View Poll Results: What will be the top 5 films at the boxoffice this summer?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (May 5)

53 98.15%
  • Alien Covenant (May 19)

1 1.85%
  • Baywatch (May 26)

5 9.26%
  • Pirates of the Carib 5 (May 26)

8 14.81%
  • Wonder Woman (June 2)

34 62.96%
  • Captain Underpants (June 2)

3 5.56%
  • The Mummy (June 9)

2 3.70%
  • Cars 3 (June 16)

21 38.89%
  • Transformers: Last Knight (June 23)

18 33.33%
  • Despicable Me 3 (June 30)

48 88.89%
  • Spider-man Homecoming (July 7)

44 81.48%
  • War of the Planet of the Apes (July 14)

6 11.11%
  • Dunkirk (July 21)

13 24.07%
  • The Dark Tower (August 4)

2 3.70%
  • Field (all other films)

8 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    How about those folks at Disney. They take animated classics and remake them with live actors and make HUGE bank. Who knew? I fully expect a live-action Frozen in the next few years.

-Jason "I look forward to seeing Adele Dazeem perform in real life " Evans
    I may have sold BATB. Looks like it should get past Finding Dory's $486 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Actually, the script NEVER mentioned classrooms.
    Core rule of screenwriting: avoid "un-filmables". I can think of no more perfect description of a UNC athlete in class.

With less than a week left in voting, here is how the poll stands:

Guardians - 96.77% (whoever voted against this flick, please stand up and explain yourself)
    Despicable 3 - 83.87%
    Spidey Homecoming - 74.19%
    Wonder Woman - 58.06%
    Cars 3 - 48.39%
    Dunkirk - 29.03%
    Transformers: Knight - 29.03%
    Pirates 5 - 22.58%
    Field - 16.13%
    Capt. Underpants - 9.68%
    War Apes - 6.45%
    Mummy - 6.45%
    Baywatch - 3.23%
    Dark Tower - 3.23%
    Alien Covenant - 0.00%

Considering there has never been a Transformers movie to make less than $245 million, I'm surprised at the lack of support there. It is not like the franchise has been on mothballs for a while. The last Transformers film came out in 2014. I suppose the fact that there hasn't been a Pirates movie since 2011 makes people hesitant to support that franchise, but even the roundly disliked On Stranger Tides made $240 million. Again, surprised that film is not getting more votes.

And can someone explain how War for the Planet of the Apes is only at 6%? The first film in the reboot franchise made $176 million, the second made $208 million, and both those movies got great reviews which should give the franchise momentum. The 2nd director (Matt Reeves) is back again and he has a fabulous track record. Only 6% of us think that movie is going to make $225+ million? I dunno...

I'm telling you right now that I am not voting for Cars 3 (well, unless I hear some good buzz in the next week). The first 2 were something close to awful (especially the 2nd one) and the trailers for this one have been bad so far. Cars 2 only made $191 mil at the boxoffice and I can't fathom how this one could do better unless it gets great word of mouth. I think half of y'all are gonna be eliminated right out of the gate with that pick.

-Jason "worth noting, I have never, never gone 5-for-5, so you are probably safe not listening to my advice at all" Evans

Re: Transformers:
    Box office decline of the last three movies. $400 -> $350 -> $250 and the last movie sucked. I look at the other movies and think it's the short end of the stick. Would I rather see Dunkirk or Trans5? Wonder Woman or Trans5? DM3 or Trans5? Covenant or Trans5? It's just not looking good for Trans5 domestically. Now if this were a contest for world wide take, I'd be all over that movie as it will likely pass the $1 billion mark...but domestically? not expecting much.

It's the exact same argument with Pirates. Domestic box office is dwindling and I don't think the excitement is there except for hardcore fans.

For Plant of the Apes all of the movies have been within 10% of $200 million. I'm not sure this is going to be the breakout.

With regards to Cars 3, I'm sure a lot are banking on Pixar to work it out. Besides, for the younger crew DM3 and Cars3 are really the only movies that are kid friendly this summer.

More like: Jason "We have now entered the sandbagging phase of the contest" Evans, amirite?

How about those folks at Disney. They take animated classics and remake them with live actors and make HUGE bank. Who knew? I fully expect a live-action Frozen in the next few years.
    Disney just announced a live action Lion King will be released in June of 2019. John Favreau's success with his live action The Jungle Book makes him a no-brainer to direct this flick.

Disney is making a Frozen 2. It will hit theaters for Thanksgiving of 2019.

The studio also announced that Star Wars 9 will debut on May 24, 2019. I'm extremely disappointed they are not releasing it on May the 4th. I guess that problem with that is the release of Avengers 4 which is coming out on May 2nd that year. Disney is gonna own Summer of 2019 in a really big way!

-Jason "It looks like Warner/DC will have a stand-alone Batman film with Ben Affleck in the summer of 2019 also... 2 years away but I think I already know 4 of the films I will be voting for that summer" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Guardians - 96.77% (whoever voted against this flick, please stand up and explain yourself)
    He did.

Quote Originally Posted by chriso View Post
    Hahaha. Totally forgot about Guardians. Top 5 for sure.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Considering there has never been a Transformers movie to make less than $245 million, I'm surprised at the lack of support there. It is not like the franchise has been on mothballs for a while. The last Transformers film came out in 2014. I suppose the fact that there hasn't been a Pirates movie since 2011 makes people hesitant to support that franchise, but even the roundly disliked On Stranger Tides made $240 million. Again, surprised that film is not getting more votes.

