Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Mine are always late, I think the Duke dirigible has trouble navigating hilly regions. I'm always amazed by how much crap they cram in the package.
    If only you had won the contest to have a Duke football rep deliver to your tree house personally...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    My season tickets arrived today! Now I am going to start counting the days.

My Duke flag wrapped tics were waiting for my when I got home.

"This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    If only you had won the contest to have a Duke football rep deliver to your tree house personally...

Dirigible just dropped them off...threw 90% of the junk out, but I do look forward to the fashionable Upper East Side...

Bob, do you or anybody else know what the placekicking competition looks like?

I admit, I am confused. Let me sum up what I know.

Last spring, Coach Cut had an open competition for the kicking jobs (FGs, EPs, KOs).

Punter Austin Parker emerged as the No. 1 placekicker ahead of 2016 starter AJ Reed. Will Kline (who did some kickoffs last year) was third. Never-used walkons Colin Wareham and Tim Skapek are listed 4th and 5th team.

But Cutcliffe said in Charlotte early in July that the competition will continue when camp opens (this coming Monday). I know that he will bring in three recruited (or preferred) walk-on kickers. If one wins the job, he'll go on scholarship.

The only one listed in the brochure is Jake Driggers, a 5-11, 170-poinder from Leon High in Jacksonville, Fla.

I'm told that he's the favorite to win the job.

But there is also a kid named Jackson Hubbard from Dallas, Tx. I know that he's 6-4, 190, but that's it.

It's the third newcomer hat interests me. I was told that he is a grad transfer from Tufts.

Is it Willie Holmquist?

Holmquist was listed as a senior kicker at Tufts last year, but he's actually a redshirt junior (he missed a year with health problems). He was the best kicker in that conference - hitting 8 of 11 field goals, including four over 40 yards (48, 46, 45, 41). As a junior, he kicked a game-winner in OT to beat Hamilton. He also hit 28 of 31 extra point tries. Now, I wouldn't get excited about Division III stats for a runner, a receiver a LB or a QB, but a kicker is a kicker, right?

The only thing is, I can't find any confirmation that Holmquist is "the kid from Tufts" that I was told about. Heck, it might be his backup that is transferring.

Does anybody else know if Holmquist is coming? I know the coaches like Driggers, but if it's Holmquist, this kid has college experience (kicking off the grass) and I like that.

But I repeat -- I don't have any evidence that Holmquist is coming, just the vague reference to a grad transfer from Tufts.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

Is it Willie Holmquist?

Holmquist was listed as a senior kicker at Tufts last year, but he's actually a redshirt junior (he missed a year with health problems). He was the best kicker in that conference - hitting 8 of 11 field goals, including four over 40 yards (48, 46, 45, 41). As a junior, he kicked a game-winner in OT to beat Hamilton. He also hit 28 of 31 extra point tries. Now, I wouldn't get excited about Division III stats for a runner, a receiver a LB or a QB, but a kicker is a kicker, right?

The only thing is, I can't find any confirmation that Holmquist is "the kid from Tufts" that I was told about. Heck, it might be his backup that is transferring.

Does anybody else know if Holmquist is coming? I know the coaches like Driggers, but if it's Holmquist, this kid has college experience (kicking off the grass) and I like that.

But I repeat -- I don't have any evidence that Holmquist is coming, just the vague reference to a grad transfer from Tufts.
    I don't know but this message board:

http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?ac...ssages;u=47616

has this post from May 10, 2017:

Hot off the presses:

Word on the street is that Tufts Kicker Willie Holmquist is attending Duke Business School next year, and will be kicking for the Blue Devils. (Willie has a year of eligibility left, as he was injured his sophomore year).

Shades of Steven Hauschka... Good luck to Willie!
    Bob Green

I am ready for some football !!!!

Does anybody know did Zach Morris a DT leave/transfer?

2018 recruiting is going well or so it seems... do we have another big recruit on the horizon?

Also IMO as we get more 4 star recruits look for more to play as true freshmen...I hope we are at the place with the program where true freshmen play because they are READY not because we lack depth at a position.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil549 View Post
    I am ready for some football !!!!

Does anybody know did Zach Morris a DT leave/transfer?

2018 recruiting is going well or so it seems... do we have another big recruit on the horizon?

Also IMO as we get more 4 star recruits look for more to play as true freshmen...I hope we are at the place with the program where true freshmen play because they are READY not because we lack depth at a position.
    I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that injuries got the better of Morris. You can get on the Devils Den or other sites and find recruits in their data base...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that injuries got the better of Morris. You can get on the Devils Den or other sites and find recruits in their data base...
    Morris is not listed in the 2017 Duke Football Brochure

Morris is not listed in the 2017 Duke Football Brochure
    He's listed as an undergrad assistant, along with Tariq Shabazz. Injuries got the better of both of them, unfortunately. Great to see them remain an active part of the program.

First practice, tomorrow (Monday) morning ... we'll get a firm idea then what the roster looks like ... who's healthy and who's hurting

Nice article on the front page today. This could be a fun year. Let's Go Duke!!!

I admit, I am confused. Let me sum up what I know.

Last spring, Coach Cut had an open competition for the kicking jobs (FGs, EPs, KOs).

Punter Austin Parker emerged as the No. 1 placekicker ahead of 2016 starter AJ Reed. Will Kline (who did some kickoffs last year) was third. Never-used walkons Colin Wareham and Tim Skapek are listed 4th and 5th team.

But Cutcliffe said in Charlotte early in July that the competition will continue when camp opens (this coming Monday). I know that he will bring in three recruited (or preferred) walk-on kickers. If one wins the job, he'll go on scholarship.

The only one listed in the brochure is Jake Driggers, a 5-11, 170-poinder from Leon High in Jacksonville, Fla.

I'm told that he's the favorite to win the job.

But there is also a kid named Jackson Hubbard from Dallas, Tx. I know that he's 6-4, 190, but that's it.

It's the third newcomer hat interests me. I was told that he is a grad transfer from Tufts.

Is it Willie Holmquist?

6 replies 41 retweets 263 likes
    Reply 6 Retweet 41 Like 263 Direct message
    Stephen Wiseman‏ @stevewisemanNC 3h3 hours ago
    More
    New entrant in Duke kicking derby: Willie Holmquist. Kicked at D3 Tufts U. Here as walk-on grad transfer. Fuqua student.
    0 replies 1 retweet 4 likes
    Reply Retweet 1 Like 4 Direct message
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

DE Chidi Okonya held out of practice today. Foot injury. LB Brandon Hill suffered unknown injury today.

Everybody else healthy, including Gabe Brandner, Scott Bracey and Keyston Fuller.

Austin Parker leading wide-open race for PK. Cut says he's very comfortable with Parker punting and place-kicking should it come to that. Long snapper, holder, punt return all TBD.

Hearing good things about RB Nico Pierre, finally figuring it out after moving from QB. Might be in the rotation this year,

Shaun Wilson and Mike Ramsey came in for special kudos from Cut today.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    DE Chidi Okonya held out of practice today. Foot injury. LB Brandon Hill suffered unknown injury today.

Everybody else healthy, including Gabe Brandner, Scott Bracey and Keyston Fuller.

Austin Parker leading wide-open race for PK. Cut says he's very comfortable with Parker punting and place-kicking should it come to that. Long snapper, holder, punt return all TBD.

Hearing good things about RB Nico Pierre, finally figuring it out after moving from QB. Might be in the rotation this year,

Thanks!

I continue to believe that, beyond health of Daniel Jones, the biggest decider of whether we bowl this season or not is the kicking game. There is some youth in the defense, but we have talent and really good coaching. O-line looks good. Skill positions look good, and a break-out deep threat would really add a lot. We have several folks who could do well on kick and punt returns.

But if we can't flip the field on punts, or count on mid-range field goals, we're gonna struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Thanks!

I continue to believe that, beyond health of Daniel Jones, the biggest decider of whether we bowl this season or not is the kicking game. There is some youth in the defense, but we have talent and really good coaching. O-line looks good. Skill positions look good, and a break-out deep threat would really add a lot. We have several folks who could do well on kick and punt returns.

But if we can't flip the field on punts, or count on mid-range field goals, we're gonna struggle.
    Actually, Parker was doing a good job punting until he broke his clavicle in the Louisville game (although he did have a few issues catching the snap early). But his net punting numbers were excellent. He averaged 40.9 yards a kick with just two touchbacks and 13 kicks downed inside the 20 Out of 38 kicks.

On the other hand, we went from 26 field goals in 2015 to three in 2016. That's an average difference of more than five points a game. The inability to convert a medium-range field goal had a big impact on several early games (Wake, Virginia, Northwestern and Georgia Tech and Louisville late) and, of course, the blocked field goal returned for a TD was the difference in a 3-point loss to Virginia Tech.

With even average placekicking, Duke is in a bowl last season ... going into this season, I feel like saying the same thing -- even average placekicking (and, as OPK says, a healthy Daniel Jones) and we'll be back in the bowl picture.

Actually, Parker was doing a good job punting until he broke his clavicle in the Louisville game (although he did have a few issues catching the snap early). But his net punting numbers were excellent. He averaged 40.9 yards a kick with just two touchbacks and 13 kicks downed inside the 20 Out of 38 kicks.

On the other hand, we went from 26 field goals in 2015 to three in 2016. That's an average difference of more than five points a game. The inability to convert a medium-range field goal had a big impact on several early games (Wake, Virginia, Northwestern and Georgia Tech and Louisville late) and, of course, the blocked field goal returned for a TD was the difference in a 3-point loss to Virginia Tech.

With even average placekicking, Duke is in a bowl last season ... going into this season, I feel like saying the same thing -- even average placekicking (and, as OPK says, a healthy Daniel Jones) and we'll be back in the bowl picture.
    THREE field goals. That's unbelievable that a Power 5 team can't make more than three field goals. Well said by you and OKP. Amazing that I'm just praying we can make 35-yarders (let alone 30-yarders). So excited that practice has started and the season is weeks away.

Thanks to you and Jim (and others) for the updates.

Not to mention the impact on the gameplan once we gave up on field goal kicking...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Unique year. Duke has tons of young, unproven talent, arguably some of our best ever...I have no idea how these guys will do, and the kicking game certainly is highly unpredictable.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

I am looking forward to seeing the running game this year as I am cautiously optimistic it will be more productive and it needs to be especially on 1st down. There are several guys worth being excited about such as Wilson, Brittain Brown and the two true freshmen Deon Jackson and Marvin Hubbard so if Pierre seriously competes for rotation time our depth will be more than solid.

Improvement in converting field goals is an absolute must for both points production and offensive strategy.
    Bob Green