View Poll Results: What will be the top 5 films at the boxoffice this summer?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (May 5)

53 98.15%
  • Alien Covenant (May 19)

1 1.85%
  • Baywatch (May 26)

5 9.26%
  • Pirates of the Carib 5 (May 26)

8 14.81%
  • Wonder Woman (June 2)

34 62.96%
  • Captain Underpants (June 2)

3 5.56%
  • The Mummy (June 9)

2 3.70%
  • Cars 3 (June 16)

21 38.89%
  • Transformers: Last Knight (June 23)

18 33.33%
  • Despicable Me 3 (June 30)

48 88.89%
  • Spider-man Homecoming (July 7)

44 81.48%
  • War of the Planet of the Apes (July 14)

6 11.11%
  • Dunkirk (July 21)

13 24.07%
  • The Dark Tower (August 4)

2 3.70%
  • Field (all other films)

8 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ryetales View Post
    Sure, if it involves sigs, I'll promise to start posting more.
    I'm thinking pies... winner gets his choice from the Grand Traverse Pie Company wesbsite: https://shop.gtpie.com/category/fruit_pies

Jason "mmmmm... pie" Evans

Every season seems to have a raunchy surprise success... Just saying.
    Yeah, it was called Girls Trip, and on Friday it passed Baby Driver to become the summer's Field pick.

Updated again to show everyone's individual picks. Now the only ties are among people who picked the same 5 films.

The 6 Biggest Films of the Summer (so far)

1. $404,008,376 Wonder Woman
    2. $389,192,395 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    3. $314,051,381 Spider-Man: Homecoming
    4. $251,740,230 Despicable Me 3
    5. $171,809,932 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
    6. $165,508,079 Dunkirk

5/5

1. (tie) Reddevil, tdrake51 (#1, #2, #3, #4, and #5)

4/5

3. (tie) accfanfrom1970, DUKIECB, killerleft (#1, #2, #3, #4, and #6 Dunkirk)
    6. (tie) bcsu, bjornolf, DevilBen02, FerryFor50, jjredickrules, Native, Natty_B, PackMan97, PensDevil (#1, #2, #3, #4, and #7 Cars 3)
    15. (tie) Doria, JasonEvans, Olympic Fan (#1, #2, #3, #4, and #8 War for the Planet of the Apes)
    18. (tie) 94duke, dball, DU82, El_Diablo, NashvilleDevil, Reisen, trey (#1, #2, #3, #4, and #9 Transformers: The Last Knight)
    25. ryetales (#1, #2, #3, #4, and #10 Field/Girls Trip)
    26. Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 (#1, #2, #3, #4, and #12 The Mummy)
    27. (tie) IrishDevil, luburch (#1, #2, #3, #4, and #17 Baywatch)
    29. brevity (#1, #2, #3, #4, and #22 The Dark Tower)

30. YmoBeThere (#1, #2, #4, #5, and #7 Cars 3)
    31. murpho (#1, #2, #4, #5, and #10 Field/Girls Trip)

32. nmduke2001 (#2, #3, #4, #5, and #9 Transformers: The Last Knight)
    33. Udaman (#2, #3, #4, #5, and #10 Field/Girls Trip)

3/5

34. duke23 (#1, #2, #4, #6 Dunkirk, and #7 Cars 3)
    35. mkirsh (#1, #2, #4, #9 Transformers: The Last Knight, and #17 Baywatch)

36. (tie) Dar95, davekay1971 (#2, #3, #4, #6 Dunkirk, and #7 Cars 3)
    38. (tie) Chicago 1995, Wander (#2, #3, #4, #6 Dunkirk, and #9 Transformers: The Last Knight)
    40. Gooch (#2, #3, #4, #6 Dunkirk, and #10 Field/Girls Trip)
    41. cato (#2, #3, #4, #6 Dunkirk, and #14 Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie)
    42. wilson (#2, #3, #4, #7 Cars 3, and #9 Transformers: The Last Knight)
    43. (tie) CameronBornAndBred, mph (#2, #3, #4, #7 Cars 3, and #10 Field/Girls Trip)

45. JNort (#2, #3, #5, #10 Field/Girls Trip, and #22 The Dark Tower)

46. Tommac (#2, #4, #5, #7 Cars 3, and #9 Transformers: The Last Knight)

2/5

47. aimo (#1, #2, #7 Cars 3, #8 War for the Planet of the Apes, and #9 Transformers: The Last Knight)

48. BLPOG (#2, #3, #6 Dunkirk, #7 Cars 3, and #9 Transformers: The Last Knight)
    49. LasVegas (#2, #3, #6 Dunkirk, #8 War for the Planet of the Apes, and #9 Transformers: The Last Knight)
    50. Blue in the Face (#2, #3, #8 War for the Planet of the Apes, #9 Transformers: The Last Knight, and #14 Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie)

51. Highlander (#2, #4, #7 Cars 3, #9 Transformers: The Last Knight, and #10 Field/Girls Trip)
    52. chriso (#2, #4, #7 Cars 3, #13 Alien: Covenant, and #17 Baywatch)
    53. BD80 (#2, #4, #12 The Mummy, #14 Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie, and #17 Baywatch)

0/5

54. Bluedag (#6 Dunkirk: bobbing for IMAX cameras)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I'm thinking pies... winner gets his choice from the Grand Traverse Pie Company wesbsite: https://shop.gtpie.com/category/fruit_pies

Jason "mmmmm... pie" Evans
    I like pies. Works for me. I'll toss out a Baltimore plug for http://dangerouspiesbalt.com/. I'll let you choose because I'm not feeling super hopeful about my chances but it could still happen.

