Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    One addition about the 1988 team, they rank higher than other teams because they beat unc three times including the acc finals
    Yes, triple crown years are about as good as it gets. I rate any of those seasons equal to those with Final 4's and just behind 91,92,91,01,10,15 and ??.

One addition about the 1988 team, they rank higher than other teams because they beat unc three times including the acc finals
    That was very special. It had been so long since that happened. 65-66 season I believe.

Good thread.. One other comparison.. 2000 season. Would you take UNC season over ours because they made a Final Four (somehow) despite that we beat them both times head to head & won regular season & tourney. Personally I take ours. Probably helped that I knew there was no way in heck that UNC team would go all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    That was very special. It had been so long since that happened. 65-66 season I believe.

Good thread.. One other comparison.. 2000 season. Would you take UNC season over ours because they made a Final Four (somehow) despite that we beat them both times head to head & won regular season & tourney. Personally I take ours. Probably helped that I knew there was no way in heck that UNC team would go all the way.
    It is very tempting to look at Duke's success and what we want in a season and wrap in UNC's results.

If we did that than 2010 is top of the list...NCAA Championship for Duke and NIT for UNC
    2002 is also high on the list only because UNC went 8-20 and nothing Duke did...

So, I tend to just look at Duke's results. The exception is the head to head match-ups (mentioned above) since a Duke win is a UNC loss.

Its not really addressing the question, it is a rare win that is better than the next win.

Expectations and a good feeling about the future count as well. In '84 we were coming off two straight losing seasons, played UNC with Jordan close twice, beat them a third time in the ACC Tournament and UNC tanked in the NCAAs against Indiana. No NCAA wins that year, but there was a feeling the team had a bright future, which of course it did.

No concerns about the stars bolting for the NBA.

That was a great season.
    Last edited by ipatent; 07-17-2017 at 09:16 AM.

Another great thing about the '88 season was not only sweeping three games from UNC, but sweeping three games with our young coach against Dean Smith. Although K had beaten Dean a few times, and made the National Championship game in '86 obviously, the 1988 season established that there was a new force on the north end of 15-501 and not just a flash in the pan.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Another great thing about the '88 season was not only sweeping three games from UNC, but sweeping three games with our young coach against Dean Smith. Although K had beaten Dean a few times, and made the National Championship game in '86 obviously, the 1988 season established that there was a new force on the north end of 15-501 and not just a flash in the pan.
    ...and together with NC State's '84 Natty, the driving force for the cheating to have a gasoline boost?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    ...and together with NC State's '84 Natty, the driving force for the cheating to have a gasoline boost?
    Didn't State win in 1983? I think Georgetown won in 1984.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    ...and together with NC State's '8[3] Natty, the driving force for the cheating to have a gasoline boost?
    Yup. Valvano's NC, K's emergence, and Bobby Cremins' recruiting streak really put Dean on his heels (so to speak) in the wake of Jordan's group moving on after '82. Duke landing Dawkins, et. al. for the 1983 season and Danny Ferry for the '85 season probably added fuel to the fire.

But since we know the whole cheating scheme was really about women's basketball, I'm sure our conjecture is without basis . . . .

(and Sage is right -- G'Town won in '84)

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Point stands even if the calendar was off.😎

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Georgetown also won in 1982...except Freddy Brown passed the ball to James Worthy.

Michigan also won in 1993...except Chris Webber called a time out.

It is so much fun to mention these things to a UNC fan and see how much they protest

Georgetown also won in 1982...except Freddy Brown passed the ball to James Worthy.

Michigan also won in 1993...except Chris Webber called a time out.

It is so much fun to mention these things to a UNC fan and see how much they protest
    And dean was cheating in 1993, too, so add that to your list of mentions.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Yup. Valvano's NC, K's emergence, and Bobby Cremins' recruiting streak really put Dean on his heels (so to speak) in the wake of Jordan's group moving on after '82. Duke landing Dawkins, et. al. for the 1983 season and Danny Ferry for the '85 season probably added fuel to the fire.

But since we know the whole cheating scheme was really about women's basketball, I'm sure our conjecture is without basis . . . .

(and Sage is right -- G'Town won in '84)
    As the fake classes started in '93 it was probably the back to back titles, i.e. K had two then and Dean still had one.

Quote Originally Posted by ipatent View Post
    As the fake classes started in '93 it was probably the back to back titles, i.e. K had two then and Dean still had one.
    I thought the fake classes started in the 1988-89 time frame and increased "moderately" around 92-93. My recollection of all the charts/graphs has been fuzzied/dulled/dimmed given all the info I've read here.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I really enjoy the regular season and watching the team progress. I enjoy watching the preseason tournaments and big matchups early on where the coaching staff often has the team further ahead than some other teams and we see some great battles. That Tyler Thornton corner three against Kansas to win that stacked tournament sure was fun. I also enjoy getting the chance to see some of the end of the bench players get a chance to show their stuff in some of the other early season games as the team struggles around exam and Christmas time. Then, there is always the question of how long will it take the new team to learn to win on the road and/or big games in ACC play. I like that every week has two games that will greatly affect our perception of the team and the ACC standings. It's fun to also think about how Duke and the rest of the conference stacks up compared to the rest of the country and how might that affect NCAAT seeding. I always like the end of ACC play and the two big games with the used to be university NC. I like the ACCT (not sure about Tuesday) where every game is big and hope to get to see a smorgasbord of basketball some year soon.
    At this point of the year, everything happens so fast as the team is always two and then one loss(es) away from never playing again. It's so final, which makes it so dramatic and exciting. NCAA championships trump all, Regional Championships are next and then ACCT Championships, but after that, a few regular season wins can certainly trump an extra NCAAT round for me.
    I don't know how to objectively value regular season vs. postseason. I am very excited for the regular season to start as we wonder if this team will learn how to win the big games and is there anything remotely approaching 82-50.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Good morning, campers. Today is evaluation day. The key word is value. Do you have any? Not yet.

Okay, let's go get our hands dirty.
    Thanks Uncle Tony

In the end, championships are the most important thing, but by championships I mean national championships. Winning the ACC tournament is great, but doesn't mean much with out a national title to follow it. I really disagree with Coach K in that I think putting up a regular season championship banner is embarrassing. I also think final four banners are embarrassing if you didn't win the championship. I don't want to celebrate 2nd, 3rd, or 4th place. There's a great old interview with Derek Jeter where they ask if he would rather miss the playoffs, lose early in the playoffs, or lose in the World Series. His response was that it doesn't matter - you lost.

That all being said, nothing is more important to me now than a win against North Carolina in Cameron. I may take that over a national title if I had to choose between the two. Luckily, they're not mutually exclusive.

Point valuation

500 - National Championship
    50 - Final Four
    20 - NCAA tournament berth
    9 - Sweet 16
    9 - ACC tournament champ
    9 - ACC regular season champ
    5 - UNC game
    2 - Home regular season game (non-UNC)
    1 - Regular season game (non-UNC)