Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Maybe they could convince LeBron to waive the clause to play with Melo or another one of his friends. As you stated, the Cavs are a dead franchise and need to do something radical.
    Where are they going to trade him to that can beat a supporting cast of Kyrie and Love in 2017-18? (Because I don't see Lebron waiving the no-trade for a less competitive situation). And does that team have assets that Cleveland would want in return?

But besides those two questions, realistically, Cleveland isn't going to break up the best team in the Eastern Conference. Why not make another Finals (and earn all the revenue that comes with that and having Lebron as a player on your team for one more year) and give it your best shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Keeping things in perspective, Cleveland fans should be satisfied.
    This sentence is hilarious. I'm not sure which is less likely for a sports fan: "should be satisfied" or "keeping things in perspective". Asking for this level of benevolence seems unrealistic, even in Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Leaning towards exit. I'd put it at 80/20. With the current line-up, the Cavs just don't have enough firepower to overthrow the Dubs juggernaut. I know everyone points to Game 3 and argues if the Cavs won that, the series would be more competitive. But did you see Game 5? The Cavs gave it everything, and all that led to was KD doing whatever he wanted and Iguadala scoring 20 points.

These Dubs are insanely talented. With the Cavs, they can only play solid defense against 3 of the 5 players on the court. With Irving and Love, you are screwed defensively. Love is a lost cause, and Irving took a clear step back defensively compared to the 2016 Finals.

So if I'm Lebron, I'm bouncing. What about joining the Lakers with George, Ingram, and Ball (Ball at the 1, Ingram at the 2, George at the 3, Lebron at the 4)? Or the Celtics? Or the Rockets? If the goal is more championships, Lebron is gone. And he should be. He's not winning another one in Cleveland.
    I agree, he's gone. With the current construction of the Cavs roster and lack of young talent beside Kyrie I think the Cavs have given it their best shot and will only go down from here. Yea they will sleepwalk to the finals but in a year or two that may not be true with the rise of the Celtics. If Lebron knows that Cleveland is done, why not go to the Lakers. He can do his Hollywood thing and play for a good team. The Lakers with, PG, Ingram, and Ball may be more talented than the Cavs by then anyway.

Maybe they could convince LeBron to waive the clause to play with Melo or another one of his friends. As you stated, the Cavs are a dead franchise and need to do something radical.
    Wow... "dead franchise?" One year removed from their first championship, following another finals appearance?

Fickle fans...

First of all, I think the Cleveland bashing is a little silly. The folks who say they are doomed may be forgetting that they just pretty clearly showed they were the 2nd best team in the entire NBA a few weeks ago -- the only team to take a game off the Warriors and, with some luck, it could have been a much more competitive series. As long as they have Lebron and Kyrie, they've got a better shot than just about everyone else in the NBA.

Where are they going to trade him to that can beat a supporting cast of Kyrie and Love in 2017-18? (Because I don't see Lebron waiving the no-trade for a less competitive situation). And does that team have assets that Cleveland would want in return?
    Ok, want a trade that works? The ESPN Trade Machine says this is feasible.

From Cleveland - Lebron James
    From Boston - Al Horford and either Jaylen Brown or Marcus Smart plus any of Boston's fabulous draft picks.

Actually, you could do James for Horford straight up, but no way Cleveland makes that deal. That's why I think you have to sweeten with a solid young player on a favorable contract and one of those high draft picks. I think a front line of Love and Horford would actually be really effective as they both can stretch the floor and are fabulous rebounders. I think Love would become a better player, more like what he was in Minn, if he was not playing with Lebron.

You could also do this deal, though I doubt Cleveland would make this trade.

From Cleveland - Lebron James, Kyrie Irving
    From Boston - Isaiah Thomas, Al Horford, Marcus Smart, Jaylen Brown, and one of those studly draft picks

Actually, if IT agreed to sign an extension with Cleveland, I think the Cavs might consider making that deal.

-Jason "am I insane? Probably. We have not heard enough noise from James about wanting to be dealt for any of this to be possible yet" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    First of all, I think the Cleveland bashing is a little silly. The folks who say they are doomed may be forgetting that they just pretty clearly showed they were the 2nd best team in the entire NBA a few weeks ago -- the only team to take a game off the Warriors and, with some luck, it could have been a much more competitive series. As long as they have Lebron and Kyrie, they've got a better shot than just about everyone else in the NBA.

From Boston - Al Horford and either Jaylen Brown or Marcus Smart plus any of Boston's fabulous draft picks.

Actually, you could do James for Horford straight up, but no way Cleveland makes that deal. That's why I think you have to sweeten with a solid young player on a favorable contract and one of those high draft picks. I think a front line of Love and Horford would actually be really effective as they both can stretch the floor and are fabulous rebounders. I think Love would become a better player, more like what he was in Minn, if he was not playing with Lebron.

From Boston - Isaiah Thomas, Al Horford, Marcus Smart, Jaylen Brown, and one of those studly draft picks

Actually, if IT agreed to sign an extension with Cleveland, I think the Cavs might consider making that deal.

-Jason "am I insane? Probably. We have not heard enough noise from James about wanting to be dealt for any of this to be possible yet" Evans
    Did they show they were the 2nd best team in the NBA? Do you think a healthy Rockets or Spurs team could have knocked them out before western conference finals? By the way, there are some other teams that could have lost 4-1 in the finals.
    Last edited by kshepinthehouse; 07-14-2017 at 10:12 PM.

