Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Exactly. Why should a player be penalized for a great drive in the middle of the fairway? Never understood it.
    It is part of playing on an outdoor, grass covered track that will always contain imperfections. That is why it is called a rub of the green. In golf, you play the ball from where you hit it (subject to local rules made to accommodate specific situations.)

Exactly. Why should a player be penalized for a great drive in the middle of the fairway? Never understood it.
    This would be #1 on the list for me. There is no logical explanation for not allowing a free drop in this scenario - just deem it ground under repair.

I think the football overtime should be a 7 minute period. Period. Both teams get three TOs.

In basketball, all intentional fouls should be two shots and the ball - even those at the end when the losing team is trying to stop the clock and get the ball back. Refs can determine when there was an intentional foul. And to add to that, give the offensive team the choice of shots or the ball out of bounds in the last three minutes.

I've had this discussion on a golf forum with some rules experts several times over the years, and the main concern they have is that if you allow free relief from a "divot," somebody has to then define precisely what the word means, and exactly what type of fairway irregularity a player is allowed relief from. If you give an inch, they'll take a mile.

What if a divot was repaired a week ago? You can see that it's not exactly the same as the surrounding fairway but offers no real impedance to your shot. Should you get relief?

Unless you believe that a player should be able to move the ball anywhere in a 3-inch radius no closer to the pin from any spot on the fairway, there will be controversies.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Allowing cheating, purported institutions of higher learning to participate in NCAA tournament games.

(I know, not quite on topic and already discussed in multiple threads over the last several years, but still...)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I would outlaw (yes... make it literally illegal... punishable by jail time), all music, fake noise, fake chants, and sound effects during live action at NBA games.

That Cleveland organ is killing me tonight. Fingernails meet chalk board. Hate, hate, hate it.

Because you hit the damn ball from where it lies? It's just one shot, and you'll probably get lucky on another shot you didn't deserve to.

Make the NL adopt the designated hitter for all inter league games. Or, allow the AL team to use the DH in NL parks, with the NL team being able to choose whether or not to use it as they like. I don't want my pitchers running the bases and getting hurt. Happens too damn often.

Yes to outlawing tv viewers to have penalties called on PGA golfers. Especially after rounds are completed.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Make the NL adopt the designated hitter for all inter league games. Or, allow the AL team to use the DH in NL parks, with the NL team being able to choose whether or not to use it as they like. I don't want my pitchers running the bases and getting hurt. Happens too damn often.

Yes to outlawing tv viewers to have penalties called on PGA golfers. Especially after rounds are completed.
    NO, NO, NO!!

Ban the designated hitter at all levels. It is an abomination.

And Stay Off My Lawn!!!

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    NO, NO, NO!!

And Stay Off My Lawn!!!
    Agreed!!!
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    NO, NO, NO!!

And Stay Off My Lawn!!!
    Agreed... Get rid of interleague.. the whole point of American and National was that it was originally two completely separate leagues that came together to decide a champion between the two. Until that point, never the two shall meet.

Get rid of the DH and make pitchers hit.

Also, this whole thing about length of game and needed to add pitch clocks.. ugh... Baseball is great because there's no clock. You play until someone wins. Games are longer for a couple of reasons 1) tv takes an inordinate amount of time between half innings and pitcher changes 2) Tony LaRussa and his implementation of so many relief pitchers 30 years ago started part of it. You have too many stoppages for pitching changes. There was a story recently on SI.com about the vanishing complete game 3) make the batter keep a foot in the d*mn box unless he's been brushed back. There's no need to step out spit on your gloves, get your grip again, adjust everything then step back in if you DIDN'T EVEN SWING THE BAT! Some of my Red Sox are terribly guilty of this. Also, no need for so many conferences between pitcher and catcher. If you don't know what the plan is ahead of time, then you shouldn't be in the bigs.

And then get off my lawn too
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

I'm with Oly

Baseball purist here, I guess. People who say they don't watch baseball because it's boring and slow will not become rabid baseball fans if we put rattlesnakes on the basepaths and double the runs scored on a homerun to the upper deck.

Baseball's unique in two ways. The biggest is that while nominally a team sport, a game is really broken down into hundreds of one-on-one contests. You can't really change that; it's fundamental to the very game. Consequently, at all times the majority of players are either sitting or standing and doing nothing. You can play left field in a 7 inning youth game, not have a single ball come your way in the field and possibly get just two appearances at the plate. But that fundamental aspect of the game's not gonna change unless you completely re-invent the sport. The other is that the end of the game is determined by when the final out's made, not when a clock runs out.

