View Poll Results: What will be the top 5 films at the boxoffice this summer?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (May 5)

53 98.15%
  • Alien Covenant (May 19)

1 1.85%
  • Baywatch (May 26)

5 9.26%
  • Pirates of the Carib 5 (May 26)

8 14.81%
  • Wonder Woman (June 2)

34 62.96%
  • Captain Underpants (June 2)

3 5.56%
  • The Mummy (June 9)

2 3.70%
  • Cars 3 (June 16)

21 38.89%
  • Transformers: Last Knight (June 23)

18 33.33%
  • Despicable Me 3 (June 30)

48 88.89%
  • Spider-man Homecoming (July 7)

44 81.48%
  • War of the Planet of the Apes (July 14)

6 11.11%
  • Dunkirk (July 21)

13 24.07%
  • The Dark Tower (August 4)

2 3.70%
  • Field (all other films)

8 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    Early Dunkirk reviews are extremely positive. It's currently 97% on RT, but that's not the whole story. The average review is currently 9.1/10 (i.e., lots of 5/5, 4.5/5, 4/4 and 3.5/4 reviews). For reference, the average reviews for other summer movies over 90% on RT: Apes is 8.2/10, Baby Driver is 8.1/10, Spider-Man is 7.6, and Wonder Woman is 7.5.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Early Dunkirk reviews are extremely positive. It's currently 97% on RT, but that's not the whole story. The average review is currently 9.1/10 (i.e., lots of 5/5, 4.5/5, 4/4 and 3.5/4 reviews). For reference, the average reviews for other summer movies over 90% on RT: Apes is 8.2/10, Baby Driver is 8.1/10, Spider-Man is 7.6, and Wonder Woman is 7.5.
    Came here to post the same thing. Lots of extremely praiseful adjectives being thrown around like "stunning, masterpiece and Oscar worthy". Jon Favreau tweeted "believe the hype, I've seen Dunkirk and it's fantastic".

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Came here to post the same thing. Lots of extremely praiseful adjectives being thrown around like "stunning, masterpiece and Oscar worthy". Jon Favreau tweeted "believe the hype, I've seen Dunkirk and it's fantastic".
    This is one that I will not miss. My movie for the. 2nd half of the year.

Weekend estimates are in -- and our contest is going to be a close call.

Dunkirk is headed for a $51 million opening weekend ... higher than many expectations. but $6.5 million less than Apes' opener.

That's close enough that strong word-of-mouth may help give it legs. But over 50 percent of the audience are men over 30 ... those are rarely repeat viewers.

I don't know ... it's going to be fun to watch the box office race. Apes got to $100 million in its second weekend.

In other news, Girls Night Out did well ($28 million for the weekend) and is getting better audience ratings than Dunkirk. It won't be in our top five, but it's going to make a lot of cash for a film that cost just $20 million to make.

The exact opposite is Luc Bresson's Valerian, which is looking like one of he biggest financial flops in history -- cost to make, either $180 million or $205 million, depending on the source. First weekend's domestic gross -- under $17 million.

BTW: Wonder Woman just passed Guardians II as the biggest hit this summer ... second overall to Beauty and the Beast this year.

http://deadline.com/2017/07/dunkirk-...ng-1202132847/

If Dunkirk is at $50M...stick a fork in it. No way will it catch Apes. None. It's not a repeat kind of film. And it's not
    Anything that young people will flock to. It's Apes or Cars or something else at #5.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    If Dunkirk is at $50M...stick a fork in it. No way will it catch Apes. None. It's not a repeat kind of film. And it's not
    Anything that young people will flock to. It's Apes or Cars or something else at #5.
    I'm still holding out hope for Passengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    BTW: Wonder Woman just passed Guardians II as the biggest hit this summer ... second overall to Beauty and the Beast this year.

http://deadline.com/2017/07/dunkirk-...ng-1202132847/
    The theme of older adult males was cited as having the potential to drive Dunkirk into our Top 5 as that group is underrepresented in most polling/viewing considerations. I would point out that WW and BatB underscore that women may be the largest underserved demographic in Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I don't know ... it's going to be fun to watch the box office race. Apes got to $100 million in its second weekend.
    Actually, it didn't. The initial estimates are that Apes made $20.4 million for a 2 weekend total of $97.75 million. It was down almost 64% in its second weekend. That is a really bad sign. The key for a film like this (and Dunkirk) is strong word of mouth and long legs. It seems Apes (despite a strong A- Cinemascore) may not have great legs. After 2 weekends, Apes is $18 million behind the pace set by Pirates 5. I now think there is at least a decent chance that Pirates may end up as our #5 film. Cars 3 has no chance (it is $30 mil behind Pirates and made only $2 mil this weekend).

