Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NBA Finals

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Is location really a big deal to George? He just spent 7 years in Indianapolis which is only about 300 miles from Cleveland.
    Apparently it is, what else is drawing him to LA?

Is location really a big deal to George? He just spent 7 years in Indianapolis which is only about 300 miles from Cleveland.
    I've never been to Cleveland, but get the sense that it's pretty different than Indy. Both are worlds away from LA. There are probably countless people who have moved from one of those cities to one of the others based on location.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Question is does Cleveland want to give valuable assets for what most likely looks like a one year rental.
    I would, especially if they can clear cap space in the process. Pacers have almost 0 leverage here and if I'm Cleveland I try to move Love and Shumpert and maybe picks or more role players for George and whomever else (Miles, Allen, Lance, Ellis)
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I would, especially if they can clear cap space in the process. Pacers have almost 0 leverage here and if I'm Cleveland I try to move Love and Shumpert and maybe picks or more role players for George and whomever else (Miles, Allen, Lance, Ellis)
    I am no cap expert (or novice, really), but assuming a Love/George trade works from a cap perspective, that might be to Cleveland's benefit as far as rebuilding, correct? Assume they get a one year rental from George before he and LeBron head to LA to join BI and co. Cleveland would be relegated to a complete rebuild, but at least they would have cap space and Kyrie, no?

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I've never been to Cleveland, but get the sense that it's pretty different than Indy. Both are worlds away from LA. There are probably countless people who have moved from one of those cities to one of the others based on location.
    My point is Indy and Cleveland are about the same distance from L.A. and George has been willing to make the trip for 7 years. IIRC, George has owned a second home, in L.A., most of the time he has played in Indy. I doubt Cleveland (and/or Lebron) would have a problem adding the use of a private jet to the contract discussions.

Apparently it is, what else is drawing him to LA?
    I'm thinking it's more than location. Otherwise, I doubt he would have waited 7 years, if location is his primary concern.

Snow Belt

Average annual snowfall:
    Indy: 25"
    Cleveland: 68"

Having a second home in LA is fine for the offseason, but Cleveland is where Cavs spend the winter.

I'm thinking it's more than location. Otherwise, I doubt he would have waited 7 years, if location is his primary concern.
    LA is a better place to live and he's also from there. That's enough for me. If you want you can add the history of the Lakers and the fact they have some young talent.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I am no cap expert (or novice, really), but assuming a Love/George trade works from a cap perspective, that might be to Cleveland's benefit as far as rebuilding, correct? Assume they get a one year rental from George before he and LeBron head to LA to join BI and co. Cleveland would be relegated to a complete rebuild, but at least they would have cap space and Kyrie, no?
    According to ESPN's trade machine, Love ($21.1 mil) for George ($18.3 mil) is a trade that works.

Moving on to the Lakers, after next season the Lakers will have approx. $39.9 mil in cap space, assuming the renounce the rights to all their free agents (Cory Brewer, Julius Randle, Nick Young, and Tarik Black). That will not be enough space to get Lebron and George. They would have to also get rid of Mozgov ($16 mil), Deng ($18 mil), and/or Jordan Clarkston $12.5 mil) to get where they need to be to sign two superstars.

They could clear another $7 mil by not exercising their option on D'Angelo Russell, though I can't imagine them doing that. I also suspect they will want to keep Randle around as he is developing nicely. They will have to make a $5.5 mil qualifying offer to him and then just go ahead and match whatever someone else offers him.

The priority is finding a way to get rid of Deng and Mozgov's contracts. That's $34 mil of cap space that just isn't doing much for you and both those guys are under contract for 3 more seasons (until 2020).

The Lakers dream is rolling out this lineup:

PG- Ball
    SG- George
    SF- Ingram
    PF - Lebron
    C- Randle
    With Russell, Clarkson, and TBA big man coming off the bench. That team would be huge, but with lots of long, athletic guys who could defend well together. Against the Warriors and other teams that go small, Randle goes to the bench and Russell or Clarkson play, which may be their better lineup anyway as George, Ingram, and Lebron all have the size and quickness to guard anyone -- big or small.

