Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 134
  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I think it's common practice when someone needs both knees replaced that they only do one, then wait a couple years before doing the second. That way you can handle the recovery for each one.
    I know several people who started off with this plan, had one knee done, and after discovering how horrible that experience was, decided never to get the second done.

    I've had surgery a couple of times, in my late teens and mid-20s, and nothing as difficult as a knee replacement. Coach K's dedication to his coaching is impressive. Most people would not have the drive and fortitude to commit to this again while keeping up with his professional responsibilities.

    I hope the surgery goes well. There is no guaranty we will see Coach K on the sideline this year (or any year after) . . .

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I know several people who started off with this plan, had one knee done, and after discovering how horrible that experience was, decided never to get the second done.

    I've had surgery a couple of times, in my late teens and mid-20s, and nothing as difficult as a knee replacement. Coach K's dedication to his coaching is impressive. Most people would not have the drive and fortitude to commit to this again while keeping up with his professional responsibilities.

    I hope the surgery goes well. There is no guaranty we will see Coach K on the sideline this year (or any year after) . . .
    In recent years I have heard fewer and fewer complaints about knee-replacement surgery. It may be that the techniques have gotten much better.

    Kindly,
    Sage
    'In ski country we have a lot of joint surgeries'
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    1. I don't believe for a minute that the Duke Basketball Program cancels an overseas trip that would benefit the university and the players just because the Head Coach has a knee issue. You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to recognize a cow patty in the field.

    2. I now feel as though I have been lied to by that Head Coach.
    Henderson
    All of them

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    1. I don't believe for a minute that the Duke Basketball Program cancels an overseas trip that would benefit the university and the players just because the Head Coach has a knee issue. You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to recognize a cow patty in the field.

    2. I now feel as though I have been lied to by that Head Coach.
    What's your theory?

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    Also I'm not an orthopod, but I assume a total knee replacement would be done under general? At Coach K's age that does add another level of complexity to recovery.
    Nope - often done with spinal or epidural anesthesia, especially in someone "advanced in age".

    In someone not "advanced in age", often done these days as outpatient surgery.

    K won't be able to joke any more, as he's done the last few years, that he's been waiting to get his knee replaced because it makes the shape of the letter "K" when combined with the one that already had been replaced

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    1. I don't believe for a minute that the Duke Basketball Program cancels an overseas trip that would benefit the university and the players just because the Head Coach has a knee issue. You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to recognize a cow patty in the field.

    2. I now feel as though I have been lied to by that Head Coach.
    Well, but isn't the key "that would benefit the university and the players"? Posters earlier in this thread have speculated that, given the inexperience of this team, sending them on a trip to play their first games under the direction of an assistant coach (or even an assistant head coach) might be more confusing than helpful. It seems at least plausible that Coach K and the staff concluded that, without K, the trip would not benefit the players. Granted, that conclusion is arguable, but I don't think it's so obviously not the case that we should be sure there is another undisclosed reason here.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    1. I don't believe for a minute that the Duke Basketball Program cancels an overseas trip that would benefit the university and the players just because the Head Coach has a knee issue. You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to recognize a cow patty in the field.

    2. I now feel as though I have been lied to by that Head Coach.
    So you think it's more of a shoulder injury?

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    DC and DE Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    1. I don't believe for a minute that the Duke Basketball Program cancels an overseas trip that would benefit the university and the players just because the Head Coach has a knee issue. You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to recognize a cow patty in the field..

    Like Henderson, I remain skeptical that the knee alone accounts for the cancellation. Several posters have proposed-- without evidentiary backing -- various high-sounding theories for why the trip without K would harm players' psyche/team chemistry, etc. To me (perhaps I lived in DC too long) these attempts ring hollow. Too often, when someone says, "I'm doing it for the principle" the "principle" becomes "principal" and an amount of money. Let's face it, money, or the lack of money, is a driver of college athletics. Thus, I continue to believe that something about the financial arrangements for the DR is a far more logical reason for the cancellation than the knee (and K's absence) alone.

