Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    My own limited speculation of course, but no way I see Berry and Pinson staying in the draft. Pinson simply can't shoot, right now at least. Though he has some nice play-making abilities the NBA is a league that now places high value on perimeter guys that can shoot. Berry has no standout ability or characteristic for the next level that would intrigue scouts. Plus his release point on his shot is very low which wouldn't bode well for a 6-0 guard in the league. I fully expect for these guys to be back in light blue uniforms next season performing very well at the college level. Berry will certainly be the favorite for ACC POY and on the national POY list.

I thought Bradley was impressive as a reserve big for the two or three games that I saw. Of the three I see him being the most likely one to stay in the draft.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by Hauerwas View Post
    Here are the guards that currently rank higher than Jackson on the big boards:
    Ball
    Fultz
    Fox
    Josh Jackson (yes I know he's a SF but he could play the 2 in the League)
    French Dude
    Monk
    Dennis Smith
    Ferguson
    Mitchell
    Kennard
    Dozier
    Bacon

That's a crap ton of talent that Frank would have to leapfrog just to get in the first round. I don't see it happening. And of course, not every team will need or want a guard at their spot in the draft. I guess I'm just trying to convince myself that he will be back. Here's hoping.
    Yea but the Utah connection is simply too strong to ignore. Teams with the 30th pick don't expect to get a instant star and Utah could easily rationalize taking Jackson over Kennard on down the list. With the way this has played out, I suspect he's gone.

The Charlotte Hornets/Bobcats/Hornets have done this routinely with far less talented prospects from the Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Whatever. But one thing I will say is the 2007 team (8-8 ACC; 22-11 overall) played out nothing like the 2012 team (13-3 ACC; 27-7 overall). Only similarity was the 1st round NCAAT exit.
    Hey, you are the one who has a theory with no rationale behind it other than three very loosely similar (to be generous) data points. Not sure why the indignant response. Come up with a real theory as to WHY you think this shaky at best pattern is not coincidence/contrived, and then we can talk.

As for 2007, you're absolutely right. It was not like 2012. But it was much more like 1996 and 2016 than 1995 or 1983. Heck, it's still closer to 2012 than it is to either 1995 or 1983. So if we remove 2007 (as we should), we no longer have a trend here. We have just the two losing seasons: one in the first year of Coach K's own recruits, and one in which Coach K missed over half the season. And then we have a third data point (2007) that doesn't really look anything like the other two. So I don't see any reason to use those three years as a point of reference for 2019.

You call people out (rightly so) when they present poorly-supported theories/arguments that don't appear to have merit. This is an example of a poorly-supported theory that doesn't appear to have much merit.
    Last edited by CDu; 04-24-2017 at 05:09 PM.

I can hardly believe that Quinn Snyder is 50.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Yea but the Utah connection is simply too strong to ignore. Teams with the 30th pick don't expect to get a instant star and Utah could easily rationalize taking Jackson over Kennard on down the list. With the way this has played out, I suspect he's gone.

The Charlotte Hornets/Bobcats/Hornets have done this routinely with far less talented prospects from the Hill.
    Yes- this could be the difference. He is definitely worth the 30th pick for the hometown Jazz. They can wait for him to develop a year in the D league and he gets guaranteed dollars. He may be two years away but he will be working full time on his game if he leaves. I would think Mr Jackson is gone. Duke should plan with that assumption.

I think it might have to do with Coach K's recruiting cycles. Back in the day, whenever he had a lot of underclassmen, he didn't recruit as many freshmen, leading to thin rosters if anything unexpected happened. He was able to "patch" the issue for a few years, but it kept spiraling until at some point (12 years, according to this theory), he was left with an "unpatchable" roster filled with good-but-not-otherworldly underclassmen and very few veterans with significant playing experience. This time, the same thing is happening, not because he's recruiting fewer guys, but because more guys are leaving early.
    Why hasn't the 12 year cycle been affected by OADs? Seems like having more guys leaving early would shorten cycle duration.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I can hardly believe that Quinn Snyder is 50.
    I wish I was.😂😎

What I'm hoping is that the 2018-19 team is good enough to make the NCAA tournament. Guess it depends on our recruits, but our veterans will probably have historically little experience going in to that season.

Not trying to be a downer, but look at this (admittedly few data point) 12-year pattern: 1983, 1995, 2007, 2019.
    Fair enough, though I don't believe the pattern is entirely coincidence. To Troublemaker's point, though, at least one freshman from each of those teams played in an NCAA championship game their senior year.
    Yeah, 2018-19 could certainly end up being a down year. I hope any fans that desire roster stabilization will be understanding that the first year could have lots of growing pains, and as you noted, the 1983 freshmen eventually became the core of the 1986 title game finalists, the 2007 freshmen eventually became the core of the 2010 champs, etc. If indeed we manage to nab a few quality 3-4 year players in 2018.

