Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I've tried to ween myself off, but I love it too much. I admittedly don't watch with the same passion and fire as I used to. I just feel like so many players are just going through the motions and don't care about the name on the front of their jersey because they were basically forced to be there.
    While I agree with the sentiment of your post, the idea that "so many players" are in this position is disingenuous. The vast majority of NCAA basketball players are not in the situation of being forced to play one season rather than play in the NBA at 18 years old.

i don't make many predictions, however, i've been predicting that they were going to skate from the beginning....i don't feel any differently now...

it's gonna be sad, but, i'll still have my deep-seated hatred for them...

ain't life "daily"?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i don't make many predictions, however, i've been predicting that they were going to skate from the beginning...i don't feel any differently now...
    I don't fault you & I have had similar thoughts, though maybe that is my protection mechanism. I don't think they get the death penalty..No matter how richly deserved..

These other schools that have gotten hit for less egregious infractions. I just don't see how they sit still while the NCAA allows the Cheats to skate. I think there would be such an uproar & also the NCAA might as well dissolve. If you can get away with what this cheating sorry so called university has done than where do you draw line on cheating?

I think they are going to get punished..At the least some future penalties...& possibly the 2005 banner comes down. I don't see how you can leave it up when we know for certain one player was indeed ineligible.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    I don't fault you & I have had similar thoughts, though maybe that is my protection mechanism. I don't think they get the death penalty..No matter how richly deserved..

These other schools that have gotten hit for less egregious infractions. I just don't see how they sit still while the NCAA allows the Cheats to skate. I think there would be such an uproar & also the NCAA might as well dissolve. If you can get away with what this cheating sorry so called university has done than where do you draw line on cheating?

I think they are going to get punished..At the least some future penalties...& possibly the 2005 banner comes down. I don't see how you can leave it up when we know for certain one player was indeed ineligible.
    With two of those schools with far less egregious infractions in the ACC, I'd like to think one of em would file a petition to boot the cheaters. If nothing else, beg Swofford to find a place for the cheats in SEC hell where they belong, and then boot Swofford to retirement.

When they skate and then crow over winning the battle, I don't want Duke to ever play them again.

I agree that it is unlikely they get what they deserve and have the athletic institution burned to the ground and start over with a new university run by people with integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I agree that it is unlikely they get what they deserve and have the athletic institution burned to the ground and start over with a new university run by people with integrity.
    You are waaaaayyyyyyyyy too lenient.

To the pessimists I ask why the COI panel, if they were inclined to let UNC skate, caused the enforcement staff to reinstate the original allegation one (that the paper classes constituted extra benefits) and issue NOA-3, when they could have just let them skate under NOA-2?

Let’s review some of what the COI panel said in their letter of November 28, 2016:

At the procedural hearing, the panel probed the underlying reasons for amending the original NOA. The panel is concerned about the parties' expressed rationale for removing former Allegation No. 1. …In reviewing the ANOA, the panel believes there is a basis for alleging violations of NCAA legislation.

The panel's position is further supported by the parties' presentations and the limited procedural record in this case. Upon discovering irregularities within its AFRl/AFRAM courses, the institution developed an institutional process to understand the conduct related to the courses and to reach conclusions about what occurred. That process consisted of numerous internal and external reviews. Those reviews suggested that five categories of courses existed that did not comply with institutional requirements. They also culminated with the institution asserting in its January 12, 2015, response to its accrediting body that academic misconduct occurred…

Further, the parties' representations and other procedural hearing record materials may indicate that the behaviors surrounding these classes could be of the same qualitative nature as sample behaviors identified in the April 16, 2014, education column (e.g., doctoring transcripts or arranging to receive credit for a course a student-athlete did not enroll in or complete). The panel recognizes that those behaviors are only sample behaviors and not an exhaustive list. Some of the conduct at issue could also implicate impermissible academic assistance. The ultimate conclusion whether any type of NCAA academic rules violations occurred is an issue to be resolved at a hearlng on the merits. The panel intends to explore those issues whether under the current or another amended notice. See NCAA Bylaw 19.7.7.4 [stating that the COI panel can find the institution guilty of infractions based on the facts presented even if those infractions were not in the notice of allegations].

This case is unique in its scope, the iterations of the allegations, the procedural arguments that brought the case to this stage and in that the allegations may not be framed in a manner consistent with the information presently before the panel. Based on these factors and pursuant to NCAA Bylaw 19.7.8.1, the panel requests that the enforcement staff review whether the potential violations in this case are alleged in a fashion to best decide this case.
    Is this what would one would expect from a COI panel that is inclined to let UNC skate?

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    No sowing of the soil with salt?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Unfortunately, Chapel Hill has been designated by the EPA as part of the Waters of the United States, so there are going to be some hindrances to the traditional salting regimen.

Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    Unfortunately, Chapel Hill has been designated by the EPA as part of the Waters of the United States, so there are going to be some hindrances to the traditional salting regimen.
    Brackish waters have their own ecosystem. It will be fine.

Plus, with all the sulphur around there, salt is the least of their problems!

That is what Indoor66 desires. Can't say I disagree.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    You are waaaaayyyyyyyyy too lenient.
    Anything less than the death penalty is not severe enough...and the problem with the death penalty is it puts them out of their misery.

I'm thinking, no athletic scholarships for...18 years? No home games for 18 years. Turn them into the college version of the Washington Generals. They never get to win!

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Anything less than the death penalty is not severe enough...and the problem with the death penalty is it puts them out of their misery.

I'm thinking, no athletic scholarships for...18 years? No home games for 18 years. Turn them into the college version of the Washington Generals. They never get to win!
    They'd still get all the calls.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post

To the pain?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    That is what Indoor66 desires. Can't say I disagree.
    Bravo! My Band Wagon is large and mostly filled but there is still room for more to climb on. Price of admission is a bag of salt.

Bravo! My Band Wagon is large and mostly filled but there is still room for more to climb on. Price of admission is a bag of salt.
    That ain't kosher.

That ain't kosher.
    Although their is religious ferver rampant on the Wagon, the whole of the trip is secular, though righteous. Vengeance is Mine but sowing the salt is yours.

Although their is religious ferver rampant on the Wagon, the whole of the trip is secular, though righteous. Vengeance is Mine but sowing the salt is yours.
    Agreed. I was merely suggesting that one should not being a bag of kosher salt. Too expensive. Common table salt works, although the large rock salt used for ice cream makers and melting ice up north likely works best.

Time for the full Carthage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    While I agree with the sentiment of your post, the idea that "so many players" are in this position is disingenuous. The vast majority of NCAA basketball players are not in the situation of being forced to play one season rather than play in the NBA at 18 years old.
    That's a fair point. However, I would add that even the ones that aren't in that position wish that they were. It's the "cool" thing to do these days. Most that are not in that position are working hard to be considered for the draft after one season.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    That's a fair point. However, I would add that even the ones that aren't in that position wish that they were. It's the "cool" thing to do these days. Most that are not in that position are working hard to be considered for the draft after one season.
    Also a fair point, evidenced by the sheer number of kids that declare early and miss the draft entirely.