Obviously, we still need to see how Dunkirk holds up. I could say this is going to be a very close 3 horse race. I would rate the chances of each of these being the #5 film as:

Dunkirk - 35%
    Pirates 5 - 35%
    Apes 3 - 30%

-Jason "I know we have 5-for-5 winners if either Dunkirk or Apes (me!!) get there. Is there a 5-for-5 possibility if Pirates holds on?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "I know we have 5-for-5 winners if either Dunkirk or Apes (me!!) get there. Is there a 5-for-5 possibility if Pirates holds on?" Evans
    If only there were someone posting weekly updates that would tell us that...

At this point, I'm pretty sure we will have at least one 5-for-5 winner. Upthread I posted that 29 people have picked the current Top 4 films, and I broke them down by their 5th choice. Here, most likely, are the remaining 5-for-5 contenders:

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (Reddevil, tdrake51)
    War of the Planet of the Apes (Doria, JasonEvans, Olympic Fan)
    Dunkirk (accfanfrom1970, DUKIECB, killerleft)
    The Dark Tower (brevity)
    Field (ryetales)

This assumes that the Top 4 films stay in the Top 5. If either no film or one film passes Despicable Me 3, we will have a 5-for-5 winner. If two or more films pass it, we might not.

Results!

The 5 Biggest Films of the Summer (so far)

1. Wonder Woman $389,033,279
    2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 $387,252,502
    3. Spider-Man: Homecoming $251,711,581
    4. Despicable Me 3 $213,322,700
    5. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales $170,620,200

Here are the current standings:

5/5

1. (tie) Reddevil, tdrake51 are 5/5 (#1, #2, #3, #4, and #5 films)

4/5

3. (tie) 94duke, accfanfrom1970, bcsu, bjornolf, brevity, dball, DevilBen02, Doria, DU82, DUKIECB, El_Diablo, FerryFor50, IrishDevil, JasonEvans, jjredickrules, killerleft, luburch, Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15, NashvilleDevil, Native, Natty_B, Olympic Fan, PackMan97, PensDevil, Reisen, ryetales, trey are 4/5 (#1, #2, #3, and #4 films)
    30. (tie) murpho, YmoBeThere are 4/5 (#1, #2, #4, and #5 films)
    32. (tie) nmduke2001, Udaman are 4/5 (#2, #3, #4, and #5 films)

3/5

34. duke23 is 3/5 (#1, #2, and #4 films)
    35. (tie) CameronBornAndBred, cato, Chicago 1995, Dar95, davekay1971, Gooch, mph, Wander, wilson are 3/5 (#2, #3, and #4 films)
    44. JNort is 3/5 (#2, #3, and #5 films)
    45. Tommac is 3/5 (#2, #4, and #5 films)

2/5

46. aimo is 2/5 (#1 and #2 films)
    47. (tie) BLPOG, Blue in the Face, LasVegas are 2/5 (#2 and #3 films)
    50. (tie) BD80, chriso, Highlander, mkirsh are 2/5 (#2 and #4 films)

0/5

54. Bluedag ("Dunkirk has the best script of the year!" --James Cameron)

I'm holding out for The Hitman's Bodyguard...maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by ryetales View Post
    I'm holding out for The Hitman's Bodyguard...maybe?
    Your odds are slim and none, but here are the films that are likely to be the biggest "field" picks over the next month.
    • Emoji Movie - this film does have a chance to make $100+ million. But, making $170+ million seems like a huuuuge longshot.
    • Atomic Blonde - I think this is your biggest hope. We've seen female led movies do really well at the boxoffice this summer and this is being called "the female James Bond." I'd say it probably only makes about $80 million total, but there is a chance it really catches on and is a contender.
    • Hitman's Bodyguard - Right now, I'd bet this film makes around $60 million or so, but it has the star power to potentially make it a surprise hit.
    • Logan Lucky - This film has not gotten the kind of marketing push of the three above films, but it is not impossible to see it catching on with audiences. Lots of big names in this film with Channing Tatum, Adam Driver, Hillary Swank, Daniel Craig, Seth MacFarlane, and Sebastian Stan in a film from Steven Soderbergh. Plus, it takes place around a NASCAR race, and the NASCAR audience sometimes comes out of the hills to drive big boxoffice.

-Jason "please note that It (opens Sept 8th) will not be part of our contest. Opens too late" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

... the NASCAR audience sometimes comes out of the hills to drive big boxoffice. ...
    So big city PC doesn't apply to "hillbillies."

As I understand it, truth is no defense to prejudice, and further, NASCAR folk wouldn't want any defense anyway. Whatever, that there is just plain funny.

Your odds are slim and none, but here are the films that are likely to be the biggest "field" picks over the next month.
    • Emoji Movie - this film does have a chance to make $100+ million. But, making $170+ million seems like a huuuuge longshot.
    • Atomic Blonde - I think this is your biggest hope. We've seen female led movies do really well at the boxoffice this summer and this is being called "the female James Bond." I'd say it probably only makes about $80 million total, but there is a chance it really catches on and is a contender.
    • Hitman's Bodyguard - Right now, I'd bet this film makes around $60 million or so, but it has the star power to potentially make it a surprise hit.
    • Logan Lucky - This film has not gotten the kind of marketing push of the three above films, but it is not impossible to see it catching on with audiences. Lots of big names in this film with Channing Tatum, Adam Driver, Hillary Swank, Daniel Craig, Seth MacFarlane, and Sebastian Stan in a film from Steven Soderbergh. Plus, it takes place around a NASCAR race, and the NASCAR audience sometimes comes out of the hills to drive big boxoffice.

