Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fgb View Post
    except that jackson is not a point guard.
    I totally agree.

Also - I read that Giles hasn't signed with an agent (fanbuzz.com). I'm not sure if this is correct or not. Is there any chance of him coming back? Lastly, I think w/ Jackson gone to the NBA, the coaching staff could make a strong push for Bamba to play along side Bolden (who I really thought was more of a PF than a true C). Wishful thinking, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    At the beginning of the year, we were expecting to lose Allen, Kennard, Giles, Tatum, Jackson, and Bolden in addition to the graduation of Jefferson and Jones and we were all ecstatic at the firepower that we had on the team. Now, we're telling them to not let the door hit them on the way out? Is it because we didn't win it all? Cuz after this year, I still expected all of them to leave. I hoped a few would stay, and Jackson's departure is probably the most surprising. But, the NBA is built on potential and Jackson has a ton of it. He likely balled out at the combine and some teams gave him the word that if available in the first round they will take him.

I wish Frank nothing but the best. I was hoping he'd come back, but understand that he has a great opportunity and is going to seek his dream. I can't be mad at that at all. And I will always consider him a part of the Duke family. I would hope that everyone else joins me in that sentiment.
    I agree with your message absolutely. However, I don't think many on the board expected Kennard to go pro at the beginning of this season (and Jackson as well was largely expected to be a 2+ year player). So, yeah, Allen, Giles, Tatum, and (likely) Bolden. But we ended up also losing Kennard, Jeter, and Jackson. Of course, Allen unexpectedly came back. Luke was definitely a surprise to a lot of folks with his huge games that started early on in the season.

DraftExpress characterized Luke this way in November:
    "Kennard figures to play a prominent role for Mike Krzyzewski's program for the foreseeable future, and ultimately find his way onto the NBA radar." it's a "little early to make definitive statements about where he stands as a NBA prospect." http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Luke-Kennard-72914/

At the beginning of the year, we were expecting to lose Allen, Kennard, Giles, Tatum, Jackson, and Bolden in addition to the graduation of Jefferson and Jones and we were all ecstatic at the firepower that we had on the team. Now, we're telling them to not let the door hit them on the way out? Is it because we didn't win it all? Cuz after this year, I still expected all of them to leave. I hoped a few would stay, and Jackson's departure is probably the most surprising. But, the NBA is built on potential and Jackson has a ton of it. He likely balled out at the combine and some teams gave him the word that if available in the first round they will take him.

I wish Frank nothing but the best. I was hoping he'd come back, but understand that he has a great opportunity and is going to seek his dream. I can't be mad at that at all. And I will always consider him a part of the Duke family. I would hope that everyone else joins me in that sentiment.
    To be fair, I think some of this is revisionist history. I don't think many if any were expecting Kennard to leave as a sophomore as of last October. Same with Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by WVDUKEFAN View Post
    I totally agree.

Also - I read that Giles hasn't signed with an agent (fanbuzz.com). I'm not sure if this is correct or not. Is there any chance of him coming back? Lastly, I think w/ Jackson gone to the NBA, the coaching staff could make a strong push for Bamba to play along side Bolden (who I really thought was more of a PF than a true C). Wishful thinking, I suppose.
    Giles is not coming back. He is all in on the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    Profoundly disappointing. My engagement in Duke basketball slips ever further.

(While down the road they win a title with a senior who was a top-10 recruit, a junior NPOY candidate who is returning for his senior season, and a junior top-15 recruit who is returning for his senior season. Karma? What karma?)
    I fully expect UNC will win the ACC next year- if Bradley comes back, as it looks to be the case.

Jones, Thornton, Jackson, and next Duval? Our freshmen pgs aren't making it to their sophomore seasons.

Best of luck Frank. It would have been nice to see you develop next year but I understand the lure of the NBA.

I pride myself in being overly positive about any member of the Duke basketball brotherhood. I also can't imagine what goes on inside of an 18 year old kid's mind when an NBA executive tells him he'll be drafted.

But this is stupid. Plain, ugly, and grossly stupid. I wish for him nothing but success, but I would be lying if I said I will care when (if?) he fails miserably in the never ending cycle of D-league.

Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by fgb View Post
    except that jackson is not a point guard.
    He was listed as a point guard on every major recruiting website before coming to Duke, and now listed a point guard on every NBA mock draft site, and he even started at point guard for Duke for the last 8 games of the season. He's a point guard. He's certainly not any less of a point guard than Derryck Thornton.

