Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Duke Baseball

Florida, state schools, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    As do the FL, NM, AZ and CA schools - 'cause of the weather.
    And speaking of state schools and the state of Florida, the scholarship situation explains why Miami is no longer the powerhouse it used to be, and why Florida is ranked #9 and FSU #12. Florida swept UM in a recent three-game series, while giving up only two runs in the process, something that never used to happen.

Things might not change unless UM manages to get some really big bucks from their big fan ARod.

And as an aside, I recently suffered through the Duke-UM basketball debacle, but I knew I had spent too much on the tickets when I saw Jeb Bush and ARod sitting nearby. I am definitely not in their tax bracket so there was no reason why I should have been sitting in their section.

I just hope that Duke baseball can extract a bit of revenge vs. UM next week. After all, Dartmouth beat them two out of three, so why not Duke?

Fully enjoyed our outing to the DBAP yesterday, except for the outcome. We lost in 10 innings 9-8 after leading 8-5 after 3.

Bot it I did get this souvenir!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Absolutely brutal loss Saturday night in Miami.

Duke is up 7-0 in the seventh when Miami rallies.

But it's 7-4 in the bottom of the ninth with two outs, one man on first and two strikes on the batter.

In fact, Duke gets two strikes on four straight batters to win the game, but instead Miami gets a three-run walk-off homer to win it, 9-7.

“I don’t know I’ve ever been part of a game where you’re one out away with a three-run lead, a runner at first, with a two-strike count on four straight hitters and can’t make the pitch to finish it,” said head coach Chris Pollard. “I’ve never been a part of a game like that. It’s frustrating. I’m disappointed for our guys. I’m disappointed for Mitch Stallings who threw a terrific ballgame. We’ve got to do a good job of scrapping ourselves off the mat and getting ready to play tomorrow.”

Duke is now 16-16 overall and 5-8 in the ACC.

Duke at Miami on ESPNU right now. A pleasant find on the TV. Duke leads 2-0 heading into the bottom of the 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    Duke at Miami on ESPNU right now. A pleasant find on the TV. Duke leads 2-0 heading into the bottom of the 5th.
    yea, I'm watching it right now. I don't ever remember seeing Duke baseball on ESPN (at least during the regular season)!

Our relief pitching must really suck. We went to Durham last week and saw us blow a 3'run lead to lose 9-8 in 10 innings. And now we are tied 2-2 after Miami tied it in the 7th. Grrrr

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    yea, I'm watching it right now. I don't ever remember seeing Duke baseball on ESPN (at least during the regular season)!
    My listings suggest that we were on ESPNU back in 2015.

If only somebody on the board routinely provided TV and internet broadcast information for upcoming non-Basketball/non-Football Duke games approximately 12-24 hours before each event...

Duke wins 5-2 in 10.

Some timely hitting with men on base surely helps! Big win for our guys! Congrats! LGD GTHc!

9F 9F 9F

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Thanks for the heads up last night. I switched over to the game and watched from the bottom of the seventh to the victorious end in the bottom of the 10th. Our boys got it done despite losing the two run lead. Gutsy.

While there is obviously not a lot of interest in Duke baseball this spring, I couldn't let Thursday's game pass without notice.

Duke, having as tough season, just upset No. 3 North Carolina 8-4 in Chapel Hill. It's the first of a three-game series.

Just as importantly, it clinched Duke a spot in the ACC Tournament.

Still need one more baseball win to insure a clean sweep over UNC this year -- 1-0 in football, 2-1 in men's basketball and now 1-0 in baseball.

The ACC has frequently been an eight-bid league, so making the ACC tournament is a big deal. Winning a game or two would be even bigger.

Would be nice if Duke were to make the NCAA for the second consecutive season.

For my own selfish interests, would be even better if they got shipped out to play in a regional in Fullerton.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    The ACC has frequently been an eight-bid league, so making the ACC tournament is a big deal. Winning a game or two would be even bigger.

Would be nice if Duke were to make the NCAA for the second consecutive season.

For my own selfish interests, would be even better if they got shipped out to play in a regional in Fullerton.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they expanded the ACC Tourney to 12 teams this year. Still, it's a good accomplishment to make the field. The ACC is very tough this year. I think 4 teams are in the top-10 nationally.

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they expanded the ACC Tourney to 12 teams this year. Still, it's a good accomplishment to make the field. The ACC is very tough this year. I think 4 teams are in the top-10 nationally.
    That is correct. We still have an outside chance of finishing in the top 8.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    While there is obviously not a lot of interest in Duke baseball this spring, I couldn't let Thursday's game pass without notice.

Duke, having as tough season, just upset No. 3 North Carolina 8-4 in Chapel Hill. It's the first of a three-game series.

Just as importantly, it clinched Duke a spot in the ACC Tournament.

Still need one more baseball win to insure a clean sweep over UNC this year -- 1-0 in football, 2-1 in men's basketball and now 1-0 in baseball.
    Don't forget 1-0 in men's lax. Sweet! Come on Devils . . .

The Boys of Summer lost a tough one yesterday to the baseball version of the cheating vermin, 3-2 in 10 innings.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    The Boys of Summer lost a tough one yesterday to the baseball version of the cheating vermin, 3-2 in 10 innings.
    And finished the series with a 9-7 loss Saturday.

And finished the series with a 9-7 loss Saturday.
    A win would have been fabulous to take the series but two close losses to a highly ranked, though dishonest institution, is still pretty respectable. Damn.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

The field is set for the 2017 ACC Tournament, which opens Tuesday and runs through Sunday in Louisville (it was supposed to be in Durham, but was moved during the HB2 controversy).

It's a new format this year -- four three-team pools. Each team plays the other two teams in its pool and the four teams that have the best record in their pools advance to a four-team, single-elimination tournament Saturday and Sunday.

Duke is the overall No. 9 seed and will be in a pool with No. 4 Virginia and No. 5 Clemson.

Specific game times will be announced Sunday.

The field is set for the 2017 ACC Tournament, which opens Tuesday and runs through Sunday in Louisville (it was supposed to be in Durham, but was moved during the HB2 controversy).

It's a new format this year -- four three-team pools. Each team plays the other two teams in its pool and the four teams that have the best record in their pools advance to a four-team, single-elimination tournament Saturday and Sunday.

Duke is the overall No. 9 seed and will be in a pool with No. 4 Virginia and No. 5 Clemson.

Specific game times will be announced Sunday.
    New format really benefits the best seed in each pod. As a UVA fan, we just need to beat the winner of Duke/Clemson and we advance. I'm pulling for Duke to beat Clemson on Tuesday and then UVA to beat Duke on Thursday. Then, we can rest our guys vs. Clemson on Friday and get ready for the Pool A winner (likely Louisville). Duke has to go 2-0 in the pool to advance. Good luck guys!