Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Attachment 7539

Jordan joins the 500 club (supposedly all 3 point attempts).

Not bad, Tucker.
    Asking because I have no idea. How long does it take to put up over 700 shots?

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Melo, about two games. 😎

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    You can do it somewhat comfortably in under an hour. Would just need to take about 12 attempts per minute.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    You can do it somewhat comfortably in under an hour. Would just need to take about 12 attempts per minute.
    With a rebounder or a special hoop that funnels makes in a certain direction, probably even less than 1 hour. If you're hitting over 70% of the time, it's much faster since you lose the most time chasing misses.

With a rebounder or a special hoop that funnels makes in a certain direction, probably even less than 1 hour. If you're hitting over 70% of the time, it's much faster since you lose the most time chasing misses.
    If you can still jump or use your arms, that is.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Attachment 7539

Jordan joins the 500 club (supposedly all 3 point attempts).

Not bad, Tucker.
    In a team that needs shooting, Tucker could earn a start at 3 if he shows he can defend. Imagine Tucker spreading the floor outside with Duval getting into the lane at will. It's nice for Trevon to have that high percentage shooter to kick out to as an option. Or if you're open for a good shot, Grayson has shown he will find you. Tucker will need to continue to develop physically. Seems like a great kid who is putting in the work. I'd love nothing more than Tucker being the best recruiting steal that happened last year after missing Knox. By waiting all year on Knox, Tucker earned the shot he dreamed of to contribute for Duke. I still expect Trent to start at 3, but Tucker could be huge for this team. I'm rooting for him.

I'm expecting a primary rotation of Duval, Grayson, Trent, Carter, Bagley (optimism!), Bolden, and Tucker. I expect spot situational minutes from Javin, Jack, Vrank, and Alex. I expect garbage time minutes from Robinson, Goldwire, and the walk-ons.

That said - looking at our roster before last year I would not have expected the explosion we saw from Kennard. I'm rooting for any player on our team who improves so much they earn a solid spot in the main rotation. If Javin, Jack, or Vrank makes a jump like that - awesome! Competition for minutes only makes us better. Even Bolden better know he has to work very hard to not only earn his spot in the rotation, but to realize his dream of earning a first round draft pick. I know he battled injuries, but last year he often got in foul trouble quickly upon entering the game. He has the physical tools, but he will need to learn to play patient and smart.

I'm already excited - it could be a fun year!
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 07-23-2017 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    It's nice for Trevon to have that high percentage shooter to kick out to as an option.
    The only stats I could find for Jordan Tucker were as a high school junior, but FWIW, his three-point shooting percentage as a high school junior was 35% (on 5.6 three-attempts per game, which admittedly is a lot).

I haven't seen the stats, but I've seen references to Gary Trent being a 34% three-point shooter in high school. Javin DeLaurier shot 46% from three as a junior (1.8 three-attempts per game) and 43% from three as a senior (1.4 three-attempts per game).

Put another way, shooting in the gym with no defenders is very different from shooting in a game. We don't know how good a shooter Jordan T will be as a freshman against college competition.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    In a team that needs shooting, Tucker could earn a start at 3 if he shows he can defend. Imagine Tucker spreading the floor outside with Duval getting into the lane at will. It's nice for Trevon to have that high percentage shooter to kick out to as an option. Or if you're open for a good shot, Grayson has shown he will find you. Tucker will need to continue to develop physically. Seems like a great kid who is putting in the work. I'd love nothing more than Tucker being the best recruiting steal that happened last year after missing Knox. By waiting all year on Knox, Tucker earned the shot he dreamed of to contribute for Duke. I still expect Trent to start at 3, but Tucker could be huge for this team. I'm rooting for him.

I'm expecting a primary rotation of Duval, Grayson, Trent, Carter, Bagley (optimism!), Bolden, and Tucker. I expect spot situational minutes from Javin, Jack, Vrank, and Alex. I expect garbage time minutes from Robinson, Goldwire, and the walk-ons.

That said - looking at our roster before last year I would not have expected the explosion we saw from Kennard. I'm rooting for any player on our team who improves so much they earn a solid spot in the main rotation. If Javin, Jack, or Vrank makes a jump like that - awesome! Competition for minutes only makes us better. Even Bolden better know he has to work very hard to not only earn his spot in the rotation, but to realize his dream of earning a first round draft pick. I know he battled injuries, but last year he often got in foul trouble quickly upon entering the game. He has the physical tools, but he will need to learn to play patient and smart.

