Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    DBR darling Madison Bumgarner expected to miss 6-8 weeks due to... a dirt bike accident. (You'd think that would be prohibited by his contract, but who knows).

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/di...disabled-list/
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    DBR darling Madison Bumgarner expected to miss 6-8 weeks due to... a dirt bike accident. (You'd think that would be prohibited by his contract, but who knows).

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/di...disabled-list/
    Yikes!

Giants now look to be sellers rather than buyers at the trade deadline. Cueto has an opt out after the season before huge $s kick in, so may move him to a desperate contender.

Were probably going to cut Cain loose at the trade deadline, but now may keep him all season. Get extended looks at Blach and/or Beede in the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by FadedTackyShirt View Post
    Yikes!

Giants now look to be sellers rather than buyers at the trade deadline. Cueto has an opt out after the season before huge $s kick in, so may move him to a desperate contender.

Were probably going to cut Cain loose at the trade deadline, but now may keep him all season. Get extended looks at Blach and/or Beede in the second half.
    The Giants are right in the middle of the pack in MLB, both in runs scored and runs allowed. The season is only 10% over. I think you might be shoveling dirt on them prematurely.

2017's working out a bit better for Jeb Bush than 2016 did.

A group led by former Florida Governor Jeb Bush and former New York Yankees captain Derek Jeter has won the auction for the Miami Marlins baseball team, according to a person with knowledge of the deal.
    Bush and Jeter were previously part of competing groups, but presumably have watched enough Survivor to know when to form an alliance.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-miami-marlins

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I have a lot of questions about defensive metrics a they are now constituted. Billy Ripkin had an interesting examination of those metrics recently on the MLB Network. Basically, he pointed out that in the last two years, outfielders are wildly overrated for runs saved. He pointed out that outfielders average about half as many chances as infielders, yet on the whole are credited with twice as many runs saved.

I do think McCutchen had an off year last season (which may have been caused by him playing through some injuries), but he was an MVP level player in the previous four seasons ... and he just turned 30. I think it's way too early to give up on him (as the Pirates tried to do in the offseason).
    Billy Rip sounds like a grumpy former infielder to me. Even though outfielders have fewer chances, their plays have bigger impact. If an outfielder can get to a ball in the gap or over his head, that saves at least two and sometimes three bases. Infielders usually just save one base at a time (exception being the occasional ball down the line or when they chuck a throw into the seats). So the observation of outfielders saving more runs seems plausible, or at least only *somewhat* overrated.

As for Cutch, it wasn't just an off year, it was the easily the worst offensive year in his career. I'll defer to others on the defensive side, but most Pirates fans are convinced he was playing through injuries most of the time.

And it's not a question of giving up; it's just the constraints of small-market baseball payroll management. Cutch is on the books for $14M this year, team option for almost $15M with a $1M buyout for 2018 according to Baseball Reference. The Pirates are stuck in the "Cutch-22" (see what I did there?) of watching him return to MVP form and getting pennies in the dollar on a trade in 2017 because they can't afford him and everyone knows it, or having him continue to struggle and get even less (or even nothing) because no one wants a replacement-level $15M outfielder.

It's difficult if not impossible to imagine any scenario where Andrew stays in Pittsburgh. The only one I can think of is where he says, "I love Pittsburgh so much I'll take half the market rate to stay here." If Neil Walker, who grew up in the area, wouldn't do it, why would Cutch?

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/rankings/outfield/
    "Quality is not an option!"

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    The Pirates are stuck in the "Cutch-22" (see what I did there?) of watching him return to MVP form and getting pennies in the dollar on a trade in 2017 because they can't afford him and everyone knows it, or having him continue to struggle and get even less (or even nothing) because no one wants a replacement-level $15M outfielder.
    If he returns to prior form, they won't have to take a steep discount to trade him. At that level, he's a season-changing talent, and multiple contending teams would badly want to add him if he was dangled. His contract isn't an obstacle given how little is left on it, and if he really did return to form, a pretty team friendly 2018 option only makes him more attractive. Obviously if he continues to struggle that's a different story, but if he can be the player he used to be, he's a very valuable trade piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    If he returns to prior form, they won't have to take a steep discount to trade him. At that level, he's a season-changing talent, and multiple contending teams would badly want to add him if he was dangled. His contract isn't an obstacle given how little is left on it, and if he really did return to form, a pretty team friendly 2018 option only makes him more attractive. Obviously if he continues to struggle that's a different story, but if he can be the player he used to be, he's a very valuable trade piece.
    From your pixels to God's browser. Would love nothing more than a Cutch resurgence, (ir)regardless of where he plays next season. He and Hurdle are the two people most responsible from the Buccos' transformation from perennial laughingstock to frisky wild-card underdog that you underestimate at your peril. (Just ask Johnny Cueto).

