Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: 2017 NBA Finals

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I have lived in LA -- Pacific Palisades -- and worked in Santa Monica. My opinion is that, if one is extremely wealthy, there are only a few cities with high appeal. LA, SF and NYC are on this very short list. Maybe wealthy 20-somethings would add a couple of others (Miami?).

For upper middle class and below -- most of us, I expect -- LA has some challenges -- cost of living, traffic, smog away from the coast, etc. For the richest, though, you have great weather, lots and lots of entertainment plus the entertainment business, loads of art and culture, and great residential locations in the hills above Sunset.

Just my opinion. I'd be interested in dissents, especially from those who have lived in So. Cal.
    I would guess about 80% of the extremely wealthy share roughly the same tastes, and therefore you're probably right about them. But, I gotta think there is a 20% or so (maybe more) who dissent. Doesn't Warren Buffett live in Omaha, for example?

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Doesn't Warren Buffett live in Omaha, for example?
    Yep, Warren is cheap. For example, he eats breakfast everyday at McDonalds. On a good day, he supersizes.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I have lived in LA -- Pacific Palisades -- and worked in Santa Monica. My opinion is that, if one is extremely wealthy, there are only a few cities with high appeal. LA, SF and NYC are on this very short list. Maybe wealthy 20-somethings would add a couple of others (Miami?).

For upper middle class and below -- most of us, I expect -- LA has some challenges -- cost of living, traffic, smog away from the coast, etc. For the richest, though, you have great weather, lots and lots of entertainment plus the entertainment business, loads of art and culture, and great residential locations in the hills above Sunset.

Just my opinion. I'd be interested in dissents, especially from those who have lived in So. Cal.
    Although I hate to add to this inane discussion, I just wanted to say that IMHO (where the H is somewhere with sagerouse), he has it right. I think that being super wealthy and living in LA (or NYC) is very different than being middle class and living there. I wouldn't want to live in LA but I suspect that if I was super rich I'd be more OK with it because I could afford a better side of town, land, transportation and I'd have the means to travel. I still wouldn't do it, I'm an East Coast kind of guy, but I can see where it'd make sense to some.

I also agree with those that say that there aren't a whole lot of safe assumptions when it comes to where people want to live. I've often said I'd rather flip burgers in NC than have a 'real' job in NYC. As for Paul George, since he's stated that he wants to go back home to LA, I think the whole argument is moot.

Your post-season NBA thoughts should now be posted in this thread. Thanks!!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?