I'm already excited - it could be a fun year!
    There are only 3 guards/wings that will get significant minutes. Someone is going to have to sub in for Allen, Duval, and Trent for a few minutes here and there. Allen and Duval, and hopefully Trent, will attract a significant amount of defensive attention on the perimeter. If someone else can come in and play decent defense and make a few open shots, there will be minutes to be had. I'm rooting for Tucker (and White, DeLaurier, O'Connell, etc.) to fill that role.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    There are only 3 guards/wings that will get significant minutes. Someone is going to have to sub in for Allen, Duval, and Trent for a few minutes here and there. Allen and Duval, and hopefully Trent, will attract a significant amount of defensive attention on the perimeter. If someone else can come in and play decent defense and make a few open shots, there will be minutes to be had. I'm rooting for Tucker (and White, DeLaurier, O'Connell, etc.) to fill that role.
    I don't know how you define significant minutes but I can't imagine Allen, Duval and Trent combining for much more than 100 mpg, maybe less if either or both of the freshmen have consistent foul issues.

That would seem to leave a significant amount of PT for some combination of Tucker, White and O'Connell, or even DeLaurier, if he can develop some perimeter skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    If you can still jump or use your arms, that is.
    Yeah, the hour is more of a reflection that it is physically tiring to shoot 700 shots in a short time.

Ignoring fatigue, it could be done in half an hour (3pt shootouts shoot 25 balls per minute). But lactic acid buildup would cause problems at that pace as time goes on.

Hence the more leisurely estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Melo, about two games. 😎
    Can't spork you but this was hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Put another way, shooting in the gym with no defenders is very different from shooting in a game. We don't know how good a shooter Jordan T will be as a freshman against college competition.
    Remember those pictures of Bolden draining 3s in his summer workouts a couple weeks ago? Kedsy is dead on target with his statement.

Little anecdote -- my son really worked on his game last summer in preparation for his senior year of high school. He's a shooting guard and he was dead set on becoming a major threat from long-range. He would go to the gym at school and consistently hit well over 50% of his threes in practice. When it came to game time, he was lucky to hit 1/3rd of them. I think taking your 3pt percentage in practice and cutting it about 40-50% is about an accurate measure for what will happen in a game.

So, that would make Tucker about a 35-40% 3 point shooter this coming season... seems realistic and not bad at all.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Remember those pictures of Bolden draining 3s in his summer workouts a couple weeks ago? Kedsy is dead on target with his statement.

Little anecdote -- my son really worked on his game last summer in preparation for his senior year of high school. He's a shooting guard and he was dead set on becoming a major threat from long-range. He would go to the gym at school and consistently hit well over 50% of his threes in practice. When it came to game time, he was lucky to hit 1/3rd of them. I think taking your 3pt percentage in practice and cutting it about 40-50% is about an accurate measure for what will happen in a game.

So, that would make Tucker about a 35-40% 3 point shooter this coming season... seems realistic and not bad at all.
    When you are just shooting threes- you get into a rhythm. The "muscle memory" is critical. Now Duke could change this by having Nate James dogging on D. Then I would be more impressed. Didn't Steph Curry hit 94 out of 100 a while back- 77 in a row. That should be the goal

There is room for AOC, White, or Tucker to step in and get some pretty solid minutes on the wing. That is, there are minutes available if K chooses to utilize someone in those minutes or, if he wants to, he could (will?) run G, Duval, and Trent for 38 minutes a game.

I think Tucker will be the one to log most of the guard minutes off the bench. But guys, Jordan Tucker is not a good defender. I see so many posts saying how he could be a lock down defender, and I'm kind of astounded. I mean I guess he COULD be, but he's much closer to Luke Kennard than to Nate James defensively. Doesn't mean he can't get there, look at Quinn, but very rarely to freshmen earn minutes as defensive stoppers (Matt and Thornton are the two recent examples I can think of there). But just because he looks the way he does doesn't mean he's an incredible athlete who just has to commit defensively. He's really going to have to learn the skills to be good at defense, he's not going to out athlete a really good player to be a stopper. If you watch his highlight films (which are supposed to be the most flattering things in the world) you'll see he is largely a below the rim player who doesn't have some elite first step and speed. Usually, really good athletes who are 6'7, can shoot the ball and have a pretty tight handle, are ranked higher than 61.

I'm just trying to lower some expectations that I've seen being misplaced in what Jordan is good at and what the staff thinks he's likely to do. He's a taller Andre Dawkins, who will hopefully play more minutes than Dre did as a freshman and who SHOULD be very useful as a shooter off the drive and dishes from Duval and Allen, and hopefully off of double teams of Carter (and dare I say, Bagley!?). I think Jordan is going to be a good player for us for a long time, and I hope he gets his chances this year. But his chances are going to come because of his good shooting and hopefully competent defense, rather than as a lockdown wing defender.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

I don't think I have seen anyone say Tucker might be a lockdown defender. I have seen it said about Trent and Duval, but not Tucker.

