View Poll Results: What will be the top 5 films at the boxoffice this summer?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (May 5)

53 98.15%
  • Alien Covenant (May 19)

1 1.85%
  • Baywatch (May 26)

5 9.26%
  • Pirates of the Carib 5 (May 26)

8 14.81%
  • Wonder Woman (June 2)

34 62.96%
  • Captain Underpants (June 2)

3 5.56%
  • The Mummy (June 9)

2 3.70%
  • Cars 3 (June 16)

21 38.89%
  • Transformers: Last Knight (June 23)

18 33.33%
  • Despicable Me 3 (June 30)

48 88.89%
  • Spider-man Homecoming (July 7)

44 81.48%
  • War of the Planet of the Apes (July 14)

6 11.11%
  • Dunkirk (July 21)

13 24.07%
  • The Dark Tower (August 4)

2 3.70%
  • Field (all other films)

8 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reisen View Post
    So, Jason, does seeing it change your guess for Transformers 4's box office take?
    No, not really. I think it stalls out in the mid-upper 100-millions. I'd say it ends up making around $170 million and I do not think that will be enough to grab the #5 spot in our contest.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Anybody seen "Pain and Gain"? That's the one Michael Bay movie I like.
    Sorry, I saw Pain and Gain and thought it was one of the worst movies I've seen in the last 5 years. What a waste of talent. I thought the story was just stupid.
    Tom Mac

Wow...

So, on Monday my role is a film reviewer required me to endure the horrible Transformers film. Today I was given my reward for that good deed.

This afternoon, I saw a screening of War of the Planet of the Apes. Tonight I saw Baby Driver. I'm still collecting all my thoughts on both of them and will have more complete reviews later, but the bottom line is that they are easily the two best movies I've seen thus far this summer, probably this year.

They are brilliantly written and directed, a tribute to what Hollywood can be when it wants to create something of quality. I feel lucky to have seen them.

Jason "yes, it means something that the studios screened these two films for critics well ahead of their release dates... it means everyone knows the reviews will be amazing!" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Tommac View Post
    Sorry, I saw Pain and Gain and thought it was one of the worst movies I've seen in the last 5 years. What a waste of talent. I thought the story was just stupid.
    Not sure if your post is tongue in cheek, but if not the movie is based on a true story that was incredibly chronicled by the Miami New Times in the late 90s. As is most often the case, the written source material is vastly superior to the movie. It is hard to read at times but i could not put it down:

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/pain-and-gain-6396870

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Is that $73 million for a 3-day weekend, or for the 5 days Transformers will accumulate box office, as it opens Wednesday?
    A week ago, estimates were that Transformers 5 would do around $75 mil for the 5-day opening (Wed - Sun). Those were scaled back to $70 mil when reviews came in really bad on Tuesday. Well, we now have the opening day number ($15.5 mil) and the estimates are dropping even more. I'm hearing the 5-day figure is now expected to be in the $63-$66 mil range.

I know a lot of ya'll voted for this flick... but I think it's chances of reaching more than maybe $170 million are dwindling fast! HSX (which estimates the first 3 weekends for films) was as high at $173 a couple weeks ago. It is now at $145 and falling.

-Jason "I really think Dunkirk or Apes is going to be our #5 film" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

It will be interesting to see if Cars 3 can get past Pirates. Right now, Cars 3 opened lower and has daily takes lower than Pirates each and every day...especially with DM3 dropping next week.

I'm beginning to think this is going to be four giants (WW,GG2, Spidey and DM3) and one we don't expect. "Field" could very well win. Though if Apes is as good as Jason says, that's likely in there.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    A week ago, estimates were that Transformers 5 would do around $75 mil for the 5-day opening (Wed - Sun). Those were scaled back to $70 mil when reviews came in really bad on Tuesday. Well, we now have the opening day number ($15.5 mil) and the estimates are dropping even more. I'm hearing the 5-day figure is now expected to be in the $63-$66 mil range.

I know a lot of ya'll voted for this flick... but I think it's chances of reaching more than maybe $170 million are dwindling fast! HSX (which estimates the first 3 weekends for films) was as high at $173 a couple weeks ago. It is now at $145 and falling.

-Jason "I really think Dunkirk or Apes is going to be our #5 film" Evans
    I voted for Transformers but would be happy to finish 4-for-5 if it means Dunkirk and/or Apes are actually really good movies that end up drawing in larger audiences.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Looking forward to Jason's Apes review, and also an answer to this question.
    If you did not see the previous movies, will it be a factor in enjoying this one? Just wondering if it will shy folks that didn't away from the theater and encourage them to wait for the DVD. (Obviously, lots of people saw the earlier ones, but still curious.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Not sure if your post is tongue in cheek, but if not the movie is based on a true story that was incredibly chronicled by the Miami New Times in the late 90s. As is most often the case, the written source material is vastly superior to the movie. It is hard to read at times but i could not put it down:

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/pain-and-gain-6396870
    No, I was serious that the movie was bad in my opinion. The actual news story could very well have been a great read, but it didn't translate into a good movie in this case. Maybe I would have appreciated it more had I read the story first. But as a stand alone movie, I just didn't like it.
    Tom Mac

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    I voted for Transformers but would be happy to finish 4-for-5 if it means Dunkirk and/or Apes are actually really good movies that end up drawing in larger audiences.
    I second that emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    I voted for the Apes, but I would not mind losing the contest to Dunkirk.