Raise the Jolly Roger!
    "Quality is not an option!"

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Billy Rip sounds like a grumpy former infielder to me. Even though outfielders have fewer chances, their plays have bigger impact. If an outfielder can get to a ball in the gap or over his head, that saves at least two and sometimes three bases. Infielders usually just save one base at a time (exception being the occasional ball down the line or when they chuck a throw into the seats). So the observation of outfielders saving more runs seems plausible, or at least only *somewhat* overrated.
    Interesting points and topic. As a grumpy former infielder (of infinitely less repute) myself, I tend to agree with Ripken on this one. Not only do outfielders have fewer chances, but a significant portion of the chances they do have are lazy fly balls that a bench player on a high school JV team would have no trouble handling (as well as usually not requiring both catching the ball and making a strong and accurate throw). Their biggest plays sometimes have bigger impact, but not that often. Cutting a ball off in the gap is usually a one base saved advantage. A diving catch of what looks like a gap double saves two and sometimes three bases, but this happens about as frequently as a corner infielder making a diving stop of a sure double/triple down the line, which has the same result. Outfielders are also not responsible for covering or backing up a base (or two), helping with rundowns, holding runners on, making tags, receiving pickoff throws or catcher's missiles, or relaying a ball to the correct base from the outfield.

In other words, an outfielders' play can occasionally have bigger impact, but usually doesn't. And just comparing chances at putouts on batted balls hit to them understates the disparity in activity, and much higher chances for errors and mental mistakes that an infielder contends with.

All that said, I can't deny that a centerfielder leaping over the fence to rob someone of a homerun is more impactful than a second baseman robbing someone of a single.

I was watching the Red Sox Yankees Thursday night and watching Chris Sale go through another strong start -- and lose. It illustrated the sabremetric argument that wins/losses are just about the least relevant stats for pitchers.

So far tis season, Sale gas stared five games. He' averaged 7.1 innings a start. He's allowed one home run and six walks in 37 innings. He leads the AL with 52 strikeouts. His WHIP is an incredible 0.770 and his ERA is 1.19.

His won loss record if 1-2.

A year ago, Rick Porcello has a solid 3.15 ERA -- fifth best in the AL. But he won the Cy Young because his Boston teammates scored more runs per start for him than anybody else in baseball and he won 22 games.

Sale's misfortune this year represents a small sample size -- but it should remind us to look beyond a pitcher's won-loss record. That's not the best measure of his performance.

Awesome game Friday night in the Bronx.

The Orioles hammer CC Sabathia early and lead 9-1 in the sixth (thanks to 470-foot home run by Machado -- the longest HR in baseball this season so far -- and grand slam by Mark Trumbo).

But the Yankees get two HRs from Aaron Judge (one of them with the highest exit velocity ever recorded), then a grand slam from Ellsbury (the first of his career) to close to 11-8.

They score three runs in the bottom of the ninth ... the last two coming on a homer from Starlin Castro to force extra innings.

The Yankees win 14-11 in the 10th on a three-run walk-off home run by Matt Holliday.

Not having Britton really hurt the Orioles. Brach, who had not given up a run all year, blew the save in the ninth and Aquino blew the game in the 10th.

PS Britton supposed to be activated Sunday. Also, news broke tonight that Bumgardner will miss three months with his shoulder injury/

After getting off to a slow start, 3-6 after first three series of the season, my Cardinals have gotten hot, won 9 of the last 11 games and are above .500 at 12-11.
    Bob Green

Any watch that 23-5 shellacking the Nationals gave the Mets? That was fun
    Makes me feel a little better about the (probable) season-ending Adam Eaton inury...
    A text without a context is a pretext.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Any watch that 23-5 shellacking the Nationals gave the Mets? That was fun
    Makes me feel a little better about the (probable) season-ending Adam Eaton inury...
    No it wasn't. (All in the perspective.)

