Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 128
  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    UNC, I assume, is one of the top revenue generators in the NCAA. Almost certainly well ahead of Louisville, Syracuse, or other recent NCAA offenders. Bot a stretch to see how that might lead to less of a tough love approach by the NCAA.

    Hope I am wrong!
    Do not underestimate the influence of Mr. Swofford. Most assuredly, he stayed out of the Louisville situation and he's heavily involved lobbying for the Cheats in their "minor" tribulations.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Carolina Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I think he means, in Jay's own mind
    Correct OPK

  3. #103

    The Kirk Strategy ala UNC - Either they are going down or we are.

    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Do not underestimate the influence of Mr. Swofford. Most assuredly, he stayed out of the Louisville situation and he's heavily involved lobbying for the Cheats in their "minor" tribulations.
    I've never seen so much 'confidence' as I've seen out of I.C. They have swallowed the party line and already know where this thing is going to end up. If I may roughly quote, "The NCAA is way off base and trying to bend the rules and lie in order to flex their muscles and screw us. Everyone knows they are not following their own bylaws. We will take them to court, possibly even get punitive damages and our case may be the straw that breaks the NCAA's back. Check back in a year from now and this whole thing should be resolved in our favor with possibly a few minor penalties to women's BB. The NCAA is about to get a dose of their own medicine."

    No one wants to be held accountable when they are caught cheating, but this is beyond that. I can't quite find a word for it. Either everyone on the Duke board does not understand the case and what really happened over there, or UNC has circled the wagons and refuses to see the facts that are staring them in the face as reported in the Wainstein report. Which is it?

    Hopefully, the COI will clear this up. When they rule do they present some of the evidence as justification of their penalties? This would help to clear up the misinformation circulating, and from all appearances being put out by UNC. Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle. I guess time will tell.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by duke80 View Post
    I've never seen so much 'confidence' as I've seen out of I.C. They have swallowed the party line and already know where this thing is going to end up. If I may roughly quote, "The NCAA is way off base and trying to bend the rules and lie in order to flex their muscles and screw us. Everyone knows they are not following their own bylaws. We will take them to court, possibly even get punitive damages and our case may be the straw that breaks the NCAA's back. Check back in a year from now and this whole thing should be resolved in our favor with possibly a few minor penalties to women's BB. The NCAA is about to get a dose of their own medicine."

    No one wants to be held accountable when they are caught cheating, but this is beyond that. I can't quite find a word for it. Either everyone on the Duke board does not understand the case and what really happened over there, or UNC has circled the wagons and refuses to see the facts that are staring them in the face as reported in the Wainstein report. Which is it?
    What did you mean by 'Either everyone on the Duke board does not understand the case and what really happened over there'?

    In any case, I want those UNC cheaters to go down, and go down HARD. They deserve a severe punishment, possibly on a level just above the 'death penalty' given to SMU in the 80's.

    And I say this knowing that my daughter, a rising high school senior, is applying to UNC and might well end up as a student there. I don't care. I want those smug, entitled, holier-than-thou jerks to get absolutely hammered for their shameless and destructive long-term cheating.
    Last edited by Steven43; 06-17-2017 at 05:24 PM.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by duke80 View Post
    "The NCAA is about to get a dose of their own medicine."
    ...hubris much?

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    ...hubris much?
    Hubris is the word that came instantly to my mind.

    I'm probably being petty in another thread.

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I think he means, in Jay's own mind.

    I think we need a separate thread on Jay and maybe there already is one. Every discussion of the NCAA devolves into a thread about UNCheat, which then devolves into a discussion of Jay.
    Jay Bilas: NCAA officials ‘breaking their own rules’ to punish UNC in athletics scandal
    http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...156649234.html

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Jay Bilas: NCAA officials ‘breaking their own rules’ to punish UNC in athletics scandal
    http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...156649234.html
    what a surprise. bilas continues to parrot unc's talking points in complete lockstep with the administration. as i've said many times, the chances that he independently came to his conclusions at the same point unc has put out the identical arguments are very close to zero. the only question is why he has chosen to be a mouthpiece for unc.

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by bob blue devil View Post
    what a surprise. bilas continues to parrot unc's talking points in complete lockstep with the administration. as i've said many times, the chances that he independently came to his conclusions at the same point unc has put out the identical arguments are very close to zero. the only question is why he has chosen to be a mouthpiece for unc.
    He has chosen to say these things because UNC's opponent is the NCAA, plain and simple. In his mind, there is no greater opponent than the NCAA, and he will fight them to the death.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta 'burbs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    He has chosen to say these things because UNC's opponent is the NCAA, plain and simple. In his mind, there is no greater opponent than the NCAA, and he will fight them to the death.
    Plus, the person who signs his paycheck at ESPN is a unc grad.

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    He has chosen to say these things because UNC's opponent is the NCAA, plain and simple. In his mind, there is no greater opponent than the NCAA, and he will fight them to the death.
    Except that he thiinks it's fine to punish Louisville. I really don't understand why Bilas refuses to discuss the criminality of Chapel Hill High refusing to provide any educational opportunity to its student athletes.

  12. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Except that he thiinks it's fine to punish Louisville. I really don't understand why Bilas refuses to discuss the criminality of Chapel Hill High refusing to provide any educational opportunity to its student athletes.
    Actually, Bilas thinks the Louisville penalties went too far, considering that other impermissible benefits cases have relied heavily on the "cash value" of said benefits, whereas this case was harsher because it was "repugnant." Bilas believes that "it is disgusting" is not a good rationale for worse penalties.

