Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Miami, yes ... Virginia Tech, well, let's just say I didn't see it.

Last year's their offense improved (to fifth best in the ACC), thanks to a fantastic season by grad transfer Jerod Evans at QB (better passing numbers than Deshaun Watson; more total offense than Mitch Tribisky). But he's gone and so are six offensive starters, including their two best wide receivers, Ford and Hodges.

I'm not saying they won't be solid -- I especially like what they have returning on defense. But I'm not ready to anoint Fuentes as a super-coach ... or even an upgrade on the sixth winningest FCS coach in college football history.

The Virginia Tech team we saw last year in Durham -- even with Evans, Ford, Hodges, et al -- wasn't overwhelming. They barely beat a struggling Duke team on the strength of a blocked field goal that was returned for a touchdown. I believe Duke will be a LOT better in 2017 ... will Virginia Tech?

PS FWIW, Duke is 2-1 against teams coached by Justin Fuentes
    Your stats are better than my intuition. If we beat VTI in Blacksburg this year, I will find this thread and bring it back to the top of our board.

And in regards to VTI upgrade in Coach...I thought Beamer was a great coach who just got burnt out towards the end.

Vpi !

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ it's great to see all the games, but if you're going to miss one, the NCCU game is a good choice. Rarely very interesting...but it'll be good to see who gets on the field among the frosh, RS frosh, etc.
    I agree...the only thing we are going to learn at the NCCU game is which true freshmen are going to play. Hopefully that is the only thing we learn because anything else will be bad news. You just can't learn anything good about your team in a game against an over matched FCS opponent.

During Week 2 and 3, we will learn a lot.
    Bob Green

Vpi !
    Whoops!

Living in Cali, you kinda forget about ACC acronyms...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I agree...the only thing we are going to learn at the NCCU game is which true freshmen are going to play. Hopefully that is the only thing we learn because anything else will be bad news. You just can't learn anything good about your team in a game against an over matched FCS opponent.

During Week 2 and 3, we will learn a lot.
    And hopefully learn that we have a competent kicker. If we are up big (hopefully), I am all for Cut going for field goals late. Have to find a kicker and build some confidence. Other than getting guys some experience, may be our biggest priority in the opener.

Video clip interview with linebacker Joe Giles-Harris:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLLx...ure=youtu.be&a

Video clip interview with wide receiver Johnathan Lloyd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRSmeyjSde4
    Bob Green

And another excellent article on the front page by Bob, this one on the O-line.

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    Whoops!

Living in Cali, you kinda forget about ACC acronyms...
    I thought you were making some kind of inside anti-Virginia Tech reference ... kind of like how State people often refer to the Cheats as UNCCH -- a disparaging reference that dates back to the early 1960s, when the legislature consolidated the university system and tried to change NC State College to UNC at Raleigh. State had enough clout to avoid that, and they fought back by demanding that UNC be referred to like all the other branches of the system (UNCP for UNC Pembroke, UNCC for UNC Charlotte, UNCG for UNC Greensboro, etc.).

The furor that the naming debate raised is kind of lost in the mists of time ... except for the occasional reference to UNCCH.

I thought your use of VTI was in that vein. The school in Blacksburg has had some naming issues. The full name of the school is almost never used and the familiar acronym VPI is even frowned upon.

I know that the original Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College officially became the Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute in 1896. Although the school was called Virginia Polytechnic Institute for most of the 20th century, it didn't become the official name until 1944. In 1970, the name was changed again -- to Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.

When Virginia Tech joined the ACC, the school sent out a memo to sports writers that the school preferred the term Virginia Tech and that the VPI acronym was not to be used. Not long after that, the basketball team played in throwback uniforms with VPI across the chest.

I did get an e-mail scolding me for using VPI in a story. At first, I was inclined to honor their wishes, but after Thad Lewis was systematically (and deliberately) assaulted in 2006, I decided I didn't give a fudge for their preference and I use VPI all the time. Some of Seth Greenberg's thuggery reinforced that point of view.

You know, thinking about it, VTI is not a bad way to disparage a thuggish school. I know the coaching regime has change in basketball and I like Buzz Williams a lot more than Seth. Fuentes has replaced Beamer in football, but defensive coordinator Bud Foster -- who planned the assault on Lewis -- remains, so I still retain my distain for the Hokies. At least as long as Foster is there.

So I think that I'll use VTI as an acronym for the Football Thugs ... basketball, I'll use VPI.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I thought you were making some kind of inside anti-Virginia Tech reference ... kind of like how State people often refer to the Cheats as UNCCH -- a disparaging reference that dates back to the early 1960s, when the legislature consolidated the university system and tried to change NC State College to UNC at Raleigh. State had enough clout to avoid that, and they fought back by demanding that UNC be referred to like all the other branches of the system (UNCP for UNC Pembroke, UNCC for UNC Charlotte, UNCG for UNC Greensboro, etc.).

