Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Mason is a restricted free agent, so any offer can be matched by Denver. The Nuggets are said to be leaning toward a match and it is interesting that when they were clearing space to make room for the Milsap max deal signing, they did not give up Mason's free agent rights. They clearly value him. I suspect the fact that he is restricted has dried up the market for him a bit, though the truth is that there is not a huge market right now for guys who are poor outside shooters. I agree that playing for the $4.58 mil qualifying offer could be a decent idea for Mason as it would allow him to be a full free agent next year.

I think Mason's combination of rim protection and elite passing would be a really nice fit on the Spurs, who just lost Dedmon to the Hawks and have to think Pau Gasol is on his last legs (and he will only play very limited minutes if he even does decide to play another season). The Spurs have no cap room as they await decision from Gasol ($19.4 mil cap hold) and Manu ($21 mil cap hold). If both of those guys decide to retire, San Antonio will have some room, but if either come back, the Spurs are capped out and they just used their $8 mil exemption on Rudy Gay.

-Jason "Mason and Nerlens Noel are probably the two most promising big men still available as free agents right now" Evans
    The Spurs are capped out either way, regardless of what Ginobili and Gasol do. They were only able to sign Gay to the exception because they were over the cap. If they dip under it, they lose the exception and Gay's salary counts against the cap.

In short, the Spurs will not be signing Plumlee or any other external free agent of note this summer to anything above a vet minimum.

why are y'all automatically putting Frank ahead of Quinn? he's one year removed from high school and QC has been excelling in the d-league for a good while now.

I think frank has talent, but, let's see what he does in the big-boy atmosphere before we start putting him over someone like quinn..

jmho
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    why are y'all automatically putting Frank ahead of Quinn? he's one year removed from high school and QC has been excelling in the d-league for a good while now.

I think frank has talent, but, let's see what he does in the big-boy atmosphere before we start putting him over someone like quinn..

jmho
    It is obvious that you do not understand the DBR player ranking meme. 😎

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post

jmho
    One has a guaranteed contract, the other does not.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    One has a guaranteed contract, the other does not.
    I think Frank Jackson is a phenomenal NBA prospect, and so, apparently, do the Pelicans. I expect Quinn will play in the NBA for a long time, but he is older than Frank --six years out of HS and instead of one year.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Mason is a restricted free agent, so any offer can be matched by Denver. The Nuggets are said to be leaning toward a match and it is interesting that when they were clearing space to make room for the Milsap max deal signing, they did not give up Mason's free agent rights. They clearly value him. I suspect the fact that he is restricted has dried up the market for him a bit, though the truth is that there is not a huge market right now for guys who are poor outside shooters. I agree that playing for the $4.58 mil qualifying offer could be a decent idea for Mason as it would allow him to be a full free agent next year.
    Does being a restricted free agent really dry up the market for him? Seems to me that he was projected to be making $12-15 million next year by many analysts including a home page article on DBR but instead will be only be making $4.6 million. I don't think taking the restricted away from the free agent status is worth taking an almost $10 million pay cut.

Maybe the transition to Denver hurt him more than most of us thought. If he does end up playing only on the qualifying offer, I think that's terrible news for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Fantastic kick start to life then and a little out of the ordinary. How about that?
    Agreed. No doubt on that one. I hope he makes it in the league. That would mean good things for Semi and for my C's. And I'm no bandwagon fan, as I was born and raised in Boston.

Probably why I still put Larry Bird above James as the best forward in basketball history. I honestly believe it. If you didn't see Bird play upwards of 1,000 games (as I did) you might not be able to understand how truly special he was. Highlight reels don't come close to doing Larry Legend justice. And I'm rambling.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    'Made for life' with $2 million BEFORE taxes? Don't think so. In just two years his basketball career could be over. If that comes to pass he can't rely on a little over $1 million (after taxes) for the rest of his life.
    You can definitely live a better than median life on the investment returns from that sum in perpetuity.