In the modern era, with other options abounding, those have had some negative impacts on both participation in baseball at the youth level, and spectator and fan numbers (not sure which is chicken and which is egg there, or if they're independent). It is a slow game with a lot of standing around, in a time where soccer and lacrosse and hockey, all much more active sports, have made enormous strides in popularity. That may presage long term sustainability issues for baseball, I guess, but limiting substitutions is not going to change that.

All that said, there are some rules modifications I'd be in favor of that are true to the idea that a baseball game boils down to pitcher vs. batter at minimum 52 times. Most of them are around limiting the scourge of time waste from changes and mound visits, with the added bonus of lessening the influence of managers and increasing the influence of players. You don't need inorganic things like restricting the number of pitching changes allowed in a game, or pitchers on a roster. Just make the pitching change less of an Earth stopping event.

So, I'm OK with most of the pace of play rules changes of recent seasons. The pitchless IBB, for instance. But (a) they need to be better enforced, and (b) they could go even further. For instance, I'd do away entirely with conferences on the mound. Let a pitcher and his catcher work out of trouble, or not. I'm fine with a warning for pitchers delaying, followed by a called ball. As infuriating as it was to see Nomar Garciaparra re-velcro his gloves after every pitch, it's just as annoying to watch a pitcher step off, walk around, grab the rosin bag and scuff around the rubber for 30 seconds after every pitch. Stand there, get a sign, and throw the ball.

Also, no more than 2 warmup pitches for relievers. They're already warmed up, or should be. Alternatively, take the 2.5 minute (I think) time guideline and make it 1 minute or it's an intentional walk.

The batter remaining in the batter's box concept? Great, but there are too many exceptions. You don't need to step entirely out of the box just because you swung and missed. If it's not a brushback or a foul off your feet, leave your back foot in there. You've got time to get a sign from your 3rd base coach while the pitcher's getting reset.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Because you hit the damn ball from where it lies? It's just one shot, and you'll probably get lucky on another shot you didn't deserve to.
    For your weekend golf game with your buds, that may be fine. In pro tournaments, though, you've got a bunch of guys bombing their drives into more or less the same area of fairway again and again and again. So by the third or fourth day of a tournament, that 30-yard strip of fairway where everybody's landing their drives and taking their second shots starts to look like the surface of the moon. So the odds of hitting a great drive right where you're supposed to hit it and nonetheless winding up in a miniature sand trap go up considerably. And I'd think the last thing the PGA or the tournament organizers want is to have an event marred because a tournament contender's fortunes were derailed on the final day's back nine by something that had nothing to do with his skill or execution, but just sheer dumb luck.

"I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    For instance, I'd do away entirely with conferences on the mound.
    But then we'd never have moments of pure cinematic genius like this.

And remember, candlesticks always make a nice gift.

"I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    If you go to extra time in soccer, a fourth substitution for each team.
    Also re: extra time in soccer, two words:

Golden Goal.

Another baseball purist in favor of banning DH and no inter-league play.

Football on the other hand:
    - No two minute warning -- WTF is that anyway?
    - No quarters: two halves.
    - Clock stops after EVERY play: runs from snap to whistle. Game consists of two five-minute halves (average NFL game has 11 minutes of "action").
    - No mics on umps. No more silly hand signals for penalties (inappropriate touching?). Official scorer relays info to announcers.
    - No accepting or declining penalties. If there's a penalty it's enforced and play continues.
    - No chains for yardage measurements. Use the computer generated yellow lines or other tech.
    - No headsets in helmets and no comms (audio/video/photos) from booth above: play the game!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    Another baseball purist in favor of banning DH and no inter-league play.

Football on the other hand:
    - No two minute warning -- WTF is that anyway?
    - No quarters: two halves.
    - Clock stops after EVERY play: runs from snap to whistle. Game consists of two five-minute halves (average NFL game has 11 minutes of "action").
    - No mics on umps. No more silly hand signals for penalties (inappropriate touching?). Official scorer relays info to announcers.
    - No accepting or declining penalties. If there's a penalty it's enforced and play continues.
    - No chains for yardage measurements. Use the computer generated yellow lines or other tech.
    - No headsets in helmets and no comms (audio/video/photos) from booth above: play the game!
    I like a lot of this - I've always though it was a bit silly that the outcome of so many games hinges on the ability of a team of often elderly gentlemen (Hochuli hits social security age this year) to place the ball in the right spot in a timely manner. The act of rushing up to the line to spike the ball in time is exciting, but ultimately think the running clock detracts more than it adds to the games. Wish I had put this on my list, it's a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Also re: extra time in soccer, two words:

Golden Goal.
    Golden goal didn't work. Teams became way too conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Golden goal didn't work. Teams became way too conservative.
    Golden goal... combined with ties being treated as losses.

This has never, ever been an issue for me ...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    This has never, ever been an issue for me ...
    I think I see what you did there....