Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NBA Finals

Looks like the Cavs are more interested in Jimmy Butler.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=1-19682349

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Saying LA is a better place to live is an opinion and it's offends me that you are trying to pass it off as a fact. Give me Cleveland over LA any day. Have you been to both cities? Have you spent any time at all in CLE?
    Wait, does it really offend you?

In a discussion about a guy who is from LA, who has publicly said he'd like to go back home to LA, it offends you that someone would suggest that LA is the better location than Cleveland? Touchy.

And why play every game if we know GSW and Cavs are going to the finals? Where is the fun in the league if 2 teams continue to add to their 8 all-stars in hopes of besting the others? If you're one of about 24 teams' fans why go to a game unless they are playing Cleveland or GSW? The 80s had the Celtics and Lakersbut at least there were other teams who had legitimate shots to stop them Pistons, Bucks, Rockets, Sixers, etc. Who has a serious chance to knock off GSW? Houston and the Spurs aren't going to be able to add much to get over the hump in the post season. Celtics have the best chance of any to upset the Cavs but I don't think Fox or Tatum get them there. It isn't worth investing time watching when you know the regular season and 1st three rounds of the playoffs outcome.

The NBA wont. It makes a cap to pretend to care but it is only a soft cap, not a hard one.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Wait, does it really offend you?

In a discussion about a guy who is from LA, who has publicly said he'd like to go back home to LA, it offends you that someone would suggest that LA is the better location than Cleveland? Touchy.
    Basketball aside, better location in Paul George's mind? Sure, because that's where he is from. I took the post as a definitive "la is better than Cle to everyone" claim. Which I don't like at all. People talk some serious crap on my hometown when Cleveland gets into the sports news. I am willing to bet 90% of these people have never been and 99% have never spent more than a few days there. It's offensive. To me. No one talks crap on my city without me defending it.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    He's back lol.

P.S. It's also been rumored that Lebron is ready to ditch Cleveland and head to LA.
    I never left...I posted this to defend my city against someone who has probably never been there.
    And I guarantee Lebron will never say LA is a better place than the Cleveland/Akron area.

Basketball aside, better location in Paul George's mind? Sure, because that's where he is from. I took the post as a definitive "la is better than Cle to everyone" claim. Which I don't like at all. People talk some serious crap on my hometown when Cleveland gets into the sports news. I am willing to bet 90% of these people have never been and 99% have never spent more than a few days there. It's offensive. To me. No one talks crap on my city without me defending it.

I never left...I posted this to defend my city against someone who has probably never been there.
    And I guarantee Lebron will never say LA is a better place than the Cleveland/Akron area.
    Where do you think 99% of stars would rather be, Cleveland or Los Angeles?

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Is it also wrong for superstars to take less money to make sure their team can continue to be a superteam?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...-sign-warriors
    When you're making $20M+ a year, I don't think it really matters...That's more money that he could possibly spend especially given that he actually earned $60M this year and has guaranteed endorsements paying him hundreds of millions. And I think winning the championship probably can get you more publicity/endorsement money anyways. Money wagged the tail more when players were maxing out at a "paltry" $10M/year. But money is so obscene right now that when you get near max deals, it's not much of a difference really (except for maybe agents and other enoutage folks trying to convince them it is). I get your point though. It's a bit funny when you think about it that the world we live in pays guys who play a game so much money and it's often based on POTENTIAL (or past performance) not even actual performance for that season, but obviously that's what the market bears and the player's attorneys have negotiated across all/most the sports leagues.

Where do you think 99% of stars would rather be, Cleveland or Los Angeles?
    I would say 99% is wayyyyy too high for either city. Is LA more appealing to the young basketball player? Sure. By how much? Not sure. I go to LA frequently for business and I hate everything about it. Surely I am not the only one?

I would say 99% is wayyyyy too high for either city. Is LA more appealing to the young basketball player? Sure. By how much? Not sure. I go to LA frequently for business and I hate everything about it. Surely I am not the only one?
    I would rather chew glasd than live in LA. There's more to life than weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    You're also not a multi millionaire star athlete.

