View Poll Results: What will be the top 5 films at the boxoffice this summer?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (May 5)

53 98.15%
  • Alien Covenant (May 19)

1 1.85%
  • Baywatch (May 26)

5 9.26%
  • Pirates of the Carib 5 (May 26)

8 14.81%
  • Wonder Woman (June 2)

34 62.96%
  • Captain Underpants (June 2)

3 5.56%
  • The Mummy (June 9)

2 3.70%
  • Cars 3 (June 16)

21 38.89%
  • Transformers: Last Knight (June 23)

18 33.33%
  • Despicable Me 3 (June 30)

48 88.89%
  • Spider-man Homecoming (July 7)

44 81.48%
  • War of the Planet of the Apes (July 14)

6 11.11%
  • Dunkirk (July 21)

13 24.07%
  • The Dark Tower (August 4)

2 3.70%
  • Field (all other films)

8 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526
    Raise your hand if you thought "It" would do better than both "Dunkirk" and "Pirates"....in its first freaking 10 days!!!!

Going to end up finishing over $300M. And it cost $35 M to make. Nuts.

Oh and the rumor now is that for the sequel they hope to go all out with top actors playing the roles of the adults. Hello Jessica Chastain, Denzel, Chris Pratt and others. Why not? The sequel is going to make $200M as well. In 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    Raise your hand if you thought "It" would do better than both "Dunkirk" and "Pirates"...in its first freaking 10 days!!!!

Going to end up finishing over $300M. And it cost $35 M to make. Nuts.

Oh and the rumor now is that for the sequel they hope to go all out with top actors playing the roles of the adults. Hello Jessica Chastain, Denzel, Chris Pratt and others. Why not? The sequel is going to make $200M as well. In 2 weeks.
    I enjoyed "It". I saw it opening day and the theater was packed. Was good; perhaps not great, but different enough from the miniseries and some of the changes they made from the book made sense to me. Didn't surprise me much but I am very familiar with the source material. Ending was a bit of a letdown, but overall a very solid and well made film. The kids were amazing; especially Bill and Beverly and Ritchie. The guy playing Pennywise did a super job. There is only one Tim Curry, but this clown was scarier to me. "It" is one of my favorite books, my favorite King book. Looking forward to the sequel.
    Last edited by chriso; 09-17-2017 at 12:11 PM.

Is it just me, or were there TONS of parallels between IT and Stranger Things?

I'm a HUGE Stephen King fan. And IT was his pinnacle. Enjoyed it immensely. And it scared the bejeesus out of me. Thought this movie version was better than the TV version. By a lot. And maybe it's just me, but I never really liked Curry as Pennywise. But this guy was great.

For the second part I REALLY hope they get some great actors. TV version had John Ritter and JohnBoy and they did fine. But to me the appeal of the book was the idea of having your past come back to haunt you. To know that you have to face something that was so awful it nearly killed you. Only know, as an adult, you realize how TRULY lucky you were and how terrifying IT really is. And you have to risk everything to go back. It's compelling. It's entirely believable that one (or more) would get the phone call, hang up, think for a long while and then tell the person that you love, "I think I'm going to take a bath."

And a solid cast could make it amazing.

Glad this version is doing so well. Never would have pegged it at $300M. Ever.

Does this redeem Stephen King after the Dark Tower fiasco?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Does this redeem Stephen King after the Dark Tower fiasco?
    What makes you think Stephen King had even a passing role in either the success or failure of various movie adaptations of his books?

Between It, Green Mile, The Shining, Shawshank, Stand By Me, Carrie, The Dead Zone, and Misery there is a heck of a lot of evidence that King stories make great movies. Between Dark Tower, Pet Sematary, Silver Bullet, Maximum Overdrive, The Mangler, Graveyard Shift, Cat's Eye, Needful Things, and Cell there is also a heck of a lot of evidence that King stories make awful movies.

