Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: On to 2017-2018

On to 2017-2018

So now that the ugliness of the NCAA tournament has reached its disgusting conclusion, time to turn the page.

Where are we for the upcoming season?

Obviously there is still a tremendous amount of uncertainty. There can still be movement into, and out of, the draft. And there can be movement among the incoming freshmen.

Just looking at Duke, however, there's plenty of reason for this to be a bright, beautiful, sunshiny blue day.

1) With Bolden returning, we have a post player who was considered NBA one-and-done talent before injuries essentially trashed his freshman year. If he can stay healthy for the off-season, and use the experience of his first year as motivation, he could have a heck of a sophomore campaign

2) Our backcourt should be sensational. Allen, Kennard, and Jackson all appear, at this moment, likely to return.

3) DeLaurier and Vrank both showed potential to develop into significant contributors in their sophomore and junior (respectively) seasons.

4) Carter and Trent both should be impact players this season, with Carter complimenting Bolden and Trent adding to a loaded backcourt.

If there are no more departures from Duke, as much as we'll miss Jefferson and Matt Jones, and Tatum and the Potential-of-a-Healthy-Harry-Giles (I'll never forget that block-to-throwing-down-the-alley-oop moment against UNC, Harry...thank you for that), this team will be more mature in the backcourt, with plenty of talent and depth to contend for a title.

And that's the job: forget what the NCAA may or may not do to the TarHeels' fraudulent record (fwiw - the 2017 title shouldn't be touched unless some evidence is found that this team was ineligible). Our friendly neighbors just became the ACC team with the most recently won national championship. Time to take that away from them.

Addendum: Edited to correct the errors accfanfrom1970 pointed out. Thanks for the assist. Time for more coffee.
    Last edited by davekay1971; 04-04-2017 at 09:12 AM.

Pace?

3) DeLaurier and Vrank both showed potential to develop into significant contributors in their sophomore seasons.

Vrank will be a junior...

4) Pace and Trent both should be impact players this season, with Pace complimenting Bolden and Trent adding to a loaded backcourt.

Pace? You mean Carter? Carter will be an impact player...

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    3) DeLaurier and Vrank both showed potential to develop into significant contributors in their sophomore seasons.

Vrank will be a junior...

4) Pace and Trent both should be impact players this season, with Pace complimenting Bolden and Trent adding to a loaded backcourt.

Pace? You mean Carter? Carter will be an impact player...
    Yep. You're right on both counts. Carter. From Pace Academy. And yes. Impact player.

Kennard is gone imo. Stock will never be higher plus he turns 21 in june. Risk is to high to return. Grayson probably returns.

Duvall comes to duke and we soar again...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Duval
    Frank
    Knox
    Wendell
    Bolden

Allen
    Trent
    Javin/vrank

Jack and alex for garbage pt

Quote Originally Posted by olegreg View Post
    Kennard is gone imo. Stock will never be higher plus he turns 21 in june. Risk is to high to return. Grayson probably returns.
    yeah, I think it is enormously unlikely that Kennard and Allen both return.

I think it unlikely we have more than one of the three guards back (jackson, kennard, grayson). Then hope for duvall. And knox. That is it.

Starting 5
    Duvall
    Jackson
    Knox
    Carter
    Bolden

I know nothing. Just guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    1) With Bolden returning, we have a post player who was considered NBA one-and-done talent before injuries essentially trashed his freshman year. If he can stay healthy for the off-season, and use the experience of his first year as motivation, he could have a heck of a sophomore campaign
    This is just a guess, but while I think injuries were responsible for Giles' poor play, I don't think that's the case for Bolden. He just looked pretty lost out there to me. So it seems more likely to me that he is just a talented player who needs practice and time to develop and learn. I do expect him to be much better next year, though.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    as much as we'll miss Jefferson and Matt Jones
    Yeah, this is the biggest question for me. We're losing our two (three with Tatum?) best defensive players on what was not a great defensive team. I think we're overrated right now as one of the Vegas favorites heading into next season because of this. I do think we have a chance to be a really good defensive team, but it's far from a given.

