Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post

* Regarding the wide receivers, I agree that I believe we have a solid group though are missing that #1 type. Using the baseball analogy of a pitching rotation with the ace as the #1 starter through the fifth pitcher, I think we have a bunch of solid #2's and #3's. We're looking for that #1 receiver to emerge, that guy that can just go get you catches, first downs, and just make a play when everyone knows you need to make a play. We're hoping that Bracey has that kind of ability. If we don't find a true #1, we at least need to find someone who can consistently stretch the field (which also requires our QB to throw it near him and for the receiver to catch it - we usually are missing one aspect of this play), or be able to take a slant and break it. The ability to stretch the field will open things up for our short passing game, our TE's and create more room for our running back to operate. It will also loosen up the line for our running attack. Right now, defenses don't have to worry about deep balls (with the possible exception of Rahming getting free).

Just something to keep in mind, over the last three games of the season, TJ Rahming had 28 catches for 333 yards. Extrapolate that for a full season, and it would certainly qualify as #1 WR numbers.

Most of us are still hoping that the uber talented Scott Bracey steps up and solidifies that outside WR position.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    While I agree with your point overall -- that freshmen OL should never play -- it's not true that Cut has never played one. He played Julian Santos nine games (101 snaps) last season. Before that, you have to go back to Bryan Morgan in 2007 to find a true freshmen playing in the OL.

It is interesting that a number of true freshmen OL have played at excelled in the ACC in recent years -- Clemson, FSU and Georgia Tech have all had success with true freshmen starters up front.

But I think that's the difference between five-star and four-star (or three-star) recruits. We see it in basketball, where we expect Duke's five-star recruits to be immediate impact players. But Duke doesn't get five-star recruits in football (not since Vince Oghabaase). You can find a lot of three star and four star gems, but it takes time to let them grow.

Guessing which true freshmen will play depends on two issues -- team need and player ability.

I can't think of any area where Duke NEEDS immediate impact, except in the kicking department. There are three recruited walk-ons in camp to challenge Reed (and Austin Parker, who kicked last spring). If one of them wins the job in preseason, that guy will go on scholarship very quickly.

The other area that needs an upgrade is the pass rush. A year ago, we were desperate at DL and played five true freshmen DEs. It's a promising bunch, but none had had a huge impact as a pass rusher. I think that's why Drew Jordan is almost certainly (barring injury) the most likely freshman to make an impact.

I too like Deon Jackson -- and running back is a position where freshman often make a big impact. But Duke does have Shaun Wilson, backed up by two very promising redshirt freshmen (Brown and Deveaux. Cut usually likes to go three-deep at TB and it takes 4-5 players to maintain three-deep throughout the season. So I think there is room for Jackson.

This freshman class has a lot of quality at the receiver positions. But Cut has said this is the deepest WR group he's ever had -- and he's adding Bracey to Rahming, Lloyd. Chambers, Fuller, Young and Taylor. But freshman Damond Johnson is faster than any of them. Does that earn him playing time? At TE, Cut has two solid veterans (Helm and Koppenhaver), plus a very promising redshirt in Birmingham. Is three enough? If not then Marwede (the second rated prospect in this class) or Gray, a guy they like a lot, will get a chance. At least one will redshirt, maybe both.

I can't see a true freshmen OL playing.

To go to defense -- Jordan is the one likely contributor up front. Maybe one of the three DTs (Dimukje is the best), but certainly nobody at LB, where Duke has two starters, five veterans and two very highly rated redshirt freshmen.

The secondary is a different story. Duke has three vets at CB (that counts Mark Gilbert, who played as a true freshman last year; and junior Zach Muniz, who redshirted last year) and one redshirt freshman. If Waters is as good as the staff thinks, he could crack that rotation. At safety, Duke has five veterans and three nice redshirts. Maybe Josh Blackwell could play, but there is a lot of talent ahead of him.

Understand that freshmen DBs and LBs sometimes get on the field early as coverage guys on kick returns. No way to guess who slips through that crack.

I guess if I had to rate the most likely to play in order:

1. Drew Jordan DE
    2. Deon Jackson TB
    3. Victor Dimukje DT
    4. Maquis Waters CB
    5. A walk-in placekicker (Diggers or Cone?)

The rest -- Johnson, Mawede, Blackwell are very good prospects, but unless there is a rash of injuries to their spots, I would expect them to redshirt.
    Great summary. Thanks!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Big recruiting news today ...

The No. 1 running back in the Class of 2018 is a kid named Zamir "Zeus" White, from Scotland County, NC. He made his commitment Tuesday.

The UNC people were sure they were going to get him ... instead, he committed to Georgia.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...orgia-bulldogs

If you want a laugh, visit the Tar Pit (the football message board associated with Inside Carolina) are read some of the comments. It's side-splitting ... like the fans who can't understand why a kid would pass up a chance to attend "a top 25 academic school"

This one in particular drives me crazy. For a whole host of reasons. We can pretty much offer anything UGA can,, and in most cases more. Only to still lose him. In comparison to GA in this case, to me it's just not close. 1-Top 25 Academics, 2- Top 20 most beautiful campus, 3- Top 10 College Town, 4- Basically 4 hours closer for your friends and family to see you 5- exposure is equal 6- your best friend "blood brother" already plays here, 6- Top 10 in first round picks since 2010, 7- 2nd only to Bama in RB's in the NFL, 8- Top 5 in wins over the last 2 years 9- Were the home team. 10- He should be able to start day 1 period, that's not a given over at GA because they still will have 2 beast backs there after Chubb and Michell leave. There's literally no reason we shouldn't have landed this guy

You can't make this stuff up.

The No. 1 running back in the Class of 2018 is a kid named Zamir "Zeus" White, from Scotland County, NC. He made his commitment Tuesday.

The UNC people were sure they were going to get him ... instead, he committed to Georgia.

If you want a laugh, visit the Tar Pit (the football message board associated with Inside Carolina) are read some of the comments. It's side-splitting ... like the fans who can't understand why a kid would pass up a chance to attend "a top 25 academic school"

This one in particular drives me crazy. For a whole host of reasons. We can pretty much offer anything UGA can,, and in most cases more. Only to still lose him. In comparison to GA in this case, to me it's just not close. 1-Top 25 Academics, 2- Top 20 most beautiful campus, 3- Top 10 College Town, 4- Basically 4 hours closer for your friends and family to see you 5- exposure is equal 6- your best friend "blood brother" already plays here, 6- Top 10 in first round picks since 2010, 7- 2nd only to Bama in RB's in the NFL, 8- Top 5 in wins over the last 2 years 9- Were the home team. 10- He should be able to start day 1 period, that's not a given over at GA because they still will have 2 beast backs there after Chubb and Michell leave. There's literally no reason we shouldn't have landed this guy

That really is delusional, all the way around. Except that Georgia is loaded and he may not get as many touches as a frosh than he would at UNC.

The idea that UNC and UGa are somehow on par in football -- let alone that UNC is superior -- is laughable. UGa had a rebuilding year with a new coach last season; they should be much improved this year. (Although I would not be surprised to see Notre Dame knock them off early in South Bend).
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 06-28-2017 at 04:39 AM.

Guess he chose Georgia cause he can't stand UNC fans. There can't be any other reason.

Not huge news, but Cut just made a number of changes to his support staff:

From the release:

DURHAM, N.C. – Duke head coach David Cutcliffe announced on Wednesday the addition of four staff members and the promotion of another for the 2017 campaign. Joining the Blue Devil program are graduate assistant coach Cory Beck, Football Operations assistants Justin Manning and Gerad Parker and Football Assistant Director of Information Technology Andy Parham. In addition, Cutcliffe announced the promotion of Adam Barkley to the position of Football Director of Information Technology.

Not huge news, but Cut just made a number of changes to his support staff:

From the release:

DURHAM, N.C. – Duke head coach David Cutcliffe announced on Wednesday the addition of four staff members and the promotion of another for the 2017 campaign. Joining the Blue Devil program are graduate assistant coach Cory Beck, Football Operations assistants Justin Manning and Gerad Parker and Football Assistant Director of Information Technology Andy Parham. In addition, Cutcliffe announced the promotion of Adam Barkley to the position of Football Director of Information Technology.
    Interesting backstory on Parker.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...158596404.html

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Guess he chose Georgia cause he can't stand UNC fans. There can't be any other reason.
    I can understand the sentiment: "Stay home and your friends can see you play." The truth is often very different. My attitude applying to college was, "I am so out of here!"
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Pretty inflammatory headline: "Despite criminal charge back home, Duke hires former interim Big Ten head coach"
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Top 5 in wins in the conference? Certainly not in the country.

Small town NC native defects to UGA? If he needs a nickname, I'm sure he can borrow The Human Highlight Film.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Pretty inflammatory headline: "Despite criminal charge back home, Duke hires former interim Big Ten head coach"

Cut: " I know he’s comfortable with it. and I’m comfortable with it."

If Cut is "comfortable" with it, I'm comfortable with it.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I work directly with Andy Parham's dad. Pretty cool. Kid comes from a great family. After working at a couple deep south colleges, this was a 'get to come home" job opportunity for him and he loves it already.

Not surprising from a UNC fan but he can't count either.

New Commit

Duke has landed 3-star Cornerback Nate Thompson from Sanford NC. He has nice size at 6-2, 180 and has an offer sheet that includes South Carolina, VA Tech, NC State, Purdue, Syracuse and Wake Forest and interest from Clemson.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...ruit-duke-gang

Welcome to Duke Nate Thompson!!

Quote Originally Posted by richmclean View Post
    Duke has landed 3-star Cornerback Nate Thompson from Sanford NC. He has nice size at 6-2, 180 and has an offer sheet that includes South Carolina, VA Tech, NC State, Purdue, Syracuse and Wake Forest and interest from Clemson.

After no NC recruits last year, Nate is our 5th in this year's class. Welcome Nate!
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Welcome, Nate!

Rivals rates Nate a 4 star recruit. 247 rates him a high 3 star.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Hate to bring this back up (love it actually) buuutttt...

Guess that "top 25" academics didn't teach someone how to count...
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by richmclean View Post

It's not quite another North Carolina guy, but just over the border at Richland, SC (which is actually in the center of the state), there is a 3/4 star running back named Mataeo Durant who will announce his college choice Saturday. Durant is 6-0, 183 and runs the 40 in 4.46. He's expected to choose between Duke and Virginia Tech, but he also has offers from West Virginia, Georgia Tech, Mississippi State, Wake Forest, East Carolina and over a dozen smaller schools.