The U.S. Open starts today at Erin Hills in Wisconsin. The British Open (a/k/a "The Open Championship," depending on where one resides) begins July 20th at Royal Birkdale. I figured we could discuss them both here.

As for this weekend, the story up until now is Phil Mickelson's now-fully-official decision to withdraw from the tournament to attend his daughter's high school graduation. He held out some hope that a lengthy weather delay might make it possible for him to make his afternoon tee time following the commencement exercises. Alas, Mother Nature had other ideas, with no rain in sight.

Coming into this weekend, we have had a string of first-time winners in the major championships lately; since Jordan Spieth won the 2015 US Open to take his second major, the rest of the winners have been first-timers. That probably bodes well for a guy like Rickie Fowler, who is already -6 through 14 holes today. That said, I predict those who have complained loudly about the length of the fescue at Erin Hills will fare poorly (I'm looking at you, Kevin Na and Lee Westwood).

And let's hope the Fox broadcast team has improved greatly . . . . .