Page 27 of 204 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Separately, the U17 USA bball training camp starts in a week. Excited to see how the team shakes out as its usually an indication to me whether we are recruiting the top guys at their position. Wendell Moore in particular is rated in the high teens as a SF, so I'm excited to see if he can make the team and make big contributions given he feels like a big duke lean.

Several other duke prospects there like Cary and Stewart (and probably others...)
    The 3 main Duke prospects that I'm aware of (Moore, Carey, and Stewart) made the first cut today for the U17 team. The cut was from 30 down to 18 finalists. They will do one more cut down to 12 over the next few days...

The 3 main Duke prospects that I'm aware of (Moore, Carey, and Stewart) made the first cut today for the U17 team. The cut was from 30 down to 18 finalists. They will do one more cut down to 12 over the next few days...
    Bryan Antoine is absolutely a main prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    You mean Thorton and Thorton?
    I considered posting with those spellings. I'm glad you did instead. You got more 'cred than me.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    We barely survived Greg Koubek and Brian Zoubek, and they were 19 years apart.
    Kenny Dennard and Luke Kennard was quite an adventure too.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Kenny Dennard and Luke Kennard was quite an adventure too.
    I've had a lot of trouble keeping up with the Joneses over the last few years.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Bryan Antoine is absolutely a main prospect.
    Thanks, but he isn't on the list I posted. I was just referring to the guys trying out for the U17 team that were also Duke prospects, though my 2nd post was less clear about that. (My first post was pretty clear tho )

-Update: Did a little research. Bryan Antoine tried out for the U18 team, but was cut during the first round of cuts from 30ish to 18.
    Last edited by SilkyJ; 06-19-2018 at 01:03 AM.

Is anybody else concerned that Duval going undrafted could have a negative effect on our recruiting? He was a projected lottery pick coming in and now will be fighting for a summer league invite. Derryck Thornton was also a top-15 player and at one point the top point guard in his class who failed to develop at the expected level. I realize that we have plenty of examples of point guards who did develop quickly and get to the league, but kids have short memories and you know rival coaches like Calipari are going to be in the ears of Cole Anthony and other recruits claiming that he can get them to the league faster.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Is anybody else concerned that Duval going undrafted could have a negative effect on our recruiting? He was a projected lottery pick coming in and now will be fighting for a summer league invite. Derryck Thornton was also a top-15 player and at one point the top point guard in his class who failed to develop at the expected level. I realize that we have plenty of examples of point guards who did develop quickly and get to the league, but kids have short memories and you know rival coaches like Calipari are going to be in the ears of Cole Anthony and other recruits claiming that he can get them to the league faster.
    Nope. Not concerned.

Kids know there is some ownership they have to take. Thornton hasn't played at all at USC, and everyone knows Duval can't shoot.

We still have Kyrie, and Tyus (more impressive because he is not the kind of athlete that the NBA focuses on at the lead guard spot). Those two guys outweigh the negatives of Thornton and Duval (NBA wise, they were fine players for Duke and I liked them) by a whole lot.

Cole Anthony isn't going to give two squirts that Trevon Duval didn't get drafted, IMO.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

I don’t get all the worry about the NBA as a college basketball fan. Sure we all want to see our teams players become successful, but what I really like to see as a college fan is a team that comes together and plays the best basketball possible each season by March.

You guys may laugh, but for me, the quality of Duke basketball has gone down since the decision to focus on one and done type players has taken over...despite a higher talent level.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    I don’t get all the worry about the NBA as a college basketball fan. Sure we all want to see our teams players become successful, but what I really like to see as a college fan is a team that comes together and plays the best basketball possible each season by March.

You guys may laugh, but for me, the quality of Duke basketball has gone down since the decision to focus on one and done type players has taken over...despite a higher talent level.
    I think you won't get a lot of laughs at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post

actually, i think you'll get quite a bit of support for that statement. I for one agree. The potential for amazing plays or amazing stretches has gone up, maybe. Team defense has gotten SO MUCH WORSE. So much so that K has completely abandoned the idea of playing m2m and switched to zone. He has given up on the idea of beating teams with defense and switched to overwhelming the opponent with offense, and hoping that the team can get a stop or two at the right time. Sometimes the defense even looks ok.
    The only reason i follow NBA at all is to follow Duke's alums, but in a mostly academic way. I just don't have enough of a bond with them to care all that much.
    Duke has been attracting great talent(s) lately, but hasn't produced many great teams lately. 2015 was a pretty good mix of talent and experience, and the great good luck of getting hot at the right time. I always pull for Duke to win every game, and i'm disappointed every time they lose. It's easy to blame losses on how young the team is, or lack of experience. Far as i can recall, ain't no Duke team gone undefeated, so it's hard to say if the 1-n-done model has really had too much of an impact on the team's success.

