View Poll Results: What will be the top 5 films at the boxoffice this summer?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (May 5)

53 98.15%
  • Alien Covenant (May 19)

1 1.85%
  • Baywatch (May 26)

5 9.26%
  • Pirates of the Carib 5 (May 26)

8 14.81%
  • Wonder Woman (June 2)

34 62.96%
  • Captain Underpants (June 2)

3 5.56%
  • The Mummy (June 9)

2 3.70%
  • Cars 3 (June 16)

21 38.89%
  • Transformers: Last Knight (June 23)

18 33.33%
  • Despicable Me 3 (June 30)

48 88.89%
  • Spider-man Homecoming (July 7)

44 81.48%
  • War of the Planet of the Apes (July 14)

6 11.11%
  • Dunkirk (July 21)

13 24.07%
  • The Dark Tower (August 4)

2 3.70%
  • Field (all other films)

8 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    I think WW, Spidey and Guardians are the top 3.

DM3 is looking really good for #4. It's already at $148m and tracking WELL ahead of Pirates to the tune of $33 million more over the first two weeks.

The only questions are:
    Apes or Dunkirk for #5?
    Can either (or both) pass DM3 for #4?
    Is there a sleeper out there that can get into the top 5?

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I think WW, Spidey and Guardians are the top 3.

DM3 is looking really good for #4. It's already at $148m and tracking WELL ahead of Pirates to the tune of $33 million more over the first two weeks.

The only questions are:
    Apes or Dunkirk for #5?
    Can either (or both) pass DM3 for #4?
    Is there a sleeper out there that can get into the top 5?
    Transformers! Don't forget Transformers!

Just Kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by 94duke View Post
    Transformers! Don't forget Transformers!

Just Kidding.
    I played the ever living stuff out of Transformers as a kid. The things they've done to my childhood memories is second only to the assault delivered by George Lucas via the Star Wars prequels. I don't think I kidshould ever meet Michael Bay in person, bad things would happen. Bad things.

*just joking, if I had the chance to meet Mr. Bay, I'd just ignore him.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    ... My money at this point would be on Apes getting it done and rounding out the top five.
    Damn dirty apes ...

Or is that not permissible to say in today's culture?

I think Dunkirk will be #5, not Apes... mostly because I picked Apes and I have never gone 5-for-5 so it seems silly to start now.

As for the "field" picks, there are several promising films still out there but all seem like a real longshot to reach $180 mil in boxoffice.

• Baby Driver - As others have noted, Baby Driver just isn't hitting big enough numbers to make it, though that film is going to make over $100 mil in boxoffice and will be a huge, huge moneymaker for the studio/backers.
    • Raunchy comedies - This is typically where we get the sleepers, but they are not connecting at all this summer. The House, Rough Night, Baywatch... it has been a comedy wasteland this summer.
    • Valerian - The marketing department at STX has been working overtime on this film. I see ads all the time. I suppose it has a chance, but the tracking seems to indicate it is going to open to something like $22-$25 million, which just isn't going to get it anywhere close to $180 million. I'm seeing a screening tomorrow, and though it is a good sign that they are screening it early, the early reviews are just ok, certainly not gushing. I'll be surprised if it even earns $100 mil domestically.
    • The Big Sick - Great reviews and the marketing has picked up lately, but it just doesn't seem to be the kind of film to draw younger audiences, which is a huge part of major boxoffice success.
    • Dark Tower - Though I have seen some ads, the marketing has been kinda quiet given a big cast and a high profile intellectual property. I'm sorta surprised there has not been more buzz, though it is still almost a month from opening. I think the marketing cannot decide if they should promote Stephen King's association, or run away from it due to audience expectations of horror.
    • Atomic Blonde - Like Valerian, I feel like I am seeing a ton of ads for what is expected to be a film that only opens with about $20-25 mil in boxoffice. There are some good reviews already out there, but not overwhelming. Charlize's star is certainly rising after Mad Max and Fate of the Furious. If this really is "the female James Bond" film, then could this be the summer of women with WW and Atomic Blonde stealing the action mantle from male films?
    • The Hitman's Bodyguard - Want a real sleeper? How about a film being released in mid-August? While the trailers for HB look really funny and action.packed and I think all of us are dying to see Ryan Reynolds and Sam Jackson in a film together (the two best foul-mouths in the movie business, I think), I am skeptical due to the poor release date (if it was really good, you can bet they would have found a way to get it in theaters in the heart of summer) and the fact that the writer and director are not known for high-quality stuff. If Adam McKay, Rob Cohen, Paul Feig, Tim Miller or someone like that was connected to this film, I'd be all over it. But, the only thing Patrick Hughes is known for is Expendables 3... uhhhh, pass.

-Jason "I can't think of anythink else that has a chance... and I'm not even going to discuss The Emoji Movie" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    ... -Jason "I can't think of anythink else that has a chance... and I'm not even going to discuss The Emoji Movie" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Well said

I was very torn between dunkirk, pirates, and cars. Guess I chose... poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I was very torn between dunkirk, pirates, and cars. Guess I chose... poorly.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

EXACTLY what I was going for!