He's a taller Andre Dawkins, who will hopefully play more minutes than Dre did as a freshman...
    I'll be shocked if Jordan T plays more minutes this season than Andre Dawkins did as a freshman (477).

There is room for AOC, White, or Tucker to step in and get some pretty solid minutes on the wing. That is, there are minutes available if K chooses to utilize someone in those minutes or, if he wants to, he could (will?) run G, Duval, and Trent for 38 minutes a game.

I think Tucker will be the one to log most of the guard minutes off the bench. But guys, Jordan Tucker is not a good defender. I see so many posts saying how he could be a lock down defender, and I'm kind of astounded. I mean I guess he COULD be, but he's much closer to Luke Kennard than to Nate James defensively. Doesn't mean he can't get there, look at Quinn, but very rarely to freshmen earn minutes as defensive stoppers (Matt and Thornton are the two recent examples I can think of there). But just because he looks the way he does doesn't mean he's an incredible athlete who just has to commit defensively. He's really going to have to learn the skills to be good at defense, he's not going to out athlete a really good player to be a stopper. If you watch his highlight films (which are supposed to be the most flattering things in the world) you'll see he is largely a below the rim player who doesn't have some elite first step and speed. Usually, really good athletes who are 6'7, can shoot the ball and have a pretty tight handle, are ranked higher than 61.

I'm just trying to lower some expectations that I've seen being misplaced in what Jordan is good at and what the staff thinks he's likely to do. He's a taller Andre Dawkins, who will hopefully play more minutes than Dre did as a freshman and who SHOULD be very useful as a shooter off the drive and dishes from Duval and Allen, and hopefully off of double teams of Carter (and dare I say, Bagley!?). I think Jordan is going to be a good player for us for a long time, and I hope he gets his chances this year. But his chances are going to come because of his good shooting and hopefully competent defense, rather than as a lockdown wing defender.
    Agree with your post. I worry that Jordan Tucker was not able to make even the Atlanta Journal-Constitutions's All-Metro Honorable Mention Team for Cobb County as a senior(, but his first year on the Wheeler HS team that had at least 4 D1 players).

http://www.ajc.com/sports/high-schoo...s2VxKyYVSr9QN/
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

I'll be shocked if Jordan T plays more minutes this season than Andre Dawkins did as a freshman (477).
    Yeah Dre was the only depth Duke had at guard/wing for his Freshman year. Tucker has to beat out O'Connell, White and possibly Javin, to be the first guard/wing off the bench. Tucker does have a nice looking stroke though.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I don't think I have seen anyone say Tucker might be a lockdown defender. I have seen it said about Trent and Duval, but not Tucker.
    I did see one video of Coach K praising his defense, but it was likely just coach speak. I tend to agree that he doesn't strike me initially as a lockdown defender. We shall see. I think he will have a role on the team this year, but almost purely as a spot up shooter in less than 10 minutes per game.

It's probably more appropriate to talk about it in terms of mpg, not total minutes. Dawkins played 38 games as a freshman.

That being said, I think there will be more than 12.6 mpg (Dawkins' freshman average) available for the taking. While I would expect Allen to play as much as he can and approach Scheyer's 36.8 mpg, there is no guarantee he stays healthy all year. And I definitely wouldn't expect Duval and Trent to match the 35+ mpg for Smith and Singler. There should be between 5 and 10 more mpg on the perimeter this year than that year. And that's assuming no injuries. The 2010 team was EXTREMELY fortunate to have no injuries to their backcourt players.

Of course, there are more bench options available this year than in 2010. Tucker will compete with O'Connell and possibly White for those backup wing minutes. And there always the remote chance that DeLaurier plays on the wing, though I think that is unlikely.

The other wild card in this though is that Tucker COULD be asked to play some stretch 4 too. Right now, we have just two guys certain to be in the frontcourt rotation (Carter and Bolden), and Bolden hasn't yet shown he's ready for major minutes. DeLaurier would seem to be the next option (backing up Carter at PF with Carter moving to C when Bolden needs to sit), but he too is completely unproven.

Basically, Tucker would either have to clearly beat out O'Connell, or steal some minutes at PF, or see us have an injury to a starter to make it happen. So while I definitely don't expect Tucker to average 12.6 mpg, I can certainly see an avenue for it to happen. I'm not sure "shocked" is the word I'd use to describe how I'd feel if he accomplishes it. "Surprised" for sure, but "shocked" seems an overstatement.