It looks like ESPN has updated their top 100 for Class of 2019.
    http://www.espn.com/college-sports/b...playerrankings

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    actually, i think you'll get quite a bit of support for that statement. I for one agree. The potential for amazing plays or amazing stretches has gone up, maybe. Team defense has gotten SO MUCH WORSE. So much so that K has completely abandoned the idea of playing m2m and switched to zone. He has given up on the idea of beating teams with defense and switched to overwhelming the opponent with offense, and hoping that the team can get a stop or two at the right time. Sometimes the defense even looks ok.
    The only reason i follow NBA at all is to follow Duke's alums, but in a mostly academic way. I just don't have enough of a bond with them to care all that much.
    Duke has been attracting great talent(s) lately, but hasn't produced many great teams lately. 2015 was a pretty good mix of talent and experience, and the great good luck of getting hot at the right time. I always pull for Duke to win every game, and i'm disappointed every time they lose. It's easy to blame losses on how young the team is, or lack of experience. Far as i can recall, ain't no Duke team gone undefeated, so it's hard to say if the 1-n-done model has really had too much of an impact on the team's success.
    I don't want to hijack the thread (more than it already was), and I mostly agree, but out of curiosity, why is it worthy of adulation when Coach K tailors his team's offense to suit the players' (and team's) strengths, but if he does it for defense, it's a sign that the quality is in the toilet? Statistically speaking, last year's zone defense was staggering. Turnover rate was disappointing, sure, but the analytics LOVED Duke's defense for the latter half of the season.

Anyway, I'm hopeful and optimistic that the impending 2019 class will be full of quality recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I don't want to hijack the thread (more than it already was), and I mostly agree, but out of curiosity, why is it worthy of adulation when Coach K tailors his team's offense to suit the players' (and team's) strengths, but if he does it for defense, it's a sign that the quality is in the toilet? Statistically speaking, last year's zone defense was staggering. Turnover rate was disappointing, sure, but the analytics LOVED Duke's defense for the latter half of the season.

Anyway, I'm hopeful and optimistic that the impending 2019 class will be full of quality recruits.
    that's a fair point. And you're right, or the analytics are, or both, that at times the zone defense was superb. With experienced players that zone would have generated an amazing amount of turnovers, and at times Duke did get quite a few turns out of the zone. Without turnovers though, even a good defense is prone to stagnant offense, which happened on multiple occasions this year. I realize that you can't have great offense and great defense all the time, but having a high turnover rate sure helps.
    So, K turning to zone was a good move for this particular iteration of Duke basketball, and it may be the only move that makes sense for this coming year. I sure do miss the days of knowing that Duke's defense was gonna be really good, because the guys had experience playing it.
    Will K and staff be able to tweak the zone (should they use it) in a way that it generates more turnovers so that this team can utilize Zion on the break? Will K and staff start recruiting 4-year guys to play zone a la Boeheim?

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    It looks like ESPN has updated their top 100 for Class of 2019.
    http://www.espn.com/college-sports/b...playerrankings
    People who want Duke to recruit more four-year players should note that Duke is involved with the number 80 and number 90 players in the class.

Along with about half the top-10.

Would posters like the upper tier players on your side or playing against them each game ? I myself would rather they be on my side. Just saying.

Update here: all 3 of those main targets mentioned above (Moore, Carey, and Stewart) all made the final roster.

I assume Carey and Stewart are redundant for us and for USAB, so will be curious to see who wins the starting role, earns more PT, performs, etc. (Though I've seen posts that say we could theoretically get Carey and Stewart...are we pitching them on potentially playing together?)
    Last edited by SilkyJ; 06-22-2018 at 03:51 PM. Reason: added link

I like Duke winning, so I want a mix that is "just right". Whatever that is. I have faith that our coaching staff will bring it about. Defense has been disappointing at times, leading to losses. Still have visions of guards driving our lanes unopposed- ugh. So I keep thinking- wait 'till next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Would posters like the upper tier players on your side or playing against them each game ? I myself would rather they be on my side. Just saying.
    Well, it's a quandary isn't it. The prospective one-and-done players are amazingly talented. They will not reach their potential as freshmen, but they can be outstanding players by the end of the season. Team defense is the usual casualty.

The obvious solution, which we are now executing: recruit a lot more players, especially if there are two or more expected OAD's. It's not a perfect solution:

Transfers: Tucker transferred this year; Jeter stayed two years before transferring. Heck, Derryck transferred after one year, even though he was playing starter minutes. Ojeleye, who would have been a big factor, stayed only one season before transferring to SMU.

Surprise OAD's: Frank, who reclassified, went to the NBA after one year. No one expected Tyus to leave for the NBA after one year.

Yet we could be getting contributions from multi-year players like Alex O., Goldwire, DeLaurier, Jack White, and Vrank (mostly a practice player).

And, mirabile dictu, Marques Bolden, who was expected to go to the NBA is coming back for his third season.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Frank, who reclassified, went to the NBA after one year.
    FWIW, I'm pretty sure Frank Jackson didn't reclassify.