Page 29 of 204 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Peach Jam starting Wednesday with a very interesting matchup with Carey vs Wiseman. Should be a packed house in North Augusta.
    Peach Jam preview:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-at-peach-jam/

I’ll be there parts of Thu. And Fri. If anyone is in town. PM me. Peach Jam is the bomb.

I don’t really follow recruiting, so let me know who I need to see from Duke’s perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Peach Jam preview:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-at-peach-jam/

I’ll be there parts of Thu. And Fri. If anyone is in town. PM me. Peach Jam is the bomb.

I don’t really follow recruiting, so let me know who I need to see from Duke’s perspective.
    From the list in the link:

Vernon Carey (C), Cole Anthony (PG), Wendell Moore (SG/SF)

Not on the list but I believe Isaiah Stewart (C) is also playing with the City Rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    From the list in the link:

Vernon Carey (C), Cole Anthony (PG), Wendell Moore (SG/SF)

Not on the list but I believe Isaiah Stewart (C) is also playing with the City Rocks.
    Stewart has been the center of a lot of attention today. He played this morning for City Rocks in a victory over Expressions Elite. Stewart led the way with 11 points (5-13 from the floor and 1-3 from the line), 11 rebounds, 3 blocks, and a steal. He was the leading scorer and rebounder on his team. After the game, Adam Zagoria had an interview and got an update on his recruitment. Stewart mentioned plans to trim his list of schools from 10 to 5 later this summer and schedule official visits. He also gave his thoughts on a couple of schools, including Louisville. Here's what he had to say about Duke:

“Coach K definitely been calling me and my family a lot more, and [assistant Jon] Scheyer as well, too. Coach K really thinks I’m a Duke kid, I have Duke traits. He really feels I can come in and be a leader. He also says he gets a feeling from certain groups, and he has that feeling with me and he feels I can do great things.
    “It’s definitely great, especially hearing that from Coach K.”

http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/07/12/c...f-this-summer/

The article mentions a little about Stewart's time on Team USA with other top target Vernon Carey, Jr. While the two haven't necessarily discussed playing together, it seems to be something that Stewart would be open about. Duke is one of the few schools on both their lists.

Evan Daniels of 247Sports also had this to say after watching Stewart play this morning:

Isaiah Stewart recently made an adjustment to his shooting mechanics. Shot looks good. Has hit a pair of mid-range jumpers in an outing against Pro Skills. An added jumper to his already impressive game is a big deal.

I don't know why, but I chuckle every time I see these pics on Twitter from the Peach Jam showing all the high-profile coaches (K, Calipari, Roy, Boeheim, etc.) lined up along the back wall of a gym sitting on little folding chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I don't know why, but I chuckle every time I see these pics on Twitter from the Peach Jam showing all the high-profile coaches (K, Calipari, Roy, Boeheim, etc.) lined up along the back wall of a gym sitting on little folding chairs.
    Peach Jam Rocks, although this may be the last year they let coaches attend. Which would suck.

Free update from 247 (Adam Rowe) on Duke's 2019 recruiting: https://247sports.com/college/duke/C...tand-119750631

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Free update from 247 (Adam Rowe) on Duke's 2019 recruiting: https://247sports.com/college/duke/C...tand-119750631
    Slept through (what must have been) earlier discussions on the Carrawell family link to Wendell Moore:

Duke took their time offering Wendell Moore... With a renewed push by head coach Mike Krzyzewski on the recruiting trail following the departure of Jeff Capel and the hiring of Chris Carrawell, whose son is a high school teammate of Moore's, Duke looks to be in an enviable position with the Five-Star wing. But there's competition lurking at NC State and Wake Forest, among other programs. Moore will take all five of his official visits before an expected decision someone this Fall.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Went to Peach Jam this morning. Caught half of Team Florida (Carey)'s game and half of PSA (Anthony)'s.

First- what a great event. I saw Penny Hardaway, K, Carrawell, Larranaga, Izzo, Bennett at one game, then walked about 150 feet and saw Scheyer, Manning, Childress, Brey, Altman, Rick Barnes at another. It was awesome to see so many great coaches and assistants. I also saw Hubert Davis.

Second- Vernon Carey. Positives: huge, physical, stays in control of his body, handles the ball pretty well for his size, can really move when he wants to. Negatives: didn't seem to want to, body language (pouting-- looked like Carrawell gave him the stink eye one time...but that could also be Carrawell), did not seem to be a natural leader. Oddly, neither did his teammate Scottie Barnes. They were getting trounced by a team from Oakland with Scottie Pippen and Kenyon Martin's kids. The Oakland team was fun to watch and just wanted it more. I thought Barnes and Carey would turn it on and take over at some point but they never did. Carey still had 18 and 11 and is a force. Still, I could see all these UAB, SDSU, LBSU coaches there thinking, "I'm gonna recruit these guys who hustle, and we're gonna knock off Carey's team in the round of 32."

Third- Cole Anthony. Wow. Ideal point guard. Positives: communication, leadership, desire, quickness, vision, got his teammates to the right spots via movement and passing on O and talking on D. Tracked back for a monster block and dove on the floor for a loose ball with his team up 16 in the final minutes. Negatives: not a Duke commit (yet?). If any other top players have motor issues, they won't have them very long if they end up playing with Cole Anthony.