If, however, I lose to Transformers, I will be quite upset.

I gave up hope on transformers a long time ago. Sad. I loved them as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Looking forward to Jason's Apes review, and also an answer to this question.
    If you did not see the previous movies, will it be a factor in enjoying this one? Just wondering if it will shy folks that didn't away from the theater and encourage them to wait for the DVD. (Obviously, lots of people saw the earlier ones, but still curious.)
    We are still a few weeks away from Apes coming to theaters, so I am going to wait a bit to post my review. I don't think it is all that much of a hurdle for you to enjoy this one if you did not see the previous ones. There are certainly some aspects of the previous story incorporated here (especially the notion of Koba and his followers not accepting Caesar's leadership), but it is explained in a way that allows this movie to make perfect sense.

I'm starting to get kinda optimistic about this flick's chances. The last one (Dawn) made $208 mil in 2014. I have a hard time imaging many folks who saw that in theaters will not want to see this one as well. I mean, Dawn was 90% on Rotten Tomatoes and has a Flixster user rating of 88%. I mean, maybe I am missing something and the reviews will be bad (I really, really doubt it as I loved it and so id all the critics who saw it with me), but I just don't see how this film doesn't crack $200 mil... and that may be enough to get to 5th place.

-Jason "Dunkirk worries me... I think it may have ridiculously long legs and may end up in the mid-200s" Evans

Early reports are that Transformers is going to make right around $40 mil for the weekend with a 5-day take of $64 million. I think you can stick a fork in that turkey... no chance. I suspect it will not even make $150 million at the domestic boxoffice. Thanks for playing, but you ain't in our top 5 (yay!!!!)

Meanwhile, Cars 2 is going to make right around $26 mil in its second week, a drop of about 50% (a pretty good hold), and will just barely cross the $100 mil mark on Sunday. Kids movies always have longer legs than action fare so Cars 2 still has a decent chance. I don't think it gets to $200 mil, but it may come close and that may be good enough for our #5 spot. Still need another weekend or two to know how much of a contender it will be.

-Jason "Dunkirk... the marketing is ramping up and I suspect I am going to look back on it and wonder how I did not pick it... sorta like when I did not pick The Dark Knight many years ago" Evans

-Jason "Dunkirk... the marketing is ramping up and I suspect I am going to look back on it and wonder how I did not pick it... sorta like when I did not pick The Dark Knight many years ago" Evans
    Luckily, there will be 13 people around to remind you about Dunkirk.

Early reports are that Transformers is going to make right around $40 mil for the weekend with a 5-day take of $64 million. I think you can stick a fork in that turkey... no chance. I suspect it will not even make $150 million at the domestic boxoffice. Thanks for playing, but you ain't in our top 5 (yay!!!!)

Meanwhile, Cars 2 is going to make right around $26 mil in its second week, a drop of about 50% (a pretty good hold), and will just barely cross the $100 mil mark on Sunday. Kids movies always have longer legs than action fare so Cars 2 still has a decent chance. I don't think it gets to $200 mil, but it may come close and that may be good enough for our #5 spot. Still need another weekend or two to know how much of a contender it will be.

Two things worried me about Dunkirk, 1) It's place in British history and American audiences not being interested and 2) the running time. I was seeing this movie regardless because the awesomeness of the Dunkirk evacuation and its running time is reportedly 107 minutes which is real short for a Nolan movie.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Two things worried me about Dunkirk, 1) It's place in British history and American audiences not being interested and 2) the running time. I was seeing this movie regardless because the awesomeness of the Dunkirk evacuation and its running time is reportedly 107 minutes which is real short for a Nolan movie.
    IIRC, Nolan used innovative filming techniques that are supposed to shine in IMAX. To those that follow those types of things, how much does the increased IMAX ticket prices impact its total revenue?

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    IIRC, Nolan used innovative filming techniques that are supposed to shine in IMAX. To those that follow those types of things, how much does the increased IMAX ticket prices impact its total revenue?
    Won't that be balanced by the sale of senior tickets?

As good as the movie might be, I just don't see a WWII movie connecting with the younger demographic - critical for a top 5 movie.

Not that there was much doubt how Spidey would do, given the nice intro from Captain America: Civil War, the MCU box office freight train, and the presence of Iron Man in the trailers...but early buzz is evidently quite good.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni61242674?...ref_=hm_nw_tp1

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Not that there was much doubt how Spidey would do, given the nice intro from Captain America: Civil War, the MCU box office freight train, and the presence of Iron Man in the trailers...but early buzz is evidently quite good.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni61242674?...ref_=hm_nw_tp1
    Gizmodo/iO9 has collected a bunch of tweets from critics who saw it. They are really, really good!

-Jason "this was always a lock... and now the only question is whether Guardians or Spidey end up as the biggest movie of summer... Wonder Woman will be #3" Evans