Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Wow. That is an extremely favorable schedule for us.

Home only: FSU, Notre Dame, Louisville, Syracuse, UVA

Road only: Miami, GTech, Clemson, BC, and NC State

There will probably be a land mine in at least one of those road games, but to not get any of UL, Cuse, ND, FSU, and UVA on the road is crazy. It's like if you asked me "hey kAzE, which ACC teams are you most wary of playing on the road next season?"
    Agreed. Although Miami is pretty damn good. I expect that to be a loss.

Outside of that, it's pretty amazing. BC on the road? NC State? Clemson? Wow!

No "scheduling was a factor" excuse if Duke doesn't win the regular season.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I don't mean to be snippy, but this is not new news. Duke's ACC schedule was included in the very first post in this thread -- months ago.

ACC scheduling (home only, road only and home and away) for 2017-18 was first released on Feb. 12, 2016.

As we've said before, this is an extremely favorable schedule for Duke, especially a year after Duke played almost the toughest ACC schedule possible (we played nine of the top 10 teams on the road ... the one exception was Duke couldn't play itself; We played three of the top nine teams at home).

We won't know until the season plays out but it looks like we play:

(1) two top teams home-and-home (UNC and Va Tech), plus one mid-level team (Wake) and the worst team in the league (Pitt)

(2) two top teams home only (Louisville and Notre Dame); two mid-level teams home only (Virginia and FSU) and one lower level team (Syracuse)

(3) one top level team road only (Miami), four lower echelon teams road only (Clemson, Georgia Tech, NC State and BC)

A year ago, we played seven road games against NCAA teams ... just a guess, but I'm thinking hat this year we play just three such road games (at UNC, at VPI and at Miami)

You did provide Duke's home/away schedule but the link from Jim provides the entire ACC. I had not seen this before.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    You did provide Duke's home/away schedule but the link from Jim provides the entire ACC. I had not seen this before.
    Yes ... I included just Duke's home/away schedule, but the entire ACC was released Feb. 12, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Yes ... I included just Duke's home/away schedule, but the entire ACC was released Feb. 12, 2016
    I'm with you, Olympic Fan. Told my son this morning that this looked familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Thanks for the link. It's tough to figure out who that 1st ACC game will be due to different exam schedules. Some schools will play games during exams while others will not. Most schools haven't announced their non-conference schedules yet. We know the following for sure:

NO: Pitt, ND, VT, Syracuse, and Wake (99% sure for WFU).
    MAYBE: Miami, GT.
    Updated with GT and VT for Game #1. TBD: BC, Clemson, FSU, UL, UNC, NCSU, UVA.

With this bouncing back to the top. I went and looked at what it would take to try to attend the games in Portland as I am on the west coast. It is seriously a made for TV event.

They have two stadiums next to each other, the current and former homes of the Trailblazers. Duke's bracket plays in the old stadium on Thursday at the same time the cheater's bracket plays in the new stadium. They trade places for Friday. Saturday they don't play at all, apparently so everyone can watch the Ducks and Beavers play football. Then Sunday the top halves of the brackets play in the new stadium and the bottom halves play in the old stadium.

You can buy a ticket pass to all the 12 sessions, but since they run in parallel, you can only go to half of them. You can also buy a pass to just the games in the new stadium, which would mean you miss Duke's first round game and have to watch the cheats.

Presumably, if you are a Duke insider, DUAA will help you navigate it. If you are a remote Duke fan, it might be best to just wait and see what you can get on the last minute ticket apps.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    With this bouncing back to the top. I went and looked at what it would take to try to attend the games in Portland as I am on the west coast. It is seriously a made for TV event.

They have two stadiums next to each other, the current and former homes of the Trailblazers. Duke's bracket plays in the old stadium on Thursday at the same time the cheater's bracket plays in the new stadium. They trade places for Friday. Saturday they don't play at all, apparently so everyone can watch the Ducks and Beavers play football. Then Sunday the top halves of the brackets play in the new stadium and the bottom halves play in the old stadium.

You can buy a ticket pass to all the 12 sessions, but since they run in parallel, you can only go to half of them. You can also buy a pass to just the games in the new stadium, which would mean you miss Duke's first round game and have to watch the cheats.

Presumably, if you are a Duke insider, DUAA will help you navigate it. If you are a remote Duke fan, it might be best to just wait and see what you can get on the last minute ticket apps.
    Wow, I had no idea that that was the logistical format. I love it.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Wow, I had no idea that that was the logistical format. I love it.

- Chillin
    Great if you are 2000 miles away watching it on your DVR or you just want to hang around in the atmosphere. Crazy if you are trying to go to the games in person.

Thu/Fri games are likely to have a lot of empty seats.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post

I picked up a pair tickets when the PKI first hit Duke's schedule since I'm based out this way. Did the one venue only option, but middle daughter is breaking out her Duke shirt and is excited to cheer against the cheats.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    I picked up a pair tickets when the PKI first hit Duke's schedule since I'm based out this way. Did the one venue only option, but middle daughter is breaking out her Duke shirt and is excited to cheer against the cheats.
    They might not even be playing basketball by then - I hope!

I think the choice of venue is obvious: Day #2. Duke plays Portland St on Thanksgiving. Holiday should trump the locality of the opponent as far as ticket demand goes.

Time for Games in Portland?

Are the times set yet for Duke's first two games?

Quote Originally Posted by unclsam1 View Post
    Are the times set yet for Duke's first two games?
    Nope. Depends on what ESPN wants to do that day. They only have one football game scheduled that day.

Looks like the Hoyas are chickening out of the PK80...

-jk

I just have this feeling that the schedule will be announced Thursday, August 16 or Friday, August 17.

Updating Game 1 if it is 12/9-12/10 as Duke announced:
    NO: Pitt, ND, VT, Syracuse, Louisville
    99% NO: Wake (Friday game = Sunday only), UVA (exams), UNC (February-March is tradition)
    MAYBE: @Miami, @GT
    TBD: @BC, @Clemson, @NCSU, FSU

I just have this feeling that the schedule will be announced Thursday, August 16 or Friday, August 17.

Updating Game 1 if it is 12/9-12/10 as Duke announced:
    NO: Pitt, ND, VT, Syracuse, Louisville, @Clemson, @NCSU
    99% NO: Wake (Friday game = Sunday only), UVA (exams), UNC (February-March is tradition)
    MAYBE: @Miami, @GT
    TBD: @BC, FSU
    Updated. That 12/9 date Duke announced already is looking doubtful.

Yes, I was wrong about UNC wanting to deflect attention from the NCAA. It's not going to happen this week because it would overshadow football. Maybe next week.

Updated. That 12/9 date Duke announced already is looking doubtful.

Yes, I was wrong about UNC wanting to deflect attention from the NCAA. It's not going to happen this week because it would overshadow football. Maybe next week.
    I can tell you 100 percent that the delay in the announcement of the schedule is solely because of ESPN's delay in making up its mind about 2-3 games.

It has nothing to do with overshadowing football or deflecting attention from football.

The conference office has the schedule 99 percent complete, but there are always a couple of games that ESPN can't make up its mind about. A year ago, the schedule was released with one game not settled. That could happen again.

Recall the musical Damn Yankees.

Whatever Lola wants, Lola Gets.

Substitute ESPN for Lola.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Recall the musical Damn Yankees.

Whatever Lola wants, Lola Gets.

Substitute ESPN for Lola.
    Except for Sportscenter viewers