Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread For Only Tracking Early Entry & Transfers (Formerly ACC Roster Moves)

Moderator Note- Please honor the request to use this thread to report and track early entries, transfers, other roster moves, and please stay on topic (That means you too Newton_14). I am to blame for causing the original thread started by Troublemaker to go off track. Hopefully this thread will stay on topic and folks can come in the thread and easily find updates on who's going, who's staying, etc.

Thanks

The mods can stifle this is they want, but it really bugs me that the thread that I thought was set up to track players declaring for the draft has devolved into another debate as to the merits of the draft and the philosophy of early entry. Actual draft news is buried.

No problem with debating the merits of the draft and early entry thread, but can we please have a place to track actual news of early entry ACC players -- and players who announce that they are staying? I thought we could do that here, along with noting transfers in and out. There have been and will lot of those.

To catch up, we have the following ACC players declaring for the draft:

Tyler Lydon, Syracuse -- will hire agent
    Omar Yurtseven, NC State -- will not hire agent and could return
    Austin Nichols, Virginia -- will hire agent

As for transfers, the only one I thought I knew about was Michael Gilmore, a 6-8 transfer from VCU to Miami. But he was booted from the Miami program in January

Any that I missed?

As for draft speculation, you might be interested in this free article from the ACC Sports Journal. But take it FWIW, it's just the Sports Journal (the old Poop Sheet) and it no longer contains anybody with any inside info):

https://accsports.com/acc-news/accnb...eid=14ed22ef88
    Last edited by Newton_14; 03-22-2017 at 09:51 PM.

Yeah we may need the mods to re-title the threads. I'm okay with starting fresh with your thread since the other one got side-tracked.

However, I am also interested in what happens to Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona, etc. so hopefully we don't have to limit it to just the ACC.

Agreed, i saw that it was like 2 pages already and thought "wow, that's a lot of people leaving early". Was very disappointed when only the first few posts were actually on topic.

Per Duke, Tatum to the pros.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Per Duke, Tatum to the pros.
    Well, there it is.

No word in the official release as to whether or not he hires an agent, but I think it's most unlikely that he doesn't. He's gone.

Tatum's statement from the official release:

“I’m excited to take the next step in pursuing my lifelong dream of playing basketball at the highest possible level,” Tatum said. “With that said, I’ve loved my time at Duke. The Brotherhood is a real thing and I’ll always be part of the bond between former, current and future Duke players. I want to thank my teammates, coaches, family and friends for the unwavering support I’ve received as I pursue my dream.”

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    No word in the official release as to whether or not he hires an agent, but I think it's most unlikely that he doesn't. He's gone.

Tatum's statement from the official release:

“I’m excited to take the next step in pursuing my lifelong dream of playing basketball at the highest possible level,” Tatum said. “With that said, I’ve loved my time at Duke. The Brotherhood is a real thing and I’ll always be part of the bond between former, current and future Duke players. I want to thank my teammates, coaches, family and friends for the unwavering support I’ve received as I pursue my dream.”
    Yeah, Duke doesn't typically do an announcement like this unless the guy is gone. Frankly, I don't even think we've had a player "test the waters" and come back. When players have gone, they've declared and not looked back. When players have stayed, they've said they were staying and didn't do the "waters testing."

When Duke makes an announcement, it's pretty much always been a final decision.

Yeah, Duke doesn't typically do an announcement like this unless the guy is gone. Frankly, I don't even think we've had a player "test the waters" and come back. When players have gone, they've declared and not looked back. When players have stayed, they've said they were staying and didn't do the "waters testing."

When Duke makes an announcement, it's pretty much always been a final decision.
    well, to be fair, the testing the waters thing has only been feasible for the last few years, and over that time, most of our players have been squarely in the "gone" or "not gone" camp. The only one I can think of that may have been in the middle was Grayson last year.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    well, to be fair, the testing the waters thing has only been feasible for the last few years, and over that time, most of our players have been squarely in the "gone" or "not gone" camp. The only one I can think of that may have been in the middle was Grayson last year.
    Technically, testing the waters has been an option for quite a while. There was a stretch where the NCAA made it virtually impossible to actually test the waters. But that has been relaxed again more recently. But we've had some guys who - in years past - could have tested and come back. I'm talking more like 8-12 years ago. And those guys didn't do it. Or at least they didn't announce it.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    The mods can stifle this is they want, but it really bugs me that the thread that I thought was set up to track players declaring for the draft has devolved into another debate as to the merits of the draft and the philosophy of early entry. Actual draft news is buried.

No problem with debating the merits of the draft and early entry thread, but can we please have a place to track actual news of early entry ACC players -- and players who announce that they are staying? I thought we could do that here, along with noting transfers in and out. There have been and will lot of those.

