Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Anyway, it is still a wonderful time at the movies and a worthy continuation of perhaps the best series in film history.
    Did you forget about Jar Jar? Now I can't take your review seriously at all.

BTW - Thanks! I'll be seeing it on Monday.

I’m seeing it at an eclipse theatre on Saturday. One of those theatres were it’s over 21 at a certain point and they serve real food to your seat and have a big bar. Meant to be a one stop shop for “dinner and a movie”. My first time going so we will see how it goes. The price is bonkers though. $18 a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    I’m seeing it at an eclipse theatre on Saturday. One of those theatres were it’s over 21 at a certain point and they serve real food to your seat and have a big bar. Meant to be a one stop shop for “dinner and a movie”. My first time going so we will see how it goes. The price is bonkers though. $18 a ticket.
    Interested to hear what you think. I wasn't a fan of the one I went too. A few too many distractions during the movie.

Well the reviews have hit Rotten Tomatoes. Right now it's at 96%. Not too shabby

I tried not to read too much but some did echo what Jason said about it being a little long and drug a bit in the middle but otherwise the praise seems to be pretty good.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Well the reviews have hit Rotten Tomatoes. Right now it's at 96%. Not too shabby

I tried not to read too much but some did echo what Jason said about it being a little long and drug a bit in the middle but otherwise the praise seems to be pretty good.
    Metacritc gives it an 86 compared to 81 for the force awakens. And I think 81 is a good rating for awakens.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    So, Jason, you think it'll do enough to make our top five?

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    So, Jason, you think it'll do enough to make our top five?
    My personal opinion is that it will be a top 5 lock after the first week.

Let's be honest about this, I've seen exactly four movies in the theater since my kids were born and three of them have been Star Wars movies.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Interested to hear what you think. I wasn't a fan of the one I went too. A few too many distractions during the movie.
    Yeah, I’m a little worried about it. The screen looks to be on the smaller side. My usual go to movie theatre is AMC @ town square. Directly south of the strip about a mile or 2. It has a few of those Dolby cinemas and they are crazy awesome. Gigantic screen and incredible surround sound. Plus the comfy leather recliners.
    The best thing to happen to theatres are those seats plus the ability to reserve a certain spot. No more waiting in line a hour before the movie to get a good seat.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post

I'm going to go ahead and predict that while critics will like it more than they liked Force Awakens, fans will like Force Awakens more and the final boxoffice tally of Last Jedi will come up a little short of Force Awakens. TFA made $936 million at the domestic boxoffice, I bet Last Jedi comes in closer to $800 million (which would still make it the #2 movie of all time). There won't be quite as much repeat business for Last Jedi.

-Jason "I'm going to start a spoiler thread to discuss specific stuff that happens in the movie... do not read that thread if you want to be unspoiled!!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    We need to start making predictions before spoilers start rolling in.
    I won't be seeing the film until at least the second week, maybe after Christmas. I did something similar for The Force Awakens, and managed to stay mostly unspoiled. Just need to avoid the DBR spoiler thread and any reviews or articles about the movie for the next few weeks.

So here's what we know after 7 movies, 8 if you include Rogue One, and you can draw your own prediction. It operates on the fairly large assumption that this new trilogy will be connected to the prequel trilogy (which I don't think has happened yet).

1. Cloning technology is possible, and successful. The Clone Wars are canon -- Obi-Wan mentions it in A New Hope, as does Senator Bail Organa in Rogue One -- though what that means is confined to Episode II, Episode III, and both animated series.

2. Having the Force appears to be a function of genetics. Whether you want to remain vague and mystical (original trilogy) or biologically specific (prequel trilogy) is up to you.

3. Darth Vader's melted helmet -- presumably the one from Endor when Luke cremated his father in Return of the Jedi -- was recovered and eventually ended up in the possession of Kylo Ren.

4. The lightsaber that Luke lost just outside Cloud City in The Empire Strikes Back was recovered and eventually ended up in the possession of Maz Kanata. No mention is made of the human hand once attached to it.

5. By the end of Episode III, Emperor Palpatine seemed to believe that a near-dead, incinerated, less-than-fully-limbed Anakin Skywalker was worth preserving.

6. Snoke is probably much older than Rey.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    So here's what we know after 7 movies, 8 if you include Rogue One, and you can draw your own prediction. It operates on the fairly large assumption that this new trilogy will be connected to the prequel trilogy (which I don't think has happened yet).

1. Cloning technology is possible, and successful. The Clone Wars are canon -- Obi-Wan mentions it in A New Hope, as does Senator Bail Organa in Rogue One -- though what that means is confined to Episode II, Episode III, and both animated series.

2. Having the Force appears to be a function of genetics. Whether you want to remain vague and mystical (original trilogy) or biologically specific (prequel trilogy) is up to you.

3. Darth Vader's melted helmet -- presumably the one from Endor when Luke cremated his father in Return of the Jedi -- was recovered and eventually ended up in the possession of Kylo Ren.

4. The lightsaber that Luke lost just outside Cloud City in The Empire Strikes Back was recovered and eventually ended up in the possession of Maz Kanata. No mention is made of the human hand once attached to it.

5. By the end of Episode III, Emperor Palpatine seemed to believe that a near-dead, incinerated, less-than-fully-limbed Anakin Skywalker was worth preserving.

6. Snoke is probably much older than Rey.
    Once you see the movie, head over to the Spoiler thread for my comments on this list of observations.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

3D or no?

Quote Originally Posted by dpslaw View Post
    3D or no?
    It was screened for my on an IMAX screen, but not in 3D. It is gorgeous (as you would imagine) but I'm not sure I would bother with 3D. IMAX is worth it though.

Eight minutes until the movie starts! See you on the other thread this afternoon.

So I’m seeing it in a few hours and just caught the user score on rotten tomatoes...57%!!!!! Yikes!!!

So I’m seeing it in a few hours and just caught the user score on rotten tomatoes...57%!!!!! Yikes!!!
    Discussed on the Spoiler thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker
    ...Cinemascore ('A' grade) and IMDB (8.0/10) tell me something funky's going on with that Rotten Tomatoes score. As always, I could be wrong, though.
    -jk

After you see it, head over to the spoiler thread where we are discussing this.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Disney has announced the cast for the next chapter from the galaxy far, far away -- and it will include the late Carrie Fisher.

Fisher will reprise her role as Princess Leia Organa, using "previously unreleased footage shot for 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens,'" director J.J. Abrams announced Friday.
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/27/enter...ast/index.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Unless they got realllllly lucky with the unused footage, they should just recast her. I'm sure Meryl Streep or someone similar could pull it off respectfully and successfully... oh well.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Unless they got realllllly lucky with the unused footage, they should just recast her. I'm sure Meryl Streep or someone similar could pull it off respectfully and successfully... oh well.
    I think they should just have the opening scroll say "Being ejected into space finally took its toll and General Leia died of an aneurysm."
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."