    As I say, you can not like Bilas, but he does love to trash the NCAA.

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    As I say, you can not like Bilas, but he does love to trash the NCAA.
    yep. how cowardly to pick on the blob that has almost nobody deeply motivated to stand up for them, rather than any of the underlying members of that blob who have passionate stakeholders.

  14. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by bob blue devil View Post
    yep. how cowardly to pick on the blob that has almost nobody deeply motivated to stand up for them, rather than any of the underlying members of that blob who have passionate stakeholders.
    Well, and that's sort of the weird thing... the NCAA is such an odd institution. It exists FOR the individual colleges and universities, as a system of checks and balances. But at the end of the day, they work for the members.

    I said several years ago (that's depressing in and of itself) that this UNC case is a watershed moment for the NCAA. At this point, if they don't hammer UNC with unprecedented penalties, they will effectively neuter themselves and pull the cover back on their obsolescence. If drop the death penalty on UNC, they run the risk of overplaying their hand, and making member institutions question whether they truly want/need the NCAA as an oversight organization, when they could simply continue to grow power conferences and negotiate their own TV rights.

    I disagree with Bilas about the inevitability of UNC getting penalties thrown out on appeal, but everything I have seen thus far does seem to suggest they will continue to fight until their last breath.

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Well, and that's sort of the weird thing... the NCAA is such an odd institution. It exists FOR the individual colleges and universities, as a system of checks and balances. But at the end of the day, they work for the members.

    I said several years ago (that's depressing in and of itself) that this UNC case is a watershed moment for the NCAA. At this point, if they don't hammer UNC with unprecedented penalties, they will effectively neuter themselves and pull the cover back on their obsolescence. If drop the death penalty on UNC, they run the risk of overplaying their hand, and making member institutions question whether they truly want/need the NCAA as an oversight organization, when they could simply continue to grow power conferences and negotiate their own TV rights.

    I disagree with Bilas about the inevitability of UNC getting penalties thrown out on appeal, but everything I have seen thus far does seem to suggest they will continue to fight until their last breath.
    I disagree with your premise that the death penalty would be over playing their hand by the NCAA. That penalty, supported by facts and evidence, would be well received by the basketball community. I still believe that most fans and schools are people and organizations of integrity. I hope that I am not fooling myself.

  16. #116
    There is NO chance that UNC will get the death penalty.

    There is almost no chance that the death penalty will ever be levied again -- to anybody.

    I happen to be one of those who think UNC will be hammered ... but it won't be the death penalty.

    And, yes, UNC will appeal all the way, but unless they can get the case before a UNC judge -- like Orange County Judge Allen Baddour, who has helped them several times -- their chances of winning are infinitesimal.

  17. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I disagree with your premise that the death penalty would be over playing their hand by the NCAA. That penalty, supported by facts and evidence, would be well received by the basketball community. I still believe that most fans and schools are people and organizations of integrity. I hope that I am not fooling myself.
    Well, there's likely a divide between "most fans and school" and "power conference members with millions of dollars on the line."

    Hence, why I could see schools deciding that the NCAA works great for D2 swimming or what have you, but D1 basketball/football not so much.

    Honestly, something like this would greatly diminish my interest in college sports. But, I think it would be a reflection of the "minor league" reality that revenue college sports has achieved.

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    UNC, I assume, is one of the top revenue generators in the NCAA. Almost certainly well ahead of Louisville, Syracuse, or other recent NCAA offenders. Bot a stretch to see how that might lead to less of a tough love approach by the NCAA.

    Hope I am wrong!
    Yup, you are wrong

    The latest revenue figures I could find were for 2014-15, which is pretty current. UNC had athletic revenues of $89.1 million, placing them 32nd out of all schools that reported revenues. Louisville was #22 with $104 mil in revenue. The top revenue generators are all the football powerhouses because a successful football program is a massive revenue stream. The highest ranking for any ACC school is Florida State at #13 with $120 mil in revenue.

    So, the notion that UNC has some special status with the NCAA because it is some "big boy" university while Louisville is not just does not jive with the facts here.

    It is worth noting that most of the large D1 private universities, who do not have to declare revenue figures, do not release them. So you will not find Duke or Syracuse in the rankings I linked above. That said, a little digging seems to indicate that Duke has athletic department revenues of $78 mil while Syracuse has revenues of $73 mil -- the same general range as fellow ACC schools Ga Tech ($77 mil) and NC State ($76 mil).

    -Jason "in recent years, the NCAA slammed USC (#84 mil), Ohio State (#3, $167 mil), and Penn St (#10, $125 mil)... if they can be hurt, so can UNC" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    There is NO chance that UNC will get the death penalty.

    There is almost no chance that the death penalty will ever be levied again -- to anybody.

    I happen to be one of those who think UNC will be hammered ... but it won't be the death penalty.

    And, yes, UNC will appeal all the way, but unless they can get the case before a UNC judge -- like Orange County Judge Allen Baddour, who has helped them several times -- their chances of winning are infinitesimal.
    Agree. Also, I believe any action w'd be a federal case, not one decided in state court.

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Moved
    Last edited by swood1000; 06-19-2017 at 01:45 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. House of Cards
    By chaosmage in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-21-2014, 08:57 PM
  2. SoCal Slammed
    By BD80 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 08-27-2010, 12:01 PM
  3. Arizona and Olsen slammed by additional NCAA sanctions
    By 4decadedukie in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-30-2010, 04:27 PM
  4. Business cards for children
    By BCGroup in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-09-2008, 09:44 AM
  5. Report cards
    By DukieInBrasil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-10-2007, 11:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •