View Poll Results: What will be the top 5 films at the boxoffice this summer?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (May 5)

53 98.15%
  • Alien Covenant (May 19)

1 1.85%
  • Baywatch (May 26)

5 9.26%
  • Pirates of the Carib 5 (May 26)

8 14.81%
  • Wonder Woman (June 2)

34 62.96%
  • Captain Underpants (June 2)

3 5.56%
  • The Mummy (June 9)

2 3.70%
  • Cars 3 (June 16)

21 38.89%
  • Transformers: Last Knight (June 23)

18 33.33%
  • Despicable Me 3 (June 30)

48 88.89%
  • Spider-man Homecoming (July 7)

44 81.48%
  • War of the Planet of the Apes (July 14)

6 11.11%
  • Dunkirk (July 21)

13 24.07%
  • The Dark Tower (August 4)

2 3.70%
  • Field (all other films)

8 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    Anyone who has lived in or is familiar with downtown Atlanta may enjoy this

Video Of The Fantastic Car Chase Scene In 'Baby Driver,' Mapped

http://digg.com/video/baby-driver-car-chase-mapped
    The part we saw being filmed was obviously not part of that chase scene. We were walking west on Baker when we were stopped by the filming crew. Jamie Foxx and co. came north on Williams and turned east on Baker right where we were standing. Foxx was in the front passenger seat, and like I mentioned before, the car was being carried on a flatbed truck.

Only two people voted for it but it looks like the Dark Tower is a stinker. Currently it sits at 20% on RT and the reviews are pretty brutal. I have never read the books but from what I know about them it seemed to me this movie was doomed to fail. It's just too long to pack into one movie. Then when I heard the movie was 95 minutes and the embargo on reviews was so late in the game you had to know something was up.

As for the contest, Dunkirk is up to $109 million through 12 days which outpaces Apes 15 days to reach that number. I'm thinking Dunkirk is going to do it and if so I will be 5 for 5 for the first time ever in any of these contests. Yay!
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    As for the contest, Dunkirk is up to $109 million through 12 days which outpaces Apes 15 days to reach that number. I'm thinking Dunkirk is going to do it and if so I will be 5 for 5 for the first time ever in any of these contests. Yay!
    Yes, but it is still $12 million behind Pirate's pace through 13 days...

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Only two people voted for it but it looks like the Dark Tower is a stinker. Currently it sits at 20% on RT and the reviews are pretty brutal. I have never read the books but from what I know about them it seemed to me this movie was doomed to fail. It's just too long to pack into one movie. Then when I heard the movie was 95 minutes and the embargo on reviews was so late in the game you had to know something was up.
    I'm only on the fifth book right now, but I have no idea how they could turn this series into a movie. Especially just a single movie. The previews did not look promising.

With The Dark Tower opening today (to absolutely terrible reviews), Rotten Tomatoes ran a survey of all Stephen King film adaptations, based on the Tomatometer ratings.

I thought it was pretty interesting. The top 10:

1. Carrie (the original in 1976)
    2. Stand By Me
    3. Shawshank Redemption
    4. The Dead Zone
    5. Misery
    6. The Shining
    7. Delores Claiborne
    8. The Green Mile
    9. 1408
    10. The Mist

There are 35 films listed. It doesn't include TV ministries like The Stand, Salem's Lot or It (or the new TV version of The Mist).

It also doesn't include The Dark Tower, which, based on its current rating (18 percent) would rank 32nd of 36 films -- just ahead of Maximum Overdrive, Thinner, Graveyard Shift and the worst Stephen King film of all time -- Cell.

PS Personally, I think Christine and The Running Man are too low on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    With The Dark Tower opening today (to absolutely terrible reviews), Rotten Tomatoes ran a survey of all Stephen King film adaptations, based on the Tomatometer ratings.

2. Stand By Me
    3. Shawshank Redemption
    4. The Dead Zone
    5. Misery
    6. The Shining
    7. Delores Claiborne
    8. The Green Mile
    9. 1408
    10. The Mist

There are 35 films listed. It doesn't include TV ministries like The Stand, Salem's Lot or It (or the new TV version of The Mist).

It also doesn't include The Dark Tower, which, based on its current rating (18 percent) would rank 32nd of 36 films -- just ahead of Maximum Overdrive, Thinner, Graveyard Shift and the worst Stephen King film of all time -- Cell.

I would have figured Shawshank would be #1 - everyone I've ever talked with seems to unanimously agree it's the best SK movie. I have no problem with Stand By Me near the top. Carrie at #1 feels off - it seems like more of an iconic movie than a great movie.
    Let's go Duke!

No surprise, but The Dark Tower is bombing at the box office ... it's headed for a $19 million opening weekend:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/bo...ap-1202516733/

It's locked in a tight battle with Dunkirk as the No. 1 film of the weekend

First of all, I am out of the running. Apes is not going to make it to #5. In fact, it is probably going to be #7 at best.

The battle is between Dunkirk and Pirates. As others have noted, Pirates has been waaaay ahead on the "gross-to-date" comparisons. At the start of this week it was $14 mil ahead of Dunkirk's pace. But, the long legs of the better reviewed Dunkirk are starting to show up. In weekend #3, Pirates did $10.7 million. Dunkirk is going to do almost twice that much this weekend.

I think it will take until next weekend or a little after, but Dunkirk should soon pull ahead of Pirates on the "gross-to-date" comps. At that point, it will merely be a matter of seeing if the post-summer lull prevents Dunkirk from reaching the $173 mil or so it will need to claim spot #5. I doubt that happens.

-Jason "right now, I would say the percentage chances for #5 are Dunkirk 75%, Pirates 25%... and no one else has a chance" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I'm only on the fifth book right now, but I have no idea how they could turn this series into a movie. Especially just a single movie. The previews did not look promising.
    Someone on tv yesterday said it dealt with events "after" the books. Is that true? It would explain the one movie thing. Although I read somewhere else it was meant to be a series.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I would have figured Shawshank would be #1 - everyone I've ever talked with seems to unanimously agree it's the best SK movie. I have no problem with Stand By Me near the top. Carrie at #1 feels off - it seems like more of an iconic movie than a great movie.
    Agreed I'd put Shawshank one, The Shining two and Stand By Me three. Cell was mediocre but no way was it worse than Thinner, Graveyard Shift, Sleepwalkers, and the one with the killer laundry machine.

It just got interesting!

Dunkirk in it's 3rd week ADDED 266 movie theaters and significantly slowed it's audience lost (from 47% the second week to only 34% the third week). The third week pulled in $17.6 million for a total of $133 million.
    While this is still behind Pirates, it is within spitting distance...now only $2 million behind Pirates three week take of $135 million. The horrendous audience loss Pirates suffered is starting to show in the numbers (down 65% the second week and down 51% the third). There is a very good chance Dunkirk is going to come from behind and edge out Pirates. Some numbers for Pirates to keep an eye one. $150m after the fourth week and $160 million after the fifth.

War for the Planet of the Apes is out of the race, at only $130million and a week older than Dunkirk.

First, I concede. The Dark Tower was a longshot, but I was pretty set on that Top 4, and it seemed like a better bet for a unique 5-for-5 than picking Alien: Covenant or Captain Underpants. Fun fact: The Dark Tower had the smallest opening of those 3 films, and may not make the $75 million to eventually beat them. The remaining contestants, listed by 5th film:

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (Reddevil, tdrake51)
    Dunkirk (accfanfrom1970, DUKIECB, killerleft)
    Field (ryetales)

Same Results!

The 5 Biggest Films of the Summer (so far)

1. Wonder Woman $399,506,079
    2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 $388,390,435
    3. Spider-Man: Homecoming $294,907,776
    4. Despicable Me 3 $240,779,550
    5. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales $171,334,528

Here are the current standings:

5/5

1. (tie) Reddevil, tdrake51 are 5/5 (#1, #2, #3, #4, and #5 films)

4/5

3. (tie) 94duke, accfanfrom1970, bcsu, bjornolf, brevity, dball, DevilBen02, Doria, DU82, DUKIECB, El_Diablo, FerryFor50, IrishDevil, JasonEvans, jjredickrules, killerleft, luburch, Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15, NashvilleDevil, Native, Natty_B, Olympic Fan, PackMan97, PensDevil, Reisen, ryetales, trey are 4/5 (#1, #2, #3, and #4 films)
    30. (tie) murpho, YmoBeThere are 4/5 (#1, #2, #4, and #5 films)
    32. (tie) nmduke2001, Udaman are 4/5 (#2, #3, #4, and #5 films)

3/5

34. duke23 is 3/5 (#1, #2, and #4 films)
    35. (tie) CameronBornAndBred, cato, Chicago 1995, Dar95, davekay1971, Gooch, mph, Wander, wilson are 3/5 (#2, #3, and #4 films)
    44. JNort is 3/5 (#2, #3, and #5 films)
    45. Tommac is 3/5 (#2, #4, and #5 films)

2/5

46. aimo is 2/5 (#1 and #2 films)
    47. (tie) BLPOG, Blue in the Face, LasVegas are 2/5 (#2 and #3 films)
    50. (tie) BD80, chriso, Highlander, mkirsh are 2/5 (#2 and #4 films)

0/5

54. Bluedag ("Dunkirk: losing worldwide box office by whitewashing history, but totally worth it")

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Someone on tv yesterday said it dealt with events "after" the books. Is that true? It would explain the one movie thing. Although I read somewhere else it was meant to be a series.
    Yes, it was meant to be the next cycle (I think? Maybe?). Well, I'm certain at least that it's its own standalone thing, after the events of the series.

However, I've also seen it said that it is non canonical, but that the presumably series would be. Whether the series is going to go back and do the books or also take a post-series time frame, I'm not sure.

I didn't think the movie was so bad as all that, but I fully understand why fans of the series would have been disappointed. Not really sure, though, what would have been the better option for a single movie that was to have mass-market appeal. I think going for a preface to the world of the series makes a fair amount of sense. My general criticism is that the plot isn't terribly engaging. Thought the actors were fine with what they had, but would've preferred to have gotten more in depth with the two main characters' relationship to each other, especially for a mostly non-series reader.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

2. Stand By Me
    3. Shawshank Redemption
    4. The Dead Zone
    5. Misery
    6. The Shining
    7. Delores Claiborne
    8. The Green Mile
    9. 1408
    10. The Mist

Wait a second... No Pet Semetary? It's not a "great" movie, but was a good adaptation. Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Doria View Post
    Wait a second... No Pet Semetary? It's not a "great" movie, but was a good adaptation. Hmm...
    Pet Semetary comes in at No. 21. And the list was essentially rating the quality of the movies, not te gaithfulness of the adaptations. I should have included a link the whole list:

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...best-to-worst/

As of Wednesday, Dunkirk is tracking ahead of Pirates and should eventually finish at #5.

No one has really been talking about it here, but Girls Trip was actually outpacing Bridesmaids (which finished at $170 million) for its first three weekends. It fell behind the pace midweek though and looks unlikely to finish ahead of Pirates. Wherever it ends up, it will still be a huge success given its production budget of only $19 million.

It appears Dunkirk is going to do a around $10 mil this weekend and take its cumulative boxoffice to something like $152.5 million through 24 days of release. After 24 days of release, Pirates was at $150.5 million. So, Dunkirk is ahead of that pace... barely.

Perhaps more significantly, Dunkirk is the #2 movie at the boxoffice this weekend while Pirates was in 6th place in weekend #4. The fact that Dunkirk is still performing strongly will probably help it to hold onto theaters as new films arrive in coming weeks. Around weekend #4 Pirates began shedding theaters and lost boxoffice as a result. Pirates was in 3600 theaters in wekend #3 but was only in 1000 theaters 4 weeks later. Dunkirk has shown amazing theater staying power. It is in 3762 theaters today... that's actually about 40 more than its opening weekend.

Of course, working against Dunkirk is the fact that summer is running out. Movie attendance begins to plummet in mid-late August and really takes a dive in September. It is a pretty safe bet that the cumulative number of tickets sold over the next few weekends will be about half the number of tickets sold in a typical June or July weekend.

Bottom line, though the signs look decent for Dunkirk to catch Pirates, it is not a done deal. We will have to wait until at least Labor Day weekend to know for sure, I suspect.

-Jason "personally, I hope Dunkirk wins as it is a faaaar better film than Pirates... ugh" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "personally, I hope Dunkirk wins as it is a faaaar better film than Pirates... ugh" Evans
    May I nominate this as the understatement of the year...and I haven't seen either movie

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    May I nominate this as the understatement of the year...and I haven't seen either movie
    Well, Transformers isn't even the running, so there is still reason for faith in humanity!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Well, Transformers isn't even the running, so there is still reason for faith in humanity!
    Giant Robots with guns >> Johnny Depp every day of the week and twice on Sunday!

Heck, even Atlantic Rim by Asylum studios is better than Johnny Depp.