Did my part to help my picks out

Saw Dunkirk this weekend. What an excellent movie. Really, really enjoyed it, if enjoyed is the right word. Loved how the three stories threaded together. Don't want to spoil anymore, but (having seen few movies this year) it's the best one I've seen in 2017.

I also watched Nocturnal Animals last night in HBO. I enjoyed it, and certainly got sucked into it, despite some of the superficial ridiculousness. I can't tell you if it was good exactly, but I didn't feel like I wasted my 110 minutes watching it.

-Jason "accfanfrom1970, DUKIECB, and killerleft are going to do the nearly impossible and go 5-for-5. Mad props!!" Evans
    Wow! Thanks! I would say it was all the expert research I did along with my super intuitive and knowledgeable insight into the movie industry but I must say it all boils down to this: Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

I like pies. Works for me. I'll toss out a Baltimore plug for http://dangerouspiesbalt.com/. I'll let you choose because I'm not feeling super hopeful about my chances but it could still happen.
    So, to be clear, we are wagering one pie from one of the prominent online pie sellers. If Hitman's Bodyguard makes $100 mil at the domestic boxoffice, you win. Anything less and I win. The wager officially ends when the film is no longer in theaters, but either side can concede early if they want.

Thanks! I am sure I will be hungry for some pie in three or four weeks when it becomes clear you lose

Jason "for the record, I have never, ever lost a wager on DBR. I'm something like 5-for-5 thus far" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Wow! Thanks! I would say it was all the expert research I did along with my super intuitive and knowledgeable insight into the movie industry but I must say it all boils down to this: Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile
    Your victory will be official in about 10 days, I think. Certainly by Labor Day.

Jason "time to start researching the Winter flix. Gonna be a really tough one with fewer sure-things than usual" Evans

Jason "for the record, I have never, ever lost a wager on DBR. I'm something like 5-for-5 thus far" Evans
    Well, at least you've gone 5-for-5 in something.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Well, at least you've gone 5-for-5 in something.
    Nicely played... it is also worth noting that in the actual basketball wagering contests we have had over the years, I've been mediocre at best.

Jason "time to start researching the Winter flix. Gonna be a really tough one with fewer sure-things than usual" Evans
    There are three mortal locks, all of which will make more than $250 mil... and then there may be 6 other movies that could all make between $120-$150 mil... I have no idea which ones will stick and resonate with the audience.

Jason "I was extremely confident about the top 4 this summer... " Evans

There are three mortal locks, all of which will make more than $250 mil... and then there may be 6 other movies that could all make between $120-$150 mil... I have no idea which ones will stick and resonate with the audience.

Jason "I was extremely confident about the top 4 this summer... " Evans
    Can't remember but when do we usually start the winter? November? I know one of the locks is being released a week before Thanksgiving.

So, to be clear, we are wagering one pie from one of the prominent online pie sellers. If Hitman's Bodyguard makes $100 mil at the domestic boxoffice, you win. Anything less and I win. The wager officially ends when the film is no longer in theaters, but either side can concede early if they want.

Thanks! I am sure I will be hungry for some pie in three or four weeks when it becomes clear you lose

I'm in. I'm guessing it will be clear in about 2 weeks whether it has any legs at all. There is always a first time.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Can't remember but when do we usually start the winter? November? I know one of the locks is being released a week before Thanksgiving.
    I'll look more closely at the release sked in a couple weeks. We generally start in late Oct or early Nov but with the new Blade Runner hitting in early October, I might start early.

I'll look more closely at the release sked in a couple weeks. We generally start in late Oct or early Nov but with the new Blade Runner hitting in early October, I might start early.
    Ah. If you start in October, then I have a suggestion: a tie-breaker question.

Which of the following small, end-of-year dramas will make the most domestic box office?

Wonder (Dir. Stephen Chbosky; stars Julia Roberts and Jacob Tremblay; opens November 17)
    Wonderstruck (Dir. Todd Haynes; stars Julianne Moore and Michelle Williams; opens October 20)
    Wonder Wheel (Dir. Woody Allen; stars Kate Winslet and Justin Timberlake; opens December 1)
    Professor Marston & the Wonder Women (Dir. Angela Robinson; stars Luke Evans and Rebecca Hall; opens October 27)

Which of the following small, end-of-year dramas will make the most domestic box office?

Wonder (Dir. Stephen Chbosky; stars Julia Roberts and Jacob Tremblay; opens November 17)
    Wonderstruck (Dir. Todd Haynes; stars Julianne Moore and Michelle Williams; opens October 20)
    Wonder Wheel (Dir. Woody Allen; stars Kate Winslet and Justin Timberlake; opens December 1)
    Professor Marston & the Wonder Women (Dir. Angela Robinson; stars Luke Evans and Rebecca Hall; opens October 27)
    Easy.

Julianne Moore always get my vote.

FWIW, the much lauded Baby Driver, which did $20 million it's first weeked(June 30-July 2), hit the $100 million dollar mark last weekend and appears it will end up in the $102-$103 million dollar range. The odds are definitely against you, ryetales.

If I were JE in this scenario, I would be wondering what meal best accompanies my pie choice.

Wonder-full suggestion

I wonder why so many similar titles are to be released in one 1/2 months?

Girl's Trip 7 day total $45.4 million 28 day total $100.1 million
    Hitman's Bodyguard 7 day total $29.6 milion

It's over.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Girl's Trip 7 day total $45.4 million 28 day total $100.1 million
    Hitman's Bodyguard 7 day total $29.6 milion

It's over.
    I'd say it is 50-50 as to whether Hitman's Bodguard even earns $70 million. $100 million ain't happening.

I'm hungry for pie!!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

It is going to be close, but it looks like Dunkirk may pass Pirates this weekend.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?