Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: User Tips!

User Tips!

As you guys discover the features in this system, please post all tips in one thread. thanks!
    Last edited by dbr; 02-26-2007 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dbr View Post
    Hey guys, let's post all discoveries in one thread so they're easy to track.
    I'm still looking for the icon that looks like two mountains with a sun over it

9F GTHC!

Smile Maybe this will help

One feature I really like...

Is that you can send private messages! That was such a nice feature in the past, so I'm really happy to find it here. I discovered if I clicked on a person's name/user name, I could:

View public profile
    Send email
    View all postings
    Add to buddy list.

Nice!

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Okay - tried to put an image in my sig, but it is not allowed, apparently. Also, when I did post, the sig didn't show. Hmmm.
    Okay, got the sig to post - forgot to save it after previewing - d'oh!. But my "signature permission" panel say that images and animated gifs (like BluBones's dancing skeleton) arent' permitted in sig files. Do you guys want to allow this?
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by Boswell View Post
    Here's another thing I'm trying to figure out. I went in the Admin Board as dbr and set the default for the clock to be EST (-500 GMT) from the GMT setting. When I sign out and go to the forums, it looks good. When I sign in as "Boswell," though, I'm back on the GMT setting. I cleared the cookies (or thought I did), so I'm not sure why this is happening.
    OK, I figured it out: Go to Quick Links>Edit Options>Date & Time Options and set for your appropriate time zone.

Calendar

I created a calendar event for the women's game today. It's kinda cool that anyone can create a calendar event, but I wonder if you'd want to limit that going forward. Or maybe I'm wrong... maybe I just created a calendar event that only I can see. Can anyone else see the women's game in the calendar?

--BluBones

Calendar entries

Blu,

I see the women's game entry you posted on the calendar. Maybe the admins should, when time permits, enter the remaining schedule of games and the tourney dates and other important events (like the basketball banquets) on the calendar--in fact, since you've figured it out, why don't you volunteer to do it?

Stray ~~~;~~;~

Spoke too soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Blu,

in fact, since you've figured it out, why don't you volunteer to do it?

Stray ~~~;~~;~
    I tried to do just that, but now I've lost my right to change the calendar. ;-)

--BluBones

Quote Originally Posted by BluBones View Post
    Do you mean the sigs? They aren't working. To sign a post with an animated sig I have to enter it manually. By default, putting any image at all in a sig seems to be forbidden. If you could give users the right to automatically have images or animations appear in sigs it would rock.
    BluBones-

I changed the settings so you should now be able to post images in signatures automatically.

- Boswell

Yo, does anyone know how to work avatars? I notice that BluBones has his...blue bones down in his sig.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Yo, does anyone know how to work avatars? I notice that BluBones has his...blue bones down in his sig.
    I'm wondering if they turned off the ability for non mods to have images in their signature? I'm having no luck getting one to work either...

Edit: Yeah, if you look down in the permissions box under your sig edit stuff we get the big X for the image options.
    Last edited by DankeShane; 02-26-2007 at 05:11 PM.

Posts I've Read Before

New board is excellent. Is there a way to identify posts that I've already read (like James's old board with the change in background color)?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by DankeShane View Post
    I'm wondering if they turned off the ability for non mods to have images in their signature? I'm having no luck getting one to work either...

Edit: Yeah, if you look down in the permissions box under your sig edit stuff we get the big X for the image options.
    Let me work on that. I thought I had turned on the ability to post images in signatures, but I guess it didn't work. I'm still learning all the admin features myself. Right now, the avatar option is turned off (as feldspar requested).

Update

Ok, I think you should be able to do an image in your sig but don't use html codes as that won't work. If you use the [IMG] function, it should. Off to work on posts per page... Be back soon.

In your control panel, you can adjust the number of posts per page that you see. I've got mine set on 30.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

When you want to post a link, you can give the link a name rather than posting the whole url.

First click the little globe with the chain link. A pop up box will appear. Enter your link in the box and click accept.
    After you enter the url in the pop up box, it will appear in your post like this-

URL="http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/"]http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/[/URL]

Simply change the script after the first set of brackets (in red) to the name you want for your link (in red below). It should look like this-

URL="http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/"]DBR[/URL]

Your link will look like this in your finished post - DBR

Happy linking!

EDIT - I intentionally removed the first bracket of the link scripts so that you can see the text I was referring to.
    Last edited by SavannahDevil; 02-27-2007 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Explanation added

Just noticed a board feature.

After making a post there is an edit link at the bottom of your posted message. That's a nice feature.

Quote Originally Posted by dbr View Post
    As Charles noted, there are some restrictions for general users.

The board is set up around groups. Most of you are in the usergroup. Our goal is to have several moderators, which comes with a higher level of options, like editing the calendar, editing offensive posts, banning users when necessary, etc.

We've asked a couple of people to be moderators, but anyone who is posting as of sunday who wants to be one can be one, and we could use the help. Just let us know. We'll probably be creating another forum just for moderators as well.
    Here is a way to help the mods. That little red triangle in the upper right corner, right beside the post number, is a "report this post" button.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
    Here is a way to help the mods. That little red triangle in the upper right corner, right beside the post number, is a "report this post" button.
    And let me add that using this button is VERY helpful.