Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Star Wars: The Last Jedi & Ep. 9

"I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

I believe we have a Last Jedi thread somewhere.

Excited they dropped a new trailer. Doesn't show a whole lot, obviously, but it still managed to get me far too excited.

The first trailer, frankly, just was not very interesting. I think they know they don't need to do anything to promote this film other than let people know it exists. Still, I hoped for a little more than just a few glimpses at faces and a few cryptic phrases. About the only story elements that we got is that Luke is training Rey and Luke thinks the Jedi order needs to be no more. The latter is an interesting concept.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The first trailer, frankly, just was not very interesting. I think they know they don't need to do anything to promote this film other than let people know it exists. Still, I hoped for a little more than just a few glimpses at faces and a few cryptic phrases. About the only story elements that we got is that Luke is training Rey and Luke thinks the Jedi order needs to be no more. The latter is an interesting concept.
    Agreed. It was kind of meh. Certainly nothing compared to the Force Awakens trailers, which had the hair on my neck standing up.

That said, they know everyone's reaction will be "shut up and take my money".

That's pretty much what they did with the first teaser trailer for The Force Awakens. Seriously, watch them side-by-side and check out the similarities. They both start the same way -- an opening shot of empty ground, then BOOM! Someone breathing heavily with a semi-panicked expression appears. Then, some quick glimpses of characters...a voice-over with cryptic phrases...a few quick shots of an aerial/space battle...oh look, the Millennium Falcon!...and that's it. Only difference is that when the trailer for The Force Awakens came out, we had no idea who the characters in the trailer were, and now we do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOVFvcNfvE

"I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

The new trailer includes some subtle audio from Leia, Vader, Obi Wan and Yoda.
    Last edited by El_Diablo; 04-14-2017 at 01:17 PM. Reason: added Leia

Luke thinks the Jedi order needs to be no more. The latter is an interesting concept.
    I'm not even going to assume that quote is in the movie or that it wasn't taken grossly out of context given that things from the first episode VII trailer weren't in the movie. For all we know the quote could be "The Jedi order needs to end ... the Sith for good". Once bitten twice shy.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    ... For all we know the quote could be "The Jedi order needs to end ... the Sith for good". Once bitten twice shy.
    "The Jedi order needs to end ... casual Fridays. Wookies should not wear yoga pants."

This could be fun ...

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I'm not even going to assume that quote is in the movie or that it wasn't taken grossly out of context given that things from the first episode VII trailer weren't in the movie. For all we know the quote could be "The Jedi order needs to end ... the Sith for good". Once bitten twice shy.
    While I suspect you are on to something, my hope is it's not more along the lines of the Jedi order being retired as "light only" and a new Jedi order embracing a balance of the dark and the light.

Also offers a redemption opportunity for Darth Whiny, I mean Kylo Ren.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    "The Jedi order needs to end ... casual Fridays. Wookies should not wear yoga pants."

This could be fun ...
    Agreed.

"The Jedi order needs to end...Miley Cyrus"

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Agreed.

"The Jedi order needs to end...Miley Cyrus"
    Good luck with that. Look what she did to Kylo Ren's mask!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Really stirring behind the scenes video here. Everyone talks about how surprising the story is. I think the George Lucas days of the dark being all evil and the light being all good may be behind us.

-Jason "is it December yet?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

So, I am changing this from a Last Jedi thread into a general Star Wars collector thread and am kicking it off with news that JJ Abrams has been hired to write and direct Episode 9. Apparently, Rian Johnson, who is doing episode 8, passed on doing episode 9, even though I really doubt he would have had time to do it with the May 2019 release date set in stone. Rian is still in edit on Episode 8 and will certainly need some kind of break before starting his next project. The word on the street is also that executives at Lucasfilm are really, really hands on and Rian wants to move onto things where he will have more control.

Hardly a surprise that JJ is doing this. He does not have any other directing projects on his plate at the moment and he has been very involved in the overall story structure since he was hired to do Force Awakens. He is going to have Chris Terrio, who won an Oscar for writing Argo, as his co-writer (Disney can't afford to hire any less than the best for these films).

