View Poll Results: What will be the top 5 films at the boxoffice this summer?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (May 5)

53 98.15%
  • Alien Covenant (May 19)

1 1.85%
  • Baywatch (May 26)

5 9.26%
  • Pirates of the Carib 5 (May 26)

8 14.81%
  • Wonder Woman (June 2)

34 62.96%
  • Captain Underpants (June 2)

3 5.56%
  • The Mummy (June 9)

2 3.70%
  • Cars 3 (June 16)

21 38.89%
  • Transformers: Last Knight (June 23)

18 33.33%
  • Despicable Me 3 (June 30)

48 88.89%
  • Spider-man Homecoming (July 7)

44 81.48%
  • War of the Planet of the Apes (July 14)

6 11.11%
  • Dunkirk (July 21)

13 24.07%
  • The Dark Tower (August 4)

2 3.70%
  • Field (all other films)

8 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Wonder Woman posted a very impressive $11 mil from Thursday night screenings. By comparison, that bests the Thursday night performance of Dr. Strange ($9.4 mil) and Pirates 5 ($5.5 mil). Still, it is well below the past couple DC films, Suicide Squad ($20.5 mil) and BvS ($27.7 mil). But, the early audience reaction seems to the matching the tremendous enthusiasm of critics. 25% of the folks who saw the film on Thursday night say THEY PLAN TO SEE WONDER WOMAN AGAIN IN THEATERS!! That is a huge number and an indication this film will have repeat business and long legs. 70% of the Thursday audience say they will definitely recommend it to friends. 49% say the film met their expectations and 47% say it exceeded them. Only 4% of moviegoers were disappointed in Wonder Woman. Ummmm, WOW!!!

Warner is trying to dampen expectations a bit, saying they expect the opening weekend to be around $80 million. But, most boxoffice analysts are now saying a $100 mil weekend is all but a sure-thing, especially with all the rave reviews hitting Rotten Tomatoes (94% on RT at last check). I fully expect this film to earn $300+ million when all is said and done.

In other news, the first full week of Pirates 5 is done and it has made $93 million. That's 18% less than Pirates 4 which pulled in $113.6 mil in its opening week. Pirates 4 went on to make $241 million. If Pirates 5 ends up 18% below that figure, it will earn $197 million. I guess it is still a contender in our contest, but I am not optimistic about its chances. I think the excitement over the well-reviewed Wonder Woman film will also hurt Pirates 5 as folks heading to the theater this weekend won't want to see a poorly reviewed action flick when a well-reviewed one is waiting for them.

-Jason "If I had to pick a number, I am going with $108 million for the Wonder Woman opening weekend" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Wonder Woman posted a very impressive $11 mil from Thursday night screenings. By comparison, that bests the Thursday night performance of Dr. Strange ($9.4 mil) and Pirates 5 ($5.5 mil). Still, it is well below the past couple DC films, Suicide Squad ($20.5 mil) and BvS ($27.7 mil). But, the early audience reaction seems to the matching the tremendous enthusiasm of critics. 25% of the folks who saw the film on Thursday night say THEY PLAN TO SEE WONDER WOMAN AGAIN IN THEATERS!! That is a huge number and an indication this film will have repeat business and long legs. 70% of the Thursday audience say they will definitely recommend it to friends. 49% say the film met their expectations and 47% say it exceeded them. Only 4% of moviegoers were disappointed in Wonder Woman. Ummmm, WOW!!!

Warner is trying to dampen expectations a bit, saying they expect the opening weekend to be around $80 million. But, most boxoffice analysts are now saying a $100 mil weekend is all but a sure-thing, especially with all the rave reviews hitting Rotten Tomatoes (94% on RT at last check). I fully expect this film to earn $300+ million when all is said and done.

In other news, the first full week of Pirates 5 is done and it has made $93 million. That's 18% less than Pirates 4 which pulled in $113.6 mil in its opening week. Pirates 4 went on to make $241 million. If Pirates 5 ends up 18% below that figure, it will earn $197 million. I guess it is still a contender in our contest, but I am not optimistic about its chances. I think the excitement over the well-reviewed Wonder Woman film will also hurt Pirates 5 as folks heading to the theater this weekend won't want to see a poorly reviewed action flick when a well-reviewed one is waiting for them.

-Jason "If I had to pick a number, I am going with $108 million for the Wonder Woman opening weekend" Evans
    Well, I for one, will not be seeing Wonder Woman tonight. I will instead be seeing Captain Underpants...yes I have an 8 year old. I'm just glad it's getting good reviews, hopefully it is funny.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

As a random data point, my roommate and I saw WW last night, and we plan to see it again with another couple, this weekend. Needless to say, we both enjoyed it very much.