If you wait a few weeks it could be Tatum instead of Smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Wow... "dead franchise?" One year removed from their first championship, following another finals appearance?

Fickle fans...
    Not a Cleveland fan, just a basketball fan. Cleveland probably can't beat GS as it stands now (not sure anyone can). If LeBron leaves, Cleveland is in a lot of trouble in a few years.

Not a Cleveland fan, just a basketball fan. Cleveland probably can't beat GS as it stands now (not sure anyone can). If LeBron leaves, Cleveland is in a lot of trouble in a few years.
    WHEN LeBron leaves Cleveland, they will be in trouble. Same can be said for every last team that has ever lost a top 5 all time player.

If LeBron leaves next summer, you try to rebuild around Kyrie and Love. Problem is both guys are likely to opt out of their deals the following summer. Then you are in total rebuild mode in a small market.

Any idea what's going on with the Pelicans and
    Quinn, and Frank? Why sign Rondo? Quinn not shown enough?

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Just a guess, but they probably want to play Frank in the D-league and want Quinn to be a 3rd-string PG at this point his career.

Just a guess, but they probably want to play Frank in the D-league and want Quinn to be a 3rd-string PG at this point his career.
    On that note, anyone have any idea what's going on with Mason Plumlee? We all thought this would be his pay day when he locks up a $12-15/year multi-year contract in his prime. But cap space on other teams are filling up and Denver signed Paul Millsap so I'm not sure what's happening with Plumlee. He is guaranteed $5 million in qualifying offer next year but I think we were all hoping for much for than that.

Adam Himmelsbach
    @AdamHimmelsbach

The Celtics are planning to sign rookie forward Semi Ojeleye to a four-year deal, first two years guaranteed, per league source.

Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Adam Himmelsbach
    @AdamHimmelsbach

The Celtics are planning to sign rookie forward Semi Ojeleye to a four-year deal, first two years guaranteed, per league source.

Pretty standard for an early 2nd round pick who had hoped to get into the first round. I'm sure year one is for $815k (the NBA minimum for a rookie) and year 2 is $1.37 mil (the NBA minimum for a 2nd year player). Good for Semi to get 2 years guaranteed.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Pretty standard for an early 2nd round pick who had hoped to get into the first round. I'm sure year one is for $815k (the NBA minimum for a rookie) and year 2 is $1.37 mil (the NBA minimum for a 2nd year player). Good for Semi to get 2 years guaranteed.
    Standard and pretty awesomeness to me. I have always liked Semi and now the kid is made for life. We get too used to these NBA salary numbers. Would many Duke fans have thought he would have got this far after transferring? I say good for him.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    For some reason, the Pelicans view Holiday as shooting guard, so I think their depth chart looks something like this right now:
    Rondo, Jackson, Cook
    Holiday, Crawford, Toupane
    Hill, Moore, Pondexter
    Davis, Diallom, ???
    Cousins, Ajinca, Asik

I could see Toupane getting cut and perhaps Cunningham being re-signed, so that might be it for them if they cannot move some more of their dead-weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dragoneye776 View Post
    On that note, anyone have any idea what's going on with Mason Plumlee? We all thought this would be his pay day when he locks up a $12-15/year multi-year contract in his prime. But cap space on other teams are filling up and Denver signed Paul Millsap so I'm not sure what's happening with Plumlee. He is guaranteed $5 million in qualifying offer next year but I think we were all hoping for much for than that.
    Space is filling up pretty fast with not many teams out there that could give him that much money. Playing out the qualifying offer might be smart if Denver is not offering him a solid deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    I have always liked Semi and now the kid is made for life. I say good for him.
    'Made for life' with $2 million BEFORE taxes? Don't think so. In just two years his basketball career could be over. If that comes to pass he can't rely on a little over $1 million (after taxes) for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    'Made for life' with $2 million BEFORE taxes? Don't think so. In just two years his basketball career could be over. If that comes to pass he can't rely on a little over $1 million (after taxes) for the rest of his life.
    Fantastic kick start to life then and a little out of the ordinary. How about that?
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Space is filling up pretty fast with not many teams out there that could give him that much money. Playing out the qualifying offer might be smart if Denver is not offering him a solid deal.
    Mason is a restricted free agent, so any offer can be matched by Denver. The Nuggets are said to be leaning toward a match and it is interesting that when they were clearing space to make room for the Milsap max deal signing, they did not give up Mason's free agent rights. They clearly value him. I suspect the fact that he is restricted has dried up the market for him a bit, though the truth is that there is not a huge market right now for guys who are poor outside shooters. I agree that playing for the $4.58 mil qualifying offer could be a decent idea for Mason as it would allow him to be a full free agent next year.

I think Mason's combination of rim protection and elite passing would be a really nice fit on the Spurs, who just lost Dedmon to the Hawks and have to think Pau Gasol is on his last legs (and he will only play very limited minutes if he even does decide to play another season). The Spurs have no cap room as they await decision from Gasol ($19.4 mil cap hold) and Manu ($21 mil cap hold). If both of those guys decide to retire, San Antonio will have some room, but if either come back, the Spurs are capped out and they just used their $8 mil exemption on Rudy Gay.

-Jason "Mason and Nerlens Noel are probably the two most promising big men still available as free agents right now" Evans

Gbye Gbinije

Pistons waive Gbinije, only $500,000 of his $1.3 mil 2nd yr contract is guaranteed