-Jason "please note that It (opens Sept 8th) will not be part of our contest. Opens too late" Evans
    When has that every happened?

The biggest box office hit I can find dealing with NASCAR is Talladega Nights, which grossed $148 million domestically. But I suspect that audience was more in response to comedian Will Ferrell than to NASCAR fans pouring out of the hills.

Next on the list is Days of Thunder with Tom Cruise ... a moderate hit with $82 million

Third is Herbie: Fully Loaded at $66 million

There are some older NASCAR Movies that made peanuts -- Burt Reynold's Stoker Ace ($13 million), The Last American Hero (less than $2 million). Red Line 7000 which made $2.5 million in 1968. Elvis had one of his worst turnouts for Speedway ($12 million in 1968). Probably the most successful such film was Six Pack, a 1982 Kenny Rogers film that has Kenny as a washed out NASCAR racer whose career takes off when he teams with a bunch of adorable kids (-- it made $20 million in 1982, pretty good for that era.

My point is that I don't see any evidence of NASCAR fans having a big impact on any film box office.

Here are the opening few minutes of The Emoji movie. It sets up the film's premise which is, ummm, really weird.
    Their marketing strategy is a bit weird (to say the least) as well.

The movie's target audience obviously won't get it, but it's still remarkably tone deaf to put a smiley face in that image.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Their marketing strategy is a bit weird (to say the least) as well.

The movie's target audience obviously won't get it, but it's still remarkably tone deaf to put a smiley face in that image.
    Holy smokes is that inappropriate!

What the hell were they thinking? What person that understands the reference would find that amusing, except as the biggest fail ever?

That HAS to be a disconnect or a mistake, an exhausted creative team having some laughs as they struggle to come up with something to promote a piece of crap movie, bouncing around the most inappropriate concepts they could imagine, and somehow this didn't get deleted and was accidentally forwarded through for publication.

Isn't the idea of the movie that you're stuck with your emoji-face, regardless of circumstance?

I can see how it works...

-jk

Anyone who has lived in or is familiar with downtown Atlanta may enjoy this

Video Of The Fantastic Car Chase Scene In 'Baby Driver,' Mapped

http://digg.com/video/baby-driver-car-chase-mapped

Dunkirk is slightly ahead of PotA's 10 day pace. Both are considerably behind PotC's 10 day pace.

I think our Top 5 may be set.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Dunkirk is slightly ahead of PotA's 10 day pace. Both are considerably behind PotC's 10 day pace.

I think our Top 5 may be set.
    Atomic Blonde opened with $18.5 million.

The Emoji movie almost took first place, pulling in $25.6 million. Neither one of those is going to break into our top 5.

It also looks like Spider Man is not being able keep up with WW and GG2...so it will be 3rd.

Same Results!

The 5 Biggest Films of the Summer (so far)

1. Wonder Woman $395,443,706
    2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 $387,780,407
    3. Spider-Man: Homecoming $278,356,805
    4. Despicable Me 3 $230,425,800
    5. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales $171,009,161

Here are the current standings:

5/5

1. (tie) Reddevil, tdrake51 are 5/5 (#1, #2, #3, #4, and #5 films)

4/5

3. (tie) 94duke, accfanfrom1970, bcsu, bjornolf, brevity, dball, DevilBen02, Doria, DU82, DUKIECB, El_Diablo, FerryFor50, IrishDevil, JasonEvans, jjredickrules, killerleft, luburch, Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15, NashvilleDevil, Native, Natty_B, Olympic Fan, PackMan97, PensDevil, Reisen, ryetales, trey are 4/5 (#1, #2, #3, and #4 films)
    30. (tie) murpho, YmoBeThere are 4/5 (#1, #2, #4, and #5 films)
    32. (tie) nmduke2001, Udaman are 4/5 (#2, #3, #4, and #5 films)

3/5

34. duke23 is 3/5 (#1, #2, and #4 films)
    35. (tie) CameronBornAndBred, cato, Chicago 1995, Dar95, davekay1971, Gooch, mph, Wander, wilson are 3/5 (#2, #3, and #4 films)
    44. JNort is 3/5 (#2, #3, and #5 films)
    45. Tommac is 3/5 (#2, #4, and #5 films)

2/5

46. aimo is 2/5 (#1 and #2 films)
    47. (tie) BLPOG, Blue in the Face, LasVegas are 2/5 (#2 and #3 films)
    50. (tie) BD80, chriso, Highlander, mkirsh are 2/5 (#2 and #4 films)

0/5

54. Bluedag ("Dunkirk is mrmphhhh mrmph mrmphhery." - Tom Hardy, in character)