Baby Driver

It will not be a player in our contest but I've been watching the trailers for Baby Driver today and I will be seeing this movie. It is 100% on RT right now and the car chases look great. 2nd movie I'm excited for this summer after Dunkirk.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    It will not be a player in our contest but I've been watching the trailers for Baby Driver today and I will be seeing this movie. It is 100% on RT right now and the car chases look great. 2nd movie I'm excited for this summer after Dunkirk.
    Totally with you on Baby Driver. I pegged this as my summer sleeper. What a cast. Not so much box office wise but as perhaps the summer's best movie. Although right now WW is the movie to beat.

Opening weekend estimates for Wonder Woman: $100.5 million. Pirates dropped about 65% to an estimated $21.6 million, finishing third behind Captain Underpants ($23.5 million) and reaching a cumulative of $114.6 million.

Results!

The 5 Biggest Films of the Summer (so far)

1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 $355,474,332
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales $114,621,771
    3. Wonder Woman $100,505,000
    4. Alien: Covenant $67,219,484
    5. Snatched $43,868,414

Here are the current standings:

1. murpho is 4/5 (#1, #2, #3, and #5 films)
    2. (tie) Reddevil, tdrake51, YmoBeThere are 3/5 (#1, #2, and #3 films)
    5. (tie) JNort, Udaman are 3/5 (#1, #2, and #5 films)
    7. ryetales is 3/5 (#1, #3, and #5 films)
    8. (tie) nmduke2001, Tommac are 2/5 (#1 and #2 films)
    10. (tie) The 30 other people who picked Wonder Woman are 2/5 (#1 and #3 films)
    40. chriso is 2/5 (#1 and #4 films)
    41. (tie) The 4 other "Field" voters are 2/5 (#1 and #5 films)
    45. (tie) The 9 people who did not pick "Field" or Alien or Pirates or Wonder Woman are 1/5
    54. Bluedag (who only picked Dunkirk, but has since posted to the thread and acknowledges the mistake)

There's a chance that summer #6 Baywatch (currently $2.1M behind #5 Snatched) can sneak into the Top 5 during the week, but then the question is whether next weekend's The Mummy can make more in 3 days than Baywatch will make in 17 days. This is, of course, all moot after Cars 3 opens the following weekend.

If the number holds, Wonder Woman will be the 45th film to make at least $100M domestic its opening weekend. (The first was Spider-Man 15 years ago, so Hollywood is averaging 3 per year.) Of the previous 44 films, all have made at least $234M (X-Men: The Last Stand). I should add that another DC film, Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice, appears to be the only one of the 44 that failed to double its opening weekend box office by the end of its run.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    If the number holds, Wonder Woman will be the 45th film to make at least $100M domestic its opening weekend. (The first was Spider-Man 15 years ago, so Hollywood is averaging 3 per year.) Of the previous 44 films, all have made at least $234M (X-Men: The Last Stand). I should add that another DC film, Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice, appears to be the only one of the 44 that failed to double its opening weekend box office by the end of its run.
    With the reviews and A Cinemascore, WW is a mortal lock to make over $250 million when all is said and done. It is a little disappointing that the opening weekend audience did not include more young males (the audience skewed over 25 and also skewed slightly female), who typically come out in droves for superhero movies and are the most likely audience to see movies multiple times, but that still won't dampen what should be a great boxoffice take for this film. If you did not vote for it, your chances of going 5-for-5 are nil.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Pirates dropped about 65% to an estimated $21.6 million, finishing third behind Captain Underpants ($23.5 million) and reaching a cumulative of $114.6 million.
    That is a somewhat disastrous result. It is the biggest drop from opening weekend of any film in the Pirates franchise (Pirates 4 fell about 61%). If I had to guess, I would say this flick now seems likely to stall out around $160-170 million. If you voted for it, you are probably sunk unless we have a summer of with a lot of mild hits and not many big ones.

-Jason "I'm terribly fearful that the wretched Transformers movie is going to sneak in as the #5 film in our contest... but I would not be able to stomach going 5-for-5 by hitting on Transformers (same with Cars 3)" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    With the reviews and A Cinemascore, WW is a mortal lock to make over $250 million ... It is a little disappointing that the opening weekend audience did not include more young males (the audience skewed over 25 and also skewed slightly female), ...
    What is wrong with young males these days? Have they seen Gal Gadot?

