Thread: BBS Tips

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BBS Tips

Here are a few of my favorite tips for our BBS system:

User Control Panel Towards the top of the page, there is a User CP link. This lets you edit your personal preferences for the Board. Many defaults can be can be changed in "Edit Options". Please make sure you have Time Zone set to "Automatically detect DST settings".

Posts per Page In the User CP > Edit Options, you can choose how many posts you want to see per page if you use linear view (recommended, see below). I think 10 is the default; I like 20.

Go to First New Post Probably my favorite tip. This feature let's you pick up where you left off, jumping to the oldest unread message in a thread, without scrolling through to find it yourself. You must use Linear View (the one with all the posts on one or several pages). Useful for the really long threads, though you must be logged in for it to work. In any particular forum, just to the left of an unread thread's subject, there's a small, blue box with an arrow pointing down. Click that arrow to jump to the first unread message. (If you float your mouse over the arrow, it says "Go to first new post".)

Preview Post There is a "Preview Post" button you can click when creating a new message. If you're quoting, creating tables, or using other formatting codes (see below), please preview to check yourself before posting.

Quoting Rather than hitting Reply, use the Quote button and leave the link-back code (the part at the very beginning), so readers can jump back to the original quoted message. Do strip the parts of the quote out you're not addressing and leave the parts you are, but make sure to leave the "[quote]" and "[/quote]" tags intact.

Stats Put stats and other tables between the tags "[code]" and "[/code]" (see VB Tags, next) and it'll make your post much more readable. A slightly easier way is to just use the Courier font in the WYSIWYG editor (User CP > edit options), but note that the BBS system strips multiple spaces down to a single space which can squeeze your table. The Code tag doesn't strip spaces.

VB Tags Our board supports most of the tags listed here. You can use them to format your messages for better readability. Please don't bold entire posts, though, or otherwise make it too outlandish. "Better" not "Noisier".

Search Please use the search function before starting a new thread. Many topics have been covered already, and the Mods will probably just merge your new thread into the appropriate one.

And on that note, I'm starting a new Tips thread anyway as the original one is only somewhat relevant now. Please post any useful tips you have here. If you have questions, post them here. We'll usually delete the question after it's been answered, and may well heavily edit the answer as a Tip. If this works out well, we'll consolidate and add this to the reference sticky.

-jk

I know this has been discussed before, but some of us have had problems uploading pictures for use as avatars. Despite some of the suggestions that were offered, they didn't work and perhaps many of us gave up. I finally discovered one trick that did work. I downloaded http://www.irfanview.com/
    which stores any images that you may have saved in other files such as Paint. So, instead of using Paint, I use irfanview. Once it's downloaded, just click on file, then open, then click on the image you want uploaded, then click "open" again. It will appear on the irfan screen for resizing. To resize, being that avatar photos need to be under 100 pixels, click on "image", then click "resize/resample" and then make the necessary adjustments. Then click on file, then "save as", then give it a name. Step one is finished.

Next, on DBR, click User CP, click "edit avatar", click "browse", click "my pictures", then click the image you just resized, then click "save changes." Voila, a custom avatar.

Should we maybe have a copy of this in the stickyed reference thread?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

I'm planning to add it to the reference thread if we can get a good body of tips.

So keep 'em coming!

-jk