Quote Originally Posted by dragoneye776 View Post
    Does being a restricted free agent really dry up the market for him? Seems to me that he was projected to be making $12-15 million next year by many analysts including a home page article on DBR but instead will be only be making $4.6 million. I don't think taking the restricted away from the free agent status is worth taking an almost $10 million pay cut.

Maybe the transition to Denver hurt him more than most of us thought. If he does end up playing only on the qualifying offer, I think that's terrible news for him.
    Mason is one of the casualties of the cap rising by less than it did the previous year and not as much as earlier predictions. There's also a mild oversupply of bigs compared to other positions right now. Nerlens Noel is basically in the same boat with nobody left to offer him something big that Dallas will have to match. It really depends on what Denver's actual plan is after signing Millsap and what Mason is looking for in terms of security. The cap is expected only to rise modestly next season so teams that have overspent recently will not be in much better position next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    You can definitely live a better than median life on the investment returns from that sum in perpetuity.
    said the stock salesman on October 22, 1929. Although I would certainly bend over to pick up 2 million if I saw it on the ground, this discussion got me wondering--could you really live off making 2 million over 2 years and how long. Assuming you had to pay your agents and so on 10% and taxes on the rest you would have about 1 million after taxes. If you were fairly frugal but made some reasonable indulgences and spend 150K paying off mom's mortgage and 50K to buy a nice car and 100K to live for the 2 years then you could save 700K. If you invested that in a index fund mutual fund with low expense charges and the stock market always went up and civilization didn't collapse and assuming inflation continues to behave as it has in the past you could probably take around 30K out of the fund every year and have it last "in perpetuity". So nice to have, but you would probably want to find some other income stream as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    said the stock salesman on October 22, 1929. Although I would certainly bend over to pick up 2 million if I saw it on the ground, this discussion got me wondering--could you really live off making 2 million over 2 years and how long. Assuming you had to pay your agents and so on 10% and taxes on the rest you would have about 1 million after taxes. If you were fairly frugal but made some reasonable indulgences and spend 150K paying off mom's mortgage and 50K to buy a nice car and 100K to live for the 2 years then you could save 700K. If you invested that in a index fund mutual fund with low expense charges and the stock market always went up and civilization didn't collapse and assuming inflation continues to behave as it has in the past you could probably take around 30K out of the fund every year and have it last "in perpetuity". So nice to have, but you would probably want to find some other income stream as well.
    Yeah, it's not going to generate a gigantic revenue stream, that's for sure, though it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yeah, it's not going to generate a gigantic revenue stream, that's for sure, though it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
    Or a kick in the arse with a frozen boot as my Dad used to quip.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

There seems to be some talk that Mason may get an offer sheet from the Nets. They have something like $14-17 mil of cap space at the moment (depending on some cap holds and other minutia).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

There seems to be some talk that Mason may get an offer sheet from the Nets. They have something like $14-17 mil of cap space at the moment (depending on some cap holds and other minutia).
    That'd be a less embarrassing parallel of the Knicks/Tim Hardaway Jr saga.

Really hope so. I wanna see him on a team where he can get 30+ minutes regularly. Actually I wish we could see him with the Lakers, I'm drooling watching Lonzo throw those darts all the way down the court thinking about Mason running the floor and getting thise oops. Or perhaps the Rockets with CP3.

Yes I know financially it's not possible but my dreams always involve money I seem to never have *sighs heavily*
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

JaVale McGee's reportedly pissed that the 'Dubs don't see him as a starter and spent mid-level $s on Swaggy P. 'Dubs have incredible chemistry, so adding Swaggy P was a risk, but don't need more than one chemistry risk on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by FadedTackyShirt View Post
    JaVale McGee's reportedly pissed that the 'Dubs don't see him as a starter and spent mid-level $s on Swaggy P. 'Dubs have incredible chemistry, so adding Swaggy P was a risk, but don't need more than one chemistry risk on the team.
    Being old, I have to ask: who or what is swaggy p?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Nickname of Nick Young, a shot-happy SG/SF who recently signed with the Warriors.

If you have to ask, he probably isn't important enough to have a nickname.

Thanks to CDu for the clarification. Unfortunately can't clarify who Iggy Azalea is.