Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Yeah, but how much did Jar Jar get?

{shudder}
    I actually have trouble deciding whether young Anakin or Jar Jar is worse.

Anakin had arguably the stupidest line in the history of cinema: "Are you an angel?"

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "I can't decide if midichlorians or Jar-Jar are worse... it is a tough call" Evans
    midichlorians don't have any lines

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Hmm.

So I'd be a bad person for rooting for these creatures to explode or combust?

Attachment 7693
    I have to believe as part of Rey’s training there is the “how many Porgs can you skewer on your lightsabre” exercise.

Would make for an entertaining video game.

Yeah, but we spent screen time explaining midichlorians.

-Jason "I can't decide if midichlorians or Jar-Jar are worse... it is a tough call" Evans
    Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    I actually have trouble deciding whether young Anakin or Jar Jar is worse.

Anakin had arguably the stupidest line in the history of cinema: "Are you an angel?"
    I sense a poll ...

5. Young Anakin
    4. Movie 43
    3. Midichlorians
    2. Battlefield Earth

and the worse thing to happen in the history of cinema...

1. Jar-Jar Binks!

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I have to believe as part of Rey’s training there is the “how many Porgs can you skewer on your lightsabre” exercise.

Would make for an entertaining video game.
    Please make this happen.

I haven't seen the movie yet but I can pretty much guarantee that the porgs will suck mightily. All the evidence I need is right here...

-Jason "Disney, I am begging you... please stop pretending like Star Wars is made for 6-year old kids. Please." Evans

P.S. - I am rooting for this image to be prominently featured in the film.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

In fairness, and as someone who genuinely adores the Star Wars franchise, the Porgs, and all related kiddo-friendly merchandise, will be a small sliver of a pie which primarily focuses on space wizards in their pajamas fighting with giant glow sticks.

As a kid, I thought the Jawas were cute, and it helped me get into a franchise, largely inspired by Flash Gordon, so I suspect everything will work out just fine.

Please make this happen.

I haven't seen the movie yet but I can pretty much guarantee that the porgs will suck mightily. All the evidence I need is right here...

You know what? Grownups can suck it. I checked out this bedtime book about 4-5 months ago...

nightnightgroot.jpg

...and I keep renewing it and checking it in and out again because:

1) It's awesome.
    2) It tells us more about the Marvel Cinematic Universe than has yet been disclosed in the movies. You see the Guardians of the Galaxy combine forces with the Avengers, Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and other Hulks. There were a couple of characters I didn't even recognize.
    3) The library lets me, because no one else has ever put it on hold. Because they don't know. Even Gizmodo/io9 hasn't written about it.

Please make this happen.

-Jason "Disney, I am begging you... please stop pretending like Star Wars is made for 6-year old kids. Please." Evans

P.S. - I am rooting for this image to be prominently featured in the film.
    That second image is grisly. I wonder if PETA would try to encourage a boycott of Last Jedi until Disney came clean that no imaginary animals were harmed during filming?

Ok, one more because I can’t help myself... Flappy Porgs?

Ugh, I’m sorry.

Joke is on everyone. "This is not going to go the way you think" refers to the porgs.

All I can say is, people think that little guy is Chewie's right hand man, but in actuality, he is more like Chewie's "beef jerky sitting on the dashboard."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    More remorsefully, Mr. Hamill spoke of his frustration that Ms. Fisher would not get to complete this trilogy of films.
    “She deserved that second act,” he said. “Harrison was more prominent in VII, I’m more prominent in this one, and she was meant to be more prominent in the last one. Her timing was perfect, except in this case.”
    Hmmmmm...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...cid=spartandhp
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I am getting excited. This just pumps it up.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...of-the-series/

I am sure we will wait until the second weekend to see it to miss some of the crowds.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

We need to start making predictions before spoilers start rolling in.

Ultimately, I think Rey is going to be Luke's daughter just so that Star Wars can keep the name "Skywalker" in its movies. But I think the best choice, and the one that makes the most sense with the last movie, would be for her last name to be Palpatine.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post

Ultimately, I think Rey is going to be Luke's daughter just so that Star Wars can keep the name "Skywalker" in its movies. But I think the best choice, and the one that makes the most sense with the last movie, would be for her last name to be Palpatine.
    I'm not making any predictions as I want to just go in and enjoy without any preconceived notions of what may happen.

For those of you who may wait to see it, I have read that there are some major revelations and that you need to avoid spoilers before seeing it.

I'm seeing it Friday night at 7:00 so hope to avoid anything beforehand.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

I am seeing a press screening tonight and will report back with NO SPOILERS.

I am not even remotely surprised at reports that Johnson directed a brilliant film. The moment we head that he would be creating a whole new Star Wars trilogy after JJ is done with Ep 9, you knew that Disney was very happy with his work on Ep 8.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post

I predict it will just be like empire strikes back which will anger me

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    For those of you who may wait to see it, I have read that there are some major revelations and that you need to avoid spoilers before seeing it.
    I have to avoid spoilers until the 30th. That's the first free day that my gf can go, and she wants to see it. (I can go by myself, but our movie theaters are horrible here. Closest really good one is in Jacksonville, 45 minutes away.)
    So...I have no doubt I will have gotten a few clues by then, but will do my best to maintain ignorance to most of it. My main concern was hearing that it wasn't good, and that concern got blasted out of the water since the premiere. Waiting for Christmas will be easier than waiting for the 30th.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by -jk; 12-11-2017 at 06:31 PM. Reason: spoiler tag
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Spoiler!
    If someone is frozen in carbonite . . . .

No matter what, it certainly will be a set-up for IX so I would expect a cliff-hanger as to whether good can triumph over evil.
    Last edited by -jk; 12-11-2017 at 06:32 PM. Reason: spoiler

So, here is my quick review... longer thoughts later.

This may be the most emotional film yet in the Star Wars universe. There are several great action set pieces and some really compelling hand-to-hand (lightsaber-to-lightsaber) battles as well, but this is largely a story about characters and why they do the things they do. It has some delightful moments of humor ("Can you put a towel on or something" and "I can hear him, can he hear me?" might be my favorite lines from the entire movie) but this is a truly gut wrenching story about conflicted souls.

The biggest thing that struck me was that Star Wars is typically about light-versus-dark and yet this movie contains a heck of a lot of nuance. The good guys don't always do the right thing and the bad guys don't always do the wrong thing. We get answers to some really important elements of the story and those answers are not simple. Events can be viewed from many angles and this film shows all of those angles.

some have said it is the best film of the Star Wars universe. I would not go that far. It is very, very good but it is too long and drags at times. The story is trying to serve too many masters, giving us a lengthy side-plot featuring Finn (and Poe, to a lesser extent) that is a real waste of time in my opinion (though there are some very cool scenes during that side plot). Had the movie kept its focus on Luke, Rey, and Kylo it would have been better.

Anyway, it is still a wonderful time at the movies and a worthy continuation of perhaps the best series in film history.