I only saw a half of each game, but those were my impressions. My Kentucky friend who's been coming to the Peach Jam for years felt the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by fan345678 View Post
    Went to Peach Jam this morning. Caught half of Team Florida (Carey)'s game and half of PSA (Anthony)'s.

First- what a great event. I saw Penny Hardaway, K, Carrawell, Larranaga, Izzo, Bennett at one game, then walked about 150 feet and saw Scheyer, Manning, Childress, Brey, Altman, Rick Barnes at another. It was awesome to see so many great coaches and assistants. I also saw Hubert Davis.
    I see what you did there, and I like it!

Second- Vernon Carey. Positives: huge, physical, stays in control of his body, handles the ball pretty well for his size, can really move when he wants to. Negatives: didn't seem to want to, body language (pouting-- looked like Carrawell gave him the stink eye one time...but that could also be Carrawell), did not seem to be a natural leader. Oddly, neither did his teammate Scottie Barnes. They were getting trounced by a team from Oakland with Scottie Pippen and Kenyon Martin's kids. The Oakland team was fun to watch and just wanted it more. I thought Barnes and Carey would turn it on and take over at some point but they never did. Carey still had 18 and 11 and is a force. Still, I could see all these UAB, SDSU, LBSU coaches there thinking, "I'm gonna recruit these guys who hustle, and we're gonna knock off Carey's team in the round of 32."

Third- Cole Anthony. Wow. Ideal point guard. Positives: communication, leadership, desire, quickness, vision, got his teammates to the right spots via movement and passing on O and talking on D. Tracked back for a monster block and dove on the floor for a loose ball with his team up 16 in the final minutes. Negatives: not a Duke commit (yet?). If any other top players have motor issues, they won't have them very long if they end up playing with Cole Anthony.

I only saw a half of each game, but those were my impressions. My Kentucky friend who's been coming to the Peach Jam for years felt the same way.
    Following up on this...

In the two games I saw, and in the brief glimpses of the other two games going on at the time, there was a lot of 2-3 zone. I asked my UK buddy who's been going for years if that was typical, and he said he hadn't noticed it that much.

Does anyone know if this is normal? The teams play five games in 2.5 days (8 in 4 if they make the final), so maybe it's convenient to play zone since there's not a lot of time for film study and game prep, and they can conserve some energy.

If this is the MO for these tournaments, would that be one of the negative factors for these kids' ability to play team man-to-man when they get to college?

Interestingly, Cole Anthony played in his team's back three and was the one doing most of the talking. I assumed that was by design since he could see things happening and communicate so well.

Great reports, fan345678!

Wait a second, you mean to tell me that playing zone is a good way to maximize the abilities of players who haven't been together for very long? You're kidding!

Does make you stop and wonder what's in store for November? Or does it ?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Wait a second, you mean to tell me that playing zone is a good way to maximize the abilities of players who haven't been together for very long? You're kidding!
    Well, the players on these EYBL teams have presumably been together a while, but they're still playing zone.
    But yeah, it's not rocket science to figure out why a zone would be advantageous when there is limited (or no) practice and prep time.

Adidas Gauntlet Finale in NYC

Coach K and Jon Scheyer took in the Adidas Gauntlet 17U semifinal between D1Minnesota(with Matthew Hurt) and ITPS(with "beast mode" 6'9" Oscar Tshiebwe)on Sunday. Hurt made the game winner and looks to be a very fine player, smooth and versatile. Bill Self and Cal were also watching closely. Hurt's team lost a close game in the finals to a strong Compton Magic team.
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

E.J.Liddell keeps playing very impressively. Drew Timme and Aiden Igiehon may have caught the Duke staff's attention. Liddell could be offered.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    E.J.Liddell keeps playing very impressively. Drew Timme and Aiden Igiehon may have caught the Duke staff's attention. Liddell could be offered.
    I see that EJ's first name is Eric. Oh, the fun that the Crazies and the band could have: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chariots_of_Fire.

Following up on this...

In the two games I saw, and in the brief glimpses of the other two games going on at the time, there was a lot of 2-3 zone. I asked my UK buddy who's been going for years if that was typical, and he said he hadn't noticed it that much.

Does anyone know if this is normal? The teams play five games in 2.5 days (8 in 4 if they make the final), so maybe it's convenient to play zone since there's not a lot of time for film study and game prep, and they can conserve some energy.

If this is the MO for these tournaments, would that be one of the negative factors for these kids' ability to play team man-to-man when they get to college?

Interestingly, Cole Anthony played in his team's back three and was the one doing most of the talking. I assumed that was by design since he could see things happening and communicate so well.
    My older son is up to middle school level AAU and I can tell you there is still not a lick of m2m defense being taught. Coaches tend to believe it’s too hard for the kids to learn, and many coaches are so consumed by the goal of winning games that they default to the easier path of teaching zone - at least at this level. My kid knows the 2-3, 3-2, 1-2-2 and even 1-3-1 trapping defense far better than even the most basic m2m principles, which I have to try to teach him on the side.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

I see that EJ's first name is Eric. Oh, the fun that the Crazies and the band could have: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chariots_of_Fire.
    Party foul! I look at a link to Chariots of Fire first thing in the morning and I will now have that song in my head all day...