And can someone explain how War for the Planet of the Apes is only at 6%? The first film in the reboot franchise made $176 million, the second made $208 million, and both those movies got great reviews which should give the franchise momentum. The 2nd director (Matt Reeves) is back again and he has a fabulous track record. Only 6% of us think that movie is going to make $225+ million? I dunno...

I'm telling you right now that I am not voting for Cars 3 (well, unless I hear some good buzz in the next week). The first 2 were something close to awful (especially the 2nd one) and the trailers for this one have been bad so far. Cars 2 only made $191 mil at the boxoffice and I can't fathom how this one could do better unless it gets great word of mouth. I think half of ya'll are gonna be eliminated right out of the gate with that pick.

-Jason "worth noting, I have never, never gone 5-for-5, so you are probably safe not listening to my advice at all" Evans
    I'll bite.
    I'll start with Pirates.
    Sandwiched in between weekends of Alien and Wonder Woman. Enough said. (And a reason that WW isn't on my list.)
    Apes suffers the same, stuck between a rock and an even harder place. (Spider-Man/Dunkirk)
    Cars 3 could very well keep me at 3-5 this Summer, since I picked it and the field (but in reality "Valerian".) But...it's Pixar, it's been a while since Mater and Lightning lit up the screen, and kids don't care how crappy it is.

As far as Transformers goes...it is stuck between Pixar and DM3. That might be an even harder rock than Apes has to sit against.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Disney just announced a live action Lion King will be released in June of 2019. John Favreau's success with his live action The Jungle Book makes him a no-brainer to direct this flick.

Production started as a crossover, live-action Lion King meets Bambi, ... didn't last long

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    He did.
    Quote Originally Posted by chriso View Post
    Hahaha. Totally forgot about Guardians. Top 5 for sure.
    Actually, chriso hasn't voted in the poll at all yet, and is free to pick Guardians.

bluedag voted for Dunkirk and nothing else, and has not posted to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    bluedag voted for Dunkirk and nothing else
    Well, it is not like the opening freaking sentence of the entire thread warns against that. Oh, wait...

You know how it works... you vote for the 5 (not 4, not 6) movies in the poll that you think will make the most money at the domestic boxoffice this summer.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Cool Voted

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Actually, chriso hasn't voted in the poll at all yet, and is free to pick Guardians.

bluedag voted for Dunkirk and nothing else, and has not posted to this thread.
    OK I voted lol. I would have voted for Alien Covenant 5 times but it wouldn't let me. One movie that's getting serious buzz is Baby Driver, directed by Edgar Wright of Sean of the Dead fame. Looks terrific. June 28th.

Well, it is not like the opening freaking sentence of the entire thread warns against that. Oh, wait...
    First dost thou count to 3. Thou shalt not count to 4. Neither count thou 2, unless then proceeding directly to 3. 5 is right out!

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    First dost thou count to 3. Thou shalt not count to 4. Neither count thou 2, unless then proceeding directly to 3. 5 is right out!
    That got me curious. What's the highest grossing Monty Python movie? As many times as The Holy Grail is referenced, it had to make a bajillion dollars, right?
    5 million.
    Life of Brian pulled in 20, so it wins.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/fr...on#tab=summary

Cool :)

That got me curious. What's the highest grossing Monty Python movie? As many times as The Holy Grail is referenced, it had to make a bajillion dollars, right?
    5 million.

Ni!

5 million.

Makes a kind of sense. Grail gets quoted more often, but the Life of Brian is a better movie.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Makes a kind of sense. Grail gets quoted more often, but the Life of Brian is a better movie.
    I dunno... I know many think Life of Brian is the greatest, but I still prefer Grail. I think the WTF alien scene just really detracts from Brian. It really ruins the movie for me. The moment the aliens showed up in Life of Brian, it became a worse movie than Grail.

As for boxoffice totals, because the film was released so long ago (1975) I am betting there are very few of us who saw it in theaters. My first exposure to it was on TV, probably on PBS. I saw it on VHS tape many times as well and, of course, I now own it on DVD. I am sure it has been incredibly lucrative over the years for the Python guys and it probably still generates meaningful income every year as I can't imagine any home video collection not including this classic.

-Jason "I just realized, I have seen it in a theater... I saw it at a midnight movie back in the mid-1980s" Evans

The full Cars 2 trailer is out (there was a teaser that just showed a horrific accident for Lightning McQueen) and it is about as uninspiring and obvious as you can imagine. This movie is guaranteed to be awful, I'm telling you. What is the all-time low for Pixar Rotten Tomatoes score? Cause this sucker is going to threaten it. The only positive reviews will be folks who are afraid to dump on Pixar and Disney.

--Jason "did that make any of you want to see the film even a little tiny bit? Ugh..." Evans

I want to see Cars 3, at least is has none of the international spy bull poop from Cars 2

Predication: McQueen wins the race because Storm is focused only on going real fast and gets trickerated.

I don't think we should start underestimating Pixar. Before I saw Toy Story 3, I considered it too late and unnecessary, but it was ultimately a film worth making. (I did not love it because I am wise to their primary directive of making adults cry.) Now, we have a Cars 3 which is too late and unnecessary, and yet...

The teaser and the trailer pretty clearly tell us one thing: this is not like Cars 2. We are going back to basics. We will remind you of Hudson Hornet. We will keep Mater to a minimum. We are not making the movie to sell merchandise, though you may notice our Disney Stores are suddenly well stocked with Cars 3 stuff.

How you feel about Cars 3 should reflect how you felt about the first one. I thought it was fine but not that memorable. That said, I'm low on excitement and often in the minority that way.