Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Duke's bracket below. Potential 2nd-round matchup with Bamba.

The other bracket. We, of course, could not get MSU in our bracket because we're already slated to play them in the Champions Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Stephen Wiseman‏ @stevewisemanNC 17m17 minutes ago

Duke faces Portland State in PK80. Also in same bracket with Florida, Stanford, Gonzaga, Ohio State, Butler and Texas

I guess this means Duke won't play Ohio State in the ACC-B1G Challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    It's not clear whether the bracket winners play each other. I'm assuming not since I don't think Duke and Carolina would agree to potentially play each other so early in the year. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Duke's bracket below. Potential 2nd-round matchup with Bamba.

Thanks for posting. So we are playing on Thanksgiving day? I think that is a first - usually no other sports try to compete with the NFL games that day. The Thanksgiving games are likely the least interesting ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    It's not clear whether the bracket winners play each other. I'm assuming not since I don't think Duke and Carolina would agree to potentially play each other so early in the year. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    They don't. I just found the bracket:
    Bracket.jpg
    Last edited by hallcity; 05-31-2017 at 01:43 PM.

The PKI field is loaded and will provide some great early tests. I love the idea of the event and am looking forward to kicking off the season. Regarding the ACC/B10 Challenge I believe it is a rule that every four years you have to play two road games and two away games. So we are guaranteed to play on the road, and assuming it's not MSU (though I am unaware of an actual rule that would preclude us playing them twice) I would guess that we play Purdue. Even with Swanigan opting to stay in the draft literally within minutes of the deadline, they still bring back most everybody else and provide a tough road environment.

I have been doing some work with a national publication and while our preseason top 25 is not set, looking at Duke's non-conference schedule, I think Duke is in line to play:

-- top 5 (maybe top 3) Michigan State in the Champions classic

-- top 10-15 Butler in the PKI (Texas is not likely to be preseason top 25 ... if so, barely in at the bottom of the rankings)

-- top 10-15 Gonzaga or top 15-20 Oregon in the PKI

-- a ranked Big Ten opponent in the Challenge. It's looking more and more like a game at Purdue (top 15-20; Purdue lost Swanigan, but returns four other starters including Haas and Edwards)

-- at unranked St. John's

-- unranked South Dakota in Cameron

-- I'm still convinced Duke will play a quality opponent in New York (MSG, Barclays or the Meadowlands) just before Christmas

Overall, it's looking like a tougher non-conference schedule than we played last year ... balanced by a much easier ACC schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    It is my understanding that this event is actually two separate eight-team tournaments, with no crossovers into the other side of the bracket and two "champions" which do not play each other at the end. Hence the separation of conferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I have been doing some work with a national publication and while our preseason top 25 is not set, looking at Duke's non-conference schedule, I think Duke is in line to play:

-- top 10-15 Butler in the PKI (Texas is not likely to be preseason top 25 ... if so, barely in at the bottom of the rankings)

I think you meant Florida, which should also be top-15 and is probably my way-too-early pick to advance from that half of Duke's bracket to play Duke in the final.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I would guess that we play Purdue. Even with Swanigan opting to stay in the draft literally within minutes of the deadline, they still bring back most everybody else and provide a tough road environment.
    -- a ranked Big Ten opponent in the Challenge. It's looking more and more like a game at Purdue (top 15-20; Purdue lost Swanigan, but returns four other starters including Haas and Edwards)
    I'd still bet on Michigan being our opponent myself. Purdue actually owes us a return game in Cameron because we played at Purdue several years back. And we owe Michigan a return game in Ann Arbor.

Then again, perhaps I am overestimating how important it is to "balance the books" in this fashion.

-- at unranked St. John's

-- unranked South Dakota in Cameron

-- I'm still convinced Duke will play a quality opponent in New York (MSG, Barclays or the Meadowlands) just before Christmas

Overall, it's looking like a tougher non-conference schedule than we played last year ... balanced by a much easier ACC schedule
    Thanks for the helpful overview. I know that historically we have played St. John's during the meat of the ACC season but I wouldn't be surprised if that doubled as our NYC-area December game this year given the number of other premium non-conference games we have, combined with a young team.

One nit - the Meadowlands (aka Cameron north) is essentially dormant and out of commission. It has largely been replaced by the Prudential Center in Newark, where the Devils and Seton Hall play.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Thanks for the helpful overview. I know that historically we have played St. John's during the meat of the ACC season but I wouldn't be surprised if that doubled as our NYC-area December game this year given the number of other premium non-conference games we have, combined with a young team.

