MLB Names World Series MVP Award for Willie Mays

I see that yesterday MLB decided to name its World Series MVP award after Wilie Mays. We all know about, "The Catch", but I find it hard to understand how the award could be named after a player who despite having a stellar career, had a terrible record in post season play. Willie had zero HR's in the four World Series he played in and a horrible .239 BA.

If MLB wants to name an award for Mays, who is certainly deserving of such an honor, then how about one that is more fitting to his life accomplishments.

Say hey.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I see that yesterday MLB decided to name its World Series MVP award after Wilie Mays. We all know about, "The Catch", but I find it hard to understand how the award could be named after a player who despite having a stellar career, had a terrible record in post season play. Willie had zero HR's in the four World Series he played in and a horrible .239 BA.

If MLB wants to name an award for Mays, who is certainly deserving of such an honor, then how about one that is more fitting to his life accomplishments.
    Let's re-name it the Reggie Jackson award.

He never won the award. And his team never won a Series either (oops edit, they were 1-3).

Baseball was my favorite sport (until I got to Duke). My knowledge of the game was at one time encyclopedic. Willie Mays is possibly one of the five greatest players of all time, certainly top ten, but this is kinda stupid. Another honor would certainly be more fitting.

On top of that, it was done to honor the 63rd anniversary of "The Catch". 63rd huh? Unfortunately, this makes me think Willie (who is 86) is not long for this world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Let's re-name it the Reggie Jackson award.
    I hope your tongue is firmly in cheek. Yes he was Mr. October, but were you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I hope your tongue is firmly in cheek. Yes he was Mr. October, but were you serious?
    Reggie was the World Series MVP in both 73 and 77, and his stats in 5 World Series are pretty solid.

Reggie was the World Series MVP in both 73 and 77, and his stats in 5 World Series are pretty solid.
    I understand that. And the award should be named primarily for someone who excelled in the Series (and certainly sustained excellence and not just one moment, however iconic), but it must also be one of the all-time greats of the game. Therefore it has to be Sandy Koufax or Bob Gibson. I give the edge to Sandy Koufax.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Yogi Berra would have been a better choice. Most games, most times on the winning team. (He didn't win the MVP award, but six of his ten wins came before the award was created.)

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I understand that. And the award should be named primarily for someone who excelled in the Series (and certainly sustained excellence and not just one moment, however iconic), but it must also be one of the all-time greats of the game. Therefore it has to be Sandy Koufax or Bob Gibson. I give the edge to Sandy Koufax.
    Didn't type fast enough. Edit for details: Koufax was MVP in '63 and '65, and in those 2 years had a record of 4-1, 4 complete games (that will never happen again), 2 shutouts, 4 earned runs over 42 innings, and 52 strikeouts in those 42 innings. Won final game of both series. Would have done more in '63 but that was a 4-game sweep. In '64 he famously wouldn't pitch the first game because it fell on Yom Kippur, but won games 5 and 7 (on 3-days rest) with shutouts.

Reggie was more than solid, but he's mostly remembered for the 3-homer game. And Koufax is much higher on the all-time great list.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Yogi Berra would have been a better choice. Most games, most times on the winning team. (He didn't win the MVP award, but six of his ten wins came before the award was created.)
    Not a bad suggestion, but I still think it has to be someone who has won the award. Otherwise you could argue for Babe Ruth, etc.

Yogi Berra also gets my vote. He appeared in the WS 14 times, with nine championships, 39 RBIs in 259 ABs. He also caught Larsen's famous perfect game, in 1956 Berra had 10 ribbies that year, batting .360. From 1954 through 1957 (four appearances), he went 36 for 95, with 18 runs batted in and 18 runs scored.

Berra also managed two different teams in the World Series. Not too many superstars have that on their resume.

Given the Yankees' historical dominance in the Fall Classic, it makes sense to me to name it after a Yankee. Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Jeter. But my vote would go for Berra.

Not to argue with myself, but in addition to batting .326, with 15 homers in 41 games. Babe Ruth was also 3-0 as a pitcher, with an 0.87 ERA.

Try that, Yogi Berra.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Not to argue with myself, but in addition to batting .326, with 15 homers in 41 games. Babe Ruth was also 3-0 as a pitcher, with an 0.87 ERA.

Try that, Yogi Berra.
    Yogi would have caught him if The Babe had been young enough. 😂😎

I recall getting Reggie's autograph at Durham's Northgate Mall in the 1980s shortly after his playing career ended. It struck me how small he looked sitting at a table (baseball-reference lists him as 6' but he didn't seem that). If I'm recalling correctly, he was on some sort of promotional tour for Pony shoes/equipment. It was all sort of sad in the sense that here's this legend and not many folks were around. I don't believe I still have his autograph.

[Didn't realize Pony stood for "Product of NY". They were quite popular 30 years ago: https://www.kicksonfire.com/pony-history/]

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    [Didn't realize Pony stood for "Product of NY". They were quite popular 30 years ago: https://www.kicksonfire.com/pony-history/]
    That’s nothing. Adidas stands for “All Day I Defend Against Sanctions.”