Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 NBA Finals

2017 NBA Finals

The troubles yesterday (a disk full error at the hosting site) corrupted the original 2017 NBA Finals thread. For now, you can read it, but carry on the discussion here.

thanks,

-jk

subzero02:
    Jordan and pippen would handle kyrie and lebron... toss Rodman into the mix as well. I can't believe how much the game has softened... the love foul on Durant would've been considered a love tap back in the mid to late 80s

Moonpie23:
    this is absolutely incorrect...without going into individual metrics, jordan would foul out every single game trying to guard lebron (if they have referees)...
    "Either they're going down, or we are! Kirk out!"
    I'd expect 6'8" Pippen to be the primary defender on LeBron. I am sure Jordan would guard Lebron at times but I doubt his airness would foul out in every single matchup; especially if the game were played using pre-handcheck restriction(freedom of movement) rules from the 90s. Jordan was a savvy defender; he fouled out at a rate of about once every 114 games( 11 disqualifications in 1251 career games). This is pretty remarkable considering his mpg average (38.3 mpg regular season/41.8 mpg post) and the fact that he was named to the NBA's first team defense 9 times( Pippen was named to the NBA's first team defense 8 times). Also, when I said Jordan and Pippen would handle LeBron and Kyrie I meant that in a 5 on 5, or 2 on 2 matchup, the duo from the 90s would outperform the Cavs' duo. I think by most predictions, they'd have strong advantages on the defensive end and on the boards.

So, what are we expecting tonight?

A) Cleveland wins a tight one, sending shivers of fear through the supremely confident Warriors and their fan base
    B) Warriors win a tight one, causing lots of folks to wonder "what if" regarding Cleveland's melt down late in game 3
    C) Warriors win another laugher (like games 1 and 2), lending strong evidence to their "best team ever" argument

Note: There is no option D where the Cavs blow the Warriors out cause that ain't happening in Golden State unless someone poisons the Warriors pre-game meal.

-Jason "I think we are looking at B, I say the Warriors have a fairly steady 5-9 point lead throughout the 4th quarter to win title #2, Durant is Finals MVP" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

A) Cleveland wins a tight one, sending shivers of fear through the supremely confident Warriors and their fan base
    B) Warriors win a tight one, causing lots of folks to wonder "what if" regarding Cleveland's melt down late in game 3
    C) Warriors win another laugher (like games 1 and 2), lending strong evidence to their "best team ever" argument

Note: There is no option D where the Cavs blow the Warriors out cause that ain't happening in Golden State unless someone poisons the Warriors pre-game meal.

-Jason "I think we are looking at B, I say the Warriors have a fairly steady 5-9 point lead throughout the 4th quarter to win title #2, Durant is Finals MVP" Evans
    I'm with you on B Jason. I really believe the Cavs could have won this series had they not blown Game 3.

It took a few games but I think James and Irving have figured out this GSW defense. Give LeBron multiple looks at the same defensive scheme and he"ll eventually pick you apart.

Unfortunately GSW has a 3-1 buffer here and it will take LBJ and Kyrie going for 30+ a piece once again while the Cavs need 1 of Curry and Durant to have a bad game where neither Klay/Dray go bonkers either.

In all likelihood, GSW will close this series out tonight and Kevin Durant will be Finals MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

My honest guess is C. I wouldn't be surprised by A or B either. Were the Cavs just on fire? Or did they figure something out? I'm thinking they won't score over 130 again. Who knows? We shall see.

Zach Lowe's great Game 5 preview column

Key part below. GSW still holds the ace in the hole of just playing their Death Lineup more i.e. removing GSW's true centers from the game since the Cavs have been abusing them. Kerr did a great job of that in Game 2 but he then proceeded to stick with his true centers too much in the games in Cleveland.

Good start by the Cavs to absorb the initial punch by GSW. Zaza helped a lot -- he was awful on both ends.

Playing Richard Jefferson more has helped so much. Crazy that he's 36 years old.

Way too many turnovers by the Warriors. This game doesn't have a good feel for those hoping the dubs win.

Warriors are indeed playing really poorly. I think in Game 3, they played okay, but Cleveland was crazy good. This game, I think the Warriors are just playing poorly.

For those who think KD is the most important player on the Warriors, look at how terrible the KD+Klay offense has been in 2nd quarter. The team still absolutely runs through Curry.

Edit: A lot more life after the commercial break though. Fingers crossed...
    Edit2: Holy crap that dunk by Iguodala!! The dude is like 50 years old.
    Last edited by darthur; 06-12-2017 at 09:57 PM.

Pretty big no call on that dunk...

Quote Originally Posted by Selover View Post
    Pretty big no call on that dunk...
    Huge no call. And should have been a very easy call to make.

This clock
    Stoppage may hurt the Warriors momentum.

Tyron's substitutions and lack of TOs have been highly questionable all Q2. You gotta play your guys. What are you saving Kyrie for?
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by darthur View Post
    Warriors are indeed playing really poorly. I think in Game 3, they played okay, but Cleveland was crazy good. This game, I think the Warriors are just playing poorly.

For those who think KD is the most important player on the Warriors, look at how terrible the KD+Klay offense has been in 2nd quarter. The team still absolutely runs through Curry.

Edit: A lot more life after the commercial break though. Fingers crossed...
    Edit2: Holy crap that dunk by Iguodala!! The dude is like 50 years old.
    KD is the most important player on the Warriors.

He's the second best player in the world.

It's over...
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

West has always been a hothead. Good player, but always bugged me with the Pacers.

Quote Originally Posted by Philadukie View Post

He should also be on the bench with 3 fouls.

I'm seeing some home-cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Philadukie View Post

- Best player is not the same as most important.
    - If you just watch finals games, you'll get an incomplete picture since Cleveland defends Curry better than anyone else, and KD isn't always as good as he is this series.
    - Curry leads KD in all +/- metrics in both the regular season and the playoffs. The 2nd quarter blitz we saw here -- GS thrives on them, and they happen when Curry is on the floor. The offense just looks totally different when Steph is on vs off the floor because of his pace-pushing and because of the focus the defense gives him.

And yeah, KD and the Warriors absolutely got lucky with the missed call. Whether you buy my argument or not about how important Steph is, KD is still obviously incredibly important.