After initially trying some younger, edgier directors for the Star Wars universe (Gareth Edwards and Colin Treverrow were both under 40 when hired to make Rogue One and Episode 9, Phil Lord and Chris Miller were 41 when they started work on the Han Solo movie) Lucasfilm has decided they want to go with the tried and true for their films. That is why the last three directors hired have been Ron Howard (63) for Han Solo, Stephen Daldry (57) for the Obi Wan film, and now JJ (51) for episode 9. All three of those guys have muuuuuch longer track records than the other guys -- though it should be noted that Rian (Looper), Gareth (Godzilla), Colin (Jurassic World), and Lord/Miller (Lego movie/Jump Street) had some excellent success stories before coming to Star Wars.

So, bottom line -- it seems like Lucasfilm is playing it safe with Star Wars, hiring established directors who will do quality work but probably not push the envelope. I guess I am ok with that. I suppose they think that Star Wars is too valuable for Lucasfilm to take any risks. I must admit, it would be really frustrating for a Star Wars film to be a total dud and we are all so enthralled with the characters/story/universe that even if the films are merely average, we will probably love them and they will make a $$billion+ worldwide.

-Jason "I loved what JJ did with Force Awakens, so I am fine with him doing Ep. 9... safe pick but they just can't screw this up" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I must admit, it would be really frustrating for a Star Wars film to be a total dud and we are all so enthralled with the characters/story/universe that even if the films are merely average, we will probably love them and they will make a $$billion+ worldwide.
    Jar Jar and I assume that is tongue in cheek.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

So, I am changing this from a Last Jedi thread into a general Star Wars collector thread and am kicking it off with news that JJ Abrams has been hired to write and direct Episode 9. Apparently, Rian Johnson, who is doing episode 8, passed on doing episode 9, even though I really doubt he would have had time to do it with the May 2019 release date set in stone. Rian is still in edit on Episode 8 and will certainly need some kind of break before starting his next project.
    So, I just saw that Lucasfilm has moved the release date of Episode 9 from May 2019 to December 2019. Not surprising at all, but it really shows that Rian wanted out, not that he would not have time to work on the film.

It also means Disney shifts some of its firepower from the summer of 2019 to the end of that year. Disney's release slate for summer 2019 was truly something amazing to behold. Prior to moving Star Wars Ep 9, here was the calendar for 2 summers from now:

Avengers 4 - May 3
    Star Wars 9 - May 24
    Toy Story 4 - June 21
    Spiderman: Homecoming 2 - July 5
    Lion King (live action directed by John Favreau) - July 19

Ok, that is 5 movies in 2 1/2 months that are all expected to make over $300 million (in some cases, waaaay more than $300 million). Disney moved Star Wars to December 20th and move the live action Aladdin (with Will Smith as the genie) from that date to the May 24th date. It is better spacing on their part.

-Jason "with Disney owning Pixar, Lucasfilms, and Marvel, it is no wonder they are starting their own streaming service" Evans

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    -Jason "I loved what JJ did with Force Awakens, so I am fine with him doing Ep. 9... safe pick but they just can't screw this up" Evans
    I am so over JJ. Disappointed.

There's a lot he gets right, but he has acquired a habit of getting lazy with the stories he's involved with, to the point of insulting his audience.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    I am so over JJ. Disappointed.

There's a lot he gets right, but he has acquired a habit of getting lazy with the stories he's involved with, to the point of insulting his audience.
    I dunno if I would say it is a habit as much as it is a feature of his storytelling. JJ does a wonderful job introducing characters. He sets up compelling mysteries and situations... but he rarely has an eye on the ultimate resolution and reason for all of it. As a result, his projects tend to suffer as they approach a conclusion. Obviously, this really scares me when it comes to Star Wars 9 as that film must serve as a conclusion.

I am given hope from what he did with Mission Impossible III, which was his first film and was among the best of the strong MI series. I am still amazed at his decision to open that film with an incredibly revealing scene from the final 10 minutes of the story; bold and creative.