-Jason "in total, I think there is more good than bad here... but some of the bad are really awful" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    What makes you think Stephen King had even a passing role in either the success or failure of various movie adaptations of his books?

Between It, Green Mile, The Shining, Shawshank, Stand By Me, Carrie, The Dead Zone, and Misery there is a heck of a lot of evidence that King stories make great movies. Between Dark Tower, Pet Sematary, Silver Bullet, Maximum Overdrive, The Mangler, Graveyard Shift, Cat's Eye, Needful Things, and Cell there is also a heck of a lot of evidence that King stories make awful movies.

-Jason "in total, I think there is more good than bad here... but some of the bad are really awful" Evans
    It may only be a passing role, but I would assume at some point he licenses the right to have his story adapted into film. So consciously or unconsciously he is impacting the success of the project by who he licenses those rights to.

So the next story is some evil fostered by a famous writer's horrible efforts materializes to haunt that author, only to be confronted by a beneficent apparition manifested from the antagonists of the authors greater efforts?

IT is Shining By Me in the Dead Zone to Shawshank the Mangler's Cat's Eye in the Cell in the Sementary during the Graveyard Shift.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    So since the demonic clown sucked up tons of money, and it is still Summer, that means I went 4 for 5, right?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Okay, how do I do the spoiler alert button? I searched all over the web, and none of the techniques I found seem to work here. Can't we have a button on here for it?

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Okay, how do I do the spoiler alert button? I searched all over the web, and none of the techniques I found seem to work here. Can't we have a button on here for it?
    It's HTML tags. So [ Spoiler ] [ /Spoiler ], but without the spaces before or after the word spoiler.

Thanks. I tried that but it didn't work. Oh wait, I didn't capitalize. I'll try again. Thanks.

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Thanks. I tried that but it didn't work. Oh wait, I didn't capitalize. I'll try again. Thanks.

Spoiler!
    You also have to say what the spoiler is for (or else people don't know if they want to click on it).

That was an "IT spoiler" for example.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    You also have to say what the spoiler is for (or else people don't know if they want to click on it).

That was an "IT spoiler" for example.
    Oh, shoot, my bad. I did originally, but then deleted my post because I couldn't get the spoiler tag to work. Then I got all worked up about getting the tag to work and forgot to mention that. Yes, it was absolutely an IT spoiler. Or more of a guess about the sequel that could in a minor way give something away about the movie that's already out. my bad.

Some time tomorrow or Friday, It will become the top grossing horror film of all time, passing 1973’s The Exorcist, which made $232.9 mil. Now, once you adjust for inflation, the Exorcist blows It away (according to Boxoffice Mojo, the inflation adjustment for Exorcist puts it at $983 million), but for It to move into first place for horror films... well, that is quite impressive.

Of course, one could quibble and say that The Sixth Sense ($293.5m), Jaws ($260m), or I Am Legend ($256.4m) are horror movies, as each of them has made more than It and Exorcist, but I'm not sure any of those really qualify as true horror films like Exorcist and It. I'm not sure it matters anyway as It has a decent chance to eventually pass both Jaws and Legend. I don't think it will get to The Sixth Sense though.

-Jason "do ya'll consider 6th Sense to be a horror film? I think it is a supernatural mystery/drama, but not a horror flick" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I don't think I'd call I am Legend or Sixth Sense horror films.

I probably would if I use my old outdated "where would I put this in a video store," standard, though you'd probably have a pretty good case for Sixth Sense as a thriller. I think most old video stores tended to file anything supernatural under horror, though whether they should have is another question.

But nowadays, where video shelf space isn't an issue, I'd imagine they'd get new categories. Actually, that makes me wonder where Netflix or Amazon lists those movies.

-Jason "do ya'll consider 6th Sense to be a horror film? I think it is a supernatural mystery/drama, but not a horror flick" Evans
    A horror flick? You mean like with Jane Fonda?