Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    Bradley is one of the most frustrating players the US has.
    This. But give credit where due, a good match yesterday.

We were lucky to steal a point, and hope we build from here.

Huge point for the USA in the Azteca. We are currently 2 up on Panama, who hosts Honduras this week. That will likely be a win for Panama. But we now have the easiest road left aside from Mexico. We host both Costa Rica and Panama, and travel to Honduras and Trinidad and Tobago. Not a cakewalk to the World Cup, but we are in pretty good shape at the moment.

What was particularly interesting to me is that they played with seven different starters vs the game against Trinidad...the defense looked considerably more organized.

- Absolutely amazing that the US wound up with two yellow cards, and El Tri got none. Especially when Carlos Salcedo should have been sent off after two back-to-back elbows. He even had a couple of questionable fouls later in the game, but nada...

- The Mexican keeper and defense didn't look particularly sharp in this one.

- Mexico created a number of opportunities, but their finishing was poor, and Cameron was fantastic. They wound up scoring on their only shot on target; we had two shots on goal.

- The game could have gone a number of directions, including to Mexico if that shot had been an inch lower, but also to the US if Wood could have finished a shot most college players can hit.

- Speaking of Wood, not his or CP's finest game, but the gameplan wasn't set up for those guys, so they get a bit of a pass...

Quote Originally Posted by Reisen View Post
    - The game could have gone a number of directions, including to Mexico if that shot had been an inch lower, but also to the US if Wood could have finished a shot most college players can hit.
    Bradley also had a post late, though his was on the outside of the post, not the inside like the Mexican free kick.

We still need to take care of business, but our road to the Cup just got a LOT easier.

--Jason "Up next, Gold Cup..." Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Reisen View Post
    - Absolutely amazing that the US wound up with two yellow cards, and El Tri got none. Especially when Carlos Salcedo should have been sent off after two back-to-back elbows. He even had a couple of questionable fouls later in the game, but nada...
    Hey Reisen. Looking to re-watch Bradley's on youtube, I came a cross a list of top 5 US goals. This was on there and should make your blood boil again

The draw with Mexico combined with Panama getting only a draw at home against Honduras puts the US in better qualifying position. Up a point, up on goals and goal diff, and no longer having to face Mexico is a good spot.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The draw with Mexico combined with Panama getting only a draw at home against Honduras puts the US in better qualifying position. Up a point, up on goals and goal diff, and no longer having to face Mexico is a good spot.
    Yep. Still want to defeat Panama at home to clinch things, but I'd certainly rather be in our position than in theirs. Having to play away really needing a win to qualify is much tougher than playing home turf knowing a win would clinch things while a tie would probably still get the job done.

Is there a rule that all games between the US and Ghana end 2-1?

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Is there a rule that all games between the US and Ghana end 2-1?
    Dwyer looked great in the game. Never seen the US play when we were the aggressor for the majority of the match. If he continues, I could see him being a nice piece up front for the WC.

Still amazed the Ghana keeper wasn't sent off for that slide tackle. That was brutal.

Second game with a red not called against the US opponent. Should we start twerping?
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Dwyer looked great in the game. Never seen the US play when we were the aggressor for the majority of the match. If he continues, I could see him being a nice piece up front for the WC.

Still amazed the Ghana keeper wasn't sent off for that slide tackle. That was brutal.

Second game with a red not called against the US opponent. Should we start twerping?
    Was at the game and I agree with all of this. Only solace on the non-red-card is that 11v11 is a better exercise for the USA as we head into the Gold Cup.

I hadn't seen many of these US players play and I was impressed. I'm looking forward to seeing more in the Gold Cup from Dwyer, Rowe, Saief, McCarty, and Hedges. As a Blues fan I hope Miazga gets some game-time too...

And there was a great showing by the American Outlaws at the stadium...lots of fun to be there live!
    Good people drink good beer. -Hunter S. Thompson

Man, what an exciting game last night. Fun to watch, but not what the US side was hoping for.

Anyone watch El Salvador during the group stage at all? Arena is talking them up, but I don't know if that is coach speak. Will be interested to see the starting lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Anyone watch El Salvador during the group stage at all? Arena is talking them up, but I don't know if that is coach speak.
    First of all, have you ever seen a professional coach say, "We are going to dust them. They suck and have no chance against us. I'm not even remotely concerned about this match." Of course Arena is talking them up.

That said, their results in the Gold Cup thus far are less than impressive. They lost to Mexico 3-1, beat Curacao 2-0, and then tied with Jamaica 1-1. El Sal has never beaten the US on our soil and we are 16-1-5 against them all time. In the history of the Gold Cup, the US has outscored El Sal 17-1.

Their FIFA ranking is 103. The US is 35. That said Curacao was #68, and El Sal beat them 2-0. Still, one would expect this to be a fairly easy quarter final for the USMNT.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    First of all, have you ever seen a professional coach say, "We are going to dust them. They suck and have no chance against us. I'm not even remotely concerned about this match." Of course Arena is talking them up.

That said, their results in the Gold Cup thus far are less than impressive. They lost to Mexico 3-1, beat Curacao 2-0, and then tied with Jamaica 1-1. El Sal has never beaten the US on our soil and we are 16-1-5 against them all time. In the history of the Gold Cup, the US has outscored El Sal 17-1.

Their FIFA ranking is 103. The US is 35. That said Curacao was #68, and El Sal beat them 2-0. Still, one would expect this to be a fairly easy quarter final for the USMNT.
    Martinique says hello...
    Good people drink good beer. -Hunter S. Thompson

Omar Gonzalez flicks one on and the US are lucky to be up 1-0 after 41 minutes.

Beautiful second goal to finish the half.

not s rhing of beauty, but through to the finals!

Big game tonight...anyone watching? Surprised to see the exact same lineup for this game (although not surprised that Dempsey will come off the bench again). I have been really impressed with Nagbe...if he were a better (or maybe just more aggressive) finisher he would be incredible, great ball control.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Big game tonight...anyone watching? Surprised to see the exact same lineup for this game (although not surprised that Dempsey will come off the bench again). I have been really impressed with Nagbe...if he were a better (or maybe just more aggressive) finisher he would be incredible, great ball control.
    Looking forward to the match. Flipping between Barcelona/Man U and Paris St.G/juventus. Love the expansion of televised soccer here in the States.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I'll watch it later when I get home from work. Had a buddy that claimed he could get me tickets, but he did not deliver. Fortunately my office moved so I don't get caught up in the gameday traffic anymore.