I just couldn't pick Dunkirk. It looks so bad to me for some reason.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Just wanted to share a really cool clip on motion capture. Below is an interview Andy Serkis did on Colbert. About 2:00 into the clip, they show how Serkis' acting is turned into CGI Caesar in War for the Planet of the Apes. It is a remarkable demonstration of how much acting there is in some of these CGI characters. Really cool!

Cue this video in about 2:00 to get to the clip

-Jason "at the 3:45 mark, the clip also includes Serkis reading some of President Trump's tweets in the voice of Gollum, which is sorta funny (I'd find Gollum delivering one of Obama's speeches funny too). I hope folks won't find it too political" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Here are the opening few minutes of The Emoji movie. It sets up the film's premise which is, ummm, really weird. A world where you must be what your emoji dictates 24/7. Sounds awful.

Here are the opening few minutes of The Emoji movie. It sets up the film's premise which is, ummm, really weird. A world where you must be what your emoji dictates 24/7. Sounds awful.

Watching the clip was almost unbearable. I cannot imagine having to sit through an entire movie of this. Ugh.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Just wanted to share a really cool clip on motion capture. Below is an interview Andy Serkis did on Colbert. About 2:00 into the clip, they show how Serkis' acting is turned into CGI Caesar in War for the Planet of the Apes. It is a remarkable demonstration of how much acting there is in some of these CGI characters. Really cool!

Cue this video in about 2:00 to get to the clip

-Jason "at the 3:45 mark, the clip also includes Serkis reading some of President Trump's tweets in the voice of Gollum, which is sorta funny (I'd find Gollum delivering one of Obama's speeches funny too). I hope folks won't find it too political" Evans
    Political or not, that's just funny. The motion capture clip is evidence that the Academy needs to adjust their thinking on nominations. IMO, Serkis deserved a supporting actor nomination for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

I think every tweet should be read in that voice..it would make twitter almost bareable!

If you voted for "other" thinking Valerian had a chance, you lose.

The film is a visual feast, but the story is muddled and inconsistent to the point where I was utterly confused (not quite as bad as Transformers 5, but close). The characters often do or say one thing and then do or say the exact opposite only moments later. The film cannot decide if it is a comedy, adventure, romance, or mystery and veers wildly all over the place. I'm telling you, this thing makes Luc Besson's Lucy look positively coherent by comparison.

I know many folks are raving about the effects, but I was somewhat underwhelmed by them. Yes, they are gorgeous, but they are so otherworldly -- so bright and inventive -- that we have no reality in which to relate to them. Everything is so out there that nothing grounds it and the whole thing ends up looking like a cartoon. Compare that to the experience of watching the Apes films, where everything is grounded in a firm reality that we can relate to -- except for one fantastic element of talking and thinking apes. So, when the Apes grab a gun, it looks utterly real. In this film, when a strange outer space creature jumps in a strange outer space vehicle and zooms through a strange outer space environment, it all just runs together. I can't relate to any of it, so it means nothing to me other than being eye candy. The effects never serve the story, in fact they often distract from it.

The film also features some terrible acting. There's an Asian scientist-type guy in the military who has a decent sized role who never once emotes in any way. He stoically answers questions and makes statements. If you had told me he was a robot, I would have believed you. Valerian and Laurelie spend the whole movie playing a flirting game where they are sorta in love, or something like that, but they have zero chemistry and we never see any reason for them to be attracted to each other (other than the fact that they are both the same age, opposite sex, and are reasonably good looking). The kicker on all this is their final 2 conversations... in the second to last one, Laurelie scolds Valerian and explains there are fundamental things about him that she cannot love and she will not marry him. He then goes off and shoots a bunch of robots and saves the day (note: being a good space soldier does not solve the problems with his character that have been bugging her throughout the movie). Nothing about his character has changed but in the very next scene, she puts the ring on her finger and professes her love for him. Huh?!?! Like I said, the movie is wildly inconsistent.

I will admit that I never read and know almost nothing about the French book series that this film is based upon. Maybe there are story aspects or easter eggs I missed that would make all this make more sense... but I doubt it.

-Jason "if you are thinking about getting tickets to see this film, do yourself a favor and go see War for the Planet of the Apes or Baby Driver or The Big Sick instead... me and my critic friends cannot decide which of those 3 is the best film of summer" Evans

Finally got around to seeing Alien: Covenant. I enjoyed it much more than I was expecting to. It would have been nice if the rock in Alien/Aliens that was being investigated/colonized was Origae-6...but I guess that would have been too convienent.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Finally got around to seeing Alien: Covenant. I enjoyed it much more than I was expecting to. It would have been nice if the rock in Alien/Aliens that was being investigated/colonized was Origae-6...but I guess that would have been too convienent.
    I enjoyed it more than most as well. The movie had its own thread, which I was quite active on. If nothing else, just enjoy Fassbender's performance.

Saw a new clip from the Emoji Movie. Please don't ban me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmNMGuEm4C8