-Jason "All they need to do is get rid of two deadly contracts and then convince two amazing free agents to come to LA... piece of cake, right?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

It is a combination of location and opportunity. He's from LA. But neither LA team had cap space when he signed his first (and so far only) free agent contract (summer of 2014). And at that time, it was his first big contract opportunity, so maximizing dollars over taking a mid-level exception or veteran's minimum made sense. Now, the Lakers will be in a position to be able to sign him as a free agent, and he has star-power leverage to help make it happen.

That's not to say he couldn't end up elsewhere in the long term. But it's a lot more feasible (i.e., actually feasible) for him to go to LA now.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    Average annual snowfall:
    Indy: 25"
    Cleveland: 68"

Having a second home in LA is fine for the offseason, but Cleveland is where Cavs spend the winter.
    Don't they spend half the season on the road?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    It is a combination of location and opportunity. He's from LA. But neither LA team had cap space when he signed his first (and so far only) free agent contract (summer of 2014). And at that time, it was his first big contract opportunity, so maximizing dollars over taking a mid-level exception or veteran's minimum made sense. Now, the Lakers will be in a position to be able to sign him as a free agent, and he has star-power leverage to help make it happen.

That's not to say he couldn't end up elsewhere in the long term. But it's a lot more feasible (i.e., actually feasible) for him to go to LA now.
    '

Also, IIRC, Indy seemed like more of a contender 3 years ago. Then again, time flies, so it's possible that was actually before then.

Which opportunity? IMO, Cleveland is the far better opportunity for George to win a championship the next few seasons. It will probably be at least a few years until L.A. gets past G.S. and goes to another Finals. In 2014, George picked money over location. This time, it would not surprise me if he picked championship opportunity over location. IMO, playing with the best player in the world is George's best chance of winning a championship. L.A. has a much harder path to a championship. If somehow (maybe, by injury) L.A. beats G.S., they will still have to face Lebron.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Don't they spend half the season on the road?

-jk
    Yes and George will shovel the same amount of snow wherever he plays. Snow is a much bigger issue for the rest of us.

Which opportunity? IMO, Cleveland is the far better opportunity for George to win a championship the next few seasons. It will probably be at least a few years until L.A. gets past G.S. and goes to another Finals. In 2014, George picked money over location. This time, it would not surprise me if he picked championship opportunity over location. IMO, playing with the best player in the world is George's best chance of winning a championship. L.A. has a much harder path to a championship. If somehow (maybe, by injury) L.A. beats G.S., they will still have to face Lebron.
    Opportunity, as in opportunity to go play back home. You asked why he might have stayed put "for 7 years." Well, the only time he was a free agent, opportunity to go play at home did not exist (aside from taking a veterans minimum or mid-level exception). In 2018, it will very much be an available option for a max contract.

LA is a better place to live and he's also from there. That's enough for me. If you want you can add the history of the Lakers and the fact they have some young talent.
    Saying LA is a better place to live is an opinion and it's offends me that you are trying to pass it off as a fact. Give me Cleveland over LA any day. Have you been to both cities? Have you spent any time at all in CLE?

Opportunity, as in opportunity to go play back home. You asked why he might have stayed put "for 7 years." Well, the only time he was a free agent, opportunity to go play at home did not exist (aside from taking a veterans minimum or mid-level exception). In 2018, it will very much be an available option for a max contract.
    I agree this is his first chance to go back to L.A. without a financial cost. However, I do not assume his priority rankings are:

1. Money
    2. Location
    3. Championship

I agree this is his first chance to go back to L.A. without a financial cost. However, I do not assume his priority rankings are:

1. Money
    2. Location
    3. Championship
    You can assume whatever you like. Neither you nor I have any idea what will ultimately motivate his decision. I was merely pointing out the argument as to why he might now be ready to go back to LA. It remains to be seen whether or not he does so.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Saying LA is a better place to live is an opinion and it's offends me that you are trying to pass it off as a fact. Give me Cleveland over LA any day. Have you been to both cities? Have you spent any time at all in CLE?
    He's back lol.

P.S. It's also been rumored that Lebron is ready to ditch Cleveland and head to LA.

Is it also wrong for superstars to take less money to make sure their team can continue to be a superteam?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...-sign-warriors
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke