Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    He didn't talk up Hurley prior to Hurley coming to Duke, as that would be a violation of NCAA rules. If Duval commits to Duke and arrives on campus, then we may or may not hear Coach K give him such praise.
    Coaches can talk about recruits after they sign an LOI.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Coaches can talk about recruits after they sign an LOI.
    yes and no.

WHEN a prospect signs a LOI, a coach has one window to comment on the recruit. After that, he can't talk about the kid to the media until he arrives on campus and actually attends a class -- so at Duke, that's usually early in July.

I was at the July press conference in 2010 when K broke his silence in Kyrie and essentially told us that he was building the team's offense around Irving's skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    yes and no.

WHEN a prospect signs a LOI, a coach has one window to comment on the recruit. After that, he can't talk about the kid to the media until he arrives on campus and actually attends a class -- so at Duke, that's usually early in July.

I was at the July press conference in 2010 when K broke his silence in Kyrie and essentially told us that he was building the team's offense around Irving's skills.
    How might that affect a unc recruit?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    These are NCAA rules, and clearly UNC isn't concerned about NCAA rules.

After that, he can't talk about the kid to the media until he arrives on campus and actually attends a class -- so at Duke, that's usually early in July.
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Not an issue. Roy just likes to talk about Roy.

Personal opinion. the best freshmen point guards in Duke history (based entirely on freshman performance):

1. Tyus Jones, 2015
    2. Jason Williams, 2000
    3. Bobby Hurley 1990
    4. Johnny Dawkins, 1983
    5. Tommy Amaker, 1984
    6. Jeff Capel, 1994
    7. Chris Duhon, 2001
    8. Greg Paulus, 2006

Note: Kyrie Irving was on pace to be No. 1, but I agree that 11 games (eight as a starter, three as a sub) aren't quite enough. Duhon was tough to slot because he only started 10 games, but he was a top sub for the other 28. I once asked Jeff Capel who was the point guard in 1994 -- him or Collins? He answered with one word: Grant! Grant did lead that team in assists, but Capel led the guards in assists by a wide margin and usually guarded the opposing point guard.

From my limited exposure to Mr. Duval, I would guess that if he comes and has a healthy year, he'll slot in that list just before or behind Tommy Amaker. Both great distributors with a lot of defensive potential, but neither is much of a shooter (Amaker didn't hit double figures until his senior year).

I'd take Tommy Amaker II ...

I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but if it weren't for Matt Howard's big dumb foot, Kyrie Irving is by far number one on that list and Duke goes back to back, and I'm not sure they lose more than one or two games, if that. We were stupid good.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but if it weren't for Matt Howard's big dumb foot, Kyrie Irving is by far number one on that list and Duke goes back to back, and I'm not sure they lose more than one or two games, if that. We were stupid good.
    Maybe ... or maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I can see it now,,,that goon who set the pick on Singler the year before shoved his foot out there...reminds me of when I was playing in my 40's and this guy intentionally came up under me on a jump shot and I can down on his foot rolling my ankle for like the 10th and final time ending my recreational playing career, agree 100% w your conclusion...
    "I wanted it to be in my hands," Roach said of his game-sealing drive. "I wanted to take—I wanted that moment."

"Definitely was a bit personal for me," Roach added. "I mean, what happened last year, obviously, but just wanted to come out here and do anything I can to get this win, and we did that." Duke-Carolina, Cameron Indoor, Feb. 4th 2023

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Coach K has not said it publicly because you are not allowed to talk about recruits publicly. But Duval has said as much:

"I could tell that they were genuine and they meant what they were saying. It’s attractive when I have Coach K telling me that I’m gonna have the keys in my hand."

I believe in another interview he said that all of the schools recruiting him told him essentially the same thing, that it would be his team to run from day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Maybe ... or maybe not.
    Really awesome contribution!

Duval's gonna be good, hopefully this season will be fun.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I believe in another interview he said that all of the schools recruiting him told him essentially the same thing, that it would be his team to run from day 1.
    No disagreement there. Was just pointing out that Coach K had said it at all, not that he said it exclusively.

yes and no.

This is incorrect. After a prospect signs an LOI, there are no publicity restrictions.

Here is the relevant bylaw:

13.10.3 Publicity After Commitment. There are no restrictions on publicity related to a prospective student-athlete after he or she has signed a National Letter of Intent or the institution's written offer of admission and/or financial aid or after the institution has received his or her financial deposit in response to its offer of admission, except as set forth in Bylaw 13.10.1. For institutions that subscribe to the National Letter of Intent program, this provision does not apply to a prospective student-athlete who only signs an institution's written offer of admission and/or financial aid prior to the initial regular (as opposed to early) signing date of the National Letter of Intent program in the applicable sport. [D] (Revised: 1/14/97, 4/29/04 effective 8/1/04, 8/25/04, 1/19/13 effective 8/1/13, 4/28/16 effective 8/1/16)

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/bylawView?id=33816