You're also not a multi millionaire star athlete.
    You suggest that all millionaire athletes would choose LA over other places? Seems unlikely to me. Athletes have diverse priorities, just like the rest of us.

You suggest that all millionaire athletes would choose LA over other places? Seems unlikely to me. Athletes have diverse priorities, just like the rest of us.
    I agree. But before Lebron name the last huge free agent Cleveland signed. The Lakers have cashed in huge in free agency over the years. Is this a coincidence?

I agree. But before Lebron name the last huge free agent Cleveland signed. The Lakers have cashed in huge in free agency over the years. Is this a coincidence?
    Of course not. I am just saying that it isn't a given that everyone prefers Los Angeles to everywhere else. Clearly, the Lakers have been a premier destination for decades, but that's not just because of the beach and the movie scene. The team was at the top of the league for several decades - might have had an impact on how attractive it has been historically.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    When you're making $20M+ a year, I don't think it really matters...That's more money that he could possibly spend especially given that he actually earned $60M this year and has guaranteed endorsements paying him hundreds of millions. And I think winning the championship probably can get you more publicity/endorsement money anyways. Money wagged the tail more when players were maxing out at a "paltry" $10M/year. But money is so obscene right now that when you get near max deals, it's not much of a difference really (except for maybe agents and other enoutage folks trying to convince them it is). I get your point though. It's a bit funny when you think about it that the world we live in pays guys who play a game so much money and it's often based on POTENTIAL (or past performance) not even actual performance for that season, but obviously that's what the market bears and the player's attorneys have negotiated across all/most the sports leagues.
    I dunno. Antoine Walker lost all of his money, $100+ million from salary alone, and he hung 'em up almost 10 years ago.

There are so many great ways for pro athletes to lose huge chunks of their money.

There are also many reasons people would chose LA over Cleveland.

Does anyone think that Paul George would rather chew glass than live in LA?

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post

No, he has publicly stated that he wants to go there. I am referring to the assumption that ALL athletes would rather be in LA, given the choice. Blanket statements like that are rarely accurate and also ignore that athletes are not of a singular mindset that LA is the greatest home on earth.

No, he has publicly stated that he wants to go there. I am referring to the assumption that ALL athletes would rather be in LA, given the choice. Blanket statements like that are rarely accurate and also ignore that athletes are not of a singular mindset that LA is the greatest home on earth.
    I think we're getting into an inane discussion here.

The entire discussion arose from whether or not George would want to play in LA rather than Cleveland. George has made it known that he'd like to play for the Lakers when his contract is up. That would seem to suggest his preferences.

The rest seems kind of immaterial. Are there folks that would prefer Cleveland (or Indianapolis, or other cities) to LA? I'm pretty sure there are. Are there folks that would prefer LA to those other cities? I'm pretty sure there. Does that really matter when we are talking about a specific player's interests? Especially when said player has already given indications of his interests?

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

The entire discussion arose from whether or not George would want to play in LA rather than Cleveland. George has made it known that he'd like to play for the Lakers when his contract is up. That would seem to suggest his preferences.

The rest seems kind of immaterial. Are there folks that would prefer Cleveland (or Indianapolis, or other cities) to LA? I'm pretty sure there are. Are there folks that would prefer LA to those other cities? I'm pretty sure there. Does that really matter when we are talking about a specific player's interests? Especially when said player has already given indications of his interests?
    I agree with all your statements.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    So, what else is new?

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post

Danny Ferry once faked his death to avoid playing in Cleveland.

I have lived in LA -- Pacific Palisades -- and worked in Santa Monica. My opinion is that, if one is extremely wealthy, there are only a few cities with high appeal. LA, SF and NYC are on this very short list. Maybe wealthy 20-somethings would add a couple of others (Miami?).

For upper middle class and below -- most of us, I expect -- LA has some challenges -- cost of living, traffic, smog away from the coast, etc. For the richest, though, you have great weather, lots and lots of entertainment plus the entertainment business, loads of art and culture, and great residential locations in the hills above Sunset.

Just my opinion. I'd be interested in dissents, especially from those who have lived in So. Cal.