Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435
    I guess I need to go ahead and say it a little more clearly - Pop >>> Belichick in my eyes due to traits that aren't strictly related to coaching ability. Where you stand on the political spectrum might influence which direction those ">" point for you, but this is where I was going with the anti-Belichick thing. They couldn't be more different in their reaction to many of the things going on in our world off the field, but perhaps not everyone has seen the clips of Pop going off on tangents lately. I think this does overlap with their jobs slightly in that I picture Belichick being a lot more likely to lack principles that limit what he's willing to do to win (and there is evidence for this), but 95% of what I was talking about with Pop being the "anti-Belichick" isn't between the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Pop, K, Bill and Saban are by far the best coaches.
    *I doubt I'll ever understand the salty Belichik hate. Get over it.
    "One of these things is not like the other..."

I'm not a Saban fan because he flopped in the NFL. There was a Bum Phillips quote about Shula that went something like "he'll take his and beat yours, and he could take yours and beat his." (Texas twang excluded). I don't think Saban qualifies; he just has more talent than anyone else so give him props as a recruiter and that's it. That said, I'm not sure who I would rank as best college coach right now. Swinney hasn't been at Clemson long enough. Maybe Urban Meyer?

And as a Steelers fan, I enjoy wallowing in my salty Belichik hate, even though I think he's a great coach and the cheating stuff is overblown.

Getting back on thread, it will be fun to see what Brad Steven does with the Celtics...

Also wonder what the over-under for games that Joel Embiid plays for the Sixers. I'm hoping for 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post

I'm not a Saban fan because he flopped in the NFL. There was a Bum Phillips quote about Shula that went something like "he'll take his and beat yours, and he could take yours and beat his." (Texas twang excluded). I don't think Saban qualifies; he just has more talent than anyone else so give him props as a recruiter and that's it. That said, I'm not sure who I would rank as best college coach right now. Swinney hasn't been at Clemson long enough. Maybe Urban Meyer?

And as a Steelers fan, I enjoy wallowing in my salty Belichik hate, even though I think he's a great coach and the cheating stuff is overblown.

Getting back on thread, it will be fun to see what Brad Steven does with the Celtics...

Also wonder what the over-under for games that Joel Embiid plays for the Sixers. I'm hoping for 60.
    You can't be a Steelers fan with those thoughts!

All I can say is the following: 2016, 2014, 2004, 2003, 2001.

Soooooo....yeah....

Go Pats!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    You can't be a Steelers fan with those thoughts!

All I can say is the following: 2016, 2014, 2004, 2003, 2001.

Soooooo...yeah...

Go Pats!
    Wow, way to sound/act like a Yankees or UNCheat fan.

Definitely time for the Pats to cycle back to mediocrity for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post

Hey now, let's not go around saying things we can't take back. We all have Duke in common, and there's likely not much else we can agree on. Let's be respectful.

/sorta joking

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post

After the last few pages crapped all over the Pats? Really? Street goes both ways, my friend.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    After the last few pages crapped all over the Pats? Really? Street goes both ways, my friend.
    Meh, I think criticizing the Pats is subject to an exemption from typical fairness rules

As I have been consuming preseason NBA coverage, there is a ton of talk about the "where did he come from" phenom Kyle Kuzma, rookie for the Lakers. Seeing he recently graduated from Utah, I checked the box score for the Sweet 16 game we played against them in 2015...the freshman only got in for some garbage time in the last 2 minutes. Reading more about him, he's had a somewhat steady rise from his junior year of high school until now...glad he didn't give us any problems back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    As I have been consuming preseason NBA coverage, there is a ton of talk about the "where did he come from" phenom Kyle Kuzma, rookie for the Lakers. Seeing he recently graduated from Utah, I checked the box score for the Sweet 16 game we played against them in 2015...the freshman only got in for some garbage time in the last 2 minutes. Reading more about him, he's had a somewhat steady rise from his junior year of high school until now...glad he didn't give us any problems back then.
    Unfortunately, Kuzma did eventually have a good game against us several months later -- 21 points, 8 rebounds -- when Utah beat Duke in the December MSG game.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Unfortunately, Kuzma did eventually have a good game against us several months later -- 21 points, 8 rebounds -- when Utah beat Duke in the December MSG game.
    I attended that game. He and Poeltl kind of exposed the fact that we were playing Marshall Plumlee and a bunch of guards.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Great call...that game is a big hole on my fan resume. I had a conflict during the game which angered me because I live in NY and wanted to go. When they lost, I didn't feel like watching the DVRed version so I didn't...and therefore he occupied no place in my brain.

You mean my 48th overall pick in the DBR Mock Draft?

NBA owners, I'm currently available for a GM position

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    You mean my 48th overall pick in the DBR Mock Draft?

NBA owners, I'm currently available for a GM position
    Nice value!

I looked up the same box score a few days ago after watching him play. Utah was our second biggest challenge of that tournament; I'm glad Kuzma wasn't much of a factor then. DeLon Wright, Jakob Poeltl and Kuzma..3 future NBA players on that roster 2015 Utes roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post

Why would your opinion of Saban be affected by what he did (or didn't) in the NFL? Doesn't change a thing about his college coaching abilities.

Some other notable college football coaches I guess would be Meyer (not a fan) and Harbaugh (sp?) but they aren't there in my op
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

D Wade just got named to the starting lineup for the Cavs. Does anyone else think the Cavs got worse this offseason?

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Does anyone else think the Cavs got worse this offseason?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Reseeding the playoffs 1-16 would be bad for the Cavs as well.