Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    ...The guy is in WAY over his head. He manages as if he's never seen a baseball game.
    Too bad you don't have a series scheduled with the Tigs this year. We're super beatable. Although that home-run-a-palooza that you sat through last night was pretty freakish.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

My Cardinals are reeling, and the manager is clueless. ...
    The guy is in WAY over his head. He manages as if he's never seen a baseball game.
    The guy with a .562 career winning percentage as a manager? I do think managing a baseball game is not rocket science, but if Matheny is utterly incompetent, he's been faking competence pretty well for a number of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    The guy with a .562 career winning percentage as a manager? I do think managing a baseball game is not rocket science, but if Matheny is utterly incompetent, he's been faking competence pretty well for a number of years.
    In 2012, with no experience as a manager at any level, he was handed the keys to the team that had just won the World Series. He has had VERY good players during this stretch, and has largely wasted them. Anybody could have had a .562 percentage with the horses Matheny has had.

In 2012, with no experience as a manager at any level, he was handed the keys to the team that had just won the World Series. He has had VERY good players during this stretch, and has largely wasted them. Anybody could have had a .562 percentage with the horses Matheny has had.
    Yes but my contract would have included a "not wearing stl logo gear" clause. That was a big sticking point but I refused to give in.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

So, back to reality.

Anybody in the market for some aging, flailing stars? We've got several on that card table over by the garage door and there is another pile near the "25 cents" sign.

Just about everybody is gathering moving boxes in Detroit. With the possible exceptions of Iglesias and Fulmer, U-Haul might have some busy phone lines soon.

Can't help myself -- I have to give some love to Aaron Judge and the Baby Bombers.

After Sunday, he leads the AL in batting (.344), in home runs (21), in RBIs (47), in total bases (125), in walks(38), in OBP (.450) in SLUG (.718) and in OPS (1.168).

I know it's just 60 games, but that's a solid chunk of the season, so it's not like just a hot streak.

There is more -- Judge has hit the longest home run ever officially measured (496 feet) and the five hardest hit balls (by exit velocity) this season.

He's the best of the Baby Bombers -- although 24 year old catcher Gary Sanchez is getting hot after missing a month with injuries. The third Baby Bomber, Greg Bird, hac a great spring, but has been hurt almost all season, so far. He's due to come off the DL in late June.

Backing up the Baby Bombers are the three "Teen Age" Bombers -- Hicks, Castro and Gregorious -- all 27-year-olds having fabulous years and the two Aging Bombers -- Matt Holliday and Brett Gardner.

They've helped New York to a four-game lead over Boston in the AL East.

That said, I'm still not predicting the division title. We have four starters who have been solid, but our expected ace, Tanaka, has been terrible. We're getting little from third and first base. We've been without Chapman for the last two weeks (although he's due to return at the end of this week).

We start a West Coast road trip tonight (with Tanaka starting at the Angels). We'll see how we stand after that trip. For now, I'm enjoying the ride and especially celebrating Judge and Sanchez.

It's been a good two months for Yankee fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Can't help myself -- I have to give some love to Aaron Judge and the Baby Bombers.

After Sunday, he leads the AL in batting (.344), in home runs (21), in RBIs (47), in total bases (125), in walks(38), in OBP (.450) in SLUG (.718) and in OPS (1.168).

I know it's just 60 games, but that's a solid chunk of the season, so it's not like just a hot streak.

There is more -- Judge has hit the longest home run ever officially measured (496 feet) and the five hardest hit balls (by exit velocity) this season.

He's the best of the Baby Bombers -- although 24 year old catcher Gary Sanchez is getting hot after missing a month with injuries. The third Baby Bomber, Greg Bird, hac a great spring, but has been hurt almost all season, so far. He's due to come off the DL in late June.

Backing up the Baby Bombers are the three "Teen Age" Bombers -- Hicks, Castro and Gregorious -- all 27-year-olds having fabulous years and the two Aging Bombers -- Matt Holliday and Brett Gardner.

That said, I'm still not predicting the division title. We have four starters who have been solid, but our expected ace, Tanaka, has been terrible. We're getting little from third and first base. We've been without Chapman for the last two weeks (although he's due to return at the end of this week).

We start a West Coast road trip tonight (with Tanaka starting at the Angels). We'll see how we stand after that trip. For now, I'm enjoying the ride and especially celebrating Judge and Sanchez.

FWIW, Girardi said that Ellsbury would be the fourth outfielder when he comes off the DL. Hicks has been that good.

But, yes, an ace would be nice.

Agree with all above. And for Judge to be compared to Jeeeta as regards maturity, attitide and work ethic by the local media is saying quite a bit.

I'm glad that the Mets are reawakening and DeGrom may be back to where he should be. But of course Ces is hurt again.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    FWIW, Girardi said that Ellsbury would be the fourth outfielder when he comes off the DL. Hicks has been that good.