The furor that the naming debate raised is kind of lost in the mists of time ... except for the occasional reference to UNCCH.

I thought your use of VTI was in that vein. The school in Blacksburg has had some naming issues. The full name of the school is almost never used and the familiar acronym VPI is even frowned upon.

I know that the original Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College officially became the Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute in 1896. Although the school was called Virginia Polytechnic Institute for most of the 20th century, it didn't become the official name until 1944. In 1970, the name was changed again -- to Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.

When Virginia Tech joined the ACC, the school sent out a memo to sports writers that the school preferred the term Virginia Tech and that the VPI acronym was not to be used. Not long after that, the basketball team played in throwback uniforms with VPI across the chest.

I did get an e-mail scolding me for using VPI in a story. At first, I was inclined to honor their wishes, but after Thad Lewis was systematically (and deliberately) assaulted in 2006, I decided I didn't give a fudge for their preference and I use VPI all the time. Some of Seth Greenberg's thuggery reinforced that point of view.

You know, thinking about it, VTI is not a bad way to disparage a thuggish school. I know the coaching regime has change in basketball and I like Buzz Williams a lot more than Seth. Fuentes has replaced Beamer in football, but defensive coordinator Bud Foster -- who planned the assault on Lewis -- remains, so I still retain my distain for the Hokies. At least as long as Foster is there.

So I think that I'll use VTI as an acronym for the Football Thugs ... basketball, I'll use VPI.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Great summary and reflects my thoughts on the VPI Fball/BBall thug history.

^ it's great to see all the games, but if you're going to miss one, the NCCU game is a good choice. Rarely very interesting...but it'll be good to see who gets on the field among the frosh, RS frosh, etc.
    We're in agreement here except for the fact that obviously this is the first game and everything that entails...smoke as the players enter the field, (probably) post game fireworks, both fans and the team are totally amped, and we may see some future stars give us a glimpse of what they're capable of. I'd be lying if I said I'm not going to miss all that!

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    And hopefully learn that we have a competent kicker. If we are up big (hopefully), I am all for Cut going for field goals late. Have to find a kicker and build some confidence. Other than getting guys some experience, may be our biggest priority in the opener.
    I concur. Assuming we're up by a good bit, I'd love to see the coaching staff give our kicker(s) multiple chances in this game to get some in game experience. Let's be honest, nothing can really replace that.

All that said, I'm ready for some Duke football!

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    We're in agreement here except for the fact that obviously this is the first game and everything that entails...smoke as the players enter the field, (probably) post game fireworks, both fans and the team are totally amped, and we may see some future stars give us a glimpse of what they're capable of. I'd be lying if I said I'm not going to miss all that!

I concur. Assuming we're up by a good bit, I'd love to see the coaching staff give our kicker(s) multiple chances in this game to get some in game experience. Let's be honest, nothing can really replace that.

All that said, I'm ready for some Duke football!
    Of course I'll be watching the NCCU game via the miracle that is ESPN3 (might as well get something useful out of the entity that forces us into so many unnecessary noon games).

Hydration? Gatorade is good for you.

Stephen Wiseman‏ @stevewisemanNC 47m47 minutes ago

Mild injury concern at Duke practice: Cutcliffe said WR Scott Bracey slowed by leg muscle strain. He missed last year with hamstring injury
    Bob Green

True freshman center Will Taylor is out for the season with a knee injury:

Stephen Wiseman‏ @stevewisemanNC 38m38 minutes ago

More serious Duke injury news: Freshman center Will Taylor had knee surgery and is out for season. Was a redshirt candidate anyway.
    Bob Green

Maybe time to shutdown practices and just show up for the Central game in September.😡

Hope he has a full and quick recovery. As stated, likely a redshirt anyway but still hate to lose the training time and practice effort.

"Too soon to know. Happened late in practice. Team is off Monday. Cut mildly frustrated with guys not doing necessary year round work"

Surprised a 4-8 squad would cause frustration for not putting forth the off season work. I trust Cut will sort this out.

In full pads, injuries will happen. So far, no reported metatarsal issues. Go Duke.

From the N&O this AM:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/

First sentence sums it up well:

"The competition for a new Duke Blue Devils football starting kicker is fierce."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    From the N&O this AM:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/

First sentence sums it up well:

"The competition for a new Duke Blue Devils football starting kicker is fierce."
    Here's Cut on last year's kicking game:

“If a guy drops his head, if a guy stumps his toe, I’m looking at everything we’ve got,” Cutcliffe said. “Because I will have a hard time living the way I lived last year. I occasionally had acid reflux and I don’t want it worse.
    "Acid reflux?" That sums up my reaction to last year's kicking.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Here's Cut on last year's kicking game:

"Acid reflux?" That sums up my reaction to last year's kicking.
    I'm shocked it was only "occasionally."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I'm shocked it was only "occasionally."
    Yeah, and Tums didn't help!😡😈