I also think there will be an important clue this winter in Justice League. "Wait, what is Jason talking about? Why would Justice League tell us anything?" Well, Chris Terrio has been hired to write Star Wars 9 and he wrote Justice League. If the story really works there, I'll be encouraged about Terrio's ability to bring home a strong ending to Star Wars 9. Terrio also wrote Argo (he won a Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar for that) which is a huge plus in his column... and he did major re-writes on David Goyer's script for Batman vs. Superman which is a huge minus in his column (though much of the blame there probably falls to Goyer, who is prolific enough to have some great stuff to his credit as well as some terrible stuff). Anyway, Terrio's ability to bring home a multi-character, complicated sci-fi fantasy story will be tested by Justice League. If he succeeds it will give me great hope for his ability to bring Star Wars 9 to a satisfying conclusion.

-Jason "worth noting -- Terrio's Justice League script was polished a bit by Joss Whedon (enough to give Whedon a co-writing credit), so maybe JL won't tell us that much" Evans

P.S. - Can you tell I am still bitter about Lost?

I dunno if I would say it is a habit as much as it is a feature of his storytelling. JJ does a wonderful job introducing characters. He sets up compelling mysteries and situations... but he rarely has an eye on the ultimate resolution and reason for all of it. As a result, his projects tend to suffer as they approach a conclusion. Obviously, this really scares me when it comes to Star Wars 9 as that film must serve as a conclusion.

I am given hope from what he did with Mission Impossible III, which was his first film and was among the best of the strong MI series. I am still amazed at his decision to open that film with an incredibly revealing scene from the final 10 minutes of the story; bold and creative.

I also think there will be an important clue this winter in Justice League. "Wait, what is Jason talking about? Why would Justice League tell us anything?" Well, Chris Terrio has been hired to write Star Wars 9 and he wrote Justice League. If the story really works there, I'll be encouraged about Terrio's ability to bring home a strong ending to Star Wars 9. Terrio also wrote Argo (he won a Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar for that) which is a huge plus in his column... and he did major re-writes on David Goyer's script for Batman vs. Superman which is a huge minus in his column (though much of the blame there probably falls to Goyer, who is prolific enough to have some great stuff to his credit as well as some terrible stuff). Anyway, Terrio's ability to bring home a multi-character, complicated sci-fi fantasy story will be tested by Justice League. If he succeeds it will give me great hope for his ability to bring Star Wars 9 to a satisfying conclusion.

-Jason "worth noting -- Terrio's Justice League script was polished a bit by Joss Whedon (enough to give Whedon a co-writing credit), so maybe JL won't tell us that much" Evans

P.S. - Can you tell I am still bitter about Lost?
    I think you are putting too much emphasis on Lost. I thought Fringe ended up very well, after meandering a bit in the middle. And having just suffered through Season 3 of The Leftovers and a just horrible conclusion, I'm ready to saddle Lindelof with Lost's sins.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I think you are putting too much emphasis on Lost. I thought Fringe ended up very well, after meandering a bit in the middle. And having just suffered through Season 3 of The Leftovers and a just horrible conclusion, I'm ready to saddle Lindelof with Lost's sins.
    But Lindelof also did Cowboys & Aliens, Prometheus, Star Trek: Into Darkness, World War Z, and Tomorrowland, all of which had great endings that were totally in sync with the rest of the story... wait. Ooooooohhhhhhhhh, I am starting to see a pattern here.

-Jason "I sorta can't believe this website exists... but I sure can understand why it does!" Evans

Really stirring behind the scenes video here. Everyone talks about how surprising the story is.
    I only sort of just noticed this... three actors and Rian all mention something about the story being shocking. They clearly think they have some kind of moment analogous to the Empire Strike's Back big reveal. What is it? The obvious, probably true choice is a revealing of Rey's origin. But there's another possibility that was maybe already revealed with the title. The "Last Jedi" refers to Luke, and they went out of their way to put it in the bad-guy-color of red...