But, yes, an ace would be nice.
    Severino may be becoming an ace right now.

Judge did it again last night and Tanaka looked like himself. His splitter was darting out of the strike zone and making hitters swing and miss. If he is 90% of his expected self, the Yankees can win the division and compete with the Red Sox, Astros, Cubs, Nats and Dodgers. Yes, it's only 60 games but they have the highest OPS and the lowest ERA in the AL. That translates to the best run differential in the majors. If Bird hits like he did in the spring and they bring up Torres, they may solve their corner infield issues.

I think this team is for real.

Ugh, been painful to watch the Nats the past week - the bullpen collapses continue unabated.

A two-run lead in the 9th apparently is far from safe this year!

Although biggest stomach punch was the last game vs. the Dodgers, where the following sequence happened (tied 1-1 midgame):

- Strasburg throws a 3rd strike for a 3rd out, but pitch is in the dirt, and runner steals first
    - Another wild pitch and runner steals 2nd (so free 180 feet after inning should be over)
    - Next batter drives that runner in, Dodgers go up 2-1
    - Nats lead off next inning with triple. So runner on 3rd, 0 outs... you'd think they would score, right??
    - After a strikeout, pitcher luckily catches a hot comebacker and gets the man on 3rd in a rundown.
    - Nats lose 2-1.
    A text without a context is a pretext.

I knew it was coming at some point -- the Yankees hit a rough stretch on the West Coast, losing six straight to the Angels and A's.

The slide allowed Boston to move into a virtual tie for first. The Yankees are actually .002 ahead of the Sox, but Boston plays at Kansas City tonight while the Yankees are off, so the Red Sox can seize the lead.

It's not like my Yankees are playing that badly -- the six losses were by a total of nine runs.

But New York starts a short homestand Tuesday and need to get back on track.

I knew it was coming at some point -- the Yankees hit a rough stretch on the West Coast, losing six straight to the Angels and A's.

The slide allowed Boston to move into a virtual tie for first. The Yankees are actually .002 ahead of the Sox, but Boston plays at Kansas City tonight while the Yankees are off, so the Red Sox can seize the lead.

It's not like my Yankees are playing that badly -- the six losses were by a total of nine runs.

But New York starts a short homestand Tuesday and need to get back on track.
    Bound to happen, but you've been playing with house money. Any of my Yankee fan friends here would have been thrilled at this position when the season started. The quick "jelling" may have raised expectations sooner than warranted, but still a good season (and a year or two ahead of when it was anticipated by most, I think).

On the other hand, my Mets...I had no expectations and they are being fulfilled. This injury thing is killing us (although all teams have it). I am deja vu'ing our BB season last year (although the Mets never had the expectations we had...)

Can't wait for football...oh wait, I'm a Jets fan. (I take that back!)

Look out, Mets fans, Tim Tebow's coming to save the day!

Tebow was just promoted from a low-A team, despite some terrible numbers (.222 BA, 3 HRs in 272 plate appearances). His OBP is .311 and his OPS is .651 (which would be below par for a great defensive SS) -- plus he's a subpar defensive outfielder.

But he's moving up to high A ball.

The assumption by outsiders all along has been that Tebow was signed by the Mets as a sales gimmick -- last spring the Mets sold more Tebow jersies than any major league player. Now that the team is floundering, don't be surprised to see him promoted toe bigs before long to boost attendance.

The all-time record for rookie homer runs is 49 -- hit by rookie Mark McGwire. The next highest rookie total is Frank Robinson's 38 homers.

Fascinating that we have two rookies making a run at McGwire's record -- and both should have no trouble (barring injuries) of blowing past Robinson.

Just short of the halfway mark in the season, New York's Aaron Judge is leading all MLB with 26 home runs. In second place in LA's Cody Bellinger with 24.

In one way, Bellinger's total is even more impressive, since he's only had 248 Plate Appearances ... Judge has had 318.

Also, Bellinger has a tough home ball park for a HR hitter -- although Judge has hit some of the longest HRs in baseball, so that short porch in right isn't that big a factor.

Overall, Judge is a significantly better hitter so far with a .333 average, a .447 OBP and a 1.144 OPS. He has a 194 OPS plus.

Bellinger is hitting .273 with a .347 OBP and a 1.015 OPS, He has a 160 OPS-plus.

Both are good, not great defenders and above average base runners.

PS Just a meaningless coincidence, but when Babe Ruth played for the Yankees, his nickname within the team was 'Jidge" -- a corruption of Judge.

I'm hoping we get to see both is the home run derby!

The all-time record for rookie homer runs is 49 -- hit by rookie Mark McGwire. The next highest rookie total is Frank Robinson's 38 homers.