To catch up, we have the following ACC players declaring for the draft:

Tyler Lydon, Syracuse -- will hire agent
    Omar Yurtseven, NC State -- will not hire agent and could return
    Austin Nichols, Virginia -- will hire agent

As for transfers, the only one I thought I knew about was Michael Gilmore, a 6-8 transfer from VCU to Miami. But he was booted from the Miami program in January

Any that I missed?

As for draft speculation, you might be interested in this free article from the ACC Sports Journal. But take it FWIW, it's just the Sports Journal (the old Poop Sheet) and it no longer contains anybody with any inside info):

https://accsports.com/acc-news/accnb...eid=14ed22ef88
    Thanks for the update and I agree that we should have a "Roster Moves - Announcements" thread and a "Roster Moves - Commentary" thread so those of us who just want a quick fix can get it. I love reading people's thoughts and analysis but there are only so many hours in a day...

Double Thread is annoying

It's too bad the other thread was hijacked because posting updates in both is the worst...

Per Evan Daniels and multiple sources, John Collins will test the high seas without hiring an agent.

Also, per Quick Rick Pitino, Deng Adel, Jaylen Johnson, & Donovan Mitchell will test the waters without an agent.
    Last edited by English; 03-22-2017 at 04:47 PM. Reason: More names

UVA losing Shayok and Reuter to transfer as well as Perrantes graduating.

Quote Originally Posted by jhmoss1812 View Post
    Were the transfers expected or unexpected? Shayok seemed like a long-term program guy and while he struggled this season, I had assumed he would have a reasonably large role as a senior. But I don't follow the UVA program that closely.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Shayok? Wow, that seems surprising. He seemed to be a big part of the offense. Was it scheme related? Were there concerns about upcoming/incoming players?

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Were the transfers expected or unexpected? Shayok seemed like a long-term program guy and while he struggled this season, I had assumed he would have a reasonably large role as a senior. But I don't follow the UVA program that closely.
    I thought UVa was the 4 year program we needed to retool to emulate?

Technically, testing the waters has been an option for quite a while. There was a stretch where the NCAA made it virtually impossible to actually test the waters. But that has been relaxed again more recently. But we've had some guys who - in years past - could have tested and come back. I'm talking more like 8-12 years ago. And those guys didn't do it. Or at least they didn't announce it.
    This is interesting. I feel like this year we have a couple of players who might really benefit from testing the waters, and might decide to come back afterwards. But if they do that, maybe we won't actually know about it, at least officially (unless they actually go to the draft camp).

As I write, though, I realize that this is not actually news about players' plans. So my bad.

Re Tatum signing an agent, interestingly, CBS Sports reported he was planning to--but their source was the Duke statement that doesn't say anything about signing an agent. That being said, the statement is clearer than clear that there is nothing tentative about Jayson's decision.

Shayok? Wow, that seems surprising. He seemed to be a big part of the offense. Was it scheme related? Were there concerns about upcoming/incoming players?
    Reuter was expected. Solid post moves but completely outmatched by ACC level bigs. Could see him being a good player at a mid-major program.

Shayok was surprising to me. From what I hear, he should be graduating this year (despite being a junior) so he should be eligible for a grad transfer. Shayok has a nice offensive game but was wildly inconsistent. I have no idea why he's leaving but it would not surprise me if he was frustrated by the system. I've also heard that DeAndre Hunter and Jay Huff are going to be really good after redshirting so maybe he was worried about losing some minutes. Definitely a big loss for us though. Hopefully, we can find some solid transfers and really make a big splash in the 2018 class.

Shayok is surprising to me. As far as I can tell he is not a redshirt junior. Unless he has put in some serious work at Mr Jefferson's University graduate transfer doesn't appear to be an option.

EDIT: While typing this jhmoss1812 updated that Shayok could be a grad transfer. That makes sense to me that he may want to showcase his skills in a more uptempo offensive system
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Reuter was expected. Solid post moves but completely outmatched by ACC level bigs. Could see him being a good player at a mid-major program.

Shayok was surprising to me. From what I hear, he should be graduating this year (despite being a junior) so he should be eligible for a grad transfer. Shayok has a nice offensive game but was wildly inconsistent. I have no idea why he's leaving but it would not surprise me if he was frustrated by the system. I've also heard that DeAndre Hunter and Jay Huff are going to be really good after redshirting so maybe he was worried about losing some minutes. Definitely a big loss for us though. Hopefully, we can find some solid transfers and really make a big splash in the 2018 class.
    "Over a five-game stretch beginning with UVA’s 70-55 win at N.C. State on Feb. 25, Shayok logged a total of 54 minutes, as Guy and Jerome got starts in Bennett’s four-guard lineup.”

http://augustafreepress.com/shayok-r...tball-program/

Shayock may have seen the writing on the wall.

I posted this in another thread, but it's the best site I've found so far to track early entries:

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/03/...ants-list.html

I checked just a few minutes ago and it seems to be keeping up with today's news -- Bacon, Collins, Adel, Mitchell and Jaylen Johnson