Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    What an aesthetic joy that will be to watch. First to 40 wins!
    It could take a few overtime sessions to hit 40.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    I like Michigan at UNC. They probably scheduled that one so Michigan can share their knowledge on how to take banners down...
    Got you some Zporkz for this one! GTHc!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    You left out Wisconsin at UVA.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    What an aesthetic joy that will be to watch. First to 40 wins!
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    It could take a few overtime sessions to hit 40.
    Someone in the Elam Ending thread suggested no clock, first to 70 wins. Can you imagine how long this game would take???

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    Someone in the Elam Ending thread suggested no clock, first to 70 wins. Can you imagine how long this game would take???
    It might rival the Williams-Poole match.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

CBS Has Ranking and Picks for the Challenge

It's certainly too early to really pick most of these matchups, but that didn't stop Matt Norlander over at CBS from ranking all the matchups and making picks.

Spoilers: He picks IU over Duke, which did not really seem to me to align with the analysis he wrote of the matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Looks like UVU will visit Cameron on November 11th, a day after playing at Rupp Arena. Located in Provo, down the street from BYU, UVU is coached by former UK player, and former Bzdelik-era Wake Forest assistant coach, Mark Pope.
    Interesting story about Coach Pope and his completing 3 years of medical school at Columbia Univ.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/5376071-1...-pope-forsakes
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post
    Interesting story about Coach Pope and his completing 3 years of medical school at Columbia Univ.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/5376071-1...-pope-forsakes
    And I had not realized, until seeing the story on DBR's front page this morning, that Chris Burgess is one of Pope's assistants.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    And I had not realized, until seeing the story on DBR's front page this morning, that Chris Burgess is one of Pope's assistants.
    Since it is a well-established rule on DBR that only big men can coach big men, with Pope and Burgess as coaches, I'm guessing they have some very talented big men!

Per the N&O, Duke will play Elon as the opener on 11/10.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...155161859.html

I think we have 3 more mid-major games in Cameron left on the schedule. We normally would have 4, but I'm not sure the PK80 tournament will have an "opening" round. Gaps in the schedule include between MSU and PK80, between South Dakota (12/2) and exams, and between exams and the ACC opener in very late December.

I will be very disappointed if we don't play a game in NYC in December. Ive
    planned close to 20 fraternity reunions around that game.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post

I think we have 3 more mid-major games in Cameron left on the schedule. We normally would have 4, but I'm not sure the PK80 tournament will have an "opening" round. Gaps in the schedule include between MSU and PK80, between South Dakota (12/2) and exams, and between exams and the ACC opener in very late December.

It looks like Chris Burgess will make a return to Cameron as an assistant coach for Utah valley on Nov. 11th. (UV plays at Kentucky the night before).

So this means Duke plays Elon on Fri, 11/10 and Utah Valley on Sat, 11/11? Back-to-back games seems like an interesting choice for early Nov. As a fan, I'm already excited for that weekend, and likely a friendsgiving to top it off.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    So this means Duke plays Elon on Fri, 11/10 and Utah Valley on Sat, 11/11? Back-to-back games seems like an interesting choice for early Nov. As a fan, I'm already excited for that weekend, and likely a friendsgiving to top it off.
    It also means, barring disaster (knocking on several kinds of wood as we speak), that Coach K's 1000th win at Duke will come over a program that wasn't a D-1 school (or even a 4-year school) when Coach K got his 500th.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Seems only fair, since UVU is also playing a back-to-back. How sporting of us.

I believe we did the same last year. I think coach wants to get two games in for practice and sorting out lineups before we play Michigan State that Tuesday.

We've done this quick start for several years now because of our preseason tournaments. Coach K really likes to play games in November and take much of December off. It explains why some of us may have to choose a trip to Army for football over Cameron this year, why UNC football was on Thursday last year, why any home football game that weekend must be at noon, etc.

My only concern is the possible long layover that could come between reading period and the first ACC game.

We've done this quick start for several years now because of our preseason tournaments. Coach K really likes to play games in November and take much of December off. It explains why some of us may have to choose a trip to Army for football over Cameron this year, why UNC football was on Thursday last year, why any home football game that weekend must be at noon, etc.

My only concern is the possible long layover that could come between reading period and the first ACC game.
    Yes, and in the last three years there have been back to back games scheduled in addition to the early round preseason tournament games: last year, Marist and Grand Canyon on Nov. 11-12, plus tournament games with Penn State and Rhode Island on Nov. 19-20--and with Kansas in between. Now THAT's a quick start.

In 2015-16, there was only one straight-up back to back, Siena and Bryant on Nov. 13-14, but that was followed by Kentucky on Nov. 17 and tournament games against VCU and Georgetown on Nov. 20 and 22.

In 2014-15, two tournament back-to-back weekends, against Presbyterian and Fairfield at home on Nov. 14-15 and Temple and Stanford on Nov. 20-21--again with the Champions Class game, against Michigan State, in the middle.

It will be interesting to see how much the summer trip will offset the greenness of this roster in this demanding early season stretch.

Duke has confirmed plans for the trip to the Dominican Republic in late August.

The team will leave Durham Aug. 17. They will play two public games against the DR National Team (which is ranked 19th in the world). One will be Aug. 20 in Santiago ... the other will be Aug. 23 in Sant Domingo. There may be some closed scrimmages, but right now, just two games on the schedule.

The team will return to Durham on August 24.

No mention yet of when the pre-trip practice sessions will take place. Duke will be allowed up to 10 practices to prepare for the trip, although Coach K said two weeks ago that they may not use them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Duke has confirmed plans for the trip to the Dominican Republic in late August.

The team will leave Durham Aug. 17. They will play two public games against the DR National Team (which is ranked 19th in the world). One will be Aug. 20 in Santiago ... the other will be Aug. 23 in Sant Domingo. There may be some closed scrimmages, but right now, just two games on the schedule.

The team will return to Durham on August 24.

No mention yet of when the pre-trip practice sessions will take place. Duke will be allowed up to 10 practices to prepare for the trip, although Coach K said two weeks ago that they may not use them all.
    Thanks Olympic Fan-

Please let us know as you get additional information concerning times and tickets.

This coincides with my 40th wedding anniversary. My long suffering wife is tolerating my efforts to portray the Dominican Republic as the most romantic anniversary site available.

We/I/ may go and are interested in any additional details.

The article linked on DBR earlier in the week shows Evansville on 12/20.

2 ACC games have to be played before the start of ACC season. If it's Duke's turn to have 2 byes, I would guess the ACC opener will be one of the teams that isn't taking exams from December 4-10 and represents low TV ratings. That would also take care of the super-long December break. You can play as late as 12/31/18 to get the rust off for the real ACC opener if you have the first bye.