Fascinating that we have two rookies making a run at McGwire's record -- and both should have no trouble (barring injuries) of blowing past Robinson.

Just short of the halfway mark in the season, New York's Aaron Judge is leading all MLB with 26 home runs. In second place in LA's Cody Bellinger with 24.

In one way, Bellinger's total is even more impressive, since he's only had 248 Plate Appearances ... Judge has had 318.

Also, Bellinger has a tough home ball park for a HR hitter -- although Judge has hit some of the longest HRs in baseball, so that short porch in right isn't that big a factor.

Overall, Judge is a significantly better hitter so far with a .333 average, a .447 OBP and a 1.144 OPS. He has a 194 OPS plus.

Bellinger is hitting .273 with a .347 OBP and a 1.015 OPS, He has a 160 OPS-plus.

Both are good, not great defenders and above average base runners.

PS Just a meaningless coincidence, but when Babe Ruth played for the Yankees, his nickname within the team was 'Jidge" -- a corruption of Judge.

I'm hoping we get to see both is the home run derby!
    Wally Berger also had 38 homers as a rookie, for the 1930 Boston Braves. He never hit that many again, and ended up with 242 HR in an 11-year career.
    1930 was an outlier year for hitting. The entire National League had a composite BA of .303, and SA of .448.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    As a Nationals fan, I obvious perceive MLB through red and white glasses, but Trea Turner has become "must-watch" baseball, IMO. He's currently leading the majors in stolen bases with 33, and this is despite missing 10 games in April due to a hamstring injury, and then taking it easy for a while and being less aggressive on the bases as he eased back into playing at full speed. He had 3 SBs in his first 5 games, and then went on the DL. Even though he was back on April 21, he still only had 6 SBs as of May 15th. Since then, he's turned it loose. He had 7 SBs in the second half of May and has 19 so far in June, including 2 games with 4 SBs and one with 3. It's exciting viewing!
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    As a Nationals fan, I obvious perceive MLB through red and white glasses, but Trea Turner has become "must-watch" baseball, IMO. He's currently leading the majors in stolen bases with 33, and this is despite missing 10 games in April due to a hamstring injury, and then taking it easy for a while and being less aggressive on the bases as he eased back into playing at full speed. He had 3 SBs in his first 5 games, and then went on the DL. Even though he was back on April 21, he still only had 6 SBs as of May 15th. Since then, he's turned it loose. He had 7 SBs in the second half of May and has 19 so far in June, including 2 games with 4 SBs and one with 3. It's exciting viewing!
    Turner effectively got Miguel Montero kicked off the Cubs last night. Arrieta was having an awful night on the mound, and is TERRIBLE at holding runners. He is also extremely slow to the plate. The combination of allowing Turner to get huge leads (once over 30 feet!) meant that Montero (with one of the weakest arms in baseball had no chance behind the plate. Twice, Montero didn't even throw.

After the game, Montero made it clear to the media that he was getting no help from Arrieta. Today, Rizzo the captain called Montero out for being selfish. And within hours, Montero was designated for assignment.

In fairness, this probably was brewing. Montero was openly frustrated by his lack of playing time in the 2016 season/playoffs. I suspect there had been some behind the scenes tension brewing for a while and spilled over yesterday/today.

Disastrous night for the Cubs ... not only do they lose to the Cards, falling to .500 again. But they also lose Bryant, who was helped off the field with an ankle injury. Not clear how serious -- x-rays were negative, but he is definitely out Thursday.

His injury brings up something that I was thinking about. When the all-star voting was updated Tuesday, Bryant was the only cub with even an outside chance to win a starting job -- and he was barely ahead of Arenado at third.

If he loses that vote or his injury keeps him out, the Cubs won't have a starter in the all-star game. That raises the question: When was the last time the defending MLB champs did not have a starter in the next all-star game? I don't know the answer to that (off the top of my head, I might guess the 2003 champion Marlins might have been shut out in 2004. Yep, I just checked and the Marlins were shut out the year after they won it all. Still got to be very rare.

For all that, the Cubs are still in decent shape in the division -- just one game behind Milwaukee.

PS Happy to see my Yankees back in first (by .002 percentage points) after dropping to second for a night. And Judge hit HR No. 27 in the win in Comisky.

X-rays negative for Bryant. The early diagnosis is a mild-to-moderate sprain. Not clear yet if he will need a DL stint.

Might be a blessing in disguise, as he had really been struggling. This will also likely give a chance to showcase Candelario for a potential trade.

As is, the Cubs will likely just try to tread water until the All-Star break when Hendricks, Zobrist, Heyward, and Bryant should all be healthy again.

As for the All-Star game, I have a strong feeling that one of Rizzo, Bryant, and Wade Davis will be selected by Maddon as a reserve.

There are worse ways to spend an afternoon than drinking beer and watching a close to last place to team