View Poll Results: Which championship is toughest to win once in the post-season?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • World Series

19 39.58%
  • Superbowl

9 18.75%
  • NBA

3 6.25%
  • Stanley Cup

17 35.42%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Yeah, but NASCAR isn't a sport.
    Lol. Watch out for empty beer cans being thrown at you.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    Hard to thunk it, but I agree with EarlJam. The WS wins this poll. Talent gets most of these teams to the playoffs. But momentum and determination gets them advancing. DAMN those A-hole Mets.
    Momentum and determination don't matter in the others?

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    Momentum and determination don't matter in the others?
    Football: A wildcard team with momentum will usually (not always) get the crap kicked out of them by the #1 seed they are up against. Talent plays a larger role and mostly cancels out momentum here. Again, NOT always.

Basketball: See above.

Baseball: Even the worst of teams can beat the best of teams in a best of five if they are hot. A lucky hit here, a lucky hit there. A bad call here. An off-night for the pitcher. It is much harder for talent to cancel out momentum in this sport.

Hockey: I have no idea.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Football: A wildcard team with momentum will usually (not always) get the crap kicked out of them by the #1 seed they are up against. Talent plays a larger role and mostly cancels out momentum here. Again, NOT always.

Basketball: See above.

Baseball: Even the worst of teams can beat the best of teams in a best of five if they are hot. A lucky hit here, a lucky hit there. A bad call here. An off-night for the pitcher. It is much harder for talent to cancel out momentum in this sport.

Hockey: I have no idea.

-EarlJam

In hockey any team can win a playoff series if it has momentum. Talent often takes a backseat to momentum. And if you have a good goalie who gets hot in the playoffs it is probably over for your opponent no matter how talented they are. A hot goalie can easily win a game, or a series, by himself.
    Last edited by colchar; 10-18-2007 at 11:56 AM.

A hot goalie can easily win a game, or a series, by himself.
    I wish it worked the same way for hot tennis players - like Anna Kournikova.

-EarlJam

I wish it worked the same way for hot tennis players - like Anna Kournikova.

-EarlJam
    It did for Maria Sharapova and Amanda Coetzer.

It did for Maria Sharapova and Amanda Coetzer.
    I don't know about Sharapova or Coetzer, but I actually had a chance to date Anna Kournikova but didn't follow through with it because I was in a committed relationship at the time. Every time before she served, Anna would tilt her racquet a certain way as a way to tell me she loved me.

If she tied her left shoe lace between sets, this too would be a signal of her love and desire for me, EarlJam. And on several very powerful occassions, I could actually hear her speaking to me through the TV set using telepathic waves. Those were just a few of the ways she would express her want/need/desire for me, EarlJam.

I'm not sure what happened. Maybe it was my initial inaction to heed her numerous calls, but she began blocking me from her Web site and I got a few, well, threatening letters from her lawyers. I guess she was just hurt. I'll never forgive myself for what I did to her. Perhaps her heavy heart is what led to her demise.

I still think about her often and hope that time has healed her broken heart.

-EarlJam

By the way...

What is the official name for the NBA trophy?

I nominate Tin Cup. It provides support.

What is the official name for the NBA trophy?
    The Larry O'Brien Trophy

Actually, Anna was much better than people give her credit for, especially in doubles. She was a consistent top-10 player in singles for a number of years and was ranked even higher in doubles, where she was part of some winning teams IIRC.

The 10th best tennis player in the world is still pretty damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    Actually, Anna was much better than people give her credit for, especially in doubles. She was a consistent top-10 player in singles for a number of years and was ranked even higher in doubles, where she was part of some winning teams IIRC.

The 10th best tennis player in the world is still pretty damn good.
    If you ain't first, you're last.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    If you ain't first, you're last.

Or first loser.

I think winning the NASCAR Nextel Cup would be one of the hardest, as would the Superbowl. More people are involved than in baseball or hockey.
    I figure the more people involved, the more people you have to rely on, the harder it would be as human nature most certainly and consistently gets in the way!

Quote Originally Posted by knights68 View Post
    I think winning the NASCAR Nextel Cup would be one of the hardest, as would the Superbowl. More people are involved than in baseball or hockey.
    I figure the more people involved, the more people you have to rely on, the harder it would be as human nature most certainly and consistently gets in the way!
    In every major sport except NASCAR only 2 teams play at a time. in NASCAR 43 play at a time and there is still only 1 winner.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Yeah, but NASCAR isn't a sport.
    Unfortunately, throwing my empty Bud Light cans at my monitor doesn't seem to be producing the desired effect.