Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    It as an amazing scene.

Every player HBP is not a beanball victim. Any educated fan -- and I would think any umpire -- would know the difference between a "purpose" pitch and an ordinary hit-by-pitch.

Gausman throws a 77 mph curve ball that plunks Xavier Bogaerts in the hip.

Look at the situation. Bogaerts is leading off the second inning in a 0-0 game. You really think Gausman wants to hit the leadoff hitter in the inning in a tie game? With a slow curve?

There has been a lot of drama between the Red Sox and Orioles in the last week. I understand that the commissioner warned both teams before the game.

But this situation was created by an umpire who overreacted to an ordinary baseball play. And his overreaction has major consequences for the Orioles -- they had to tax their bullpen to go eight innings last night and that overwork is going to have a ripple effect for the next few days.

BTW; Adam Jones (the subject of racial abuse in Boston this week) was ejected from the game in the fifth, but it seems to be a simple case of arguing balls and strikes with the ump who tossed Gausman.

PS To change the subject, did anybody notice that Aaron Judge homered again last night -- 13 in 25 games. He's on pace to hit 83 homers this season. He won't get that, but still an amazing start ... he's leading the AL in HRs, runs, RBIs and OPS.
    I'm still waiting for the Sale suspension.

As to Aaron Judge, I watch the Yankees closely, and he looks like he's on another planet. It's a bit of a surprise, because of the three youngsters the Yankees called up late last year (Gary Sanchez and Tyler Austin being the others), Judge was the one who appeared to be overmatched.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    As to Aaron Judge, I watch the Yankees closely, and he looks like he's on another planet. It's a bit of a surprise, because of the three youngsters the Yankees called up late last year (Gary Sanchez and Tyler Austin being the others), Judge was the one who appeared to be overmatched.
    Judge had considerably less minor league time than the other two (though he did have 3 seasons as a college starter).
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I'm still waiting for the Sale suspension.

It is certainly a surprise, as his minor league career suggested nothing like this. He hit 20, 19, and 23 HR the last three years, with an OPS of about .850. That is of course solid, but nothing spectacular. It is also a bit fluky that virtually every ball he has hit hard has left the park. He has 13 HR... and just 3 other extra-base hits. Now, 16 extra-base hits in 104 PA is in itself an overachievement (roughly a 100 extra-base hit season), but it is accentuated by also being basically all home runs.

Just an anomaly that should be enjoyed while it can be enjoyed. Hopefully he is not another Kevin Maas.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    ... To change the subject, did anybody notice that Aaron Judge homered again last night -- 13 in 25 games. He's on pace to hit 83 homers this season. He won't get that, but still an amazing start ... he's leading the AL in HRs, runs, RBIs and OPS.
    Speaking of hot starts, National Ryan Zimmerman was just named NL Player of the Month for April. He ended the month leading the majors in batting average (.420), homers (11), RBIs (29), hits (37), extra-base hits (19), slugging percentage (.886) and OPS (1.345).

Not bad for a player many were accusing of being washed up last year. And he's a really good guy, too. Couldn't be happier for him.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    It is certainly a surprise, as his minor league career suggested nothing like this. He hit 20, 19, and 23 HR the last three years, with an OPS of about .850. That is of course solid, but nothing spectacular. It is also a bit fluky that virtually every ball he has hit hard has left the park. He has 13 HR... and just 3 other extra-base hits. Now, 16 extra-base hits in 104 PA is in itself an overachievement (roughly a 100 extra-base hit season), but it is accentuated by also being basically all home runs.

Just an anomaly that should be enjoyed while it can be enjoyed. Hopefully he is not another Kevin Maas.
    You are right that an extraordinarily high percentage of Judge's extra base hits are homers. It's unusual, but not unique.

In 1961, when Roger Maris hit 61 home runs, he hit just 16 doubles. That same year, Mantle hit 54 home runs ... and just 16 doubles.

It's kind of a statistical oddity. But he fact that Judge is hitting .330 with a .433 OBP suggests that he's not just hitting home runs. He's reached base on 44 of his 104 plate appearances -- one reason he's scored 28 runs in 25 games. I know he's not going to keep it up, but it's still fun to see ... especially with Gary Sanchez due back from injury this weekend.

Rock on, Curt Schilling.