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Well, but isn't the key "that would benefit the university and the players"? Posters earlier in this thread have speculated that, given the inexperience of this team, sending them on a trip to play their first games under the direction of an assistant coach (or even an assistant head coach) might be more confusing than helpful. It seems at least plausible that Coach K and the staff concluded that, without K, the trip would not benefit the players. Granted, that conclusion is arguable, but I don't think it's so obviously not the case that we should be sure there is another undisclosed reason here.
    If ONE of the main objectives of this trip was to help unify the TEAM, perhaps the PLAYERS didn't want to go without their COACH. As great as all our assistants are... they are NOT the "Coach." It's possible the players had some input in this decision.

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by OZ View Post
    If ONE of the main objectives of this trip was to help unify the TEAM, perhaps the PLAYERS didn't want to go without their COACH. As great as all our assistants are... they are NOT the "Coach." It's possible the players had some input in this decision.
    Excellent point. Thanks for some reasonable sanity that doesn't include conspiracy theories and misleading the fan base.

  11. #111
    Maybe Coach K just wanted us to stop obsessing about Bagley and start obsessing about something else. Seriously get well coach.

  12. #112
    There's also a marketing/image/recruiting aspect here. With all of Coach K's recent surgeries and him missing games in both the '16 (one game) and '17 seasons, he and Duke probably weren't all that enthused with him being unavailable again while the Duke DR trip receives coverage, in whatever fashion it was going to be covered (likely TV/ESPN, imo). They probably want the next image of Duke to be Countdown to Craziness with Coach K available and on the bench. Recruiting is the lifeblood of any college program. Yes, it's true our coach is old and perhaps frail, but we don't necessarily want to broadcast that if it can be helped.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Inman, SC & Fort Myers, FL
    Color me na´ve, but I tend to believe people (unless they have demonstrated that I should not). I see nothing wrong or suspicious about the statement as issued. Of course, without conspiracy theories, these threads would be much shorter in the summer!
    This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
    No trees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.

  14. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Color me na´ve, but I tend to believe people (unless they have demonstrated that I should not). I see nothing wrong or suspicious about the statement as issued. Of course, without conspiracy theories, these threads would be much shorter in the summer!
    What a killjoy you are. But you may be on to something - I mean about someone actually telling the truth and all...😎

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    or maybe someone took a look at the weather forecast...DR in August can be nasty, just saw some 78 degree dew points for this weekend, which is just plain nasty.
    It makes Derm feel like Reykjavik...

  16. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    There's also a marketing/image/recruiting aspect here. With all of Coach K's recent surgeries and him missing games in both the '16 (one game) and '17 seasons, he and Duke probably weren't all that enthused with him being unavailable again while the Duke DR trip receives coverage, in whatever fashion it was going to be covered (likely TV/ESPN, imo). They probably want the next image of Duke to be Countdown to Craziness with Coach K available and on the bench. Recruiting is the lifeblood of any college program. Yes, it's true our coach is old and perhaps frail, but we don't necessarily want to broadcast that if it can be helped.
    There was probably an element of that. The extra practices might not have been thought productive enough without Coach K to use the four year opportunity. Maybe K was also uncomfortable having the team travel overseas without him. Not sure if the economics of the trip were a factor. Hopefully there was nothing else like security threats that entered into the decision.

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    or maybe someone took a look at the weather forecast...DR in August can be nasty, just saw some 78 degree dew points for this weekend, which is just plain nasty.
    It makes Derm feel like Reykjavik...
    Have you checked the dew points for Topsail any the last few weeks?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    or maybe someone took a look at the weather forecast...DR in August can be nasty, just saw some 78 degree dew points for this weekend, which is just plain nasty.
    It makes Derm feel like Reykjavik...
    But there are no ocean breezes in Derm

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    But there are no ocean breezes in Derm
    You must have missed Hurricane Matthew last fall...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  20. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    or maybe someone took a look at the weather forecast...DR in August can be nasty, just saw some 78 degree dew points for this weekend, which is just plain nasty.
    It makes Derm feel like Reykjavik...

    I think it was fear of Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus.

Similar Threads

  1. What will be cancelled first? (TV thread)
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 11-30-2012, 09:27 PM
  2. Winter x games cancelled !!
    By moonpie23 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-31-2010, 02:57 PM
  3. Shammond Williams playing for Georgia? The Republic?
    By thebur in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-19-2007, 03:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •