Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    No. A Dandy Ferry.
    I dunno. FerryFor50 is pretty dandy, too, or so I've heard. From friends.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Thanks all for feedback on the ferry. Have been to games at Navy and Air Force and the pre-game pageantry was very cool.

Other thing I've heard about Army football is that the Thayer Hotel is the place to stay, but reservations are difficult.

Some kind of ferry mix/match that would allow plenty of time for pre-game exploration would seem to be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I dunno. FerryFor50 is pretty dandy, too, or so I've heard. From friends.
    Is (s)he dapper? Nae, downright debonair?

Quote Originally Posted by FadedTackyShirt View Post
    Thanks all for feedback on the ferry. Have been to games at Navy and Air Force and the pre-game pageantry was very cool.

Other thing I've heard about Army football is that the Thayer Hotel is the place to stay, but reservations are difficult.

Some kind of ferry mix/match that would allow plenty of time for pre-game exploration would seem to be ideal.
    Will Gerry and the Pacemakers be there?

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Now you're talking!

Now you're talking!
    Always beating that drum...

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Always beating that drum...
    Pacemakers? Beating? Well done.

You'll never walk alone.

This thread is solid, but could still use more Zevon (Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner or Excitable Boy) and cowbell...

Now you're talking!
    Figured you for a Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers guy.

You'll never walk alone.
    Didn't know this thread would turn into a discussion of Liverpool F.C.

This thread is solid, but could still use more Zevon (Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner or Excitable Boy) and cowbell...
    Everything goes better with Zevon. Enjoy every sandwich. (And don't fear the reaper, per the boys from Oyster Bay).

Back to actually discussing the football team, here is a video clip with Coach Cutcliffe on special teams:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

There is a long list of players competing to return punts: Shaun Wilson, T.J. Rahming, Scott Bracey, Keyston Fuller and more.

Coach Cutcliffe calls Alonzo Saxton an impact player on the coverage teams...the best Duke has ever had...best in the nation. Those are strong words.

Shaun Wilson has electrifying speed returning kicks.
    Bob Green

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I've heard good things about the ferry. Though one advantage of driving (and I agree with the poster above who said that parking is not ideal) is that you can get there really early. I have been there before for games and beforehand they have military marching and ceremonies which are very cool to watch. However, they require getting there a few hours before the game, which starts at noon. Which ends up helping with parking...

The stadium at Army is beautiful - on a hill overlooking the river. Trees will likely be past peak by then but still a great atmosphere. And the game is on Veteran's Day, which should be extra special at West Point.
    Two seasons ago, I arrived in West Point right about 9AM. I finally parked about 10:30, and I had a pre-paid parking pass. Parked in what I believe was the next-to-last "space" next to the Hudson. Barely made it to the ID pre-game brunch before making to the game.

Please, may the punting and place kicking be strong and reliable this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Back to actually discussing the football team, here is a video clip with Coach Cutcliffe on special teams:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

There is a long list of players competing to return punts: Shaun Wilson, T.J. Rahming, Scott Bracey, Keyston Fuller and more.

Coach Cutcliffe calls Alonzo Saxton an impact player on the coverage teams...the best Duke has ever had...best in the nation. Those are strong words.

Shaun Wilson has electrifying speed returning kicks.
    Crowder-like? Edwards-like?

Oh please, oh please.

Crowder-like? Edwards-like?

Oh please, oh please.
    Well, from a game we attended:

https://youtu.be/MXYWrxCDF7o

(And right to the corner where I was sitting!)

It is so great to be able to look forward to football season.

Not long ago, Duke Football was the leading cause of Tourette's Syndrome in America.

Looking forward to 2017 it is time that Duke has a season with just a fewer injuries, last year was tough losing 3 of 4 captains plus others.

Kicking game (FG especially), along with DEs and DBs will be the key IMO. I feel offense will be improved over last year and look for some younger guys to step up on offense.

GO DUKE!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Devil549 View Post
    I feel offense will be improved over last year and look for some younger guys to step up on offense.
    Thanks for joining the conversation! I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on which younger offensive players will step up.
    Bob Green

Offensive guys who IMO could step up and contribute this year:
    OG Santos
    RBs Brown and Deveaux
    TE Birmingham
    WR Bracey and Fuller

Bracey and Santos may start but the others could play and move up into 2 deep.
    Last edited by Devil549; 05-07-2017 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Two seasons ago, I arrived in West Point right about 9AM. I finally parked about 10:30, and I had a pre-paid parking pass. Parked in what I believe was the next-to-last "space" next to the Hudson. Barely made it to the ID pre-game brunch before making to the game.
    as I said earlier in the thread, get to West Point really, really early. Last time we went we had gobs of time, but the remote shuttles were inadequate to move the crowd (Army logistics???) so we walked
    and had plenty of time. But fans were still streaming into Michie Stadium in good numbers early in the second quarter..

Quote Originally Posted by Devil549 View Post
    Offensive guys who IMO could step up and contribute this year:
    OG Santos
    RBs Brown and Deveaux
    TE Birmingham
    WR Bracey and Fuller
    The running back position is prime target for one of the young players to step up and make an impact. My money is on Brittain Brown. Senior Shaun Wilson is going to be the featured back but everyone who has paid attention to Duke football in recent years knows Coach Cutcliffe likes to use multiple backs.

At receiver, the guy I'm high on is Aaron Young who has great size at 6'2" 205 and is coming of a respectable redshirt freshman season. He caught 11 passes for 124 yards and two touchdowns. I distinctly remember Coach Cutcliffe commenting on his great hands, during post game comments.

I'm intrigued by Damond Johnson's speed. We have no idea if he has the receiver skills, hands and route running discipline, to play as a true freshman but I do know the receiving corps needs a legitimate deep threat. Johnson has the speed to fill that role so we will all have to wait and see if he can earn immediate playing time.

Birmingham has two talented TEs in front of him, Helm and Koppenhaver, but it would be nice to have a TE who is a punishing blocker, a road grader, in the rotation.

It has been stated previously, by Olympic Fan and others, the 2017 roster is the deepest group of receivers Coach Cutcliffe has had at Duke. It remains to be seen whether or not they are the best group of receivers.
    Bob Green