“I don’t believe the story, given the world we live in,” Schilling said on his webcast. “I don’t believe it, for this reason: Everybody is starving and hungry to sit in front of a camera and talk and be social justice warriors. And if a fan yelled loud enough in center field for Adam Jones to hear the N-word, I guarantee you we would’ve heard and seen fans around on CNN on MSNBC, they would’ve found multiple fans to talk about what a racist piece of junk Boston is.”
    “If somebody did say it, we’re going to see it and hear about it, and I would apologize to Adam Jones for doubting him, but until then, I think this is bulls–t. I think this is somebody creating a situation.”
    https://sports.yahoo.com/news/curt-s...221447957.html

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Schilling can put a sock in it.

The one with the ketchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Nice to see Schilling gaining some confidence and speaking his mind for once.

Five o'clock thunder!

Yanks down 0-2 to the Cubs with two outs (and two on) in the ninth ... Gardner down to his last strike.

Boom ... Yankees win 3-2 and Chapman gets the save in his return to Wrigley Field.

Cardinals sweep the Braves to improve to 16-14. Thirty games is approximately 20 percent of the regular season.
    Bob Green

On way up to Detroit to break into Francisco Rodriguez's abode to pack his stuff off to Siberia. Gonna frog-march his derriere right up to the Arctic Circle, all by myself.

Maddening
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Was painful to watch the Nats up 5-2 in the bottom of the 8th, 2 outs... only to have our "closer" come in and give up a 3-run homer on his first pitch.

Oh well, at least the Wizards and Capitals both won this weekend.
    A text without a context is a pretext.

Pretty amazing game in Wrigley last night/this morning.

Chapman blows a 4-1 lead in the ninth, but the Yankees win in the bottom of the 18th when Russell makes a bad throw to the plate.

Yankees get the sweep (20-4 all-time vs. the Cubs) but the last one takes over six hours ... it ended last night after 2 am EST.

Pretty amazing game in Wrigley last night/this morning.

Chapman blows a 4-1 lead in the ninth, but the Yankees win in the bottom of the 18th when Russell makes a bad throw to the plate.

Yankees get the sweep (20-4 all-time vs. the Cubs) but the last one takes over six hours ... it ended last night after 2 am EST.
    And they ran out of baseballs!

Yankee fans have to be thrilled so far. An unexpected journey. Meanwhile, my Mets are in a freefall on and off the field.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Yankee fans have to be thrilled so far. An unexpected journey. Meanwhile, my Mets are in a freefall on and off the field.
    The one person in the Mets' organization who's secretly glad about the Harvey story? The guy who tweeted that picture of Kevin Plawecki's locker. Nutty weekend in Flushing.

Probably safe for work, but not for good taste.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    And they ran out of baseballs!

Was it just one month ago that the Mets were proclaiming themselves the city's team -- supplanting the Yankees:

http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/index..._town_now.html

There was a poll this spring that showed that in the city itself the Mets' fans had a 45-43 edge on the Yankee fans (although in the Metro area, the Yankees had a huge edge). A year ago, the Yankees beat the Mets in attendance; the Mets had slightly better TV ratings; merchandise sales were almost dead even.

And interesting topic and as much as I enjoy the Yankees' current run, I know how fragile it is. I like our future, but a few months ago, everybody loved the Mets' future too.

And interesting topic and as much as I enjoy the Yankees' current run, I know how fragile it is. I like our future, but a few months ago, everybody loved the Mets' future too.
    I'd take yours over mine in a heartbeat now. Time for some pitchers vs comic book "heroes" - Thor, Dark Knight, etc. Geesh

I find it hysterical that this Cardinals team is about three steps away from actively bad, and somehow occupies first place. I fully expect them to finish a dozen games behind Chicago, something like 90 wins to 78, but this is pretty funny while it lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I find it hysterical that this Cardinals team is about three steps away from actively bad, and somehow occupies first place. I fully expect them to finish a dozen games behind Chicago, something like 90 wins to 78, but this is pretty funny while it lasts.
    It will be interesting to watch the season unfold. St. Louis is on track to win 93 games while Chicago is on track to win 81. Lots and lots and lots of baseball left to play.
    Bob Green

Yeah the Cubs appear to be in World Series hangover mode. Defense hasn't been sharp, starting pitching hasn't been good (two starters with ERAs over 5, another with an ERA over 4), hitting hasn't been good (only two regulars with an OPS over .750, only one regular with a OBP over .350).

As Bob said, it is a long season. And thankfully for this Cubs fan nobody else in the division has jumped out to a big start (only 1.5 games back). But it would be nice to see the starters and bats wake up.