Quote Originally Posted by olegreg View Post
    Duval
    Frank
    Knox
    Wendell
    Bolden

Allen
    Trent
    Javin/vrank

Jack and alex for garbage pt
    There is absolutely no way that Allen would be coming off the bench if he returns. A senior captain, former All-American coming off the bench? Nah. Not gonna happen.

If we are fortunate enough to get Duval and Knox and retain Allen, then one of Jackson, Bolden, and Knox would come off the bench.

Jeter?

Why is there no discussion of Jeter? If he gets healthy and has a good summer, he could be a factor next season. If he is, the team can be very large inside.

Quote Originally Posted by devilpadre View Post
    Why is there no discussion of Jeter? If he gets healthy and has a good summer, he could be a factor next season. If he is, the team can be very large inside.
    Umm... you might want to read a few more threads. I suggest the "Jeter gone" thread.

Still way too many unknown variables:

Luke, Grayson, Frank, Duval, Knox, and Bamba.

Quote Originally Posted by devilpadre View Post
    Just a guess, but maybe because he formally announced that he's transferring.

From everything I gather, luke leans to declare and grayson to return. Duval seems to have a shoe in. Bamba no clue. Knox unc or duke, says he committing in April after jordan brand game. Fully expect berry and bradley to still have there names in the nba draft. Givin the time frame he set I say Duke. Said he wants to be 1&done and a national championship.

Here are my questions for next season.

1) The obvious one with will Grayson or Luke be back?

2) Who is going to play defense on next years team? As was mentioned earlier, this was one of the poorer defensive teams in the nation, and with Amile, Matt, and Jayson all gone, they only get worse on that end of the floor.

3) Point guard, Duke needs one and fast. I'm not sold on Frank being a point guard in Coach K's system. I haven't really looked into any grad transfers but Duval would help a little (still not the true point guard coach k loves to have)

All in all, this was a very up and down year as a fan but can't wait until October. I'm from South Dakota and if anyone would like to host a guy from the midwest during basketball season I'm all ears.

Duval is good at basketball like really good. He helps 110%. He's top 5 player in his class.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilby_10 View Post
    Here are my questions for next season.

1) The obvious one with will Grayson or Luke be back?

2) Who is going to play defense on next years team? As was mentioned earlier, this was one of the poorer defensive teams in the nation, and with Amile, Matt, and Jayson all gone, they only get worse on that end of the floor.

3) Point guard, Duke needs one and fast. I'm not sold on Frank being a point guard in Coach K's system. I haven't really looked into any grad transfers but Duval would help a little (still not the true point guard coach k loves to have)

All in all, this was a very up and down year as a fan but can't wait until October. I'm from South Dakota and if anyone would like to host a guy from the midwest during basketball season I'm all ears.
    Dude... what? Duval is the top PG in the class and #5 overall in the RSCI. He's a pure point guard and most likely would help tremendously.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    This is just a guess, but while I think injuries were responsible for Giles' poor play, I don't think that's the case for Bolden. He just looked pretty lost out there to me. So it seems more likely to me that he is just a talented player who needs practice and time to develop and learn. I do expect him to be much better next year, though.
    Well, I suppose Coach K could be just protecting his player, but he's repeatedly said this season that injury affected Marques' season, including in yesterday's press release:

“We’re thrilled that Marques will continue to be part of our program,” Krzyzewski said. “In addition to being a talented basketball player, he’s an outstanding young man from a great family. It’s unfortunate that his freshman season was impacted by injury, but he has an opportunity to have a great summer and a special sophomore season.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Yeah, this is the biggest question for me. We're losing our two (three with Tatum?) best defensive players on what was not a great defensive team. I think we're overrated right now as one of the Vegas favorites heading into next season because of this. I do think we have a chance to be a really good defensive team, but it's far from a given.
    For sure. Let's complete a starting lineup first before thinking about favorite status.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Dude... what? Duval is the top PG in the class and #5 overall in the RSCI. He's a pure point guard and most likely would help tremendously.
    Ok the "help a little" was an understatement but am I the only one who misses having a point guard Coach K can have for 3-4 years and can run a team like a veteran?