One nit - the Meadowlands (aka Cameron north) is essentially dormant and out of commission. It has largely been replaced by the Prudential Center in Newark, where the Devils and Seton Hall play.
    Mid-season non-conference games are scarcer these days because of the 18-game ACC schedule.
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 05-31-2017 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Holy moly. I went 16 for 16 on my guesses. I just didn't quite seed the teams correctly.

http://pkinvitational.com/brackets/
    Sporks awarded... remarkable prognostication, my troublesome friend!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

First, Troublemaker is right -- I do mean Florida (and not Oregon) as a potential opponent in the PKI finals. Florida is a borderline top 10 preseason team.

Just to make it clear, Duke gets three games in Portland, win or lose. For instance, a loss in the semifinals and Duke gets the Florida-Gonzaga loser (assuming they both reach the semis) in a consolation game. BTW: I mentioned to one Duke official today that Duke will face a hostile crowd when they meet Portland State in Portland ... his answer: "There will be more Duke fans in the stands than Portland State fans." If Duke faces Gonzaga in the finals, that might be a different story.

Second, I found out together that Duke will NOT play a game in New York before Christmas. The February game with St. John's in the Garden will be our only regular season game in New York (plus, obviously, the ACC Tournament in Barclays).

Third, while Duke-Michigan would be a great matchup in the challenge, it's unlikely because Michigan is due to be on the road this coming year. That's not written in stone -- Duke just played two straight home games in the challenge, but the insiders I talk to today think Duke at Purdue or Duke at Minnesota are more likely. Both are likely to be ranked higher than Michigan in the preseason polls. For instance, the Sporting News poll (that was updated today), has Minnesota at No. 10 and Purdue at No. 23 -- Michigan unranked.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...z1icg9m122z6f4

The ESPN recent update also leaves Michigan out of its top 25 (also Purdue, but Minnesota is in the top 15).

Troublemaker, the Challenge is different that regularly scheduled games. Purdue does not OWE us a home game. It's not about individual matchups -- it's about your home-away balance in the entire series. Duke is due a road game this year ... and so is Michigan.

I'd be willing make an internet bet that it's Duke at Purdue or Duke at Minnesota.

Troublemaker, the Challenge is different that regularly scheduled games. Purdue does not OWE us a home game. It's not about individual matchups -- it's about your home-away balance in the entire series. Duke is due a road game this year ... and so is Michigan.

I'd be willing make an internet bet that it's Duke at Purdue or Duke at Minnesota.
    Oh, I may be a degenerate, but I'm not crazy. Not touching that bet given your sources, Oly.

Duke at Purdue would be a great game. They'll be a senior laden team that's very good.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I think the Izod Center (Brendan Byrne Arena/ Meadowlands Arena) actually closed in early 2015, it might even be demolished. I am pretty sure that our game against UConn in December of 2014 was the last college basketball game and possibly the last sporting event played there. All of the regular tenants moved out like the Nets or down the road to the Prudential Center (Devils/Seton Hall) several years prior.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerDevil View Post
    I think the Izod Center (Brendan Byrne Arena/ Meadowlands Arena) actually closed in early 2015, it might even be demolished. I am pretty sure that our game against UConn in December of 2014 was the last college basketball game and possibly the last sporting event played there. All of the regular tenants moved out like the Nets or down the road to the Prudential Center (Devils/Seton Hall) several years prior.
    Any progress in the search for Jimmy Hoffa's body?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Any progress in the search for Jimmy Hoffa's body?
    For your reading pleasure:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...ticle-1.165090

"The west end zone became the "Jimmy Hoffa Memorial End Zone." Teams didn't just beat the Giants or Jets, they "Jimmy Hoffa-ed" them. Authors and cable TV sleuths searched the site and found nothing."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerDevil View Post
    The arena is still standing - I drive past it periodically. It is essentially dormant. Apparently it is used occasionally for rehearsals for acts performing at MetLife Stadium, but as you noted, there are no anchor tenants. The area is in limbo depending on if/when the American Dream project nearby moves forward. I have attended countless events there, but between the Prudential Center, MSG and the Barclays Center (plus the recently renovated and downsized Nassau Mausoleum, though that is a bit of a trek from NJ), the area has adequate similar venues that are much newer and nicer.

Jeff Goodman reporting that Duke will play at Indiana for the ACC/B1G Challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Jeff Goodman reporting that Duke will play at Indiana for the ACC/B1G Challenge.
    Tweet is here. He's also teased Notre Dame at Michigan State, Miami at Minnesota, and Michigan at North Carolina (the Mike Corey Classic). All the ACC/B1G matchups should be announced later today.