Tatum To Start Single Mothers Foundation

Small tidbit, but a cool little nugget regarding Tatum's plans for his imminent financial windfall. From Bleacher Report:

Jayson Tatum plans to use his future position in the NBA to help kids who grew up like he did.

The former Duke star told USA Today he'd love to start a program to provide housing and utilities for hard-working single mothers.
    That's pretty awesome. What a great kid. Glad we had him in Duke blue, if only for a season.

That's awesome. Gotta love young people who feel a sense of obligation/civic duty and feel "blessed," if you will, when they do well. There are so many who do not.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Well, that is awesome

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aign=editorial

Maybe a little insight into why this remarkable young man chose this particular issue.

And I'm sure his even-more-remarkable mother is proud!

Edit: sheesh, didn't even notice the OP was the Bleacher Report article. Anyway, that article is well worth the read. It's absolutely inspiring to learn about the determined woman who raised Tatum!
    Last edited by davekay1971; 06-20-2017 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aign=editorial

Maybe a little insight into why this remarkable young man chose this particular issue.

And I'm sure his even-more-remarkable mother is proud!
    Brought tears to my eyes. I've always been pulling for Jayson, but he just shot to the top of my list of alumni I am proud of.

On the basketball side, I like this quote from Jay Bilas:

"Skill-wise he's ridiculous—I think he's the most talented player in the country," Bilas says. "He's built for basketball. Markelle Fultz may be ahead of him [on draft boards], but I believe Tatum's more talented. He can guard multiple positions. He's 6'8" and long. He can do more long-term than anyone in this draft.

"The hardest part is you're not drafting for now—you're drafting for later. And how good is Jayson going to be in three or four years? I think he's going to be kick-I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. good."

Am I the only one who thought of Steve Martin upon seeing the title of this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Am I the only one who thought of Steve Martin upon seeing the title of this thread?
    I was thinking that Shawn Kemp (at LEAST 7 illegitimate kids by 6 women) and Calvin Murphy (14 illegitimate kids by 9 women) beat Jason to the punch.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I was thinking that Shawn Kemp (at LEAST 7 illegitimate kids by 6 women) and Calvin Murphy (14 illegitimate kids by 9 women) beat Jason to the punch.
    Yeah, but Steve's was a comic bit, not reality, as far as we know.

For the young and/or forgetful, it goes something like this

Martin: "I do a lot of work with unwed mothers. You know ... helping them get their start."

That's really cool for Tatum. I's great that he is able to be focused on a dire social issue at such a young age. I know that his life circumstances have brought the plight of single mothers into view but a lot of 18 year olds staring down a multi million dollar deal would be more focused on which sport car would pick up the most hot chicks. He seems like a really good and grounded guy.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Then there is the winner and all-time champion Antonio Cromartie, who is up to 14 kids. Granted, the more recent ones are with someone he is married to, but he earlier had eight with seven women. The most recent ones have allegedly come post-vasectomy - I think the doctor who did that surgery, who thought he was doing a service to mankind by putting Cromartie out of business as a baby-maker, should instead have his license suspended.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.6e4b8876530c