They are the ones skewed.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

Maybe they were like me and saw her in Keeping up with the Joneses. But then given it's box office, we can surmise that didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

I haven't see WW yet and am not generally a big fan of superhero flicks, but I did see Gal Gadot on the Tonight Show recently. I thought she was beautiful, funny and likeable. Made me more interested in seeing the movie. That is naturally the point of such appearances, though it only works occasionally for me. This time it did.

Opening weekend estimates for Wonder Woman: $100.5 million. Pirates dropped about 65% to an estimated $21.6 million, finishing third behind Captain Underpants ($23.5 million) and reaching a cumulative of $114.6 million.
    WB has revised Wonder Woman's weekend total upward to $103.1 million after it outperformed Sunday projections. Its main competition this upcoming weekend will be The Mummy (no reviews yet).

I have read a couple early reviews for The Mummy...things do not look promising for BD80 and Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 (the only two to pick it in our contest).

I have read a couple early reviews for The Mummy...things do not look promising for BD80 and Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 (the only two to pick it in our contest).
    Yikes, did I pick that? I must have clicked the wrong button a few months ago. Can't imagine I would have thought for a few moments even that it would do well.

Looks horrid.

Wonder Woman has done huge Monday and Tuesday business, showing it is going to be a film with real legs. It pulled in $14.4 mil on Tuesday, a huge mid-week number. It now stands at $129 mil in total boxoffice and many in Hollywood expect it to hit $200 million in total boxoffice by the end of this coming weekend.

Meanwhile, as El Diablo mentioned, the first reviews of The Mummy have dropped and they are pretty bad. It is as 28% on Rotten Tomatoes with about 35 reviews counted so far. I actually had high hopes because I thought Tom Cruise was on a bit of a hot streak with Edge of Tomorrow and Rogue Nation. Heck, I even thought Oblivion and Jack Reacher were pretty watchable flicks too. But, it is being said that this may be the worst film of Cruise's career (current leader Vanilla Sky, IMO).

Anyway I am seeing a screening of The Mummy tonight and will chime in with my thoughts tomorrow.

-Jason "meanwhile, I am starting to think Pirates 5 may not even make $160 million" Evans

If I were them, I would demand a recount. Or an audit.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    If I were them, I would demand a recount. Or an audit.
    Damn Russians must've hacked my account.

Actually, I had a bit of fun with my picks, taking flyers on some flicks I thought might be "undervalued."

WW - thought people might overlook because of DC's recent track record, the recent flood of comic book movies, and female lead and director.

The Mummy - ripe for a reimagining, solid horror/action story foundation, Tom Cruise usually chooses pretty good projects.

Baywatch - was my raunchy summer comedy pick with lots of skin, Dwayne Johnson had been on a roll

Captain Underpants - a kids flick that would keep drawing throughout the summer, Jordon Peele is really hot right now

GotG2 - Week 1
    Mon - $9.,8M
    Tues - $12.1M
    Wed - $7.5M

WW - Week 1
    Mon - $11.7M
    Tues - $14.3M
    Wed - $9.3M

Opening weekend aside, right now WW is turning in strong work week numbers than did Guardians.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 $355,474,332
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales $114,621,771
    3. Wonder Woman $100,505,000
    4. Alien: Covenant $67,219,484
    5. Snatched $43,868,414
    It's not even the weekend and there are already changes to the Top 5. Wonder Woman moved past Pirates and into second place. More importantly, Baywatch finally clawed its way to #5. Can it stay there with a $45 million headstart on The Mummy?

Recent films opening this weekend (the 2nd weekend after Memorial Day):

2016 The Conjuring 2 (opening weekend $40M, finished at $102M)
    2015 Jurassic World (open $208M, finish $652M)
    2014 Edge of Tomorrow (open $28M, finish $100M)
    2013 The Purge (open $34M, finish $64M)
    2012 Prometheus (open $51M, finish $126M) -- behind Madagascar 3, which is an unhelpful comparison.

Setting aside Jurassic World, which was poorly scheduled but triumphed anyway, these are some pretty good comps for The Mummy. Horror, adults as the targeted audience, even a Tom Cruise movie.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    GotG2 - Week 1
    Mon - $9.,8M
    Tues - $12.1M
    Wed - $7.5M

WW - Week 1
    Mon - $11.7M
    Tues - $14.3M
    Wed - $9.3M

Opening weekend aside, right now WW is turning in strong work week numbers than did Guardians.
    Well, it is worth noting that a heck of a lot more kids are on summer break at this point than in early May when GOTG2 began its run. Summer vacations plus kids out of school (and college) equals a lot more folks looking to do something fun on a random Mon-Thu night.

Still, the WW midweek numbers are impressive. This flick is going to make $300 mil.