Once the staff has wrapped up 2017 recruiting, I do think they will pursue 1 or 2 high-level transfers that will sit out a year, learn Duke's system, and then compete for a starting job in 2018-19. That would help. Also, with the recent good vibes regarding Duval and Knox, a part of me thinks our staff can recruit their way out of any bad situation at this point. Let's say, for example, there are only 4 players in the 2018 recruiting class that are good enough to be a true OAD prospect. Could Duke end up signing half of them, even with recruiting giants Kentucky, Arizona, Kansas, UCLA, Michigan St, etc are all trying for the same 4 as well? Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Yes- this could be the difference. He is definitely worth the 30th pick for the hometown Jazz. They can wait for him to develop a year in the D league and he gets guaranteed dollars. He may be two years away but he will be working full time on his game if he leaves. I would think Mr Jackson is gone. Duke should plan with that assumption.
    that worked out real well — uh, no — for Tyus Jones & the Timberwolves
    Last edited by WiJoe; 04-24-2017 at 07:25 PM.

I like this kid and hope he stays. I think that he, Duvall (if Duke gets him), and Allen could be the best guard combination in college basketball. Duvall and Fraago.nk could effectively share the point as Tyus and Quinn did two years

From my perspective, and I'm a "glass is half empty" guy, I worry that Frank leaves and Duvall does not choose Duke. I don't think that would bode well for next year's team.

I'll be selfish and ask Frank to please come back.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    and Fraago.nk...
    Well, there have been some creative misspellings of players' names here before, but...

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Well, there have been some creative misspellings of players' names here before, but...
    After looking at this, I can't explain it. End of a long day, lack of manual dexterity on the keyboard, perhaps a beer or two . . .

Duvall and Fraago.nk could effectively share the point as Tyus and Quinn did two years
    Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    After looking at this, I can't explain it. End of a long day, lack of manual dexterity on the keyboard, perhaps a beer or two . . .
    If he leaves I think quite a few of us will be referring to him as Fraago.nk
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    If he leaves I think quite a few of us will be referring to him as Fraago.nk
    Farnk as I often mis-typed in DBR Chat.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Farfegnugen.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Fleeingfarnk Jumpinackson?

Quote Originally Posted by Hauerwas View Post
    Here are the guards that currently rank higher than Jackson on the big boards:
    Ball
    Fultz
    Fox
    Josh Jackson (yes I know he's a SF but he could play the 2 in the League)
    French Dude
    Monk
    Dennis Smith
    Ferguson
    Mitchell
    Kennard
    Dozier
    Bacon

That's a crap ton of talent that Frank would have to leapfrog just to get in the first round. I don't see it happening. And of course, not every team will need or want a guard at their spot in the draft. I guess I'm just trying to convince myself that he will be back. Here's hoping.
    Does a crap ton weigh more than A ton of feathers? Also, does a crap ton float?
    Last edited by Fish80; 04-24-2017 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Typo Jones

I like this kid and hope he stays. I think that he, Duvall (if Duke gets him), and Allen could be the best guard combination in college basketball. Duvall and Fraago.nk could effectively share the point as Tyus and Quinn did two years

From my perspective, and I'm a "glass is half empty" guy, I worry that Frank leaves and Duvall does not choose Duke. I don't think that would bode well for next year's team.

I'll be selfish and ask Frank to please come back.
    Okay, somebody help me out here. What the heck is Fargo North Dakota got to do with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Honest question here; not trying to be a smart aleck, but do you have a link for this? Because as I understand it, of those 3 uncCheat kids, only one of them (Bradley) actually declared for the draft, and he is expected to stay in, so not testing the waters. I'm not saying you are wrong, just furthering my point that it is difficult to know for sure given how the "early entry list" is not reported on very well.

That's why I wish the NBA would publish an official list. How hard can it be to put that info out there officially?
    The NBA (through Turner, which is the one that actually administers the league website) will release a list. They never do so the day after the deadline so I do not expect it until tomorrow. If I see it first, I will link it in the early entry thread. I assume that they have to actually go through and validate the list and make sure everything is accurate, but given our need for instant information, I suppose we are not willing to wait until even the start of the next business day before demanding it. If you are not an actual basketball player who also fits the early declaration criteria, the NBA will not include you on the list and will send you a form letter rejecting your declaration as some curious fans have found out over the years. If you are a recognized basketball player, but nowhere near NBA level, they will still accept your declaration.

That said, the official list does not list players who hire agents, so you have to piece that together from other sources.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    The NBA (through Turner, which is the one that actually administers the league website) will release a list. They never do so the day after the deadline so I do not expect it until tomorrow. If I see it first, I will link it in the early entry thread. I assume that they have to actually go through and validate the list and make sure everything is accurate, but given our need for instant information, I suppose we are not willing to wait until even the start of the next business day before demanding it. If you are not an actual basketball player who also fits the early declaration criteria, the NBA will not include you on the list and will send you a form letter rejecting your declaration as some curious fans have found out over the years. If you are a recognized basketball player, but nowhere near NBA level, they will still accept your declaration.

That said, the official list does not list players who hire agents, so you have to piece that together from other sources.
    Thanks A-Dub111! As always you are the resident guru on all things such as the early entry list. Yeah, I know, I have no patience... In my defense, it does seem the powers that be could keep a running list leading up to the deadline to declare and the vet the names on the fly...Just a thought.

Thanks for the info!!