But that wasn't even the point of my post. The point is, you can get away with not having outstanding big men in college basketball. You cannot get away with not having good ball handlers. Grayson Allen is the only proven ball handler on the roster right now, and it's going to be a major problem if we don't get Duval.

Anyone plugged into the grad transfer market? Are there any decent guards left to recruit?

If given the choice I would've taken Jackson over Duval but signing Duval is very important now. Tucker is needed now too assuming he's more ready than O'Connell to be a third shooter along with GA and Trent. When was the last time you could see a Duke lineup on the floor with only one legit threat from 3? Assuming GA and Trent don't play every minute of every game that could happen with regularity this year. Jack, O'Connell and possibly Tucker are the only other shooters available. And yes there is even room for Bamba now Because Duke will almost certainly play mostly lineups with two true post players. In that case there will be plenty of minutes when one of Carter or Bolden aren't on the court even without injuries. I think Javin, Vrank, and Jack can handle splitting the third option now if we don't get Bamba tho.

Quote Originally Posted by WVDUKEFAN View Post
    I totally agree.

I expect Bolden to play center and Carter to play PF. I don't see us signing Bamba.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I fully expect UNC will win the ACC next year- if Bradley comes back, as it looks to be the case.
    Has there been a change in the CW on this? Bradley pulling out of workouts yesterday was seen by most to be a sign that he had a guarantee and was staying in the draft.

UNC might well be the favorite -- we certainly shouldn't be Duval and/or Tucker or not -- but based on everything I read yesterday, Tony Bradley shouldn't be expected to help them defend.

Good luck Frank!
    Make the family proud.

Al Jackson has an unrealistic view of his son's current status as an NBA prospect. Hope he likes riding on buses, that's his life for the next couple years. I do think he'll have a solid career, but if it took Quinn and Seth 2-3 years to get a guaranteed contract, I don't think Frank's getting one right away.

I don't think Utah will take him in round 1 either. I know he's from Utah, but teams don't make decisions based on home town guys, at least good teams (See Charlotte Hornets).
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by DukeTrinity11 View Post
    I've never been more disappointed with a decision by a Duke player ever.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out Frank.
    I will get flamed for this, but totally agree with the sentiment, if not the "ever" part. Wish him the best, but...it's his right to leave and my right to erase him from my memory. bah bye...

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    To be fair, I think some of this is revisionist history. I don't think many if any were expecting Kennard to leave as a sophomore as of last October. Same with Jackson.
    I will say that we did discuss it last fall on the podcast on a few episodes that it wouldn't be surprising at all if all of the above left for the NBA. We also were very bullish on the prospects of Kennard having a great season and raising his stock, though we didn't think he would lead our team in scoring.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Insert This Is Fine meme here

I will say that we did discuss it last fall on the podcast on a few episodes that it wouldn't be surprising at all if all of the above left for the NBA. We also were very bullish on the prospects of Kennard having a great season and raising his stock, though we didn't think he would lead our team in scoring.
    Then you were probably the only ones thinking that about Kennard. Even kaze - Kennard's #1 supporter - didn't think he'd have such a good year that he'd leave early. I agree on Tatum, Allen, Giles, Bolden, and - to a lesser extent - Jackson. But given the deep draft, Jackson's good-but-not-great season, and his likely featuring at a guard-oriented school like Duke, I'm shocked he left for the draft. Pre-season? Certainly could see it. Post-season? Very surprising.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I do not understand how anyone could fault Jackson, or any human on the planet, for opting to pursue vast amounts of money in exchange for playing a child's game.

Good for Jackson.

And Kennard.

And Tatum.

And Giles.

And every player before them and every player to come after.

Duke will be fine. And if not, then it is not now, will not be, nor will ever be, Jackson's problem or responsibility.

The Cinderella song said it best, "You Don't Know What You've Got Till It's Gone."

Way too many of you on this forum shortchanged Frank's current ability and future potential to become a GREAT PG.

I wish Frank the best of luck in the NBA, the kid can play.

I saw today that Makai Mason committed to Baylor. Bummer

edit to add: turns out he'll still be playing for Yale this next season, and will play at Baylor the year after next. This is because he missed a year and the Ivy League doesn't allow redshirts, so he already knows he'll need to play his 4th season somewhere else.