At roughly the same time yesterday afternoon, the Mets had a position player pitching, while the Yankees had a pitcher playing 1st base. In the yankees' case, they were doing it to try and win, as opposed to waving the white flag, but ultimately the results were the same for both.

Anybody else following the drama going on in Boston this week?

It actually started last week when a Manny Machado slide injured Dustin Pedroia.

While almost everybody involved (including Pedroia) said it was just an unfortunate thing and there was nothing wrong with Machado's slide, the Red Sox have spent the last week trying to main Machado at the plate. Three different pitchers have thrown a total of five beanballs -- including a 95 mph fastball behind his head from Matt Barnes. Sale hit him Tuesday night (although to be fair, Sale drilled him low).

While that is going on, we get the story that Baltimore's Adam Jones was subjected to racial abuse at Fenway -- and several other MLB players have confirmed that Fenway is the worst racist hotbed in baseball.

Now, I don't mean to condemn all Red Sox fans -- Jones was given a nice ovation Tuesday before his first at bat.

Still, the combination of the repeated assaults on Macado and the racial abuse of Jones has got to tarnish the image of the team and the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Anybody else following the drama going on in Boston this week?

It actually started last week when a Manny Machado slide injured Dustin Pedroia.

While almost everybody involved (including Pedroia) said it was just an unfortunate thing and there was nothing wrong with Machado's slide, the Red Sox have spent the last week trying to main Machado at the plate. Three different pitchers have thrown a total of five beanballs -- including a 95 mph fastball behind his head from Matt Barnes. Sale hit him Tuesday night (although to be fair, Sale drilled him low).

While that is going on, we get the story that Baltimore's Adam Jones was subjected to racial abuse at Fenway -- and several other MLB players have confirmed that Fenway is the worst racist hotbed in baseball.

Now, I don't mean to condemn all Red Sox fans -- Jones was given a nice ovation Tuesday before his first at bat.

Still, the combination of the repeated assaults on Macado and the racial abuse of Jones has got to tarnish the image of the team and the city.
    Sale didn't actually hit Machado. His pitch went behind Machado. I think that is part of the issue: they keep missing him. So they keep trying. Not that it makes things right. The unwritten rule is you get one shot. Not five shots by three different pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Sale didn't actually hit Machado. His pitch went behind Machado. I think that is part of the issue: they keep missing him. So they keep trying. Not that it makes things right. The unwritten rule is you get one shot. Not five shots by three different pitchers.
    Given the obvious intent here, Sale should have been ejected, but he gets the superstar treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Given the obvious intent here, Sale should have been ejected, but he gets the superstar treatment.
    It's not all bad with Sale - he stepped off the mound earlier in the game to allow the ovation for Adam Jones to continue. I understand that moment is being optioned by Mark Wahlberg for a feature film.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    ...and then Gausman gets ejected in the second for hitting a guy with a breaking ball!

Quote Originally Posted by dukebsbll14 View Post
    ...and then Gausman gets ejected in the second for hitting a guy with a breaking ball!
    It as an amazing scene.

Every player HBP is not a beanball victim. Any educated fan -- and I would think any umpire -- would know the difference between a "purpose" pitch and an ordinary hit-by-pitch.

Gausman throws a 77 mph curve ball that plunks Xavier Bogaerts in the hip.

Look at the situation. Bogaerts is leading off the second inning in a 0-0 game. You really think Gausman wants to hit the leadoff hitter in the inning in a tie game? With a slow curve?

There has been a lot of drama between the Red Sox and Orioles in the last week. I understand that the commissioner warned both teams before the game.

But this situation was created by an umpire who overreacted to an ordinary baseball play. And his overreaction has major consequences for the Orioles -- they had to tax their bullpen to go eight innings last night and that overwork is going to have a ripple effect for the next few days.

BTW; Adam Jones (the subject of racial abuse in Boston this week) was ejected from the game in the fifth, but it seems to be a simple case of arguing balls and strikes with the ump who tossed Gausman.

PS To change the subject, did anybody notice that Aaron Judge homered again last night -- 13 in 25 games. He's on pace to hit 83 homers this season. He won't get that, but still an amazing start ... he's leading the AL in HRs, runs, RBIs and OPS.