Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    No road trips ...

Duke plays both Northwestern and Pitt in Durham ...

The five road games are at UNC, at Virginia, at Virginia Tech, at Army and at Wake Forest ...
    Guess I shoulda looked at the home/away. I forgot we played both away last year.

Maybe Army? Virginia? Time to make a plan.

Planning to be in Durham for the FSU game. A collision of undefeated teams. Should be epic.

(Don't step on my buzz)

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Planning to be in Durham for the FSU game. A collision of undefeated teams. Should be epic.

(Don't step on my buzz)
    Tent 7. You know my name. Look up the number.

Send lawyers, ales and porters. Or something Warren sang.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Tent 7. You know my name. Look up the number.

Send lawyers, ales and porters. Or something Warren sang.
    Lawyers (or at least one lawyer and probably more) will already be there! But ales and porters sound terrific.

I highly recommend a game at West Point, as a bucket list item. Was there for the beatdown we put on them in 2015 on a gorgeous fall day in the Hudson River valley. Pro tip: avoid the Ramada Inn up the road in Newburgh NY.

BTW I'm now a first time season ticket holder and will try to connect with some of you regulars this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Clocktower View Post
    I highly recommend a game at West Point, as a bucket list item. Was there for the beatdown we put on them in 2015 on a gorgeous fall day in the Hudson River valley. Pro tip: avoid the Ramada Inn up the road in Newburgh NY.

BTW I'm now a first time season ticket holder and will try to connect with some of you regulars this fall.
    Is the campus reachable by rail?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Berg View Post
    You can take a train to Peekskill but then need to take a taxi, which is about 20 minutes away (on game day could be longer with traffic). The NYC alumni set up buses to take people to and from Manhattan in 2015.

Has anyone here ever taken a ferry from NYC/NJ up the Hudson on game day?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Berg View Post
    It's a great experience, but you could almost say it's hardly reachable by car. Takes longer to get to than you might think...allow gobs of time
    because the parking situation (last time I went anyway) was weird...shuttle buses from the remote parking spot could not keep up with
    demand, so we found it easy to walk, but it's quite a long distance, took a long time. Plan accordingly.

p.s. I don't believe it's on any major rail line...

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    Maybe Army? Virginia? Time to make a plan.
    I attended the last two games in Charlottesville (2013 & 2015) and am tentatively planning to make the trip in 2017. Scott Stadium is a nice place.
    Bob Green

Just to keep some football discussion going, attached is a link to another ESPN.com ACC blog post with post spring ACC power rankings. The rankings have Duke 8th (4th best of the Coastal teams). Although some will argue about it, I think it's still a positive write up. As an FYI, they list Ga Tech, Pitt and Duke sixth through eighth.

While the rest of the Coastal is trying to figure out its QB situation, Duke might make the case for having the league’s best. Daniel Jones made huge strides last season, and he should pair well with a solid receiving corps. The front seven looks strong, too, but the secondary and ground game remain worrisome enough that we’re not ready to predict a division title for the Blue Devils.
    http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/...e-looks-strong

...the secondary and ground game remain worrisome enough that we’re not ready to predict a division title for the Blue Devils.
    I'm optimistic on the ground game. The addition of graduate transfer Evan Lisle (6'7" 310) at right tackle should complement the three returning starters on the offensive line resulting in a unit capable of winning the battle in the trenches and opening up some running room. Moreover, there are talented redshirt freshmen offensive linemen who will compete to play. As has been stated earlier in the thread, there is an abundance of talented younger players on the roster.

Shaun Wilson is an experienced and explosive first option at running back with redshirt freshmen Brittain Brown and Elijah Deveaux in line to compete for carries.

Better blocking from the tight end position would be nice along with executing the read option and run-pass option plays to take advantage of whether the defense is giving up a numbers advantage "in the box" or "on the edge" to gain an advantage. Daniel Jones will need to make the right reads and I am confident he is spending a lot of time studying those reads in the off season.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I attended the last two games in Charlottesville (2013 & 2015) and am tentatively planning to make the trip in 2017. Scott Stadium is a nice place.
    Agreed. My son and I were there in 2015 and we plan to take the wives this year. We really enjoyed the back roads journey from Raleigh and Charlottesville was fun.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by FadedTackyShirt View Post
    Has anyone here ever taken a ferry from NYC/NJ up the Hudson on game day?
    Yes, lots of Duke fans on the ferry and great scenery on the way up. I'd do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Yes, lots of Duke fans on the ferry and great scenery on the way up. I'd do it again.

Would that make it a FerryFor50?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Would that make it a FerryFor50?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    No. A Dandy Ferry.

From a left coaster: I assume those are game day charter ferries. So how do you sign up for one?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    From a left coaster: I assume those are game day charter ferries. So how do you sign up for one?
    Yes, same day chartered ferry. We purchased online. Recall googling the subject and picking out the right game day. It was easy to do and recall purchasing about a month ahead. Ferry leaves from Wall Street area.

Quote Originally Posted by Clocktower View Post

That's awesome! My wife and I loved having season tickets. We decided not to renew this year because we now have an infant. We've talked a lot about how we want to become season ticket holders again when our daughter gets old enough to appreciate the atmosphere and routine of game day. I don't know if any of you read Ben Swain's stuff but he has written in the past about how much Duke Football means to him because he grew up attending games with his dad. If my daughter is like her mother and loves sports then it is something I would like to do with her as well.

Yes, same day chartered ferry. We purchased online. Recall googling the subject and picking out the right game day. It was easy to do and recall purchasing about a month ahead. Ferry leaves from Wall Street area.
    I've heard good things about the ferry. Though one advantage of driving (and I agree with the poster above who said that parking is not ideal) is that you can get there really early. I have been there before for games and beforehand they have military marching and ceremonies which are very cool to watch. However, they require getting there a few hours before the game, which starts at noon. Which ends up helping with parking...

The stadium at Army is beautiful - on a hill overlooking the river. Trees will likely be past peak by then but still a great atmosphere. And the game is on Veteran's Day, which should be extra special at West Point.